Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickey23
    I'm just gonna say that I agree with both you and golfbooy about wanting quality character time between Daniel and other members of SG-1 (specifically, Sam and Teal'c, as they all have a long history together).
    Spoiler:
    And I also do not like to see the whole Daniel/Vala ship thing, and was rather annoyed at Daniel's "It wasn't a date!" thing (ok, so a flustering Daniel is kinda adorable, but that isn't the point). It shouldn't have been a date!
    However, I really did like how Daniel reacted at the end when Vala pointed a gun at him. He was calm and soothing, trying to talk Vala into remembering him and not shooting, saying she was a good person, etc. Then, when she needed it, he gave her a big hug to let her know she wasn't alone. To me, that is not a Daniel/Vala relationship thing, but a Daniel/Vala friendship thing. He would do that, be there, for any of his friends who needed to be supported and comforted. Sure, the D/V shippers will read a lot into that moment, but I don't think there was anything sexual about it. Then again, that's just my opinion.
    Interesting you should say that (speaks really quietly so that Dani can hear Daniel lecturing and won't have to put her fingers back in her ears)
    Spoiler:
    on the AOL vingette, when that scene was on its own, I thought it was a really strong moment. But quite a lot of hte strength I felt in the vingette was lost when I actually got to see the scene in its proper place in the episode. I dunno. It was probably my being so pissed off at the complete and utter lack of Sam and TEal'c and the cheesy flashback to make Vala rememebr that took the strength out of the scene.
    I agree, tho, it was purely friendship. Daniel cares about Vala as a friend, and as a friend he wanted to help her and tell her it's alright. Back to the discussion I missed earlier this week about Daniel reaching out to people in need. That's who he is, that's what he does. Especially Vala - he does care about her, ship or no ship - and so reaching out for her.

I was, however, ocmpletely and utterly pissed he kept on looking for her while hte Trust was shooting the rest of SG1. Er, WTF? I know I already complained about it in the episode discussion thread, and yet. Daniel knows that finding Vala is in a little lower priority than preventing his friends fvrom being killed.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Ok, quick comment. We had talked about Daniel's glasses earlier. I really didn't like how they looked on him in "200."
      But now, watching "Memento Mori," I think they look really good on him. It may be that I am getting used to them, or the angle of the cameras, or whatever. But, yeah, they look good on Daniel. They fit his face so much better.
      Ooh, back on.
      I LOVE Daniel's new glasses, they do look really good on him!
      Spoiler:
      Did they change them after MS came back or have they been the new ones all season? Maybe it's b/c he was gone and then came back but yeah...HOT!

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict
        I LOVE Daniel's new glasses, they do look really good on him!
        Spoiler:
        Did they change them after MS came back or have they been the new ones all season? Maybe it's b/c he was gone and then came back but yeah...HOT!
        I think he had the old ones for the first 3 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista
          I think he had the old ones for the first 3 episodes.
          He did. 200 was the first episode we saw them, after Daniel came back from doing research on Merlin's weapon on Vagonbrie and in England - and they didn't even give the change a token nod in the episode! Argh!

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger
            He did. 200 was the first episode we saw them, after Daniel came back from doing research on Merlin's weapon on Vagonbrie and in England - and they didn't even give the change a token nod in the episode! Argh!
            Honestly, did you expect them to acknowledge the new glasses? They didn't even say anything when Daniel cut his hair!
            I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
            Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Honestly, did you expect them to acknowledge the new glasses? They didn't even say anything when Daniel cut his hair!
              True enough, but that almost fit - I mean it occurs when Hathor has captured them and apparently she did it, for whatever reason. A comment/tag would have been nice but it didn't fit within the bounds of the episode while they were trying to escape. Here, I was remembering the little exhange they had over Teal'c's 'catapillar' (can't remember the episode!!!) where Daniel starts to ask about it and Jack warns him off - that's all I was looking for in 200. Maybe a throw away line from Vala about 'nice glasses' and then getting distracted by something else. Shrug! A simple momentary opportunity the writers/director lost.

Maybe it's on the cutting room floor. I'm hoping theres something in the commentaries about it. Sigh!

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger
                True enough, but that almost fit - I mean it occurs when Hathor has captured them and apparently she did it, for whatever reason. A comment/tag would have been nice but it didn't fit within the bounds of the episode while they were trying to escape.
                The only acknowledgement I saw with the hair was in Into the Fire at the very end when the camera is pulling away, Jack reaches up and musses up Daniel's hair.
                I suppose in 200 he was supposed to have been back for a while already and they probably commented on the glasses right when he showed up for work rather than later at the briefing.

Comment

About tonight's episode "Company of Thieves":
                  Spoiler:
                  Ok, so obviously I haven't seen the episode yet, but I am disturbed that yet again, it seems Daniel and Vala are separated from the rest of SG-1. According to Gateworld spoilers, "The capture of the ship is a great victory, but Avateo wants more: he uses it as bait to try and capture SG-1. He is partially successful, capturing Daniel and Vala." OK, granted it seems like all of SG-1 are separated for this episode, but the fact that they are once again together, but apart, just annoys me.
                  Hopefully, I am wrong about this and they are all together like a wonderful team. Wishful thinking!

Comment

About tonight's episode "Company of Thieves":
                    Spoiler:
                    Ok, so obviously I haven't seen the episode yet, but I am disturbed that yet again, it seems Daniel and Vala are separated from the rest of SG-1. According to Gateworld spoilers, "The capture of the ship is a great victory, but Avateo wants more: he uses it as bait to try and capture SG-1. He is partially successful, capturing Daniel and Vala." OK, granted it seems like all of SG-1 are separated for this episode, but the fact that they are once again together, but apart, just annoys me.
                    Hopefully, I am wrong about this and they are all together like a wonderful team. Wishful thinking!
                    Wow, responding to myself. How lame.
                    Spoiler:
                    So, I was wrong, wrong, wrong about this episode. Daniel and Vala weren't totally alone, they were with Sam. Still, they didn't do much interacting. And very little with Teal'c or Mitchell.
                    And, what was with the goofy Daniel Jackson? (On the Odyessy bridge, with the interaction with Netan) We've seen more of this DJ lately, and I'm not sure how much I like him. I am all for lighthearted and joking Daniel, but to me, the DJ of tonight just seems opposite his personality. Daniel's snarky, sarcastic wit (usually seen with Jack) seems to fit his personality better. But that's just me. What does anyone else think about DJ's new 'humor'?

On a different note - this may have been brought up earlier here, but what do you think about Daniel and Mitchell calling each other "Jackson" and "Mitchell?" Does anyone think anything of the fact that after one and a half years, they don't call each other by their first names? Is it a sign of respect? Jack and Daniel went by first names pretty early on in the show, and even in the first season, Daniel and Sam went from "Dr. Jackson" and "Captain-Doctor Carter" to first names.
                    The use of last names actually doesn't bother me. Personally, I like the formality between Daniel and Mitchell (but then I am of the belief that no one can replace Jack, and the dynamic that works between Jack and Daniel won't work between Daniel and Cam). But my question here is, what does anyone else think about the name thing?

Comment

The use of last names actually doesn't bother me. Personally, I like the formality between Daniel and Mitchell (but then I am of the belief that no one can replace Jack, and the dynamic that works between Jack and Daniel won't work between Daniel and Cam). But my question here is, what does anyone else think about the name thing?
                      I understand why they're doing it, but it does bother me for totally selfish reasons. I think Daniel calling Cam, Mitchell is fine (for some reason especially since Sam is calling him Cam.....I don't know why that would make a difference, but it does to me). But I don't like Mitchell calling him Jackson. I think it's because it makes him sound more "soldiery" (yes, I made that word up). The name Daniel always makes me think of the biblical Daniel (known for being handsome, young, super intelligent, learned in many languages, a scholar, and a great negotiator even with the kings who rule over him) as well as being a name that sounds strong yet not "macho". The name "Daniel" just embodies everything that I think that the character embodies. The name "Jackson" makes me think of an action hero or something. It's kind of harsh sounding. Someone pointed out in another thread that there is a character in "Saving Private Ryan" that is named Private Daniel Jackson and he's the sniper of the group. I could see that guy being called "Jackson". Our guy is "Daniel" to me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mickey23]Wow, responding to myself. How lame.
                        Spoiler:
                        So, I was wrong, wrong, wrong about this episode. Daniel and Vala weren't totally alone, they were with Sam. Still, they didn't do much interacting. And very little with Teal'c or Mitchell.
                        And, what was with the goofy Daniel Jackson? (On the Odyessy bridge, with the interaction with Netan) We've seen more of this DJ lately, and I'm not sure how much I like him. I am all for lighthearted and joking Daniel, but to me, the DJ of tonight just seems opposite his personality. Daniel's snarky, sarcastic wit (usually seen with Jack) seems to fit his personality better. But that's just me. What does anyone else think about DJ's new 'humor'?

Spoiler:
                        I wonder who decided that he should play it that way. Was it written into the script, did the director tell him this was a comedy portion, did MS decide to play it that way and they let him run with it? It was odd. It was odd that they decided to play it for laughs at all. They had Mitchell and Teal'c in a serious position. Sam had seen Emerson killed. Did they decide that they needed Daniel and Vala to keep the episode from being too serious, so he got stuck with the comedy part?

On a different note - this may have been brought up earlier here, but what do you think about Daniel and Mitchell calling each other "Jackson" and "Mitchell?" Does anyone think anything of the fact that after one and a half years, they don't call each other by their first names? Is it a sign of respect? Jack and Daniel went by first names pretty early on in the show, and even in the first season, Daniel and Sam went from "Dr. Jackson" and "Captain-Doctor Carter" to first names.
                        I actually don't think it's meant to be formal. Some men do call each other by their last names. On House, House and Wilson are best friends and as far as I know, only once in a blue moon has House ever called Wilson by his first name (and that was in a mocking way, using a nickname) and I've never heard Wilson call House by his first name. Mitchell seems like the kind of guy who would just call his male peers by their last names. And, I think the names were the first shorthand way of saying he wasn't Jack or having the same relationship with the team. He calls Sam by her first name sometimes (and sometimes last name. Not consistant) and Jack always called her Carter. He calls Daniel, Jackson, instead of Daniel. And, well, you can't do anything with Teal'c.

As far as my feelings, I'm pretty much like Callista. I like the name Daniel. I think he should always be called Daniel. I don't think it really means anything significant that Mitchell doesn't call him that. But, asthetically, Daniel is a much more pleasing name. On the other hand, I wish everyone would call Mitchell by his last name, because his first one, and that awful nickname, is just wrong. So, so, wrong.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

[QUOTE=Mickey23]Wow, responding to myself. How lame.
                          Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                          I wonder who decided that he should play it that way. Was it written into the script, did the director tell him this was a comedy portion, did MS decide to play it that way and they let him run with it? It was odd. It was odd that they decided to play it for laughs at all. They had Mitchell and Teal'c in a serious position. Sam had seen Emerson killed. Did they decide that they needed Daniel and Vala to keep the episode from being too serious, so he got stuck with the comedy part?

I actually don't think it's meant to be formal. Some men do call each other by their last names. On House, House and Wilson are best friends and as far as I know, only once in a blue moon has House ever called Wilson by his first name (and that was in a mocking way, using a nickname) and I've never heard Wilson call House by his first name. Mitchell seems like the kind of guy who would just call his male peers by their last names. And, I think the names were the first shorthand way of saying he wasn't Jack or having the same relationship with the team. He calls Sam by her first name sometimes (and sometimes last name. Not consistant) and Jack always called her Carter. He calls Daniel, Jackson, instead of Daniel. And, well, you can't do anything with Teal'c.

As far as my feelings, I'm pretty much like Callista. I like the name Daniel. I think he should always be called Daniel. I don't think it really means anything significant that Mitchell doesn't call him that. But, asthetically, Daniel is a much more pleasing name. On the other hand, I wish everyone would call Mitchell by his last name, because his first one, and that awful nickname, is just wrong. So, so, wrong.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Wow, responding to myself. How lame.
                            Spoiler:
                            Spoiler:

Last edited by Dani347; 16 September 2006, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:

Hmmm. On the Company of Thieves...

Spoiler:

From everything I've read in the episode thread, the episode seems to have been undecided about whether it was trying for a serious, dark tone (Emerson's death, the takeover of the Odyssey) or a more light-hearted tone (Daniel/Vala moments mainly), and seems to have ended up a curious mismatch of the two. (It's going to be really interesting for me when I finally get to watch this one).

I don't mind Daniel doing comedy moments to lighten the mood - 'the Great and Powerful Oz' comes to mind - but I'm wondering if the problem lies in them not deciding on what the tone was and that leading to some misdirection...or just a badly written script that tried going for dark humour and missed hugely (kind of tried to aim for a darkly funny story a bit like the X Files one with the guy who could see other people's deaths and starred Peter Hoyle - I think Chantilly Lace was in the title? *scratches head*)

On the Mitchell calling Daniel 'Jackson', I think its a buddy-buddy thing for Mitchell and denotes his manly acceptance of Daniel as a peer. He's much more gentlemanly with Sam who he normally addresses as Sam unless they're in a serious military mode or when referring to her at times when he reverts to Carter: its not that male-to-male bonding thing, IMO.
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                                Hmmm. On the Company of Thieves...

Spoiler:

I don't mind Daniel doing comedy moments to lighten the mood - 'the Great and Powerful Oz' comes to mind - but I'm wondering if the problem lies in them not deciding on what the tone was and that leading to some misdirection...or just a badly written script that tried going for dark humour and missed hugely (kind of tried to aim for a darkly funny story a bit like the X Files one with the guy who could see other people's deaths and starred Peter Hoyle - I think Chantilly Lace was in the title? *scratches head*)

Spoiler:
                                It's been so long since I've seen Tangent (is that the episode with the Oz quote?) but going from memory, I think one difference is, the humor was more natural, and Daniel wasn't so self aware. Someone with a better memory or who's seen it more recently, tell me if I'm picturing it right. Daniel just said the first thing he could think of, he wasn't trying to be funny, it just was funny. In COT, he seemed to be on humor mode as soon as he opened up a channel to talk. It was like the character knew he was supposed to be funny and was purposely trying.

Comment

Working...
                                X