No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol--I would watch that. Stargate: Daniel Jackson.
    thankee toasteronfire

Comment

I kind of suspect MS is ready to move on. Maybe he could do an occasional guest spot or something, but I would think for his career it may be time to do something other than sci-fi. It seems like for a guy 35 is about prime time to sell your wares. I don't think I'd want anyone from SG-1 to be on Atlantis full time. Don't get me wrong, I think sci-fi is the ideal place to show off acting talent.....However, the majority of people (read, my neighbors) disagree and think sci-fi is silly and geeky so for an actor who is trying to advance his career I would think you'd want to try something else. (Of course, these are the people who watch American Idol religiously and can talk of nothing but their kids' games.)
      I think he'd do a movie or a mini-series, but I don't think he'd continue as a regular in a SG series.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Peregrine
        lol--I would watch that. Stargate: Daniel Jackson.
        LOL yeah I so would watch it as well....

By Kidwizz

By JessM

Comment

SG-1 is in 30th place. Lets get the show up to the top TEN.
          http://www.teavee.com/stargate-sg-1/ Here is were to go and vote. The exact page. So go and vote, vote, vote.

Comment

Hi, just jumping in here... I'm a bit of a lurker - love this thread. *massively nervous about the cancellation news*

I just wanted to ask a quick favour - in one of my fics, mini!Jack gives a speech at school on the person that influences him most regarding ethical and moral issues. He doesn't mention anything classified but later when discussing with original!Jack they reminisce on times when Daniel has exerted that influence... can you please help me with examples? Pretty please?

Minty
            Good night Atlantis, Good night crescent moon
            In all my years of searching, I am here...
            I've finally found you.

You can be whatever you want to be... in Atlantis!

www.atlantis-the-musical.com

Comment

What I do not like is those dumb TV Ad inserts the sci fi channel displays on the bottom of the screen when your watching SG-1!! and other programs. The ads take up a big chunk of the screen. And alot of them have sound. Those ads are just annoying and very distracting! Save them for the commercials! You can complain to Sci Fi, when you contact them by telephone. And you will get your voice in.

I called NBC Universal (NBC Universal owns the Sci Fi channel) and spoke with customer service and then I was directed to the Sci Fi channel's costumer service. You will be speaking with actually people when you call nbc universal and the the sci fi channel.

The NBC Universal customer service telephone number is 1-818-777-1000
              The phone number is not toll free. You can only contact the Sci Fi channel by phone through NBC Universal.
              Last edited by roseblue; 22 August 2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Really, I'm not surprised that SG-1 is being cancelled. It had a great run. But it really hasn't been the same since the end of S8, which just felt like an end. Not saying that I wouldn't like to see the members of SG-1 in some other form, like say a movie or guest starring on Atlantis, or maybe even guest starring on some other Stargate project..
                I think, though, that the actors are probably ready to move on. Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge have been around for 10 years, and Michael Shanks for 9, although he was around for part of S6. They are probably tired of doing the same characters and would like to do something different. Even if they absolutely love the characters, it would get old and they can't do SG-1 forever.
                I would absolutely love a Stargate movie, but all I gotta say is that they better include Jack in the movie in a BIG WAY. It just hasn't been the same since RDA left, and, while still a good show, I think all the characters have suffered because of it. My favorite stuff was between Jack and Daniel, especially early seasons Jack and Daniel.
                So yes, I am kinda sad that the show is ending. And yes I will miss Daniel/MS (and the others too), but it does feel like it is time.
                I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

I agree that the actors are probably ready to move on. Shanks, especially. He said in one interview or another (WAY before the cancellation news) that if there were to be a season 11, he'd be part of it (even though from what people said, he didn't sign for it) but that'd be it, for the tv series anyway --he didn't say anything about mini-series or film, I don't think. So yeah.. he was definitely ready to move on.

I love the early seasons, but I still enjoy 9 and 10. Vala still annoys me on occasions, but not as much as before. And I definitely like this edgier/darker/more serious Mitchell than the flamboyant flyboy of last. I would have -loved- to see an 11th season. Mainly for Daniel, of course If he wasn't going to do it, I really wouldn't have had cared about the cancellation. Because, you're totally right Mickey, they have had a long run and it really wasn't the same without RDA.

As for you, Minty, I can come up with about a dozen scenario where Jack ignored Daniel's pov or arguments.. though Daniel really did influence Jack in a BIG way over the years.. I just can't come up with anything specific! Sorry about that! I'll try and reread some episode summaries and see if that'll jog my memory. Hopefully other members of this thread can also help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by ImaginaryGoddess
                    Hi, just jumping in here... I'm a bit of a lurker - love this thread. *massively nervous about the cancellation news*

I just wanted to ask a quick favour - in one of my fics, mini!Jack gives a speech at school on the person that influences him most regarding ethical and moral issues. He doesn't mention anything classified but later when discussing with original!Jack they reminisce on times when Daniel has exerted that influence... can you please help me with examples? Pretty please?

Minty
                    The Other Side has a good example of the Jack v Daniel dynamic on a moral/ethical issue of whether to trade without question with one side of a war giving them a clear advantage over their enemies when you don't know what the reasons for the war are/who started it, etc. Jack effectively uses Daniel's argument when talking with Hammond about the Kelownans in Season 6 (the one with Jonas's professor: the name of the epi escapes me for the time being).

Scorched might be another good example of how Daniel might have influenced Jack to continue searching for solutions although can't think of an epi beyond that that would show that off - you could always make something up.

Jack certainly had to do the diplomatic/making sure everyone gets along role in Season 6 when Daniel wasn't around so a generic thing, I can see Jack commenting that he suddenly understood how much of an influence the other man had been, how he came to appreciate Daniel's influence and actually use it to help him during the time the other man was ascended.

Hope that helps.
                    sigpic
                    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                      <snipped>
                      Anyway, would you guys be happy to see Daniel on Atlantis as part of the permenant team there?

What if SG-1 continues on in some way? Would Daniel still be able to be part of the ongoing tv series/tv-movie/feature film/mini-series or whatever else is possible if he joins Atlantis?
                      Interestingly just answered the same question but for Sam on the Sam thread.

Of all of the SG1 characters, Daniel is the one who would make the best fit into the Atlantis world (IMO). While Weir embodies the more diplomatic/sociology/lingual skills of the team, she really doesn't have the same historian/archaeology background that Daniel would bring, and I think his inclusion would certainly help focus the storylines onto the Ancients. Atlantis (the city rather than the series) has always been mentioned as Daniel's dream and the place he would want to go when his time on SG1 ended.

But.

I don't see how any SG1 character transitions to Atlantis and receives a satisfying character arc without displacing the rest of the Atlantis cast and in some ways I'd prefer to avoid the resultant outcries of any of the main SG1 characters moving across. I think in some ways I would prefer for the SG1 characters to remain as Special Guest stars where they might pop in for an epi with a really good storyline once in a while.

I can also appreciate if MS did want to move on. I'm sure he'll be great in whatever he does decide to go on to and wish him all the success he deserves.

However, given the talk of mini-series/movies/possible 3rd spin off/S11, I can't see how any of the main SG1 characters transition across full time. I guess until there is a firm announcement on the future of the franchise, we're all guessing about the future of the characters but I'd certainly prefer to see Daniel as part of an SG1 S11/movie/mini-series than being in SGA.
                      sigpic
                      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I don't think there is room for Daniel on Atlantis as a regular character because the show already has a lot of regular characters on it
                        Maybe special occasion appearances?
                        I would like to see Daniel still on screen somehow, maybe an SG1 movie, I don't know...
                        I would hope to see MS in movies maybe some theatre if he wants to, I completely understand he has played Daniel for a LONG time now let him go off do other roles not be typecast or stuck in one (scifi) genre
                        Daniel will always be on my TV from DVDs of past SG1 seasons - if nothing comes of the SG1 mini series speculation - I will miss him!

“it makes an interesting hula hoop” Mr Shanks’ opinion of the gate January 2004

Comment

Off the topic of where Daniel will go after the end of S 10, but something I've been thinking about lately.

I was talking with a friend of mine about whether or not Daniel should or would tell Vala about Sha’re. And
                          Spoiler:
                          then I read the GW spoilers for Counterstrike, which mentioned that the opportunity would arise to tell Vala about his relationship with Sha’re. (Crap, and I was doing so good at NOT reading spoilers!

But I got to thinking about Daniel and Sha’re’s relationship. I know he loved her, but did he love her and was he in love with her? You guys have probably discussed this before, but does anyone have any additional thoughts?

In the beginning (in the movie), Sha’re was a gift to Daniel. He didn’t get to choose his wife, she was chosen for him by the elders, by her father for him. At the end of the movie, he stayed with her on Abydos, but I can’t help thinking the majority of the reason for that was that he had nothing on Earth to come home to. The laughingstock of archaeology, kicked out of his apartment, no research grants, no job. And all indications were that the Stargate would be destroyed or buried somehow back on Earth. So, weighing what was waiting for him on Earth against the possibility of a family and life on Abydos, it is obvious what the choice would be.

I think when Daniel stayed, he started to lose something of what he was. He was on a planet with people who did not and could not understand him. Not just the fact that they couldn’t understand English spoken or written, but they couldn’t understand where he came from, his background, his life. How do you explain technology, PhDs, McDonald’s, politics, different religions, cars, or any aspect of Earth culture to someone whose people have lived for generations stagnated by the control of Ra? Really the only thing Daniel and Sha’re had in common I think was that they worked together to defeat Ra.
                          Sure, Sha’re was strong according to the guidelines of her people. She rebelled with a few against Ra, she obviously was a survivor in a climate that was very difficult to live in. But was she strong enough for Daniel? Even though she didn’t put him up on a pedestal like the other Abydonians (like how she laughed at him when he tried to do a simple task), but was their marriage truly one of equals?

And something that always kind of bugged me was the fact that, even though Daniel supposedly had a perfect life on Abydos, he didn’t seem content. In just a year, he found the Abydos cartouche/map room, unburied the ‘gate, and tried a bunch of addresses to find other civilizations. He said that he did a lot of exploring, and as he is an archaeologist, he probably did a lot of digging and excavating. He obviously taught the Abydonians English, and he must have taken a lot of time, because in the pilot, they all spoke it really well. A lot to do in only one year.

He jumped at the chance to join the SGC in the beginning, yes to save Sha’re from Apophis, but also for the excitement and the ability to explore new worlds and civilizations. In the beginning, every time he opened his mouth, it was “maybe this can save Sha’re” or “maybe Sha’re is on this planet,” or something similar. He states that what happened to her was his fault for unburying the Stargate. But it seems to me sometimes that I heard more guilt than love.

There is also the fact that Daniel and Sha’re didn’t have any children. True, it makes sense in the show, because if they had kids, he might not have joined the SGC or may have brought the kid(s) with him back to Earth, or maybe left the kids with Kasuf but returned after Sha’re died. And yes, I do know that there are many reasons that people can’t/don’t have children (choice, poor medical resources), but it just seems so odd that after a year with his wife, children weren’t even mentioned.

I wonder if he was happy with Sha’re, or did he think he was happy because he didn’t know any different? Would he still have been content to stay on Abydos with Share, say 10 years later? Would he have wanted to go back to Abydos and live out his days if he had rescued her? Sure, he probably would have done it, because it was his responsibility, but you know how much he would have been missing the SGC and the exploration. Would he have been the man he is without the opportunity to learn and explore, or would he kind of shriveled up inside himself without the stimulation?

Okay, so I may be way overthinking this, but once something gets into my head, I really can’t get it out. Please, what does everybody else think?

Sorry, this is really long. See what happens when you have school work to do? You find anything else to do instead!

Comment

Thanks for the responses to my query so far, especially Rachel! Given me some good ideas to research. I'll go rewatch those eppies and see whether they're what I need.

And Mickey, I have often wondered exactly the same things and pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I think Daniel's time on Abydos was good for him - he found the family and sense of belonging that I think he hadn't ever had before - well, not since his parents died. At the same time, though, I can't imagine him being happy living there forever. His brain is just too active... and you're right - he did get a hell of a lot done in a year - it's not like he spent every day at home with the wife. I'd definitely be interested to find out whether he wanted kids with Sha're and it just didn't happen for them or if they practiced the rhythm method to avoid pregnancy. I suppose they were still getting to know each other so maybe wanted to wait.

I also find it interesting wondering what sort of woman would really suit Daniel. Would he need someone as smart as he is? Or just someone to listen to him and care about him? Someone who understands him and someone he could look after... I think he probably needs someone who would remind (or force hehe) him to sleep and eat enough. ME, ME, PICK ME!!

In some ways, Daniel might make a kind of sucky partner... always wrapped up in his work (forgetting anniversaries - poor Sarah hehe) and his job involving mucho life-endangerment as well as his martyr complex - ready to sacrifice himself for others at the drop of a hat.

I still love him anyway. Heehee.

Minty
                            Good night Atlantis, Good night crescent moon
                            In all my years of searching, I am here...
                            I've finally found you.

You can be whatever you want to be... in Atlantis!

www.atlantis-the-musical.com

Comment

I was kinda thinking about the Daniel/Sha're relationship. Not if they were in love (I am SURE they were.. will get into it later) but rather if Daniel will ever move on.
                              Spoiler:
                              About Daniel and romantic entanglements: "There is the ongoing storyline that started in season nine with Vala, about her sort of being interested in him and Daniel not being interested in her. Then this year we have another sort of pseudo love interest in the part of her daughter, Adria, played by Morena Baccarin. There is a bit of some sort of romantic entanglement that happens there and Daniel kind of pushes that aside as well. Then in the episode right after it, which is “Bounty”, where a beautiful girl pretty much propositions Daniel point blank and he lets that go by too."

“Does it make things look ambiguous about Daniel’s sexuality? Yes. But it’s certainly annoying to be playing the character and not know.” Shanks is waving his hands, palms up at the mystery of it all. — Michael Shanks, Interview at Eclipse Magazine, August 16, 2006.

Was MS saying that jokingly? I can't tell through the 'net. But that got me pondering: Daniel really never had any relationships beyond Sha're. Sarah was WAY before Sha're and was never revisited since her rescue. That 'Destroyer of Worlds' woman thing (can't remember her name) happened while he was on rebound..? And we were never shown conclusively they shared anything beyond a kiss.

I don't believe Daniel's gay (they just hadn't shown other men interested in him to give him the opportunity to decline their advances), so that leaves him either still haven't moved on or that he doesn't go into relationships easily. I can understand the latter as he goes on life or death missions ALL the time. And the people he loves inevitably end up in bad situations usually related to his exploits.

Will we EVER see Daniel in a steady relationship again? I am kinda on the fence on this. I hate hate hate how the writers on Stargate write relationships. They're often cliched, contrived, unrealistic, and/or sappy. However, I do want to see a woman in his life. Sometime.

As to his love for Sha're. She might not be as different from Daniel as all that. She was courageous, intelligent, curious, and unafraid of changing her preconceived views of Ra being a god (open-minded). She was the one who showed Daniel the hidden glyphs (despite the laws forbidding her people). She was willing to learn his language and taught Daniel hers. Perhaps that shows a shared passion in linguistics or hunger for knowledge. A like-mindedness.

Plus, tying up to what I wrote above, he never again showed any interest in pursuing a relationship (except that weird and unlikely fling with 'Destroyer of Worlds', which I put that down as a plot device). It's obvious he's got quite a standard as to who he takes an interest to.

I very much doubt Daniel would go along with his 'gift' in the form of Sha're if he truly never wanted her. His moral stance would prohibit him from staying with her and lead her on in, for all intents and purposes, a LIE if he didn't care for her in that way.

There might have been some false starts, but I think they could very well had been soulmates. I don't know if there is such a thing.. but if there were, they would be the very embodiment of it.
                              Last edited by nyxlily; 24 August 2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Good analysis, nyxlily.
                                Originally posted by nyxlily
                                I was kinda thinking about the Daniel/Sha're relationship. Not if they were in love (I am SURE they were.. will get into it later) but rather if Daniel will ever move on.
                                Spoiler:
                                “Does it make things look ambiguous about Daniel’s sexuality? Yes. But it’s certainly annoying to be playing the character and not know.” Shanks is waving his hands, palms up at the mystery of it all. — Michael Shanks, Interview at Eclipse Magazine, August 16, 2006.

I don't believe Daniel's gay (they just hadn't shown other men interested in him to give him the opportunity to decline their advances), so that leaves him either still haven't moved on or that he doesn't go into relationships easily.
                                That's interesting. I didn't see that interview.

I don't think Daniel is gay either, but I think there was some sort of something between him and Jack. MS even mentioned something on the audio commentary for Fallen/Homecoming about there being subtle homosexual tension or something like that between the characters. Not that I think there is/would be/should be something between them. Just thought I'd mention it, and obviously from all the slash fiction out there, many people seem to see something between Jack and Daniel (Oh my, a quick google search turned up a lot of stuff!)

I suppose if you wanted, you could see something between all the characters that isn't canon. Just because of how close the characters are. But I agree that I don't really want to see relationships in SG-1 in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X