No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see crankiness. But, remember, those shots aren't meant to seem natural. They're posed, sort of casual/glam shots, and his expression won't be like that all the time when he's in character. I mean, he'll be more animated (since he'll be moving) and have to go through different emotions according to the plot.

I don't know if he'll look the same as before, but I wouldn't use the promo pics as a real sign of how Daniel on the show will seem.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

did you have same trouble when he got haircut in end of s2 start of s3 (two parter story) eps?
      I'm ok with change, I could get used to new glasses, if Daniel wanted them

“it makes an interesting hula hoop” Mr Shanks’ opinion of the gate January 2004

Comment

Originally posted by LoopyMowse
        did you have same trouble when he got haircut in end of s2 start of s3 (two parter story) eps?
        nope... the shorter hair accented his cheeks and jaw line though sometimes he keeps it too short....

Originally posted by Dani347
        But, remember, those shots aren't meant to seem natural. They're posed, sort of casual/glam shots, and his expression won't be like that all the time when he's in character.
        yea, but compared to the promos for earlier seasons, he seems more... idk, something just doesn't click in my mind, i mean i liked the glasses he had in 2010, and these are similar style, but they just don't seem right... idk, like i said before, maybe i just need to get used to them
        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
        sigpic

Comment

I was fine either way, Daniel makes any hairstyle great for me ;-)
          I don't know if they are going to use those frames for him in the new season or if they were just for the promotional pictures. I'll wait and see what the new season has and then decide if they're ok on his face
          It would seem IMO like a lot of effort to go to if they only wanted to use the different glasses for some promotional pictures though...

Comment

consider this, that in the RW, you should have your eyes examined at least once a year and if you have been wearing glasses for a large part of your life you'd get new ones (or at least new frames) at least once every couple of years, it's really amazing that Daniel didn't get new frames every season, especially when you throw in how often he must have broken the one's he had LOL.
            just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla
              consider this, that in the RW, you should have your eyes examined at least once a year and if you have been wearing glasses for a large part of your life you'd get new ones (or at least new frames) at least once every couple of years, it's really amazing that Daniel didn't get new frames every season, especially when you throw in how often he must have broken the one's he had LOL.
              just my 2 cents
              A lot of people only get their eyes examined every two years (until about age 30, people's eyes are likely to change quickly, after that, not so much).

My frames tend to last 3 years or so - which includes going camping and dropping them on the floor and whatnot.

Comment

I just got new frames after 7 yrs myself, but that was because I'm cheap, with military insurance I'd have new ones yearly lol, but all I meant was we are lucky not to have had to get used to new ones each season.
                I'm officially fence sitting on the new ones, gotta see if he'll actually be wearing them in season 10 before I decide if I can/can't stand them.

Comment

I've had my eyes tested every two years, and a new pair about every third visit. For many years I had only one style of (quite round and small) frame, but two months ago when I got my current pair the round style I'd always favoured was no longer available, so I have oval. I reckon Daniel did the same.

~~

Which episodes this year was Daniel most Danielish; which episode was Essence Of Daniel? I'm not sure if it was [the one on vala's planet] or Ethon.

Spoiler:
                  [TOoVP] was Daniel The Philosopher. He'd never really agreed with The Others and their non-interference policy, but he's suddenly faced with The Ori and their interfere-at-your-lesiure policy and you can see the tickticktick of him working out how to explain to the potential followers why 'help' from the Ori isn't a good thing. It's very Danielish to choose a position for a reason - in this case the Ori are Bad because they hurt people - and then argue in support of his position by taking totally different reasons: don't accept help from the ori cos it's better for you to stand on your own feet. He has that Danielish commitment to his cause, and passion in his argument.

But Ethon is a perfect example of Daniel putting his faith in strangers because if his faith turns out justified lives will be saved. He's arguably very foolish - personally even though I was cheering Daniel on I thought on balance it looked as if he was putting too much on very long odds - but he displays the same noble spirit of self-sacrifice, and the same willingness to sacrifice his own team if necessary in the pursiut of the same goal that we learnt early on to assiciate with daniel. In anyone else this tendency to put his colleagues' lives in the balance might be unpleasant: far too pragmatical in RL terns, and downright darstardly in TV Hero terms. But Daniel's risked his own life so many more times, and willingly died even, so that rather than being cavalier when he puts his friends at risk it seems more that he's showing his faith in *their* ethics and noble spirit.

I'm leaning more toward the former, but they're both good for Daniel.

Madeleine

Comment

Most Danielish? Right now I'm on this kick of Daniel the curious and the seeker, so I'd say Avalon 1 and 2
                    Spoiler:
                    The way he's all excited about the Merlin discovery, the way he pleads his case about using the Ancient device to Landry - and continuing to plead his case when he's already won, the way he sits all caught up in the book he's reading, and the way he just lights up when he translates the story. It was a throwback to that childlike wonder of his early days. It even made the beard bearable. Then, him passionately and flusteredly trying to talk them out of burning Vala, and the scene afterwards.

And, I also had the same style of glasses for years, until they stopped making my kind and I had to update.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

For me it's like when Teal'c got hair in s8, I thought it was a change that should've happened much sooner than it did in the show.
                      If Daniel *does* get new glasses for s10 then it's a change I feel should've happened seasons ago...
                      Those sort of physical changes in the characters seem to take years before implementing by the show makers, I always wondered why

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        I've had my eyes tested every two years, and a new pair about every third visit. For many years I had only one style of (quite round and small) frame, but two months ago when I got my current pair the round style I'd always favoured was no longer available, so I have oval. I reckon Daniel did the same.

~~

Which episodes this year was Daniel most Danielish; which episode was Essence Of Daniel? I'm not sure if it was [the one on vala's planet] or Ethon.

Spoiler:
                        [TOoVP] was Daniel The Philosopher. He'd never really agreed with The Others and their non-interference policy, but he's suddenly faced with The Ori and their interfere-at-your-lesiure policy and you can see the tickticktick of him working out how to explain to the potential followers why 'help' from the Ori isn't a good thing. It's very Danielish to choose a position for a reason - in this case the Ori are Bad because they hurt people - and then argue in support of his position by taking totally different reasons: don't accept help from the ori cos it's better for you to stand on your own feet. He has that Danielish commitment to his cause, and passion in his argument.

But Ethon is a perfect example of Daniel putting his faith in strangers because if his faith turns out justified lives will be saved. He's arguably very foolish - personally even though I was cheering Daniel on I thought on balance it looked as if he was putting too much on very long odds - but he displays the same noble spirit of self-sacrifice, and the same willingness to sacrifice his own team if necessary in the pursiut of the same goal that we learnt early on to assiciate with daniel. In anyone else this tendency to put his colleagues' lives in the balance might be unpleasant: far too pragmatical in RL terns, and downright darstardly in TV Hero terms. But Daniel's risked his own life so many more times, and willingly died even, so that rather than being cavalier when he puts his friends at risk it seems more that he's showing his faith in *their* ethics and noble spirit.

I'm leaning more toward the former, but they're both good for Daniel.
                        Spoiler:
                        I actually think the Ethon point is also very valid in TPTB. Other than Daniel's trying to convince Vala she'd feel better for doing the right thing - and not seeing that the people would probably punish her once she told them the truth - he's also so very Daniel-ish in his conviction that if the people on the planet would reject the Orii, there's a chance this would work out and be the best solution. Not only his faith in his teammates, but in the entire human race.

I have a tendency towards Origin tho - when he meets the Docii. The explorer trying to convince the unconvinceble (er, is that a word?), even in a fight he already knows is lost.

Oh! Glasses. I have to change frame about once every two years or so. My number doesn't fluctuate that much naymore (thankfully, or I'd end up blind), but the lenses are all scratched and the frame is crooked. Daniel has a remarkable tendency of keeping his glasses from breaking when he's under fire.
                        Last edited by Pitry; 18 June 2006, 05:47 AM.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I quite liked the new glasses :-)
                          (I hope it's ok to jump in the discussion here as there are a LOT of pages to this discussion I would need weeks to read them all!)
                          Not at all. Nice to see you here, LoopyMowse! (It's me - "sciencetwins" from OS)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayan
                            look in the FAQs, it's all there!

i just looked at the promos, and i don't like the new glasses... they make him look less innocent.... the larger frames gave Danny a wide-eyed, curious, almost childish look, but these new glasses just make him look older and prudish like he's always cranky.... idk, maybe i just need to get used to them...
                            I have to agree with you there - and before everyone else jumps on me, I'm just offering my opinion. I've seen some season 10 promos with new clips that show him with the old glasses though, so it could be that he just wore these other ones for those promo pictures, to sort of add to the whole "artsy" or "casual" theme ... or maybe he does get new glasses later on... not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                              I don't see crankiness. But, remember, those shots aren't meant to seem natural. They're posed, sort of casual/glam shots, and his expression won't be like that all the time when he's in character. I mean, he'll be more animated (since he'll be moving) and have to go through different emotions according to the plot.

I don't know if he'll look the same as before, but I wouldn't use the promo pics as a real sign of how Daniel on the show will seem.
                              Great point! That's what I kept trying to tell myself when I first saw these... and the SciFi promos pretty much back it up.

Comment

The haircut didn't bother me as much for some reason (though I do still miss the long-haired Daniel...), I guess because I'd seen the reruns before and knew that it was coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X