No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Michael in All aroud the Town and in Sumuru, and he was very good in them, even if they weren't blockbuster movies.
    His best performances in Stargate were in Need, Lifeboat, Abyss and FIAD.

Comment

Originally posted by S0f4
      Hi
      This thread is dedicated to Daniel Jackson/MS. What do you like about his character/acting?

Im sorry if this has been made before.
      S0f4, we really do have a similar thread and because we try to keep the forum as uncluttered as possible I merged your thread with the Daniel Discussion and renamed the thread, in order to make clear that thunking about the character as well as the actor is allowed in here.

Feli
      Gateworld Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Sparki101
        I always thought that he knew that he would not be able to fight Anubis,the Others wouldn't let him. Anubis knew that aswell. I'm glad that he did at least try to destroy Anubis, but why would giving Anubis the eye help destroy him? Why not just destroy Anubis beforehand and take the eye anyway? That way Anubis is dead, Abydos is less likely to get blown up and the SGC get the eye.
        I see his actions as nothing more than a ditch attempt not to destroy Abydos and SG-1. But on the other hand I can't see Daniel being that stupid to think that he can bargin with a Goa'uld and expect Anubis to keep his promise.

Sparki
        The simple answer is, he needed a reason to strike. Just destroying somebody because it's convenient makes him as bad as the Goa'uld. Worse, because he has more innate power and must be careful not to misuse it. That was the lesson that he learned in 'Absolute Power'.

And of course, until he talked to Anubis in person and realised what Anubis was, I don't think Daniel was prepared to take action like swiping Anubis out of existence. It was only then, when he realised that Anubis was 'one of us' that he became angry enough with the other's lack of action to contemplate taking action of his own. Before that he was very much toeing the line with taking no action and letting other people do the work.

I think that his reaction when Oma pulled him out of the conflict was enough to indicate that he had thought he had a good chance of getting away with blasting Anubis if he had to. I think he knew he was pushing it, but he also knew by that point that the Others had themselves interfered in Anubis' destiny by attempting (unsuccessfully) to descend him, and that he might just have a chance of being allowed, on the quiet, as it were, to finish what they started. But not gratuitously. There had to be a reason for him to do it - just as the others didn't take a hand when Orlin interfered until it became clear that the people to whom he'd given technology were aggressive and warlike and were going to use it to conquer others - they didn't take action until that point. I think that Anubis had to break his word before Daniel felt that he might be able to get away with taking such drastic action.

As for not looking at the big picture, at that point, when he made that offer to Anubis, what else could he have done? No, really, I'm serious. The planet was already overrun. SG1 was cut off from the Stargate and unable to get away. Daniel knew that in the ultimate scheme of things, the tablet was much more important than the Eye of Ra if it led the humans to the Lost City (which at the time he believed it would - and the sad fact is that if he had stayed ascended at that point and NOT been pulled away by Oma he might have been able to help them find it much quicker). There was a chance, not a good one admittedly, that Anubis having made a bargain with him would keep it. At that point bargaining away the Eye of Ra for SG1's safe passage off Abydos was the only thing he could do (short of the physical interference that he was prevented from anyway) to get SG1 off the planet safely. Without that bargain, they would simply have been shot, and Anubis would have got both the tablet and the eye of Ra. (and before anyone suggests that Jack would have blowed up the Eye of Ra with his explosives rather than let Anubis get it, just remember how much punishment the Stargate can take... I don't believe for a moment that a few ounces of C4 would have even scratched the thing..... it was an empty threat which would not have held the Jaffa off for long)

I think that Daniel wanted an opportunity to strike at Anubis, and manufactured it. He miscalculated at what point Oma would take action against him.

What I think he should have done, is what he threatened to do in the first place - hop over to Yu's ship and say, 'hey, you strike now, you can kill this bozo because he doesn't have the eye yet'. I think Yu would have been far more likely to keep a bargain with him than Anubis would have. That's what I can't understand - why he didn't do that.

Other than the obvious answer - it wasn't in the script.

Comment

We can't let our beloved Daniel fall back onto the second page, so here's a little something to get him back on top.

Last edited by DJFavorite; 28 May 2004, 10:05 AM.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
            Actually the first episode I saw(as I saw them out of order at first) that made me go "Wow!" was Needs. The scene in the storeroom of course. The way he totally broke down like that, it felt very real. I just felt this guy is a real actor--he's not concerned with looking pretty while he's crying--he just let go and it was heartbreaking.
            I totally agree, Epiphany! I just love Michael in Need. I mean, all of those ranges of emotions he had to go through was just....wow. Michael is a great cryer. When he cries, he so convincing and believable that he makes ME want to cry. It's not phony at all. I've read somewhere that Michael says that he can cry on cue.

Last edited by Sue_Jackson; 27 May 2004, 06:29 PM.
            sigpic
            Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

I like the way he looks in this scene, getting tough with Osiris.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmm... What happened to Osiris?
                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Here is my favourite Daniel pic
                  Honk if you love cheese

Comment

Here's one of my favorite pics of Daniel/Michael.

I just love his gorgeous blue eyes.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Woah, the Daniel thread on page 4? That doesn't make sense in any language.
                      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                        What do you like about the character? What did you think the first time you saw Daniel? How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline? What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended? Boonie or bandana? Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
                        Yes, well, I agree, this thread doesn't deserve to be on page 4!!

Hello, I'm a newbie on the boards, but not to Stargate! Pleased to meet ya! I admit it - I'm a huge Daniel Jackson fan. Since I'm new to this thread (and the board) I'll answer the first post's questions...

I like the fact that Intelligent people on Stargate are portrayed as 'cool' or/and a vital part of the group. I'm of the camp that sees that without Dr. Jackson, the Stargate program was stuck in a rut. I like that Daniel respects other cultures, but knows when to draw the moral line. When I first saw Daniel it was Spader, and I loved him then; smart, cute and geeky At first, I was worried that MS couldn't pull off the character - oh how wrong I was.

I think his character has been handled well for the most part, but agree with MS's views about Daniel's character progression. When he was ascended I think he watched after all his friends, griped to Oma when he couldn't help them, and started to feel that being ascended wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I liked the fact that he came to realize that the Ancients/being ascended didn't mean he was some sort of angel, and he couldn't play God, and at the same time, sometimes being human isn't so bad.

Boonie or bandana? I like both. I think Daniel would prefer the boonie, while Shanks would prefer the bandana. Favorite eppy: Need. I loved Daniel's storyline and MS's acting - awesome!! Great Jack/Daniel friendship moments too.

-Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by Kaliska
                          Hello, I'm a newbie on the boards, but not to Stargate! Pleased to meet ya! I admit it - I'm a huge Daniel Jackson fan. Since I'm new to this thread (and the board) I'll answer the first post's questions...

-Heidi
                          Welcome!! Glad you could join us. We like to talk about Daniel, but for some reason, we don't talk enough about him. Help us all you want to keep this thread at the top!

No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                            Welcome!! Glad you could join us. We like to talk about Daniel, but for some reason, we don't talk enough about him. Help us all you want to keep this thread at the top!
                            Okey Dokey. Found this wonderful picture of Daniel from Chimera

http://www.jackfic.com/multimedia/sc...s/PDVD_080.htm
                            Honk if you love cheese

Comment

The thread is in danger of falling out of the first page; quick! someone! say something interesting about Daniel!

Or failing that...

1)Favourite amusing Daniel quote?

2)Favourite deep & meaningful (tm) Daniel quote?

3)The Daniel line that makes you want to yell at him?

4)Favourite 'Bless! that's just sooooo Daniel' quote?

Madeleine

Comment

1)Favourite amusing Daniel quote? "So it keeps perfect time but occasionally catches fire?" Watergate

2)Favourite deep & meaningful (tm) Daniel quote? "Is that the right way to get their technology, yes. But is it the right thing to do?" Scorched Earth

3)The Daniel line that makes you want to yell at him? Can't think of one off hand. I'll have to give it some thought.

4)Favourite 'Bless! that's just sooooo Daniel' quote? "Jack don't be an a**." Crystal Skull

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X