No announcement yet.

Ba'al /Cliff Simon Thunk,Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooh, how could i forget....good to see that you are on top of things CatGoddess....we have to get the thunkers back here...
    sigpic

Comment

*rescues thread from page 3*

I knew there was another Ba'al thread besides the thunk thread and the Ba'am thread...

Why is he such a great villain... gonna have to think about that for a bit
      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

...or were we going to have chocolate thunk *ice cream* in here, and leave the cookies elsewhere...?

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
        still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Comment

Every time I check back into this thread to see what's happening you guys are talking about food! More worshipping is needed!!

Comment

Seshat! Missed you around here...

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
              Seshat! Missed you around here...
              Yeah...I don't get out of that "other" thunk thread much.

But when I do I like to visit my Ba'al compatriots.
              They really know how to have a good time. With food.

Comment

why is a great villian?? besides the awesome costumes and great torture methods that is... and the accent!! did i mention the accent??

i'd say because he has real human emotions... unlike all the cookie-cutter goauld with just a little bit of variety and basically just nothing but a god complex and desire to control the whole universe and fight over it, baal is a deeper character...

we've seen him with all different kinds of emotion! and he doesn't just react exactly the same way to every situation and every person! i could on about this for HOURS methinks, but basically that's it... he's complex and intruiging character, who can STILL be the "bad guy" and be against the "good guys" but yet you can't help but connect with him in a weird way and you WANT him to live!! you don't want the good guys to beat him, and that's very important in a villian! you don't want him to necessarily get away with some things either, but at the same time, you have to admire the ingenuity he obviously uses to reach his ends as opposed to just doing the same old goauld thing.... the DHD virus is a good example, as is the fact that he created all those nifty gravity toys!!

there's another thing! instead of just stealing things from other cultures and using them, he BUILDS on those things and makes them better for his own use! he really is one of the few truly intelligent goaulds... sure anubis makes his evil super weapon and such but all of it is basically ancient tech that he just learned how to use... baal, though, learns how to make his OWN stuff

and of course, you can't forget that as opposed to the other baddies, he's not that cookie-cutter pure evil bad guy... this goes along with connecting with him in a weird way, but really, he's capable of doing good and is willing to if necessary for the situation, but he just CHOOSES to act tough and evil to get the power he wants, and surely he is goauld and therefore undeniably evil on some level, but not the cookie-cutter pure and unforgivably evil.... he has those emotions which show he DOES actually have *shock!* feelings and he's intelligent enough to know that he certainly isn't a god, and acting like one isn't the ONLY way to get power....

ok, rambled quite a bit, but there ya go... that's my feelings about baal as a character and great baddie in a nutshell

Comment

Well, I've finally found my way to GW, as I posted on the Weir/McKay thread...

Lord Ba'al is my favorite villain ever, besides perhaps Murdoc. He's good looking, has a sexy accent and...the all-encompassing, ever important, HUMOR!

Few bad guys understand the concept of wit to the extent that Ba'al has.

I don't need no stinkin' sig...and yet I made one anyway...

Comment

oh yes.... we love our food with a little baal on the, er... our BAAL with a little food on the side... er... oh boy! *open mouth, insert foot*

though i've seen you danny thunkers have quite a bit of fun with, er, food, also... *isn't a lurker... really!!! *

we love havin ya around here, seshat!!

now, we need some thunk!!

Comment

ah!! of course!! he's definately the funniest of the gouald his "how dare you doubt me" and "i am a god. gods are all-knowing" crack me up every single time i see them!!! he says it soooooooo unconvincingly, an obvious joke, and it's hilarious!!!

Comment

oh yes more thunk is always good
                        sigpic

Comment

it helps that he dead pans it. I mean, if anubis did it, it wouldn't have the same effect cause anubis is too over the top.
                          'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

lol, well i wouldn't call it dead-panning so much as just NOT being serious or the LEAST bit convincing, but also NOT being overly sarcastic about... but he definately has a hint of tease and flirt in his voice and on his face, especially during the "i am a god" line

actually i would go so far as to say, no offense to your thought WT, that he's so great BECAUSE he doesn't take himself too seriously and keeps an air of emotion, in the case of jokes it would be tease, in his voice....

Comment

.... interesting em. I suppose I can see your point. I agree, deadpan isn't quite the correct way of phrasing it but I disagree that it's because he doesn't take himself to seriously. I think he takes himself seriously, it the way he views other that isn't so serious. What I mean by that is, he takes himself seriously but those around him, even Anubis, he doesn't see as much of a threat to his overall superiority, so he takes things in stride. Let's call it confidence in his skills and himself.
                              'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

hmmm... that's probably true... i guess i didn't phrase mine quite right either... what i suppose i meant was that he doesn't take seriously that the goauld are gods, himself included, and realizes that no one on earth does either, yet doesn't care... and as such, when he says "i am a god. gods are all-knowing" it's fairly obvious that he's completely teasing/joking/egging them on/torturing jacob because he knows they know he isn't and HE knows he isn't, but it was the perfect opportunity to say it anyway, just as a tease... and he's diff from the other system lords on the fact that most of them would have gotten angry and pulled a god-complex at sam and jacob's reaction, but instead he gives a cheeky smile and has that "the tok'ra deserved that" look on his face priceless...

though now that i think about it, it does make sense that he has enough confidence in his power and skills that he doesn't need to keep up the god act and just, as you said, take it all in stride i do like how his interaction with each group is different...

you see him with jack being frustrated that jack won't listen, with sam he's gets all flirty and the big tease yet willing to help, he glares at jacob, pulls the completely transparent god act with his/anubis' jaffa around, ranges from nervous and weirded out to completely not around anubis... and the greatest thing i think is that none seem to really be "an act" except with the jaffa.... he really has a wide range of reactions and feelings, unlike the other goauld who basically act the same god-complex way around everyone and react all goauld-like to everything...

Comment

Working...
                                X