Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2Shy View Post
    After the wonderful weekend that was AT4 where I got to hang out with so many of you GW and Samanda regulars I solemnly swore that I would start to hang around here more often. So having said that I thought a little intro post of sorts would be in order. Some of you I already have the pleasure of knowing and hope to get to know more and the rest of you I can’t wait to get to know

Who I am: Me, (most of the time anyway) in RL I usually go by the name Sanna, which is nice you know, since that’s my name.
    What I do: Other than fangirling and spending copious amounts of time online, I’m graphic design student with focus on printed media, right now we’re learning how to make preflight profiles and fixups in Adobe Acrobate 9.0 for pdf files. Yes, it’s exactly as sexy as it sounds
    Where I am: That’s a long arduous geography lesson waiting to happen that some of the poor GABIT attendees already had too endure (including AT). But the basics are I’m from Åland, a group of islands right between Finland and Sweden, we belong to Finland but speak Swedish. And at the moment I live in Sweden. And if you want to know any more details ask Neep, she seemed to get the hang of it
    Other fun facts: I’m married (yes that’s a fun fact), I have a slight addiction towards Photoshop (been keeping it under control lately though) and I’m still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of GW (so please bear with me while I run around pushing all these shiny buttons I have at my disposal )
    Great intro post and welcome! And thanks for the geography lesson, you got me looking up Åland on google maps!

Originally posted by Brunhilde View Post
    Hi, newbie here My Amanda Tapping appreciation really started when I caught the second season of Sanctuary on ITV4...from then on it has become a downward slide in to so far having watched the first three seasons of Stargate (in a couple of weeks...yeah, I'm at University, it's causing trouble with the whole work thing!) and fully intending to get to season...10, is it?!
    Obviously I think she's awesome!
    Welcome to Samanda! And I here ya the work stuff, GW and Sanctuary make lovely breaks from studying.

sigpic

Comment

Hi all!

Another Sam fan reports for duty!

I didn't know any of the cast when I began watching the show a couple of months ago. After season one, I was uncertain whether I liked Sam or Daniel most. They both are smart and witty and they look great!

Now, mid season 4, I'm pretty sure that Sam is my number one Maybe it's the writing, or the actress, or both Besides, she looks way better with Jack than Daniel would ever do (no offence to Jack/Daniel shippers - if there are any around).

What can I say about myself? I'm currently living in Austria. I'm a Ph.D. student and a mother to one little terrorist, and I spend way too much time with shipping

I do avatars, manips, vids, I write stories, but mainly for Star Trek: Voyager. I have already met plently of talented, creative people here on GW, and I am sure I will go over to creating Stargate art some day.

cheers
      es
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by Daivy View Post
        Well I didn't mean to say toy sorry if I did but, was saying it like a man just bought a new DVD player, a new car, whatever and people say: hubby bought a new "toy" of course it's a very handy thing. I just gave critique on the price here in Belgium. And I didn't know you buy it with everything on it and "tick off" the stuff you don't need. But I know Amanda didn't buy it cause 'everyone" has it. And I think she said it she bought it for picture quality, it's in the same interview where she said she had a new car, an Audi S4, the sportive version of the normal A4.

So who's the lucky gal / boy that got her old Volvo (the Silver one I don't know the Volvo types of car, V50, S70??? Volvo luddite here )
        You don't happen to have a link to said interview, because I think I've actually missed it. Is it recent?

@EvenstarSRV Yes, spreading the word of Åland one AT fan at a time!

Comment

After the wonderful weekend that was AT4 where I got to hang out with so many of you GW and Samanda regulars I solemnly swore that I would start to hang around here more often. So having said that I thought a little intro post of sorts would be in order. Some of you I already have the pleasure of knowing and hope to get to know more and the rest of you I can’t wait to get to know

Who I am: Me, (most of the time anyway) in RL I usually go by the name Sanna, which is nice you know, since that’s my name.
          What I do: Other than fangirling and spending copious amounts of time online, I’m graphic design student with focus on printed media, right now we’re learning how to make preflight profiles and fixups in Adobe Acrobate 9.0 for pdf files. Yes, it’s exactly as sexy as it sounds
          Where I am: That’s a long arduous geography lesson waiting to happen that some of the poor GABIT attendees already had too endure (including AT). But the basics are I’m from Åland, a group of islands right between Finland and Sweden, we belong to Finland but speak Swedish. And at the moment I live in Sweden. And if you want to know any more details ask Neep, she seemed to get the hang of it
          Other fun facts: I’m married (yes that’s a fun fact), I have a slight addiction towards Photoshop (been keeping it under control lately though) and I’m still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of GW (so please bear with me while I run around pushing all these shiny buttons I have at my disposal )
          So glad to see you posting here! It was wonderful meeting you at AT4 and I look forward to our reunion at AT5!

Hi, newbie here My Amanda Tapping appreciation really started when I caught the second season of Sanctuary on ITV4...from then on it has become a downward slide in to so far having watched the first three seasons of Stargate (in a couple of weeks...yeah, I'm at University, it's causing trouble with the whole work thing!) and fully intending to get to season...10, is it?!
          Welcome newbie! Stargate is on everywhere all the time so it is hard to imagine there are still those who didn't know her until Sanctuary. Most of us came to admire her in the role of Sam and then Helen. Since you've had the reverse experience, I wonder what you thought of her portrayal of Sam after seeing her first in such a different role.

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
          I spent the last week in Devon where the man who was run off by the "Luddites" (because they were afraid his new technology would mean their jobs disappeared) moved to build a hugely successful lace factory. I had to laugh when I read the "Luddite" reference as I too am one. Although after using a GPS to find my way to all sorts of cool, very out of the way places last week, I'm sold on the technology. Watch out on the roads!!

P.S. I was only on the wrong side of the road twice
          LOL! I must make a pilgrimage there someday! I'm glad you haven't been too much of a hazard on the road.

@EvenstarSRV Yes, spreading the word of Åland one AT fan at a time!
          Good on ya! I love hearing about where others live.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Riftzone View Post
              No worries, just tried and to explain that each IPhone is comes as standard then gets personilized. It's a shame they are still expensive in Belguim.
              Well when they came out in Belgium in 2008 it was 525 Euro

Now (the iPhone 3G version) costs between 475 and 675 Euro (the last one for 320GB)

Here's a link to show you the prices

http://www.belcompany.be/products.php

SEE why I was a bit dissapointed she bought one? But Nokia, Samsung.... mobile phones are way cheaper here! Belgium is just a "f....ing" expensive country. 21 % VAT

Tough our parliament recently made a law that "twin sales" were allowed, so it was forbidden to buy the phone and a subscription at the same time or something don't know the exact reason. But I think it has a result cause we can buy a specific mobile for ONE Euro (of course we need to pay subscription) so I HOPE the Apple iPhone lovers here can buy one without "bleeding" so much

In Germany I saw a mini-laptop for 50 Euro if you subscribed to a Vodaphone subscription.

And Amanda lives in Canada. They use GST instead of VAT. The GST dropped there from 7-5%. Not sure how "luxury" products are being taxed there but here it's 21 %

We also live in the EU which means we have the right to buy any product in another EU member state. A Car that costs 25 000 here could cost 18 000 in another country (local VAT rate in it) so you have the right to buy the car there without paying VAT, (so it's even cheaper) BUT you have to pay VAT when you back to Belgium.

So if it works for a car it can certainly help for an iPhone3G or iPhone3G S

To bring this back on topic

Amanda has an iPhone

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Happy Birthday Myrth !

Happy Birthday SG1Poz !

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Yay! Glad to see you here! You are definitely true to your word m'dear. Was wonderful hanging out with you and I'm truly looking forward to AT5 and meeting the hubby. Nice that you could rope him into the fun.

Welcome to Samanda! Amanda has this effect on many so your not alone whatsoever. I've loved her since WoO in S4 and been completely hooked since.

Happy Birthday Myrth !

Happy Birthday SG1Poz !
                  Ditto! Hope you both a brilliant day full of fun!

Comment

I spent the last week in Devon where the man who was run off by the "Luddites" (because they were afraid his new technology would mean their jobs disappeared) moved to build a hugely successful lace factory. I had to laugh when I read the "Luddite" reference as I too am one. Although after using a GPS to find my way to all sorts of cool, very out of the way places last week, I'm sold on the technology. Watch out on the roads!!

Awaits scifithinker's tale of woe regarding GPS systems.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Awaits scifithinker's tale of woe regarding GPS systems.

suse
                      Did I hear somebody call my name?

I spent a month in West Virginia coal country a couple of weekends ago. My stepfather drove me. He has a fancy-schmancy GPS that was pretty useless once we had to get off the interstate. Our 8 hour drive took 12 1/2 hours. At one point, the GPS took us straight to the entrance of a golf course that was at the end of a one lane dirt road. This is after we had ended up in a trailer park earlier in our scenic journey. After a couple of hours on windy mountain roads with my speed demon stepdad who almost ran us off the road (I was petrified he was going to get us killed), we finally got back on a major road because I asked for directions while he was futzing with the GPS.

On the way home, we got stranded because the car broke down. I am soooo glad I never have to go there again. And there's no way I'm buying a GPS system even though I'm not a Luddite.

Two weeks later, Suse is still laughing at me at random moments. Of course, that might also be related to the pathos-filled funeral, the flea market where I could buy a sword for $12 or a purse for $50, the total lack of wheat bread anywhere in the region, or the sad little hotel with the dirt helo pad outside my window where we stayed until the car could be repaired.
                      Last edited by scifithinker; 22 November 2009, 03:06 PM.
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

<<smirk>> I'm still giggling at the frustrated phone call I got from a Hotel 8 where she and her stepdad were staying til the car was fixed.

That's love, being able to laugh in the face (well, ear anyway) of your best friend stuck in a town that has a Sunday paper 12 pages thick and no TV Guide. And have her not take offense.

You know it's bad when talkiing on the phone for hours to me *is* the entertainment.

Poor, poor scifithinker.

suse
                        giggle
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Happy Birthday Myrth and SG1Poz

Hope you both had a good day, with cake and fun
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            Happy Birthday Myrth and SG1Poz

Hope you both had a good day, with cake and fun
                            Ditto. Come by and share the cake anytime.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Riftzone View Post
                              No worries, just tried and to explain that each IPhone is comes as standard then gets personilized. It's a shame they are still expensive in Belguim.
                              Well when they came out in Belgium in 2008 it was 525 Euro

Now (the iPhone 3G version) costs between 475 and 675 Euro (the last one for 320GB)

Here's a link to show you the prices

http://www.belcompany.be/products.php

Tough our parliament recently made a law that "twin sales" were allowed, so it was forbidden to buy the phone and a subscription at the same time or something don't know the exact reason. But I think it has a result cause we can buy a specific mobile for ONE Euro (of course we need to pay subscription) so I HOPE the Apple iPhone lovers here can buy one without "bleeding" so much

In Germany I saw a mini-laptop for 50 Euro if you subscribed to a Vodaphone subscription.

And Amanda lives in Canada. They use GST instead of VAT. The GST
                              Daivy, in Germany we can get the iPhone for 1 € if we at the same time get a contract which runs a minimum of 24 months and costs at least 24 € per month.
                              However, if you have the 24€/m contract you can't do zip with your iPhone because surfing is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

So you get one of the more expensive contracts (they range from 44 to 119 € per month).
                              People here drive to Belgium to get a contract-free iPhone. You have no idea how lucky you guys are.

Without the contract you can choose whatever carrier you like.

I love to hear about all the apps that you can get for the iPhone. There is some nice stuff out there. All that however doesn't really tempt me enough to get one.

I used to have one of those cheap pre-paid cell phones as texting and calling people was the only thing I ever did with it. Now I have a smart phone with GPS (and a contract) because I spend more time away from home.

BTT: AT rocks!

How did I become a fan?
                              I watched the pilot but got turned off by the whole "reproductive organs" bit. Some time later I caught Solitudes while I was at a friend's house and she wanted to tape the ep for another friend.
                              She spoiled the end for me because she thought I knew the show. However, I thought the episode was brilliant and it is still one of my favorites.

That was in 2000. In 2003 I met Amanda at a convention and although I had already been a Sam fan by then I was blown away by Amanda.
                              I just instantly liked the woman.
                              I think that we've all posted similar stories here. If you meet her she is like the nicest person you can imagine. She looks you in the eye and she talks person to person to you and not "actor to fan".

She's great!

Comment

Welcome aboard 2Shy.

How I became an Amanda Tapping fan? I started watching the reruns when the show came to SciFi and loved the team. I liked Jack and Sam (not J/S) the best. After I came to GW and this thread and learned more about what a down to earth person she is, I became more and more of an AT fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X