Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    it's normal to tear up Cel

because the oddest things will remind you of him and your time with him.
    So true. And, despite the sadness when things like this happen, everyone here has lost friends and family. We can all truly understand what the others are going through. (((Samandans)))
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

i tend to think less 'not ready to go' and more 'damn, i'll miss you guys'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

it's normal to tear up Cel

because the oddest things will remind you of him and your time with him.
        True. And hopefully there will also be times when you'll laugh or smile thinking of him and some good time or family joke. In our family we did a lot of alternating between laughing and crying when we lost my dad. Or both at once. That helped us get through it.

Comment

i tend to think less 'not ready to go' and more 'damn, i'll miss you guys'
          That's the way I'd certainly like to think about it instead. Thanks

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          True. And hopefully there will also be times when you'll laugh or smile thinking of him and some good time or family joke. In our family we did a lot of alternating between laughing and crying when we lost my dad. Or both at once. That helped us get through it.
          Yes. I took my mom out with my friend today to buy my dad's suit for the funeral and we had a late lunch in which we did just that. We laughed and reminisced about my dad. Good times as well as the bad as he certainly was a character and difficult to live with at times, but it's everything that made my dad the person he was. I wouldnt have changed a thing.

I like to think of Sam at this time in my life. She had to deal with the death of her parents as well and her reaction to each of their passing was completely different. Going through the same loss myself, I completely understand why now. Makes me feel I can really write a good fic from this perspective after experiencing the emotions first-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
            Very, very OT...

Spoiler:
            I consider Samandans friends so I had to come here and mourn. My dad passed away this morning. I still cant believe it as I had just saw him on Saturday and though he wasnt doing very well then, he didnt look near to dying. I'm still in so much shock and a complete mess.
            (((Cel)))

(((Cel and family)))

Spoiler:
            You know, I know what you are going through, just take to heart that he is not suffering anymore. And take all the support you need from your friends, family and online friends. It will take time for the shock to ware off, and the grieving takes as much time as it takes. It won't be easy, but I want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Spoiler:
              Thank you. I missed saying goodbye to him by a half hour before they came and took him away. Not sure if I could have done it anyways because I remember what he looked like before he died and its not a very good memory. I'd rather remember the good days before the cancer, but those times make me tear up now. I'm trying to put together a powerpoint presentation to be shown at the funeral with pics scanned of my dad throughout his life. I think it'll be a nice tribute and if my dad knew, he would be pleased.

Spoiler:
              Yes, words so true. I never throught I would feel this way either. I guess the bit my brother told me yesterday about my dad having a single tear in his eye right before he passed doesnt help. It could mean a lot of things, but my first thought was that he wasnt ready to go. He put up such a fight against the cancer.
              Spoiler:
              Cel, I still tear up when I see things that remind me of him, but I also laugh at the stories we tell about him.

You were with him a lot before his death and I'm sure he knew how you felt. The tear in his eye could have been more for his loved ones than for himself, he most likely knew the end was near. My dad kept telling us that, and he was right. The memory you would have had if you were with him, may have been too difficult to handle; I was with my dad when he passed, and it truly is not an easy memory to have. So try to remember the good times, it will help you get through this difficult time. And don't worry about crying, there is no such thing as crying too much
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Spoiler:
                I usually don't comment with condolences here simply because I'm rather new to the Forum and don't really know know anyone; anything I could offer falls flat to my ears and I hate sounding disingenuous. I do, however, feel for all of you who have lost your loved ones, even if I've never said as much by way of words.
                There's been a lot of death going around for an awful lot of people lately - RL as well as on line - and I know, for my self, I can safely say I'm about ready for the spring/summer 2009 to be over and done with. Two months, and there are my footprints in the burial hall floor. (Brother of one of my best friend's dying of a heart attact at 36, for example? It just doesn't seem to be a thing that should happen, even in today's crazy world.)

I want to say something profound but I'm more of a doer so I'm at loss when I can't hug or fetch you something to drink. Then again, what words are there? Celandine, I hope there are only fond memories to behold and they stop hurting soon; that there are strong people to lean on in the present and laughter in the near future. That for all of you, the wind is always at your back.
                you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

That's the way I'd certainly like to think about it instead. Thanks

Yes. I took my mom out with my friend today to buy my dad's suit for the funeral and we had a late lunch in which we did just that. We laughed and reminisced about my dad. Good times as well as the bad as he certainly was a character and difficult to live with at times, but it's everything that made my dad the person he was. I wouldnt have changed a thing.

I like to think of Sam at this time in my life. She had to deal with the death of her parents as well and her reaction to each of their passing was completely different. Going through the same loss myself, I completely understand why now. Makes me feel I can really write a good fic from this perspective after experiencing the emotions first-hand.
                  Spoiler:
                  Sounds a lot like my dad. Maybe it's a dad thing.

At times when we've been at the funeral home, which happens at least once a year, I've noticed that some groups of people in other rooms are completely somber. The room we're in usually has an equal mixture of tears, hugs and laughter. I think it's important to cherish and celebrate the person that they were and why they are loved.

Writing will probably be a great way to channel your feelings. Quite cathartic I would imagine.
                  Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                  William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                  Anon

Comment

Cel,
                    Spoiler:
                    You're in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how hard it is, but you're doing the right thing, focusing on his life and contributions to all of you.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Cel, I'm so sorry about your sad news. *hugs*
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Very, very OT...

Spoiler:
                        I consider Samandans friends so I had to come here and mourn. My dad passed away this morning. I still cant believe it as I had just saw him on Saturday and though he wasnt doing very well then, he didnt look near to dying. I'm still in so much shock and a complete mess.
                        I am so sorry dear.
                        Spoiler:
                        My mother passed away this past February, and although she was in her 90s, her death has hit me hard. She lived a good life, but I still miss her and still find myself thinking "I should call Mama and tell her about this." And then I remember that I can't call her. The first year will be the worst.
                        My sincerest sympathy.

Bucky

Comment

First off, I'm sorry for monopolizing the thread so. It wasnt my aim when I came here Monday with my news, but only to mourn my loss with friends. Your show of support is overwhelming and encouraging and I feel I must thank each one of you for it. Samandans rock and always will!

On a side note, on 20 September, I'll be participating in a Light the Night Walk in memory of my dad who fought a year long battle with Lymphoma. I think he would be pleased if he knew and I know there are many more out there still battling this disease that could benefit from the funds raised from this event.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          (((Cel)))

(((Cel and family)))

Spoiler:
                          You know, I know what you are going through, just take to heart that he is not suffering anymore. And take all the support you need from your friends, family and online friends. It will take time for the shock to ware off, and the grieving takes as much time as it takes. It won't be easy, but I want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
                          Spoiler:
                          I know time will heal the pain of our loss. I only lost my father, but my mom lost a companion of 40+ years and her pain is different and something I might never comprehend. I do appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this time. Thank you.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Cel, I still tear up when I see things that remind me of him, but I also laugh at the stories we tell about him.

You were with him a lot before his death and I'm sure he knew how you felt. The tear in his eye could have been more for his loved ones than for himself, he most likely knew the end was near. My dad kept telling us that, and he was right. The memory you would have had if you were with him, may have been too difficult to handle; I was with my dad when he passed, and it truly is not an easy memory to have. So try to remember the good times, it will help you get through this difficult time. And don't worry about crying, there is no such thing as crying too much
                          Spoiler:
                          Right now, my good memories are as painful as the knowledge that he has passed. I miss him terribly. No matter how much we butted heads being so alike, no matter how many times he annoyed me, I loved him very much and everything still reminds me of him. His presence was a powerful one and always will be with me.

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          I usually don't comment with condolences here simply because I'm rather new to the Forum and don't really know know anyone; anything I could offer falls flat to my ears and I hate sounding disingenuous. I do, however, feel for all of you who have lost your loved ones, even if I've never said as much by way of words.
                          There's been a lot of death going around for an awful lot of people lately - RL as well as on line - and I know, for my self, I can safely say I'm about ready for the spring/summer 2009 to be over and done with. Two months, and there are my footprints in the burial hall floor. (Brother of one of my best friend's dying of a heart attact at 36, for example? It just doesn't seem to be a thing that should happen, even in today's crazy world.)

I want to say something profound but I'm more of a doer so I'm at loss when I can't hug or fetch you something to drink. Then again, what words are there? Celandine, I hope there are only fond memories to behold and they stop hurting soon; that there are strong people to lean on in the present and laughter in the near future. That for all of you, the wind is always at your back.
                          Spoiler:
                          Nothing you could say would 'fall flat' to my ears. You wouldnt believe the amount of PM's I've been getting and from people who I dont know well or who have been lurkers here for years. The pain of losing someone close is universal and one that everyone empathizes with. Thank you for your words of encouragement and comfort. I look forward to those days of laughter and fun where my dad's memory will only be a good without the mingled pain right now.

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Sounds a lot like my dad. Maybe it's a dad thing.

At times when we've been at the funeral home, which happens at least once a year, I've noticed that some groups of people in other rooms are completely somber. The room we're in usually has an equal mixture of tears, hugs and laughter. I think it's important to cherish and celebrate the person that they were and why they are loved.

Writing will probably be a great way to channel your feelings. Quite cathartic I would imagine.
                          Spoiler:
                          That's my plan for Thursday and Friday. I want to try and be happy when I pay my last respects to my dad and the life he lived. I think he would have wanted it that way.

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          Cel,
                          Spoiler:
                          You're in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how hard it is, but you're doing the right thing, focusing on his life and contributions to all of you.

suse
                          Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                          Cel, I'm so sorry about your sad news. *hugs*
                          Spoiler:
                          Thank you for the thoughts, prayers and hugs. They're much appreciated at this time.

ETA Thank you Bucky.
                          Spoiler:
                          Yes, I understand the pain your going through now and my condolences for your own loss. Losing someone we love is never easy and I've had the same kind of experiences myself. My dad was someone so 'alive' and in love with life that everything still reminds me of him. He was never sedentary and was always 'doing' something, no matter what it might be. *hugs*
                          Last edited by Celandine; 12 August 2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I don't think you could really have a crossover between Sanctuary & SG1 since they're really in different universes, but if you could...

Issues to ponder.

--Would Magnus work on making a better form of tretonin?

--Would she even be interested in going through the Gate or would her work with Earth abnormals continue to be the thing?

--Would she be dodging the NID?

--Would Fraiser (she's not dead!) and Helen be friends?

--Would Tesla fall for Sam? (ok, of course he would ) What about Sam for Tesla?

Comment

Cel, I don't think there is any need to apologise. Although the thread may have started as a Sam/AT thread I think most of us will agree it has become much more than that. Even this cynical Luddite will admit to having made friends through this thread, some of whom I have met and some of whom I hope to meet one day. One of the things that makes this thread special is the ability to share our "off topic" issues. If others didn't care about your situation or Mandy's or others' then those things wouldn't "monopolise" the thread from time to time.

(((Group hug)))

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I agree with EH-T Cel, no worries.
                                I can only offer you big hugs, as I've (thankfully) never have had to deal with this kind of loss.
                                (((Cel)))
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X