Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Nicky!!!!! I just saw a pic from you

Fainne, very nice calender sheet!!

And EH-T (Karen Sharon, right?? *feels dumb*) ... congrats on 500 posts. Woo Hoo.
    Last edited by SamJackShipLover; 17 May 2008, 12:41 PM. Reason: Names are important :)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      how much of 'reminded to eat and sleep' is canon and how much is fanon?

I just bring it up as a topic. in 100 days, yeah, we see sam very 'focused'. And jack did make a comment about betting that sam would rather go off world than take time off (the light)

but how much is consistently 'sam forgets to sleep and eat' and how much is fanon or situationally generated (in other words, she only does it when she has hard deadline stuff vs. your average everyday projects)
      Well in The Other Side, Jack ask when she got in, and she indicates that she never left. We also have Jack ordering her to "get a life" in Ascension. I just always got the idea that when she's working on something "sciencey" that she loses all perspective of time. I guess that could have been amplified by fanfic.

Good question though.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
        Very nice sentiments

I've had this same react. The more I learn and see, both Amanda and Sam just keep getting better. And I can really see Amanda putting herself into Sam.
        I'll third that. Motion carried.

Amanda/Sam/Helen have and will continue to improve the more we learn.
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
        Anon

Comment

true. they've just never said if sam gets focused only when she has projects or deadlines, or if it's all the time.

fanfic certainly implies that it's all the time adn that sam needs a minder 24/7, but i wouldn't think you'd get to be a major/colonel in the air force if you can't take care of yourself

i think, sam's 'focus' was started by jacob and the need to please dad. then, once the joined the air force, her need to prove that she was as good as if not better than the men. and she couldn't physically best them, so she did it with accomplishments and working hard.

i think, in the first days of the SGC, she was driven and focused, but i think, as the years have gone on, she's learned to pace herself
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
            Not sure about the "not eating" but I remember two eps from early on where Sam forgot to sleep.

I think it was in Message in a bottle when Sam and Daniel spent the night working on the artefact. The next morning Jack comes in and reminds them that they were supposed to go on their next mission.

The other ep is Learning Curve where Sam actually falls asleep in her lab while the girl is working on something (the reactor?).

So, now that I snuck this information in I would like to introduce myself:
            Hi, I am Nicky and I think that Sam is indeed a great character.
            *waves*

...and AT rocks!
            Hi Nicky! Welcome to the insanity.

And yes, AT rocks the house!
            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
            Anon

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Inside or out.

Beautiful either way.

(Hey rderoch! Possessor of the best t-shirt at AT3. Glad you are still "surviving")
              Yup. Still here. How goes it up north?

Amanda liked our shirts too. We got extra photos cause she wanted group shots with the "survivors". Though two of our group were stewards so they couldn't wear their shirts for the piccies.

Oh, and congrats on 500!

Spots Mandy and *waves*.
              William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                You sound like a fangirl
                And?

*waves*

...and AT rocks!
                welcome to the thread! I hope you stick around and contribute to the insanity

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                hello my dear thunkers. I made a caledar sheet with Sam and wanted to share it with you. Hope you like it

very pretty indeed...well done.
                sigpic
                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                  LOL at the phone call. That would have been a lot of fun to listen too Their banter I'm sure was great! Both such great comedians.

Can someone explain the "Gofer on crack"? Sounds like G4 group pulled off another wonderful weekend for all those in attendance!!

Glad to hear so many of you are returning home safe and sound!!

Once you have rested what was your most memorable moment of the con?

I'm still wading through old posts to catch up so sorry if this has been answered. The "gopher on crack" comment was Amanda describing her laugh. She said she sounds like a GOC. She also joked about how that would end up on the internet. I believe I've already seen it on someone's sig.

Memorable moment is a tough one. Seeing Amanda in person for the first time at the cocktail party and having the opportunity to thank her are memorable. Overall I'd have to say the whole auction because it was such a hoot.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                    J

I have pics of the Quilt of Many Hugs which actually has our Samandan motto, Hic Comitas Regit and translation embroidered in the middle along with many, many names of fans - Amanda said that she plans to cuddle with Olivia under this quilt and think of her amazing and generous fanbase. It took Kay/Mumsey and Becky weeks to create this huge huggy honey of a quilt! Kudos!

I was "gifted" again by a fellow Samandan who paid for my trip to AT3 and, yes, kindness does reign here! It's unbelievable how so many of us have supported and helped each other through our connection to Amanda. She's like a magnet, drawing the best from people.

Another laudable moment: Amanda shared that a father treated his teen daughter to the weekend event as a reward for her excellent grades in school - I got to meet dad and daughter too while doing a steward stint at the main-hall doors. Lovely. I don't think dad even knew who Amanda was but could be wrong. He, of course, was charmed by end of event. Amanda was so touched that she phoned her own dad just to tell him what was happening.

And then I met a 17-year old boy from Germany who was jumping out of his shoes as he had won the tea with Amanda raffle and had just attended. Another winner was also a first-time attendee from the states - they were glowing. Believe me, I know what a high it is as I had the good fortune to win the tea raffle last year along with dipsofjazz - who was here this year too.

There were about 140 first-time attendees and many older folk, men and women, added to the diversity. One gent totally won Amanda and us over as he had composed a Sam-Carter song and Amanda got him to come up to the stage to share it. What a sweet moment! LOTS of sweet moments.

As JuliaR says, it's all about the people and Amanda's connection to her fans. Amanda tells us that it's our energy that she reflects, kind of a mutual admiration society, eh? I can't help but think what a boost of energy we gave her this weekend as she goes back to begin work on her new series. It was perfect timing to support her! No date yet set for the AT4 - we have to give G4 time to recuperate.

To those of you who have not yet had the chance to experience a GABIT event, save your pennies - it is truly a different kind of con - just like I told the customs agent at the airport - it's a "family reunion"! The entire staff are so welcoming and they and Amanda actually REMEMBER you!
                    How wonderful to have such a benefactor. However, having met you I would say you deserve such kindness. Lovely hearing the stories I had not heard before.

I met an aunt and her niece. The niece is a huge Stargate fan and her aunt came along as a chaperone. She had never even seen Stargate until watching some DVDs before the trip. By the end of the weekend she was a definite Amanda fan. I told her how great it was for her to support her niece and we discussed that it was important to support such a positive role model especially given all the bad ones that seem to dominate the news.

Comment

I met an aunt and her niece. The niece is a huge Stargate fan and her aunt came along as a chaperone. She had never even seen Stargate until watching some DVDs before the trip. By the end of the weekend she was a definite Amanda fan. I told her how great it was for her to support her niece and we discussed that it was important to support such a positive role model especially given all the bad ones that seem to dominate the news.
                      That wasn't Alana from Canada was it? She was in the seat next to me, and was accompanied by her aunt who didn't know what to expect and by the end she was really glad to have come. The things Amanda can do!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                        That wasn't Alana from Canada was it? She was in the seat next to me, and was accompanied by her aunt who didn't know what to expect and by the end she was really glad to have come. The things Amanda can do!
                        Yup. That was her. She sat next to me at the cocktail party. Lovely young woman.

Comment

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                          I know what you mean! Amanda just amazes me. Everytime I've met her she just blew me a way with her kindness. She really listens to what your saying, and has an incredible memory I might add!! she makes us very proud to be her fans, and I can't wait to see her again (hopefully she'll do some promotion for sanctuary in europe *crosses fingers*)!!!
                          What amazes me is that not only does she listen, but she ASKS. When I went up for my auto session with her, I assumed it would be pretty quick given the G4's need to keep things running smoothly. Instead though, Amanda asked where I was from right away. Not sure why she asked this, but she was generally interested to find that I had just flew so far for only a couple days. I was thrilled. She wished me a wonderful time and I stumbled over a few words of thanks before turning and taking my pics with her. She was very genuine and warm and even though I had heard tales of her personality with fans for so many years, it was quite a nice surprise to experience it firsthand. She's awesome and heck if I can't wait for AT4 to roll around next year!

Not sure about the "not eating" but I remember two eps from early on where Sam forgot to sleep.

I think it was in Message in a bottle when Sam and Daniel spent the night working on the artefact. The next morning Jack comes in and reminds them that they were supposed to go on their next mission.

The other ep is Learning Curve where Sam actually falls asleep in her lab while the girl is working on something (the reactor?).

*waves*

...and AT rocks!
                          Hey Nicky! Welcome! I hope you have fun playing with all us kids in the Samanda sandbox.

Thought an appropriate use of my 500th post would be to welcome the newbie. WELCOME! (It was that or comment on Mandy's biting)
                          Congrats on your 500th EH-T!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary-Jane View Post
                            Haha what is Amanda holding up in your sig? It looks like a baby jellyfish.
                            It kind of reminds me of the scene in Finding Nemo when Dory plays with the baby jellyfish...
                            LOL As was said, it was a crystal thingy with Ra inside. According to its new owner, Jill, it lights up too. Oooooooooh indeed.

Yep.

When you guys say meds are you talking about the high blood pressure meds I have to take when I venture into *other* threads on this lovely forum?
                            Wait...hold the phone. There are other threads?

*snicker*

I can barely keep up with this one! I have already had to invest in the "subscribe" feature, which I've never used anywhere else...and already deleted a few.
                            Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              What amazes me is that not only does she listen, but she ASKS. When I went up for my auto session with her, I assumed it would be pretty quick given the G4's need to keep things running smoothly. Instead though, Amanda asked where I was from right away. Not sure why she asked this, but she was generally interested to find that I had just flew so far for only a couple days. I was thrilled. She wished me a wonderful time and I stumbled over a few words of thanks before turning and taking my pics with her. She was very genuine and warm and even though I had heard tales of her personality with fans for so many years, it was quite a nice surprise to experience it firsthand. She's awesome and heck if I can't wait for AT4 to roll around next year!
                              Isn't it great when actors are nicer and more courteous than some people in real life? Especially because you know they have much more stressful lives which you would think would make them more impatient... And that caring for people really comes across in her portrayal of Sam (and Helen), though with those characters there's other aspects to them to temper their big hearts, but not so much that you forget that they would gladly die to save others. I came across a quote once that was something like "What kind of lame power is 'heart' anyway?", referring how some characters in books/TV seem only to be there as the "heart of the team"...but as funny as that is, all you have to do is look at Stargate to see how many good things can be done with characters who are all heart like Sam and Daniel. Or well, mostly heart...don't want to get on Sam's bad side.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                              ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Wow I was only gone for a week and come back to new features on Gateworld (that I am too tired to figure out at the moment... but guessing it's like Sanctuary's site??)

Welcome to Nicky and all the newbies!!

Happy belated birthday to all those I missed
                                Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 17 May 2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X