Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
    AT and I share the same favorite swear word (from what I remember you telling me). It's just so useful!

And it does depend on the crowd. A group of 'Scapers? I'll not censor myself at all. At dance class in front of 8-17 year olds? I'm all sugar mouth.
    Yeppers if you think you're remembering what I told you...then you're right.

Scapers are such potty mouths...well all the fun ones are anyway.

Around small children and my mom I'm pretty sugary.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
      I wouldn't worry about that...I've been asked 'Where are you from in Tennessee/Texas/Australia/New Zealand/Canada/Scotland/Wales and Ireland?' while at work....whats worrying is I am wearing a name tag that says on it in large letters 'Sheffield England'
      To some people reading isn't even fundamental...

Though living in the States has helped...though occassionally my boss will turn round and demand that I speak English...but I think that's more because I use long words
      My sister claims her IQ goes up when I'm around. Because I tend to use either large or unusual (to the USA) words in everyday conversation.

And I've had to define words I use at bible study meetings. What's scary is the meetings are *on a university campus*. Yikes, I'm not even that smart.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I finally saw Quarantine last night and it was really
        Spoiler:
        It's was so good to see Sam talking technobabble again and working with that computer. also, wow, she's hot in the episode. I bet when she took off her shirt guys were all like And I thought it was really nice when she told zelenka the city owed him. He got stuck in an elevator with Sam, he saved the day, and got a "Way da go" from her, it's good to be zellenk in this episode.

But it was classic when she was talking about the pigeons. God I missed her making jokes and talking science. I really hope to see a lot more from her in the future, because after all these years it's still a real treat to see her.
        Last edited by Rocky89; 21 January 2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

AT and I share the same favorite swear word (from what I remember you telling me). It's just so useful!

And it does depend on the crowd. A group of 'Scapers? I'll not censor myself at all. At dance class in front of 8-17 year olds? I'm all sugar mouth.
          Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
          Here's a question for everyone:

Has Sam ever cursed on screen during SG1 or Atlantis?

I can remember only one time where she said the word but a klaxon prevented you from hearing it (when Sam and Jonas were walking down the hall and Jonas wanted Sam to tell a nurse he liked her). Because you can't hear it, I don't count this one.

Were there any other times?
          Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
          She's actually said d*** or D***it several times over the years, but I haven't heard anything else. She might have said A** a couple of times. I dunno.

Too true! I try really hard not to swear, but after I've smacked my head on a light or on the top of the car AGAIN, it just kinda pops out. and you should see the looks i get! It's pretty funny, actually.
          I've actually only heard her use 3 somewhat potty mouth words in 3 interviews online. I can post them if anyone wants, I didn't now because I didn't want to get in trouble, so I'm just playing it safe

BTW, I was thinking on somewhat changing my user name, because I don't know where 456 came from. I was thinking on either "Rocky 89" that's the year I was born , or "Carvey" because that's my nickname at school. But pretty much everyone knows me as "Rocky" so... I don't know, but the opinions of everyone here means a lot to me. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
            FIVE WORD CHALLENGE update:
            Spoiler:

The Rules: 5 words of what you'd say to Amanda if you saw her. Only it has to be exactly 5 words. Not 4. Not 6. FIVE.

Alan: Will you marry me Amanda
            RepliCartertje: Your boobies all the way
            Mandysg1: Thanks for Sam and Helen
            Agent Dark: your micro is teh pwnage
            mapsc (Mike): Sam rocks. So do you.
            suse: You are a class act.
            Sg Gato: You're an inspiration to us.
            hisg1fans: Keep up the good work
            The-rage: Who inspired you for acting?
            SunKrux: How's Olivia's Devil Duck Doing?
            JanSam: Please run for US President.
            jckfan55: Sam's a great Atlantis Commander.
            NZNeep: Inspiring, goofy, loving, smart. Hugs?
            Deejay435: Your work brings me joy.
            antoa315: Holy ----! You ------- rock!
            Tittamiire: Amanda, thank you for everything.
            antoa315's offline friend Mysterious Stranger: Purple monkey dishwasher... thank you!
            Skydiver: hey, wanna go get lunch?
            donamac: She's beautiful inside and out!
            majorsal: YOU ARE THE WO MAN!!
            Rocky456: Amanda, never change a thing.
            RealmOfX: Amanda's amazing, awesome, astounding, aweinspiring.
            Bekah See: You're my all-time favorite actress.
            LaCroix: One all around magnificent person.
            tara3583: Amanda, Fans, circle of love!
            SamJackShipLover: Amanda you are the best!
            Spacegirlnz: Thank you for being you =)
            helenmagnus23: AMANDA, the greatest role model.
            Julia(samcarterrules): Amanda, you are my hero.
            chelle db: Tappinating Spottie inspiring all Samandans!
            sofie: You have the biggest heart.
            Celandine: Thanks for just being you.
            scifithinker: Making our lives more colorful.
            Suz: Come back to New York!
            Ames: You rock the rock-rock!
            Tracy Jane: My girlfriend wants a hug.
            Coley: Thanks for your megawatt smile.
            SWMBOTGSG (aka Mumsey): Thanks for always being yourself.
            jz9: Sam: Captain, Major, Colonel, General?

And in the Smart Aleck of the Year category:
            by scifithinker for Über:
            Making our lives more surreal.

To know Ooober is to luv Oooober
            . *hugs teh crazy/funny Neeplet

Let's keep it going!!! Has anyone who wants to play not have a chance yet?
            OOh i'll do one

Atlantis_babe34: Can I Have A Hug?

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Welcome back! Don't be a stranger! (Though we are acting a bit strange at the moment...)

suse
            lol thanks!

The more the merrier. And to counter suse's claim, the strangeness isn't temporary...it's a permanent state of being for us. Especially with Skydiver leading the fray.

LOL, don't worry you guys arn't as bad as the chicky's on the Torri thread
            Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
            Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              nonono, international fic has sam taking the lift up to the car park, hitting the market on the way home, where she uses a trolly to purchase her groceries. she puts the bags in the boot next to her emergency torch and drives home, turning the telly on in the lounge room where she kicks off her trainers then she makes herself a cuppa and has some biscuits while she snuggles in her jumper and picks at the plaster janet put on a minor cut of hers
              LOLOL. Well, being from te Netherlands most doesn't bother me at all (I don't even notice), the only thing I hate is when Sam & Jack (I mostly read ship fic ) call each other my love. Is that typical english? It sounds wrong somehow for them to be saying that.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                LOLOL. Well, being from te Netherlands most doesn't bother me at all (I don't even notice), the only thing I hate is when Sam & Jack (I mostly read ship fic ) call each other my love. Is that typical english? It sounds wrong somehow for them to be saying that.
                It's a term of endearment, but not a terribly common one here.

I also thinks it's way too sappy sweet for Jack and Sam. Blech. Actually any pet name in a fic bothers me.

Comment

It's a term of endearment, but not a terribly common one here.

I also thinks it's way too sappy sweet for Jack and Sam. Blech. Actually any pet name in a fic bothers me.

OMG that bugs me too unless its like a deferment of their actual name like 'Sammy', or something like that, other then that pet names like "honey" and all that just bug me. i think its out of character, but thats just me.

Comment

Hello all

I thought Quarantine was a good ep.
                    Spoiler:
                    It was great to see Sam again. There were some funny moments and she was so patient with Radek.

Here are my 5 words for Amanda...

You make science geeks cool!

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                    I remember being extremely nervous when I first met her, and she is just so nice and shows a real interest in you, that you forget about those nervs.
                    She's just such a classy, down-to-earth person, that after meeting her you love her even more
                    This is true

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                    edit: Noticed that this was my 600th post I'm getting closer to the 1000

Late congrats on your 600th post! Also, congrats to anyone else who has reached a milestone. I always miss them, since I don't get on here enough

The more the merrier. And to counter suse's claim, the strangeness isn't temporary...it's a permanent state of being for us. Especially with Skydiver leading the fray.
                    Strangeness is awesome! No one should stay too sane, it will make them crazy

Originally posted by Rocky456 View Post
                    I've actually only heard her use 3 somewhat potty mouth words in 3 interviews online. I can post them if anyone wants, I didn't now because I didn't want to get in trouble, so I'm just playing it safe

BTW, I was thinking on somewhat changing my user name, because I don't know where 456 came from. I was thinking on either "Rocky 89" that's the year I was born , or "Carvey" because that's my nickname at school. But pretty much everyone knows me as "Rocky" so... I don't know, but the opinions of everyone here means a lot to me. Any ideas?
                    I'm sorry, I don't think I actually know you that well, but personally I'd probably stick to Rocky, just so you don't have to explain who you are. However, I changed my name from Carson's girl and I had to do that, so it's not that big of a deal. If you like both names the same though, I'd probably stick with Rocky. I think Rocky456 is fine though, even if you don't know where the number came from. No one knows that besides you, well excpept for people who read your post
                    Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                    Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

FIVE WORD CHALLENGE update:
                      Spoiler:

The Rules: 5 words of what you'd say to Amanda if you saw her. Only it has to be exactly 5 words. Not 4. Not 6. FIVE.

Let's keep it going!!! Has anyone who wants to play not have a chance yet?
                      Uhm...can I change mine??? I think I'd prefer:
                      You're the awesome-est Tappinating Spottie!!
                      Is that ok?? Sorry.:O
                      Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                      Exactly...for me it depends on the large group as to whether or not I'll be a super potty mouth or just a teeny one.
                      Same here...when I hang out with my brothers I kinda go feral...but when with my kids and certain friends...I'm all sweet talkin...chatty but no potty mouth!!
                      Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                      Would you guys believe me if I said I'm sweet, innocent and don't a have a potty mouth?
                      Julia(samcarterrules)
                      For all of five minutes maybe...after that..forget it!!!!
                      i loved the sam and jonas relationship simply because jonas' presence allowed sam to change.
                      she was a co-worker to daniel. equal and compatriot. but with jonas, she got to be a big sister and more of a mentoring relationship then equals.
                      i like how jonas allowed her to loosen up a bit
                      Yeah...I think Sam kinda grew a lot during that period with Jonas...she seemed to shine a lot more.
                      Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      *sobs* I need cake.
                      Awww...I have some peanut butter cookies!!! You're not allergic to nuts are you Alan...have to ask nowadays just in case!!
                      Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                      Sometimes I feel as though I need a translation book when I read this thread
                      Tell me about it...and I'm considered one of the foreigners...sheesh!!
                      Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                      sifnt be one with teh 'U'
                      See...perfect example...and the scary thing is...I think I actually do understand it...even if it takes me a while to decipher it!!!
                      It's always a hoot reading ficcie done by an international fan. It's easy to tell.
                      "That's rubbish!!" Sam growled angrily, her cheeks suffused with colour.
                      Translation: Not written by an American.
                      PS. Me lovie our international fans and hope they know that I'm just a-teasin'.
                      And what is wrong with that sentence????? I understand it perfectly!!!
                      nonono, international fic has sam taking the lift up to the car park, hitting the market on the way home, where she uses a trolly to purchase her groceries. she puts the bags in the boot and drives home, turning the telly on in the lounge room while she makes herself a cuppa and has some biscuits while she snuggles in her jumper and picks at the plaster janet put on a minor cut of hers
                      Wow!! That's pretty much my day every day...except:
                      I take the lift down to the car park, hitting the shops on the way home where I use a trolley to put the shopping in. Then I put the bags in the boot and drive home, turning on my telly in the lounge room while I make myself a cuppa with some biscuits. I don't like to put on a jumper at the moment as it's too warm for that instead I put on a t shirt shorts and thongs and pick at the band aid on my sore finger!!
                      I don't use plaster...that's what you use on a cast or on the wall...we use band aids!!
                      Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      LOL, my 12 year old cousing from Australia was visiting, and when he was leaving he was asking if any one knew where his jumper was. Well I answered him "I didn't know you wore a dress."
                      You call a dress a jumper??? Hmmm...strange!!!!
                      Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      I think the only things missing are her wearing trainers & carrying a torch.
                      You mean runners! And what's wrong with the torch??? I had to hold the torch for hubby last night when he fixed the rear lights on my car!!!
                      My sister claims her IQ goes up when I'm around. Because I tend to use either large or unusual (to the USA) words in everyday conversation.
                      And I've had to define words I use at bible study meetings. What's scary is the meetings are *on a university campus*. Yikes, I'm not even that smart.
                      suse
                      Hehe...last year I was standing outside with my mum and the weather was looking a little bleak and I had just said..."Gee it's looking rather ominous outside tonight"...mum was like..."What????"...so I explained what it meant...then when dad was in hospital a couple of weeks ago I had to call my oldest brother (he was on the road...he's a truckie!)and I said to him that dad was fine and was quite lucid....well with little bro on the left and big bro on the blower in my right ear I got this resounding..."What the .... does lucid mean??"....I'm thinking I should just shut up sometimes!!!
                      Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                      Oh i so agree with you. I'm a shipper too and that kinda makes my face screw up when I read mushy stuff that is way out of character...I don't even like Jack calling Sam "Sammy"...I don't mind the odd sweetheart or honey but only a little bit at a time...not that I don't read the fics or still enjoy them it just kinda makes me go "Oh no!!"

So...I had a dream last night that Amanda came to Oz...and the Q&A was in the middle of a shopping center!! You should have heard the crowd when she came in...it was awesome!!
                      BUT...stupid me was sprouting of questions left right and center...I was just going for it hammer and tongs!!
                      Then she showed us her caravan...then we went for a ride to the mountains and I was like "Oh wow...that's where I caught this huge trout when I was 10...and that's where we built a damn with sticks...and that's where we did blah blah blah...in the end I think poor Amanda wanted to throttle me!!
                      I wanted to throttle me!! I think I was just really excited!
                      You should have seen the look she gave me by the end...she was totally exasperated!!...I am SO NOT going to be like that when I do meet her...I'd rather sew my lips shut than do that!!!...looking back on that dream I think it was more of a nightmare!!
                      And you know what bugs me the most...I had theses really cool questions at the beginning and I can't remember what they were....and I know they were good coz we were getting on quite well til we got to her caravan...D'oH!

Anyhoo...still waiting for news on whether we'll see Sam back in Atlantis for season 5...still crossing fingers and trying to stay positive!
                      Night night everyone! Take care, be safe and have fun!!
                      (((Samanda)))
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hello! HD caps of Quarantine have just arrived to my Photobucket... If you are interested, check them out!

Comment

Thanks JennyJ

Comment

nonono, international fic has sam taking the lift up to the car park, hitting the market on the way home, where she uses a trolly to purchase her groceries. she puts the bags in the boot and drives home, turning the telly on in the lounge room while she makes herself a cuppa and has some biscuits while she snuggles in her jumper and picks at the plaster janet put on a minor cut of hers

LOL I understood you all the way up to her "putting her bags in the boot". Now what in the heck is that? And a "plaster" has me thinking of something entirely different than what I know its supposed to mean.

LOL, my 12 year old cousing from Australia was visiting, and when he was leaving he was asking if any one knew where his jumper was. Well I answered him "I didn't know you wore a dress."
                            I would have loved to see his expression when you said that one. *snickers*

the jumper thing really throws me off. The first time I read a fic where Sam (or Jack) wore a jumper I was all WTF?! Why would she (he) be wearing a little girl's dress.
                            LOL..thankfully I havent read anything like that yet. Usually when there's colloquial wording in fics that above my head, I just skip over it...unless its imperative to the story. Then of course I'm pulling out my dictionary or googling it to see what comes up. I'm an avid reader though and usually I can pick things up quickly and generalize what exactly the gist of the sentence is saying without too much trouble.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I wouldn't worry about that...I've been asked 'Where are you from in Tennessee/Texas/Australia/New Zealand/Canada/Scotland/Wales and Ireland?' while at work....whats worrying is I am wearing a name tag that says on it in large letters 'Sheffield England'
                            What's laughable is how they mistake your British accent for American. I mean Tennessee and Texas have their own unmistakable drawl that is entirely their own.

This is a bit ot but I had to add it. When I first started chatting with Titi, she'd use these Britishisms that had me very confused. Finally one day I googled my frustrations out and found this site (http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm) and this one as well, (http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictiona...ters/title.php). Finally we were on the same page!

I usually tend to "dump down" by vocab when speaking with some people cos I know they would never understand me anyways and trying to explain everything twice is such a waste of time.

If I'm not thinking about it though, when at work and talking casually with a customer about a trip they took or whatever, I'll automatically switch back and I laugh afterwards at their expressions to the 'big' words I'll have used and wonder if they even understood me at all

Originally posted by Rocky456 View Post
                            I like Rocky cos as you said, it's the name we all know you best by.

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                            Hehe...last year I was standing outside with my mum and the weather was looking a little bleak and I had just said..."Gee it's looking rather ominous outside tonight"...mum was like..."What????"...so I explained what it meant...then when dad was in hospital a couple of weeks ago I had to call my oldest brother (he was on the road...he's a truckie!)and I said to him that dad was fine and was quite lucid....well with little bro on the left and big bro on the blower in my right ear I got this resounding..."What the .... does lucid mean??"....I'm thinking I should just shut up sometimes!!!
                            For what it's worth, I totally understood you here.
                            Last edited by Celandine; 22 January 2008, 01:14 PM.

Comment

the 'boot' is what the brits call a car trunk

i gotta admit the biggest thing is jack putting on a jumper..because to an american, a jumper is a pinafore like dress, often plaid
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And yes, I do believe you've figured out my favorite word So very versatile.
                                Actually, I think it was me who explained to ames what your favourite word was, seeing as she was sleepily lying on my lap with a very confused look on her face. "Honey... I don't get it."

Have you by any chance started adding an extra U to your words
                                Extra? Extra?! And I thought you guys were on OUR side.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                                Those U's aren't extra they belong there
                                *Nods* Thank you RoX.

i have found myself typiing behaviour
                                Hoooooozah! We've finally trained her.

I actually spell some words with the U too. Too much UK fanfic... And chatting on forums. Though the B5 e-mail list I was on really did it to me.

suse
                                Too much fanfic? No such thing.

Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                                Sometimes I feel as though I need a translation book when I read this thread
                                Yupp. I don't speak American, don't speak Atlantis and DEFINITELY don't speak AD.

(it's trolley and we just say lounge, not lounge room).

Okay, I'm going to try and reverse engineer this. How well can I do (North) American?

american fic has sam taking the elevator up to the parking lot, hitting the grocery store on the way home, where she uses a shopping cart to purchase her groceries. she puts the bags in the trunk and drives home, turning the tv on in the living room while she makes herself a coffee(!) and has some cookies while she snuggles in her sweater and picks at the band-aid janet put on a minor cut of hers

Now, to me, the above looks quite gobbledygook-ey. Hopefully it will make some sense to someone out there. I'll be interested to know if I've got any of that vaguely correct.

the jumper thing really throws me off. The first time I read a fic where Sam (or Jack) wore a jumper I was all WTF?! Why would she (he) be wearing a little girl's dress.
                                The first time someone said to me, "aww, you'd look really cute in a jumper", I went "huh?" Now I get it. Sweater. Not jumper.

Originally posted by The-rage View Post
                                I dont think she's needed a pair of trainers for a couple years now..shes quite well developed...
                                I don't get it.

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                                Yeppers if you think you're remembering what I told you...then you're right.

Scapers are such potty mouths...well all the fun ones are anyway.

Around small children and my mom I'm pretty sugary.
                                Mmmmmmm..... sugar

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                                You mean runners! And what's wrong with the torch??? I had to hold the torch for hubby last night when he fixed the rear lights on my car!!!
                                I grew up using runners as well, actually. But that's generally an Irish thing, or so I'm told. I think they call a torch "flashlight" in North America.

i gotta admit the biggest thing is jack putting on a jumper..because to an american, a jumper is a pinafore like dress, often plaid
                                You know, I have a strange line on this one, but I think that might be because I'm British.

I prefer words to have their requisite British "u"s. Firstly, it bugs me if it's not there and sometimes I genuinely can't recognise the word if it's not got the "u" in it. Something in my brain switches off and blanks.

In direct speech (and often in reported speech as well), I like the American terms to be used. I probably wouldn't have spotted "that's rubbish" as a Briticism but in my head, I hear Sam saying something a little stronger, and can't hear her as a character saying "rubbish". As far as I'm concerned, Sam talking about biscuits and so on is completely out of character. Or rather, it's not using her voice.

In description and general prose, I don't mind the Briticisms. As a Brit myself, it makes it easier for me to read.

The way I see it, Britfic is no different to fic written in French or German. American English and Brtish English have their own grammatical rules and lexicon, and I think that it's perfectly normal. The only time that it grates for me is when it affects the character, such as in direct speech.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X