Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
    It's quite possible to find the character hotter or more attractive than the actor.
    Michael Shanks isn't anyway as sexy to me as Daniel is.

Silkie is perfectly entitled to find Sam to sexier than Amanda, it's not a contradiction at all, everyones perceptions are equally valid.

FF
    Considering that I sometimes find someone attractive in only the one role (witness my mild infatuation with Refus Sewell in 'Taming of the Shrew', amongst other examples ) then yes, I would agree with that. What that character is like as a personality, what changes the actor makes to their physical presence (holding themselves, gestures, voice use, etc) and even appearance to play them, and also whether they're good in that role, I find And sometimes it works equally. It just happens differently for people.

In this case, I seem to find Amanda hotter than Sam (although I think AT as Sam is really lovely) and I think it's because of the humour, amongst other things. Eh, try and figure me out
    sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

It's quite possible to find the character hotter or more attractive than the actor.

Silkie is perfectly entitled to find Sam to sexier than Amanda, it's not a contradiction at all, everyones perceptions are equally valid.

FF
      Yes, and Ooooober's reaction is equally valid.

See, you find MS unsexy yet you find Daniel sexy. I don't find either sexy. Give me RDA/Jack and CJ/Teal'c or Cliff/Ba'al any day over MS in any form he plays.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
        Considering that I sometimes find someone attractive in only the one role (witness my mild infatuation with Refus Sewell in 'Taming of the Shrew', amongst other examples ) then yes, I would agree with that. What that character is like as a personality, what changes the actor makes to their physical presence (holding themselves, gestures, voice use, etc) and even appearance to play them, and also whether they're good in that role, I find
        I'm trying to decide if I find Amanda or Sam more attractive.
        I prefer Amanda's dress sense (cammo just doesn't do it for me) and she knows how to dress to suit herself, it's astonishing how many people don't.
        She's also lucky in that she looks equally good with either long or short hair.
        She has a fresh beauty and is not the ultra thin that Hollywood seems to demand; she looks healthy and normal.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
          Yes, and Ooooober's reaction is equally valid.

See, you find MS unsexy yet you find Daniel sexy. I don't find either sexy. Give me RDA/Jack and CJ/Teal'c or Cliff/Ba'al any day over MS in any form he plays.
          But do you constantly find the actor or the character more attractive?
          I find Daniel more attractive than Michael, Jack more attractive than RDA.
          I find Cliff/Ba'al and Amanda/Sam to be about equally attractive and CJ more attractive than Teal'c.

I was merely pointing out, as silkie had said, that the correlation between the attractiveness of the actor to character is not strictly linear; it's possible to find Sam hot but Amanda just attractive.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know that I can define what it is about AT, but she's got that "something" that draws your eye whether you're male or female. I think she's beautiful as Sam or herself. I think some of it is what FF said--a "fresh" natural beauty.

I'm with you, SunKrux, on RDA/Jack and CJ/Teal'c. Hubba hubba!

Comment

I'm trying to decide if I find Amanda or Sam more attractive.
              I prefer Amanda's dress sense (cammo just doesn't do it for me) and she knows how to dress to suit herself, it's astonishing how many people don't.
              She's also lucky in that she looks equally good with either long or short hair.
              She has a fresh beauty and is not the ultra thin that Hollywood seems to demand; she looks healthy and normal.

FF
              And when she doesn't it quite right it's not even something that people could get their claws into her for (unless they were especially pathetic) because it's because she likes orange, darn it, and she's going to wear it I've been rewatching the early seasons and although I really like her then, the way that AT has aged and changed over the last ten years is great. She looks practically luminous and has the womanly figure you're meant to have if you're that height, that age and you've had kids. Maybe that last bit has something to do with it as well Also their habit of not always doing her make-up right for the show (particularly in the early seasons- don't they know she's fair?) means that I like the subtler look that she has for herself.

I'm babbling again, aren't I?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                I don't know that I can define what it is about AT, but she's got that "something" that draws your eye whether you're male or female. I think she's beautiful as Sam or herself. I think some of it is what FF said--a "fresh" natural beauty.

I'm with you, SunKrux, on RDA/Jack and CJ/Teal'c. Hubba hubba!
                I know your name says jckfan, but he's mine...hands off!

back on topic, yes Amanda has that special something that draws you to her
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

FF
                  I agree with you to an extent. I find Jack much hotter than RDA (although RDA is gorgeous too ). There's just something about Jack.

But here's where I have a slight problem: would you say MS is only "slightly above-average looking" (which doesn't really come across as much of a compliment IMHO) and then say Daniel is unbelievably hot?

I think it is completely valid to think a character is hotter than the actor/actress playing him/her. It's also completely valid to think an actor/actress is "slightly above average looking." And silkie certainly has the right to feel any way she/he wants to about AT. But I have trouble understanding how someone could think a character is hot/gorgeous when the actor playing that character is only "slightly above average," unless the character looks radically different than the actor due to makeup and costumes. It doesn't quite make sense to my overly logical brain.

So, I guess I'm with Über on this one.

BTW - I tend to agree with resurgamlaura. I have always found Amanda more attractive than Sam - although both are beautiful in their own ways.

Comment

And when she doesn't it quite right it's not even something that people could get their claws into her for (unless they were especially pathetic) because it's because she likes orange, darn it, and she's going to wear it I've been rewatching the early seasons and although I really like her then, the way that AT has aged and changed over the last ten years is great. She looks practically luminous and has the womanly figure you're meant to have if you're that height, that age and you've had kids. Maybe that last bit has something to do with it as well Also their habit of not always doing her make-up right for the show (particularly in the early seasons- don't they know she's fair?) means that I like the subtler look that she has for herself.

I'm babbling again, aren't I?
                    FF looks at the terracotta wall with all the books on it, opposite her chair. Which some might call orange. Nowt wrong with orange.

I think Amanda's make up is quite frequently better than Sam's. I prefer her hair long or short, not in-between as it was sometimes in the show, about season four?

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post

I think it is completely valid to think a character is hotter than the actor/actress playing him/her. It's also completely valid to think an actor/actress is "slightly above average looking." And silkie certainly has the right to feel any way she/he wants to about AT. But I have trouble understanding how someone could think a character is hot/gorgeous when the actor playing that character is only "slightly above average," unless the character looks radically different than the actor due to makeup and costumes. It doesn't quite make sense to my overly logical brain.

BTW - I tend to agree with resurgamlaura. I have always found Amanda more attractive than Sam - although both are beautiful in their own ways.
                      I'm not the only one for once, then

In certain cases it can be a personality thing, or particular traits that come out at certain times that people find enhance the physical side, if that makes sense. I could see how it could happen, although it's not quite something I feel. Although I did spend my first viewing of S6 changing my mind about whether CN was attractive every five minutes based on what the character was doing/saying, his costuming, or how he was lit, so maybe that's not entirely true...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        I know your name says jckfan, but he's mine...hands off!
                        Dream on! You'll have to fight Sally & me for him.

Comment

FF looks at the terracotta wall with all the books on it, opposite her chair. Which some might call orange. Nowt wrong with orange.

I think Amanda's make up is quite frequently better than Sam's. I prefer her hair long or short, not in-between as it was sometimes in the show, about season four?

FF
                          I had an orange bedroom at one point, so no complaining here (although more of a purple, blue or red person), but orange isn't always the best colour for someone that fair. But if you really, really like it, no-one should stop you entirely, I think

S4 was the in-between hair, yes. I like it long but strangely I also liked it when it was really, really short circa S6 because it gave her this kind of boyish, quirky look, which I find weirdly cute The make-up for Sam was, as I said, not taking her colouring into account in S1-early S3, which I think is very strange. From what I've seen the SGA look for her is much better, thank goodness. Amanda's is more natural-looking and enhancing, which is what the stuff is meant to do, especially as she doesn't really need enhancing
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm not the only one for once, then

In certain cases it can be a personality thing, or particular traits that come out at certain times that people find enhance the physical side, if that makes sense. I could see how it could happen, although it's not quite something I feel. Although I did spend my first viewing of S6 changing my mind about whether CN was attractive every five minutes based on what the character was doing/saying, his costuming, or how he was lit, so maybe that's not entirely true...
                            I think you're right. Amanda's personality just seems to add to her attractiveness to me. Case in point - here is the link to Part 1 of her Q+A at Scifi.com. She is just so goofy and lovely at the same time.

"I am the MAN"

Comment

I agree with you to an extent. I find Jack much hotter than RDA (although RDA is gorgeous too ). There's just something about Jack.

But here's where I have a slight problem: would you say MS is only "slightly above-average looking" (which doesn't really come across as much of a compliment IMHO) and then say Daniel is unbelievably hot?

I'm guessing here, but I think it's that elusive 'X factor' belonging with sexual attraction, the difference between 'not bad looking' and 'phwar!!!!!'

Some people like 'props' or triggers to raise that 'X factor' - it might be high heels or it might be cammo and a P90?

It might be the fantasy of the character they play; the single, galaxy hopping soldier cum astrophysicist, rather than the married mother the actress is in reality.
                              Amanda, the married mother who's an actress might just be attractive - she's very happily married, so not available and she's a real person, so fantasizing about her in a sexual way might not be acceptable.
                              Sam, the single soldier cum astrophysicist might be hot - she's both single and also she's not real, so fantasizing about her is safe and not harmful to anyone.

Human attraction and sexuality is a complex issue.

FF
                              sigpic

Comment

Case in point - here is the link to Part 1 of her Q+A at Scifi.com. She is just so goofy and lovely at the same time.

"I am the MAN"
                                frack, im at work, can't watch. no-one watch till i get home k.

Comment

Working...
                                X