X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday CG!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Do Mr. Emu and Duck Dodgers get to write the preface ?
      Oh, dear Gods - now I think I have to do something like "Stargate Science For the Calculus Averse", just so that Dr. Emu and Captain Dodgers can write the chapter intros and summaries for things like:

1. Artificial Wormhole Transportation Technology
      2. Then, Now, And Then Again With The Acme Time Machine
      3. Ailurophobic Scientists, Claustrophobic Cats and The Indecisive Radioactive Isotope

LOL!
      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
        Oh, dear Gods - now I think I have to do something like "Stargate Science For the Calculus Averse", just so that Dr. Emu and Captain Dodgers can write the chapter intros and summaries for things like:

3. Ailurophobic Scientists, Claustrophobic Cats and The Indecisive Radioactive Isotope

LOL!
        But what about motorcycle riding and lock picking?
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          FCOL, how did you know?! That's me on the far left - I've gained some weight since GABIT ...

Oh dear!! Happy Birthday ChopinGal!!! I hope you have had a great birthday today!!

Comment

Happy Birthday ChopinGal!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              Oh dear!! Happy Birthday ChopinGal!!! I hope you have had a great birthday today!!
              ROTFLOL at you guys tonight! Not to worry, my birthday (stateside time) begins in another couple hours. I'm the Ides of March and this is a hoot tonight reading these wonderful well wishes. It's like I get to celebrate for two days rather than one!

TJ, you done made me proud, woman! Terrific birthday poem and I'm blushing. I'm not used to being on the receiving end of a poem. I like it, I like it! Thank your visitor for buying the wine that got you tipsy that got you writing the poem ... in vino, veritas.

Little Page, you warmed my heart!

And, yes, keep the Royal Bar open all night so my good friends can celebrate with me! Meeting so many of you here at Samanda has been a gift in itself. You're a great group of people. Hic Comitas Regit.

Comment

Awww, you're too kind, CG. But you could hardly write your own poem, could you now? It would spoil the fun.

Well, ladies, I'm off to bed now, so I won't be able to see in CG's birthday stateside, but I'll join you all tomorrow/later today.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  ROTFLOL at you guys tonight! Not to worry, my birthday (stateside time) begins in another couple hours. I'm the Ides of March and this is a hoot tonight reading these wonderful well wishes. It's like I get to celebrate for two days rather than one!

TJ, you done made me proud, woman! Terrific birthday poem and I'm blushing. I'm not used to being on the receiving end of a poem. I like it, I like it! Thank your visitor for buying the wine that got you tipsy that got you writing the poem ... in vino, veritas.

Little Page, you warmed my heart!

And, yes, keep the Royal Bar open all night so my good friends can celebrate with me! Meeting so many of you here at Samanda has been a gift in itself. You're a great group of people. Hic Comitas Regit.

Just call me a lemur. I was following everyone's lead. Consider it an early birthday present, CG. :blushes:
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Could you please identify yourself and the other shippers in this pic
                    I'm the penguin that took the picture.

I'm always the one behind the camera: safest place there is if one wants to avoid a snapshot ambush.
                    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ummm yes Sim.... er please do that.... and when you're done can you tell me what the hell you just said

Or maybe I just fit into the calculusly averse category

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

LOL!
                      sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday ChopinGal!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          ok, for all 3 of you that have been waiting

http://www.jackfic.com/emeraldcity/t.../trinkets9.htm

final chapter of trinkets
                          Yes! Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            <snip>

I do not for one moment think I am being rude. I think I am being honest. I dislike the charcater because of the message the character may project about women and which in my opinion is a very very negative message. I want women in leading roles who may be held up as role models to be portrayed in a much better light. Not watching is my protest - and maybe a watering down of this character is due to a lot of veiwers protesting about this character as I do.

If we do not actively protest about what we percieive to be unacceptable we would never be able to make a difference. Sometimes actions are more important than words. It is important to stand by what you believe.
                            I know I trust and respect more those who are actually walking the walk versus just talking the talk.
                            If Vala's character changes - then that is great as far as I'm concerned - maybe if they also get back to what SG1 is supposed to be about I may watch. But Vala will not be Vala will she - she will be a different character - probably the one they should have written from the start and maybe a character we would never have seen if people hadn't aired their negative views about the character in her original guise.

To be honest someone who happily bleeds a planet dry and lets it's people languish in poverty and on the brink of starvation whilst lavishing themselves in luxury (tell me how is this character fun?) has got to have a complete lack of integrity and lack of compassion. I'm not entirely convinced that in the real world people like this have the capability of changing I think the problem runs far too deep. The lewd remarks the strutting and flirting is more suited to a person of adolescent age and I just find it annoying.
                            I wonder if this is a reflection of the world at large (or at least the media at large)? Images and sound bites disconnected from reality are foisted on us 24/7/365... we're taught women need to be bone thin to be beautiful and normal in this society, that to 'win' is to see the 'opponent' suffer, that using/abusing/disrespecting others is okay and even encouraged? We're repeatedly given examples of cheaters/liars/bad guys conquering all.... this is what Westerners (and anyone interesting in our culture and icons) are fed a diet of daily and we're being promoted as.... Is it little wonder then many of us found refuge in SG and a female character - Sam-- who was the antithesis of all that we're bombarded with elsewhere?

I mean the sexualizing of toddlers and young children... in the past century in the West we developed a culture of a long childhood so children could enjoy more innocent years than in the past where few got to enjoy the luxury of school and most worked or married/had children young, and the harsh realities of life impacted children darn early. And now here we're slowly eroding the gift they were given by bombarding them with messages that aren't great and certainly are mixed.
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              But I'm having issues with so many things. It's not a single character or relationship between characters. It's the plot holes you can drive tractor trailers through. It's the lack of attention to continuity and details. It's the lack of believable science. It's the joke-a-minute comedy hour. If I have an issue with any particular character, it's with Mitchell, who they had an entire season to make me like, and failed to do so. I actually like the direction they seem to be taking with Vala, but it's everything else combined that takes away my hope.

That said, I agree with you in that it's absolutely an issue with perspective on the show. If you go to the Camelot thread, you'll see lots of happy fans praising the CGI effects, the space battles, and the spaceships. Personally, I believe those are the fans TPTB are courting. And they love this season. Some of the people who hang out on this thread are perfectly happy with this season. There's nothing wrong with that (or them), it's just a different perspective from mine.

Unfortunately for me, the formula that works for the people who love this season is not a formula that works very well for me. But I'm not the audience they care about. They've done exactly what they wanted to do this year. They've drawn in new fans, and they've kept the ratings afloat with RDA gone. My perspective on the show (that season 9 was a flop for a variety of reasons) matters nothing to them. They have their happy new fans, and kept a bunch of happy long-time fans, as well. So why should I hope they'll change the direction from where they've gone this year? Why would they want to change? I don't think the ratings have dropped significantly enough for them to be concerned, and since I'll bet they bounced back up for Crusade and Camelot, I'm not sure they ever will.

By the way, Lys, I'm not trying to shoot down your hopes (with a howitzer, pellet gun, slingshot, or anything else). I envy you your optimism. I'm just trying to explain (justify?) my grim lack of anything even remotely resembling hope at this point.
                              Wow Strix - great post. (It's evening so now I can go back and read and "green" and respond at my leisure to everyone's posts!) (dusting/cleaning/housework be damned!!!)

Especially the first paragraph. You've hit on a lot of my concerns with S9. I found some things I liked, but it seemed like so many near misses and missed opportunities to explore other things. And to stomach the major changes to the show, I hoped there'd be more of Sam, more of Tea'lc, more of Daniel, and more substantial development overall, not just one powerful acting scene per every fifth show per original character...

Here's to hoping some of the SG magic returns in S10 and that they finally let Sam shine after a decade of personal and professional growth.
                              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                                I know I trust and respect more those who are actually walking the walk versus just talking the talk.
                                I wonder if this is a reflection of the world at large (or at least the media at large)? Images and sound bites disconnected from reality are foisted on us 24/7/365... we're taught women need to be bone thin to be beautiful and normal in this society, that to 'win' is to see the 'opponent' suffer, that using/abusing/disrespecting others is okay and even encouraged? We're repeatedly given examples of cheaters/liars/bad guys conquering all.... this is what Westerners (and anyone interesting in our culture and icons) are fed a diet of daily and we're being promoted as.... Is it little wonder then many of us found refuge in SG and a female character - Sam-- who was the antithesis of all that we're bombarded with elsewhere?

I mean the sexualizing of toddlers and young children... in the past century in the West we developed a culture of a long childhood so children could enjoy more innocent years than in the past where few got to enjoy the luxury of school and most worked or married/had children young, and the harsh realities of life impacted children darn early. And now here we're slowly eroding the gift they were given by bombarding them with messages that aren't great and certainly are mixed.
                                Wow very powerful ShimmeringStar, I applaud you
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X