Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Ask anyone who's listened to me whine incessantly lately. The two reasons I'm sticking this out are Amanda "Isn't she lovely" Tapping and Brad "He just might be able to resurrect the show" Wright.
    Is it true, then? Is Brad Wright definitely returning to SG-1? Hurrah! He writes the characters better than anyone! That should be a big help!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Oh and another fic rec Folsom Prison Blues by Eve11. It's a gen team fic, with SG1 trapped in a prison and some really good banter between them
      great fic!

everyone in character and everyone had something to do.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        I just watched the Scourge again, and it didn't bother me as much as some of you that Sam wasn't the one going to the F-302's. The sequence of events was that the airman went missing and Cam, Teal'c and Daniel went looking for him, with Sam staying behind to protect the civilians. IMO, Woolsey would have complained if Daniel had been the one to stay behind, as he would have insisted that a military person be there. Plus, I think there's a kind of mutual respect between Sam and Woolsey, even though they may disagree a lot of the time. He realizes how good she is at her job, and she realizes that he's got good intentions most of the time.

Anyway, the idea of going for the planes didn't come up until after Cam, Daniel and Teal'c found the airman. It made sense for the 2 pilots to continue on, since they were presumably already part of the way to wherever the planes were located. They sent Daniel back to tell Sam what was going on, and it wouldn't make sense for Sam to then go on her own to meet up with them. That's the way I saw it, in any case.

NC
        I'll tell you one thing I loved about The Scourge - the way Sam almost opened a great big can of (@*#&$ on that uppity delegate in the cave: "Because. You are alerting the bugs to our location." - That was PRICELESS. We could do a fill in the lines with that statement alone. What was Sam really saying?!

MG

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          the shipper thread was almost destroyed by off topic.

just some food for thought.

concerning current season eps --

what was my fave scene in 'off the grid'?
          Spoiler:
          when mitchell called her mary poppins and sam said 'yeah!', with that 'you butthead' look on her face.

my fave scene in 'the scourge'?
          Spoiler:
          when sam had her 'talk' with woolsey while they were in the cave.

sally

Another fave of mine in Stronghold--
          Spoiler:
          commanding the troops in the gateroom. Darn--Sam should be doing this all the time.

The scourge --
          Spoiler:
          in one of the last scenes where Sam joins the team to hold off the bugs, and she steps out in front. Dang, she is really leading this team, whether TPTB want to believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
            I had a thought this morning when I woke up. Yes, I know it's a dangerous thing.

I know we've talked about writing welcome back letters to Amanda, the cheer her on for Season 10, and mine will be off in the mail today.

But what about writing letters to TPTB? To remind them that Sam/AT has a big fanbase, and remind them of all the things we love about Sam.

These letters should not be complaining, or negative in any way. They should be focused strictly on why we love Sam. We could polietly ask for what we'd like to see from Sam in Season 10, but the tone of the letters should be positive.

I've been involved in something like this before, and as far as I could tell, the results were fantabulous. I was involved in an online fandom of a character from another show, and at the time the complaints were very similar to what we've been saying about how AT/Sam has been underused. The season after we did our letter-writing campaign this character had some of the best episodes of the season, finally got backstory that we'd been asking for, and had some of the most beautiful work in the season.

Now I know it probably wasn't all us. But I wouldn't be afraid to wager that they had some impact on the show's, in our opinion, less than stellar showrunner. And hey, I got a letter back and a nifty hat to go with it.

What do you all think?

Great idea. I've sent my note to Amanda, but I think this is a good idea too. I'll send a letter off to, who do you guys think? -- Brad Wright and RCC at Bridge Studios? I doubt it will do any good, but I will do it anyway. (Remember the Blue Jello letter-writing!!) I really think this whole leadership issue is ruining the show, at least for me and friends of mine. It is just an insult to Sam that she is not leading. I'll try to be polite though! I promise.

Comment

I didn't actually
              Spoiler:
              have a problem with that either. I think Sam leant a command presence to the cave, which was clearly required. Also the scene with Woolsey... hell yeah... you know one thing that I noticed in this ep and have been noticing of late... is Amanda doing something different with Sam's voice, or is that me? I've decided that Sam/Amanda is actually leading this team quietly from the back... whether the big boys like it or not. She didn't have to say a word in the 2 min tease of the ep (wonder if they couldn't afford Sam words after the vfx blew the budget), but still stole the scene!

Also with splitting the thread... not something I'd support.. I always have to weigh in on these things The key to steering the conversation is to pose interesting topics people will post on... splitting the thread up in Samanda will do more harm than good I would expect. I'd rather show Amanda united fan base than a framented one.

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              I just watched the Scourge again, and it didn't bother me as much as some of you that Sam wasn't the one going to the F-302's. The sequence of events was that the airman went missing and Cam, Teal'c and Daniel went looking for him, with Sam staying behind to protect the civilians. IMO, Woolsey would have complained if Daniel had been the one to stay behind, as he would have insisted that a military person be there. Plus, I think there's a kind of mutual respect between Sam and Woolsey, even though they may disagree a lot of the time. He realizes how good she is at her job, and she realizes that he's got good intentions most of the time.

Anyway, the idea of going for the planes didn't come up until after Cam, Daniel and Teal'c found the airman. It made sense for the 2 pilots to continue on, since they were presumably already part of the way to wherever the planes were located. They sent Daniel back to tell Sam what was going on, and it wouldn't make sense for Sam to then go on her own to meet up with them. That's the way I saw it, in any case.

NC
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Lys and Myrth, thank you so much for getting us back on track. I am about to step up on my trusty soapbox, it's a bit rickety but what the heck ...

I have noticed that we are having the tendency lately to go OT much more than the usual ... Now OTs are certainly normal when on a busy thread like this, to be expected from all of us as we get a related idea or want to share something newsworthy, personal or funny with our fellow Samandans. However, after a point, when they reach critical mass, it gets a bit frustrating trying to find the real content.

Here it comes, the royal whine: in the days of yore (Samanda's early history), there was more due diligence to staying on task. We would wander a bit and LOL and then steer back into Samanda waters.

I guess what I'm saying is that, when a fellow Samandan wants to know more in depth about an OT remark, can that be taken up by a PM or rep or email to the person who peaked your interest?! By this little courtesy, we are freeing up the thread space to the important Sam moments and discussions that may be going on and, thus, making it so much more convenient for our regulars and guests and lurkers to follow a train of thought and stay on topic.

Does this make sense? Or am I coming across as the Terminator?! (Go away, Jester, and let me play in my sandbox!) Yes, it may be my age - I grew up without instant communication and PCs and cell phones. And I still tremble when I'm in public and am forced to listen to someone's very private conversations within a couple feet of my own space.

I love this thread, it is, in fact, the only part of the forum that I live in. And I love all you guys. I just think there is a common courtesy that we should all be mindful of in "open space" even if it's "cyberspace". And that is, what is the purpose of my communication? Does it need to be said "out loud" or can I better say this in private to the one or two other posters who are interested?

Okay, this is an OT post on the subject of OT posts. So I've already violated my own request, eh?! And I certainly do not want any one of you to take this personally as this is a common behavior that everyone engages in. No guilt trips intended, just enlightenment ... think of me as Oma this morning. Or, if you think I'm really preaching too hard, than banish me to the realm of the Priors.

Respectully, Jester Whose mind wanders as much as any other Samandan. Good Lord, just ask Coley or Strix or 1speed about that one!! Psst, it's probably better to PM them if you wish.
                I think ChopinGal makes some excellent points. This thread is comprised of some of the nicest people in fandom, but it has suffered lately from a lot of off-topic chatter. Although everyone has been reticent to say anything about it, I know a couple of "elders" don't play here much anymore because of it. In my case, I've had too many work demands to be anywhere online for awhile, so I'm certainly not speaking of myself. But when I have checked in, I've missed some of what made this thread special. I don't know any other way to put it.

I would like to second the idea of keeping the off-topic chatter to a minimum. And, I salute Lys for her lovely salute to AT & 10 years of Sam Carter! Hic comitas regit.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  I didn't actually have a problem with that either. I think Sam leant a command presence to the cave, which was clearly required. Also the scene with Woolsey... hell yeah... you know one thing that I noticed in this ep and have been noticing of late... is Amanda doing something different with Sam's voice, or is that me?

Also with splitting the thread... not something I'd support.. I always have to weigh in on these things The key to steering the conversation is to pose interesting topics people will post on... splitting the thread up in Samanda will do more harm than good I would expect. I'd rather show Amanda united fan base than a framented one.

Well said, Myrth!

Hey, by the way hun, I really love your sig. I haven't had any time to play with my own designs lately, and I'm in dire need of a new Samanda sig, too. Think, if you have some time to play around, ya might want to make something fun and sassy pour moi aussi? No pressure or anything, just wondering. Next time you get to playing!

Hugs,
                  m_geek

Comment

I got the impression she was actually visualising the butt of her gun smashing his nose... lol

Originally posted by minigeek
                    I'll tell you one thing I loved about The Scourge - the way Sam almost opened a great big can of (@*#&$ on that uppity delegate in the cave: "Because. You are alerting the bugs to our location." - That was PRICELESS. We could do a fill in the lines with that statement alone. What was Sam really saying?!

MG
                    sigpic

Comment

Well if anyone here needs me, I'll be in the Blue Jello Corner since I tend to be more off topic than on All Sam All the time. I'll still be lurking here...but with me mostly sticking to Blue Jello, the off topic chatter will cut down a bit.

Sorry for those I've offended with my off topic chatter!
                      sigpic
                      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

No worries sweetie... I figure I owe you for expounding on so many of my points with such elegance, allowing me to be a complete lazy ass

I'll whip somethin up asap.

Originally posted by minigeek
                        Well said, Myrth!

Hey, by the way hun, I really love your sig. I haven't had any time to play with my own designs lately, and I'm in dire need of a new Samanda sig, too. Think, if you have some time to play around, ya might want to make something fun and sassy pour moi aussi? No pressure or anything, just wondering. Next time you get to playing!

Hugs,
                        m_geek
                        sigpic

Comment

You know, something interesting I realized today in conversing over at the "Who Should Lead SG-1" thread... it really has been Carter who's ended up taking the lead on the large-scale tactical assault type scenarios this season. She's briefed the troops before heading out, she's been coordinating and strategizing. She's been the one to come up with the "answer" a lot of the time as well, but in general, her character has really been doing some leading this year, despite the ongoing issues I know are still present. More so as the episodes go by, and you know what? I think that's why they've been growing slightly better as well. It's almost as though there's an unspoken understanding there now, that Sam knows what to do, and Cameron (in between bouts of wanderlust and great guns blazing) does defer to her experience and expertise.

With Brad coming back next season, I'm hoping we see these small seeds germinate into something much more profound. It's a hope I'm going to cling to, I think!

Comment

No worries sweetie... I figure I owe you for expounding on so many of my points with such elegance, allowing me to be a complete lazy ass
                            Whoa. Hey, elegance? I think you've got the wrong geek!

I'll whip somethin up asap.
                            No hurries. Very cool though ... thank you!

Comment

you know one thing that I noticed in this ep and have been noticing of late... is Amanda doing something different with Sam's voice, or is that me?
                              I attributed that to AT keeping the premise of the ep firmly in mind: That is, she pitched her voice low pretty much throughout the ep once they'd realised the bugs could follow them.
                              I've decided that Sam/Amanda is actually leading this team quietly from the back... whether the big boys like it or not.
                              Yup. In an email to a friend I called this "leading subversively". I'm wondering how much of that is AT and how much of it is conscious on the part of the writers.

Comment

I got the impression she was actually visualising the butt of her gun smashing his nose... lol
                                I was envisioning that as well, but she was saying "You stupid bleepin' moron!!!"
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X