• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((((((sally))))))
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

See I knew you'd remembeer

They get a mixed reaction, those of a more conservative bend should probably be forewarned

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Hahahaha, are they the 'SG1/SVU' crossover ones?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
        See I knew you'd remembeer

They get a mixed reaction, those of a more conservative bend should probably be forewarned
        Wow... I love seeing my two fave actresses in one manip as much as the next gal, but wow...

Just... wow...

What happened to chicks with guns and the men who love them?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          Wow... I love seeing my two fave actresses in one manip as much as the next gal, but wow...

Just... wow...

What happened to chicks with guns and the men who love them?!?!?!?
          rofl, I think Spazzy likes

Comment

I haven't posted in a very long time (although I visit every day), but I just had to say this after having read AT's Gateworld interview:
            The woman is simply amazing! She stole my heart the first time I watched her as Sam Carter and she continues to do so til this day. I never was a fangirl before, but she has made me one. Thank God for people like AT in this world!

Comment

Originally posted by Elfinwood
              I haven't posted in a very long time (although I visit every day), but I just had to say this after having read AT's Gateworld interview:
              The woman is simply amazing! She stole my heart the first time I watched her as Sam Carter and she continues to do so til this day. I never was a fangirl before, but she has made me one. Thank God for people like AT in this world!
              yeah. isn't she great!!
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Besides, there are several anti this and that threads (and believe me I've vented over there when needed)...let's keep Samanda a bit more positive.

What say ye???
                I say, that while I agree with you in principle, by asking to keep the thread positive, you are indirectly asking many people not to post. Several folks on the list have indicated that they aren't feeling positive about things, and I doubt that all of them are suddenly going to feel the love of all things season 9...

I agree 100% that we should avoid the use of inflammatory language at all times, but asking to keep everything upbeat and positive? Remember that dead spot where people had to keep "bumping" the thread to keep it on the first page? I'm afraid that's what will happen again. But, I'm just a cranky cynic, so who knows...

My LJ

Comment

Hey Strix, I think what Uber was saying wasn't to quell any negative thoughts. It just boils down to this.

Be critical, but be not hateful.

Expressing criticism (regarding characters, season nine, season forty, or whatever else) can be done in such a way that people's feelings aren't trodden upon. There's always a few ways to say "I don't like X". At least one of them is derrogatory and would probably end up hurting someone's feelings. At lease one of them is probably more thoughtful and considerate of other's feelings.

That's all Uber was trying to say.

I think folks here are already doing that 99.9% of the time anyway. So not much change, really. That's why we have a thriving community of shippers, non-shippers, Vala fans, Daniel fans, Jonas fans, etc etc. We all respect eachother's POV, even when we disagree. We can disagree with respect.

'Cuz that's what SAmanda's all about.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    I'm sorry if folks don't feel welcome here. If it's been something i've said, let me know and i'll try to be better.

we try to be positive here, sometimes we do better than other times.

everyone needs to vent and rant...and sometimes to be cheered up

I think we can take solace in one thing, no matter how ickily amanda MIGHT be being treated, she's got the class to deal with it with style. That's the mark of a true professional
                    Sky. Don't take things personally. If you have said something, it's just cos you're doing your job. You are amazing, and really supportive. Please stop feeling guilty!!!

Big hugs and lots of love, because that's what being a Samandan is about xxx
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I, like others here, read the AT interview and cried when I saw that she got upset about comments made about Sam. I myself, in the past few weeks have been complaining about how the character has been written recently, although it was meant to be aimed at the writers, not my beautiful Amanda.

I know Sky is our resident morale booster and task giver, but as Royal Bartender, I'm going to introduce a weekly task, to wrok on as you sup on your rum and coke.

This week, because I'm so moved and upset by what I read, I want each of you to tell us one moment where AT in her role as Sam (and I mean in character, not in her private life) has changed your life or influenced you for the better.

I know most of us have covered this before, but I think with so much going on, now's the perfect time to consider it. I've got some serious thinking to do, and I'll come back to you once I've written mine.

Let's forget all this bickering and backstabbing and arguing over character preference, because this is not what being a Samandan is about. Let's unite over the things that we have in common.

On that note, I'll relinquish my soapbox, and open the task.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane

This week, because I'm so moved and upset by what I read, I want each of you to tell us one moment where AT in her role as Sam (and I mean in character, not in her private life) has changed your life or influenced you for the better.

well, let's see, for better or worse i think that i whine less. ok, yeah, anyone reading my posts wouldn't think so, but with my family i don't come home from work, whining and *****ing about every little thing that went wrong.

doesn't accomplish much other than keeping things more on an even keel, but now there can be other things to talk about other than me witching on what someone said or someone did
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                          I say, that while I agree with you in principle, by asking to keep the thread positive, you are indirectly asking many people not to post. Several folks on the list have indicated that they aren't feeling positive about things, and I doubt that all of them are suddenly going to feel the love of all things season 9...

I agree 100% that we should avoid the use of inflammatory language at all times, but asking to keep everything upbeat and positive? Remember that dead spot where people had to keep "bumping" the thread to keep it on the first page? I'm afraid that's what will happen again. But, I'm just a cranky cynic, so who knows...
                          Message Content Warning:

The following post may not be suitable for all viewers. It contains negativity, is less than laudatory (in outlook and content), and may not conform to all viewers’ standards of optimism, orthodoxy, moral charity, mental hygiene, acceptable sarcasm, personal edification and/or inspiration, and perceptible placing of all others’ feelings, perceptions, preference and reactions above one’s own,. Viewers who do not wish to read any of the above, or who may experience any related or derived perceptions are strongly cautioned.

Message Composer Warning:

The following post was composed by a person who is suffering sinus and ear infections, resulting in fatigue, pain, stress, loss of equilibrium, nausea, and loss of time at work. It is being typed on a laptop by that same person who must exercise extreme caution with regards to moving their head. Viewers who do not wish to read anything resulting from, or related to, the above, are cautioned.

Message Body:

Dear Samanda and all Samandans

Please forgive me for bringing this message forth upon this thread, the message being not only less than uniformly positive, the composer of same being less than uniformly benign, and the entire message being but a concurrence to that of Strix above.

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Meaning absolutely no offense to anyone, because I do understand that people want a positive, upbeat, happy, uplifting, welcoming, amicable and comfortable atmosphere in the thread, I am going to say this as delicately as I may and still hope to convey meaning.

When I said…

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                          I get this 'if you aren't entirely positive, Simha, you aren't exactly welcome, no matter how you phrase what you say' feeling these days in lots of threads on Gateworld, so, if it's not a fluff post, I really don't have much I feel I can say.
                          …I bore an image in mind of how I had felt that I dared say nothing that might be construed as negative about any part of the Stargate production continuum (from the pre-gleam of a idea sparking someone’s eye to the sound and picture quality displayed by the local cable companies and network affiliates televising the finished products) by any possible viewer of any possible message, lest that negatiivty be perceived as hostility, and hostility be construed as bashing, regardless of intent, and my negativity thereby call the malign attention of any mod to the offense of bashing on the thread of Samanda. Since Samanda is the place in which I primarily post on Gateworld, I hope it may be understood that I do not wish it any harm of any sort.

Alas, since I cannot read the minds of any possible viewers/readers of what I may post before I post it, nor predict the reactions of everyone that may ever read my words, I must also deal with the possibility that anything and everything I write may present an impression of some form of negativity to someone at some time. Negativity of any ilk, can be all too readily perceived as hostility, or, indeed, bashing, regardless of the writer’s intent, in my experience, by those reading messages written by other people, as the majority of messages posted on Gateworld are. (No one seems to post enough for a majority of messages on Gateworld to be theirs.)

Not only must real live people of every variety, kind and ilk be protected from negativity, as well they should be, especially when that negativity descends to bashing, but the preferences, efforts and output of their minds, bodies, and hands must be protected in the same way and to the same degree from all negativity, as those preferences, efforts and output are too closely connected to the real live human beings for one to bear any certainty that negativity about the preferences, efforts and output will not be perceived as hostility regarding the real live persons. And, of course, negativity toward the real live persons preferences, efforts and output can be readily translated into negativity toward the real live persons, which is readily translated to hostility, which is readily translated to bashing, which is readily translated to dismay from a mod. And, alas, the original thought of the person who composed the message may not have intended so much as negativity, but, the intentions of the composer must obviously yield precedence and importance to the perceptions of the reader of the message, and, so anything that might be perceived as hostile by a reader ought to be suppressed before that reader can be faced with it.

Now, with the idea of the lack of a welcome and a place for any message that might be perceived as containing something that might be less than positive and hence hostile, if not bashing, confirmed, I add to it several more ideals regarding the analysis of the hypothetical reactions of others with specific regards to their personal preferences, known or not, to consider before I ought to send any message to the thread. I find it unfortunate that I do not add any corresponding ideals regarding the consideration of the personal dislikes of others, before posting, but, such a concern is a mere bagatel, and naught but an unworthy facet of my own negativity, I’m sure.

Forgive me, I beg, if my delicacy failed at the test, for, being the product of an imperfect human, it too is imperfect, and mayhap, it will not have perfectly satisfied its purpose.

If I have offended herein, I do apologize, deeply, and sincerely, and I do pray I may not do so again, though it take conferment to lurkerdom to insure I do not, as I also pray I have not ruined aught for anyone, as such was not my intent I do assure everyone who reads this message. I do understand the desire to have and inhabit a haven protected from the plague of negativity. Truly, I do.

And that’s where I came in, I fear, lacking something to say in general, and most especially with regards to seasons 9 and 10, as I lack the positivity with which to say it.

I leave you as a dutiful daughter to the wisdom of Thumper’s mama.

Simhavaktra
                          (Précis amicably made available upon request)
                          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

LOL, Simha.

But I think we all know no one was calling for the "negativity" police. Or trying to censor free speech. Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill, here guys, kay?

Heck, maybe we should all use Simha's post as an awesome example of how to post critical thoughts in a positive way! (Of course, not all of us are as eloquent or gifted with the pen as our Simha is... d'oh!)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              Hey Strix, I think what Uber was saying wasn't to quell any negative thoughts. It just boils down to this.

Be critical, but be not hateful.

Expressing criticism (regarding characters, season nine, season forty, or whatever else) can be done in such a way that people's feelings aren't trodden upon. There's always a few ways to say "I don't like X". At least one of them is derrogatory and would probably end up hurting someone's feelings. At lease one of them is probably more thoughtful and considerate of other's feelings.

That's all Uber was trying to say.

I think folks here are already doing that 99.9% of the time anyway. So not much change, really. That's why we have a thriving community of shippers, non-shippers, Vala fans, Daniel fans, Jonas fans, etc etc. We all respect eachother's POV, even when we disagree. We can disagree with respect.

'Cuz that's what SAmanda's all about.

mini
                              BINGO! The kewpie doll goes to the miniature geekster.

It's not about not having gripes...we all should continue to be free to express concerns and criticize constructively...it's about being sensitive and considerate to those who feel differently and choosing how to respond to those gripes in such a way as to honor her majesty.

Look...I've got lots of fear and trepidation regarding TBA and Samantha Carter and what the future holds for them. Anyone who knows me can tell you flat out that this is true.

Lots of stuff is up in the air...lots of unsurety...so how are we going to handle it? Because if we devolve a la the rabid Danny Ranters who see Sam as a threat to his presence and view Vala or Mitchell or Schrödinger with that same severe stance and drive people away who enjoy those characters, then we truly have lost our purpose and that certain something that makes Samanda special.

Hey, we all love Amanda and we all love Sam and think she's a great character otherwise we wouldn't be posting in the...drumroll please...Sam's a Great Character thread. And sure it's tough during the break time not having new things to talk about. So let's simply make that extra effort to keep Samanda that shining beacon in fandom.

Let's do right by her philosophy of graciousness and make Amanda proud.

BTW...I'm a bit torn up that no one commented on my Love Boat caption...

*whimper*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

Sam thinking: They think I'm cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X