Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    sooooooooooo, have we broca'd the episode to death??? is it time to move onto the next one?
    ETA: First Commandment I think it is.
    Oooh First Commandment...Fiirst time Sam showed insubordination with her "No siir."
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Heh. I had some cats named Turtle and Gazelle. One of them used to hang out under an old turtle shell we have in our living room (food during a natural disaster in the islands, not poached for shell). I was wondering what to name the other one when I saw them playing and he was bouncing sideways across the room. Gazelle fit.

I had to give them up when they were 6 months old, when their owners were settled into their new house and ready for them. They changed their names.
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

first time she punched someone. 'well, that was refreshing'
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          It normally is for the majority of the time, it's usually been a place where we respect each other, and each other's opinions. As a Polar Bear I've had many fun times joking around with my Penguin buddies on this thread. As long as we remember to RESPECT each other's opinions we should all be fine

Yes sometimes an odd post or two here or there may set things off, but try not to blame the whole thread for it
          oh definately, my comment was a positive one about the thread and how its such a positive place to chat...
          "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            A highly contested spot with the resident Canadians

*waits for Mandy to chime in*
            And the odd American here and there

Comment

First Commandment....hmmmmm. I somehow missed this one when it orginally aired and was surprised to see it on the DVDs when I got the box set. It is a pretty intense episode in many ways and I never really got the usual feel-good buzz at the end like with most SG1 stories. But I still liked it. I thought the fiance' thing was always a little convenient though.

I thought the best part was at then end when Sam was upset about not killing Jonas and Jack told her to never feel bad about not killing someone (paraphrasing). One of the first of many very astute comments from Jack developing a junior officer. Sam always seemed to learn well from his lessons the first time.

The funniest line was Jack's comment about the electronic perimeter stopping all of the invading rocks that might happen by . First time we get to see Sam and the sleeping arrangements. I never could tell though if everybody had their own tent or there was some type of sharing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
                id love to see AT and TR at a joint panel do their Turleen and Millie bit, that would be classic!
                I remember watching a Youtube video a while ago where AT and TR were on stage together at a con where they talked that, as well as the Turtle and Gazelle stuff and the Puff and Ruffle. Don't remember which con, but they were sitting in front of a mini-gate and AT was wearing a red shirt and TR a dark purple dress. And there was a very cute bit at the end where AT's husband came up to the stage to wish her happy anniversary, since the con was on her anniversary weekend, I believe.

AT and TR also talk about it a bit on this video, it looks like it's a behind the scenes video from one of the DVD: http://www.youtube.com/user/Stargate.../7/g6PA3CJ-Qzs (it's around the 3:40 mark)

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                sooooooooooo, have we broca'd the episode to death??? is it time to move onto the next one?
                ETA: First Commandment I think it is.
                I don't really care all that much for this episode, like parts of Emancipation the storyline with Jonas just seemed rather clunky to me. It is still watchable for some of the character moments, like Daniel and Sam laughing about the MREs tasting like chicken, or Teal'c's comment that they wouldn't have been able to stop Sam from going to punch that guy. And Jack's 'off to see the wizard' and 'to Oz' were his first Wizard of Oz references, I think.

I do really like Sam wasn't able to pull the trigger on Hanson so easily, as well as the scene at the end with Jack and Sam talking about that and touching on what it means to kill a person. Nice moment between the experienced soldier and the still rather green one, and one of the experiences that I think helped form the foundation of Sam and Jack's friendship.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                  First Commandment....hmmmmm. I somehow missed this one when it orginally aired and was surprised to see it on the DVDs when I got the box set. It is a pretty intense episode in many ways and I never really got the usual feel-good buzz at the end like with most SG1 stories. But I still liked it. I thought the fiance' thing was always a little convenient though.

I thought the best part was at then end when Sam was upset about not killing Jonas and Jack told her to never feel bad about not killing someone (paraphrasing). One of the first of many very astute comments from Jack developing a junior officer. Sam always seemed to learn well from his lessons the first time.

The funniest line was Jack's comment about the electronic perimeter stopping all of the invading rocks that might happen by . First time we get to see Sam and the sleeping arrangements. I never could tell though if everybody had their own tent or there was some type of sharing going on.
                  First Commandment

I really, really liked that part. I thought Jack's remark was exceptionally wise - a perfect piece of advice from a hardened officer.

I also enjoyed seeing the quiet, otherwise banal, moment with the team at their camp. It was mostly exposition, but it was nice to see the team interacting in a non-(immediately-)urgent situation... i.e. Daniel's remark about the mac & cheese.

Now, as to Sam specifically, it was very interesting to see how personally she took the situation. Or, perhaps that's not quite the right word, but she certainly felt a greater onus in this mission because of her connection to Hanson. We learn a lot about Sam. "Healer of the emotionally wounded" - this line gives us a great deal of insight into how Sam ticks. At this point, we already know that Sam has a strong desire to help others, whether through her science or her military ability, but now we learn that Sam has a similar motivation in her emotional relationships as well. This hasn't changed in her, either, despite being 'burned' as it were - she still thinks Hanson "need[s] help." As to the gun scene, I agree with Jack; while Jack didn't say it in as many words, Sam is a person with her feet firmly on the moral high-road, and she could not bring herself to kill in cold blood - there is no shame in that. If she had, that would have lowered her down closer to Hanson's level. Actually, I think Jack says something like that...... *goes to check*.... yup: "No matter what the reason, every time you break it [i.e. kill someone], you take one step closer to Hanson."

Oh, other than that, I *loved* Sam's "Well, that was refreshing" line!

As for the episode as a whole, it's not one of my favourites... but it had it's moments! At episode six, though, the show was in its infancy, so it was still finding its footing.
                  Last edited by _SocraticMethod; 11 April 2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                    I remember watching a Youtube video a while ago where AT and TR were on stage together at a con where they talked that, as well as the Turtle and Gazelle stuff and the Puff and Ruffle. Don't remember which con, but they were sitting in front of a mini-gate and AT was wearing a red shirt and TR a dark purple dress. And there was a very cute bit at the end where AT's husband came up to the stage to wish her happy anniversary, since the con was on her anniversary weekend, I believe.

AT and TR also talk about it a bit on this video, it looks like it's a behind the scenes video from one of the DVD: http://www.youtube.com/user/Stargate.../7/g6PA3CJ-Qzs (it's around the 3:40 mark)
                    thanks for the recap, sounds like it would have been a very fun panel to have been at AT and TR are on my top three love to see pair panels...

and that is very sweet of alan coming on stage and wishing amanda a happy anniversary, awwies...

oh, cheers for the link!

as for first commandment, i havent seen alot of s1 eps in a while, so dont really recall this one... but thanks to everyone so far for the interesting insight into the episode
                    "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

OT
                      Spoiler:
                      Just realized I got a promotion! YAY FOR ME!!!

*sneaks out before anyone notices*
                      sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                      Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                      GateCon Vancouver 2011
                      Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MylittleEli View Post
                        OT
                        Spoiler:
                        Just realized I got a promotion! YAY FOR ME!!!

*sneaks out before anyone notices*
                        congrats on the promotion!

Comment

congrats on the promotion!
                          Thank you muchly!!!
                          sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                          Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                          GateCon Vancouver 2011
                          Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

I don't really care all that much for this episode, like parts of Emancipation the storyline with Jonas just seemed rather clunky to me. It is still watchable for some of the character moments, like Daniel and Sam laughing about the MREs tasting like chicken, or Teal'c's comment that they wouldn't have been able to stop Sam from going to punch that guy. And Jack's 'off to see the wizard' and 'to Oz' were his first Wizard of Oz references, I think.

I do really like Sam wasn't able to pull the trigger on Hanson so easily, as well as the scene at the end with Jack and Sam talking about that and touching on what it means to kill a person. Nice moment between the experienced soldier and the still rather green one, and one of the experiences that I think helped form the foundation of Sam and Jack's friendship.
                            /
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

My thoughts on First Commandment - nice episode.
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

to read that sam 'is making an idiot out of herself over her commanding officer' is not only a reflection on the character, but in my mind on those who enjoy the ship (unintentional though it may be)... i respect that not everyone will follow the ship, and that some will see ship as detrimental to the characters, but choice of words makes a big difference when putting a pov across...
                                I was insulting a character on a TV show, no reflection on any real person at all.

I suppose I could have insulted a real person, such as jkfan55 instead? Because this post was just so respectful to jkfan55's point of view, a shining example of mature and tolerant of other peoples opinions and no one seems to have any problems with it. But insult a non existent character? That's really bad.

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                                HA i suppose there are those like you who dont ship sam/jack. YOU SOULESS INHUMANE BEINGS
                                FF
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X