No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they won't reject you here based on sexual orientationi, they just ask if you've traded sex for drugs or slept with anyone that's traded sex for drugs.

there are some meds you can be on or have taken that will eliminate you from eligibility.

as to the iron, they've never asked me if i take pills and i've even said to the screener 'those vitamins work' so they don't seem to care.

it's interesting to see how different countries treat blood donations. A question on the questionaire is 'have you gotten a blood transfusion in the UK' and i wonder if i ever have one if that will make me ineligible. (they're paranoid about mad cow)
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
      Grace is one my favorites as well, we got insight into Sam as well as the team aspect of their concern for her and Sam's hallucinations of her teammates. I esp liked that in Sam's head Teal'c calls her Samantha, as well as Grace saying that Sam's explanation of the hyperdrive bubble was cool.
      and then Sam's reaction, which was like "yeah, it *is* cool.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
        lol
        The plot for Heroes was one of the reasons why I stopped watching the show mid season 7.
        I believe the story could have worked with *any* character, even a redshirt but no, they had to go and
        [

To each their own.

I didn't watch SG1 for plot points or character development or to disect ratings or renewals for another season or how many male or female characters there were. I watched it for the story about a group of people in extraordinary circumstances. Stuff happens to people and you have to react to that stuff in real life. I found the story and the subsequent reactions similar to what I've seen in real life and a very realistic portrayal. That's why the episode is so special to me and my friends.

I understand that others watch for different reasons and don't like the same things I do or relate to episodes in the same way. I personally do not like Urgo, but I know a lot of people thought it was really funny and AT did a good job with her role.

Like I said. To each their own.
        Wow! What a way to misjudge what I wrote.
        Thanks for putting me into a corner of the fandom where I absolutely do not belong.

There are too few good roles for women on TV to not care whether one of many male characters gets written out of a show or whether it is one of two female characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Here's something for the newbies and the rest to if you like....Captionairy

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/119...ell15small.jpg

Sam: When SG1 plays hide and seek, we go all the way!
          Sam to hidden SG1 members: I don't think Mandy has seen us yet. We can pounce for a tackle hug.

love captionary, thanks Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
            Wow! What a way to misjudge what I wrote.
            Thanks for putting me into a corner of the fandom where I absolutely do not belong.

There are too few good roles for women on TV to not care whether one of many male characters gets written out of a show or whether it is one of two female characters.
            and such a good one. I guess they wanted maximum emotional impact on the team and us. i, for one, wouldn't have cried like did if they killed off Walter. I still don't think it was necessary to kill a major character on that show. But that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              they won't reject you here based on sexual orientationi, they just ask if you've traded sex for drugs or slept with anyone that's traded sex for drugs.

there are some meds you can be on or have taken that will eliminate you from eligibility.

as to the iron, they've never asked me if i take pills and i've even said to the screener 'those vitamins work' so they don't seem to care.

it's interesting to see how different countries treat blood donations. A question on the questionaire is 'have you gotten a blood transfusion in the UK' and i wonder if i ever have one if that will make me ineligible. (they're paranoid about mad cow)
              They don't reject on grounds of sexual orientation here...but they do reject if you're a man who has ever had sex with another man...which effectively discriminates against gay or bisexual men. They do it because some sexual practices are riskier than others, I get that, but it doesn't take into consideration safe sex, monogomy and the fact that not everyone does the same thing, hence why I think it is unfair. It smacks of a 'dirty diseased gays' attitude.
              sigpic
              Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I've fought the 'we want your blood....but here are this massive list of rules' quandry

FOr example, having to tell them that i've been to england because they ask if you've been outside of the US or Canada. and i'm like 'yeah, i've been to england, but it's an ok place, now can i PLEASE stop ticking this box cause it's annoying?'
                Shouldnt it only be a problem if you were out of the country for a short period? I know there are certain restrictions on countries of birth for blood donation, but how long total have you visited the UK? I think they give us 3-6 months total here.

I can only claim a little over 3 wks total now.

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                I'm going to accept Amanda's challenge in doing something that will scare the bejeezus outa me. I'm following her footsteps and gonna climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge next weekend with the hubby. What I really want to do is paragliding. Maybe I'll take hubby back to Bright in autumn and finally jump off that cliff! I really need that fear factor again. Last years trip to Europe/AT4 was scary but I've conquered that...I need more!
                Very cool!!

You should have a blast climbing the bridge and you must post a few pics here if your able. I think AT would love to know how she inspired you.

I've always been the daring type and trying new things has never been a problem. Outdoorsy stuff of any sort is always fun. I'd like to try bungy jumping on my trip to NZ. I've always wanted to and I've been told it's akin to flying which sounds awesome. Now if I can only convince a certain Kiwi to do it as well.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                I read somewhere that S4K has raised $4,000.00 to date for Haiti (on top of the $10,000.00 already donated). A reminder the Canadian government is matching all donations so your donation counts for twice as much.
                Wonderful news!

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                  They don't reject on grounds of sexual orientation here...but they do reject if you're a man who has ever had sex with another man...which effectively discriminates against gay or bisexual men. They do it because some sexual practices are riskier than others, I get that, but it doesn't take into consideration safe sex, monogomy and the fact that not everyone does the same thing, hence why I think it is unfair. It smacks of a 'dirty diseased gays' attitude.
                  they can dress it up however they want, but, at least in my opinion, they ARE discriminating against gay men. It would be like 'we will refuse blood from anyone with a breast cup size beyond an A', sure, TECHNICALLY there are women that will qualify, but, by and large, they've just said 'no girls allowed'

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  Shouldnt it only be a problem if you were out of the country for a short period? I know there are certain restrictions on countries of birth for blood donation, but how long total have you visited the UK? I think they give us 3-6 months total here.
                  the question is phrased 'in the past 3 years have you been outside the US or Canada

then there is another one that asks if you've spent more than 3 months in the UK.

I know what they're aiming at, did you go on vacay in the parts of the world where disease is a problem? ie malaria, etc, but the way it's phrased, it includes my trips to AT 3 and 4

sigpic

Comment

I'm A-. I donate 5 or 6 times a year. They'd been emailing me the last couple weeks, so when there was a blood drive across the street from work on Tuesday, me and a friend headed over. We were both turned away. He wasn't eligible to give until Wednesday and I wasn't eligible to give until Thursday. Seriously? Do you think taking it two days early is going to cause me to pass out? But apparently it's an FDA regulation.

I'm also on the National Marrow Registry. I've been tested through the second level of tests (I think there's four). If I match at level two with someone, they're run the level three test and put those results on file.

I'm an organ donor too. Though not sure if any of mine will be worth using when I'm done with them.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

yeah, that day restriction gets me.

basically, for a healthy human, we can replace the blood cells lost within a week, so how come we can't donate every month or so? for us it's 60 days, 120 if you use the machine that pulls the double cells out (pulls out the red blood cells, leaves the plasma, usually only men and larger women qualify for that since it has higher weight and height restrictions, i'm too short)

I do understand the need to protect the blood supply and to insure that donors don't overdonate or harm themselves, but sometimes the restrictions seem to run counter intuitive to 'we're always short of blood'

ok, loosen things up a bit and you'll have more donors, surely there's a compromise in there somewhere

sigpic

Comment

the question is phrased 'in the past 3 years have you been outside the US or Canada

then there is another one that asks if you've spent more than 3 months in the UK.

I know what they're aiming at, did you go on vacay in the parts of the world where disease is a problem? ie malaria, etc, but the way it's phrased, it includes my trips to AT 3 and 4
                        Hmm, I had to google the American Red Cross restrictions guide as I was sure it was a total time spent there. I mean, after AT3 I gave blood and had to check the box that I was in England, but when they asked how long, they just passed it off. I assumed it wasn't long enough as it was only a short trip and assumed they were focusing only on those who actually lived in the country for a period of time. Understandable given the differing diseases.

http://www.adamscountyredcross.com/d...uirements.aspx

Possible indefinite deferral for donors who have lived in or visited the United Kingdom or Europe for a total time of 3-6 months since January 1, 1980, depending on exactly where the donor traveled and how long he or she was there.

Comment

they can dress it up however they want, but, at least in my opinion, they ARE discriminating against gay men. It would be like 'we will refuse blood from anyone with a breast cup size beyond an A', sure, TECHNICALLY there are women that will qualify, but, by and large, they've just said 'no girls allowed'
                          Exactly
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Not wanting to throw a wrench in the works here as I am all for Gay Rights, but aren't the risk factors for disease higher for homosexual and bisexual men as opposed to women? If I'm wrong, please correct me. For this reason, I can understand why health organizations might have certain restrictions.

Comment

Not wanting to throw a wrench in the works here as I am all for Gay Rights, but aren't the risk factors for disease higher for homosexual and bisexual men as opposed to women? If I'm wrong, please correct me. For this reason, I can understand why health organizations might have certain restrictions.
                              It used to be the case yes...20 or so years ago. But now a days it is outdated!!

To be honest straight people have equally as much change these days to get STD. As do women and men. It's all about the person and if she/he is carefull...so nope it has nothing to do with homosexuality or bisexuality.

To be honest for me that is narrow-mindness a bit...But then I have seen a lot of narrow-mindness, yes even here in Belgium, where you would think it's all good.

I guess all is good in theory with equal rights and all that but when it comes down to it...it sometimes lacks a bit. It probably needs a few more years to have it all worked out

Comment

It is because man are considered to be less faithful and therefore the number of sexual contacts is higher, so diseases spread faster. And that's why it's discrimination. We can't presume that every is men unfaithful, IMO.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X