No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of who's in charge has really been baking my noodle as well. One thing I'm not ever a big fan of is when a storyline 'washes over' a problematic plot element because it's either too difficult (or in some cases impossible) to explain with logic.

The fact that Carter has more experience, more background and greater field-work under her belt vis-a-vis the Stargate program than Mitchell does (not to mention the fact that SG-1 was 'her team' last season), makes it difficult for me to swallow that she'd suddenly be under his command.

It doesn't make sense from a military point of view either, to place a resource like Sam Carter under a novice's command. When Landry gave Mitchell the go-ahead to "pick his own team", there's no way he meant he could do that from officers currently above his station and/or experience level. Nor would those sorts of human resources be allocated that way (by the General).

Sam Carter is a significant command resource at present. The way things are at the moment, it really doesn't make sense. I'm trying not to let it bother my sensibilities as I watch each episode, but I can't help thinking about it. I do hope they'll find a logical way to resolve the notion, soon...

M.G.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

chocdoc - with regards to JM's post on my question and Carter in S9 - again not really a reply to my question just more rhetoric. I have been mulling over what can possibly be going on with Carter since the spoilers, TPTB themselves and the pictures released thus far are still woefully inadequate when it comes to Carter's role in any substantive way, coupled with earlier things some of TPTB have said such as all parties will be happy with what they do with the Carter/Mitchell thing and that Carter fans will be happy, etc. We have not heard much on Carter so it stands to reason that they may be, for some reason, keeping a very tight lid on spoilers for her charater for a big reason so here is my theory -- I could be wildly out of whack here but it is something that has been creeping about in the back of my mind since I saw a post on this thread a while back that planted the seed and that is that Carter is made 2IC of the SGC to Landry. I say this with full knowledge that it could be stupid and pie-in-the-sky hope on my part but my theory plays into the thought that it would show that Carter was not demoted by having full command of SG1 taken away. I would be satisfied if Carter was 2IC of the SGC even if she did not have full command of SG1 since 2IC of the SGC is so big. In the 4th Horsemen there is a picture of Landry in the infirmary obviously suffering from the so-called plague or whatever it is they are fighting and he has to have a 2IC to take over if he is incapacitated - why not Carter? I have been thinking about who else could be 2IC of the SGC in Landry's absence and no one jumps out at me except Carter. It would be logical and TPTB could use it to play off why she does not necesarily have full command of SG1 and I am sure TPTB think that is something that would be acceptable to Carter fans if she is not in full command of SG1 and would make the Carter fans "happy". It would show respect for the soldier and leader we all know Carter is. Again, pure speculation on my part that I have put together based on some of the comments by various people and the fact that if Landry is incapacitated, as he appears to be in the 4th HM, there has to be someone in charge of the SGC . . . . Don't all laugh at me at once now, I am very sensitive that way.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Yes, she said this before the patch scene. Yup, the leadership thing is still ambiguous. It's looks like they will separate Mitchell and Carter, or when they are together they are not with the whole team.

What did you and others think of JM's response to your question? "I think Carter fans will enjoy season 9." okay, so I am a Carter fan---I wouldn't enjoy season 9 if she were in the background most of the season (Unless AT requested this which doesn't seem so from interviews). So, therefore, I will enjoy season 9 because Carter will not be in the background most of the time. Is that the logic?
        I'm hoping that's the logic. It'd be the same as telling a die-hard Vala fan that
        Spoiler:
        she'll be back at the end of season nine
        , or telling a Daniel fan that this season is ALL about him, right? Hmmm...

Oh, thanks for mentioning the interviews! Does anyone have that newest one from Dreamwatch? Is it possible for someone to post it, or has someone already done that?

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc

spoilers for s9's ex deus machina

Spoiler:
          IIRC when Carter said "it's your call" wasn't that BEFORE the patch scene? (which, BTW, I despised, and I know I am in the minority on that one, but I did.) I did not rewatch the ep so I may be mistaken - can someone clarify?

Spoiler:
          i was alright with the patch scene. i guess i just wanted 'more' with everything sam related. i wanted to know what was happening with cassie that was so bad that sam quit the sgc. i want to know where cassie is and is the prob over with? if not, then i can't see sam returning, whether the ori threat was this big or not.

i also don't understand why sam rejoined sg1 really? i can't really say why daniel and teal'c did either. i thought it rather presumptuous that mitchell would just assume they'd accept this. he didn't even ask daniel... but he did basically get permission from sam and teal'c, but i'd still like to know what made them decide to rejoin.

heck, i want to know what sg1 broke up to begin with! i want definite answers, not me having to make up ideas on how this or that happened and why.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
            I see that Gateworld has given out some spoilers for another late season 9 episode, Arthur's Mantle, which has an interesting premise
            Spoiler:

"Cameron Mitchell and Samantha Carter are shifted to another dimension, and wander Stargate Command invisible and unable to interact with others"
            Unfortunately, Sam isn't mentioned anywhere else in the spoilers for the show, but at least it sounds like it has potential for some good Sam moments. You can find the article here

NC
            sounds wonderful!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              Spoiler:
              i was alright with the patch scene. i guess i just wanted 'more' with everything sam related. i wanted to know what was happening with cassie that was so bad that sam quit the sgc. i want to know where cassie is and is the prob over with? if not, then i can't see sam returning ... i also don't understand why sam rejoined sg1 really? i can't really say why daniel and teal'c did either ...
              I agree with you, Sally. 100%. It doesn't make sense to me, either. It seems they're glossing over those issues in order to fast-forward to the "cool new season nine storyline" they had planned. But the characters are the meat of any good dramatic narrative (uh, television series). You can't ignore their personal backstories and expect each standalone episode to continue to hold interest for an audience.

I honestly think "TPTB" haven't truly decided one way or another with a lot of these issues. That's pretty sad. But I think that's what happened.

And I think you're also right in that:
              Spoiler:
              I don't understand for a second why Teal'c suddenly opted to rejoin a field unit for the Tau'ri. I didn't see that any of his 'issues' with the Free Jaffa council were resolved, and I think it's too convenient a plot device for TPTB to simply have his character 'walk away' from Dakara now because things are a little rough. In reality, that would be the worst thing he could do. He'd lose every supporter he hadn't already ... But oh well. (sigh)

In my humble opinion, dropping nearly a decade of 'character' centric storylines in favor of a rock-em-sock-em (episodic) space-battle sci-fi plot-line, is a dangerous (if not baffling) choice to be making. I love the idea of expanding upon the universe and creating new, more powerful, more mysterious enemies, battles, etc... but it saddens me to see the character-centric moments purposefully relegated to third-burner as a result. If you ask me, they should have worked hard on developing both angles. ESPECIALLY in light of the major casting and plot changes occuring. It would have made for a far more engaging new chapter of the series.

But that's just my 0.02 cents worth.

M.G.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

(edit)

so here is my theory -- I could be wildly out of whack here but it is something that has been creeping about in the back of my mind since I saw a post on this thread a while back that planted the seed and that is that Carter is made 2IC of the SGC to Landry.
                i snipped a lot of this post so i stood a chance of this posting without probs.

bink, i've thought about that very thing myself. a promotion would be the only thing i could get excited about with sam not having command of sg1 anymore. it would also play into 'amanda' not having to do as much physical work if she was more in command mode at the sgc. it might also give her some time off/hours reduced.

i have absolutely no proof, just me wishing to explain these certain unfavorable things away.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

We have not heard much on Carter so it stands to reason that they may be, for some reason, keeping a very tight lid on spoilers for her charater for a big reason so here is my theory -- I could be wildly out of whack here but it is something that has been creeping about in the back of my mind since I saw a post on this thread a while back that planted the seed and that is that Carter is made 2IC of the SGC to Landry. [snip] I would be satisfied if Carter was 2IC of the SGC even if she did not have full command of SG1 since 2IC of the SGC is so big. [snip] It would show respect for the soldier and leader we all know Carter is. Again, pure speculation on my part that I have put together based on some of the comments by various people and the fact that if Landry is incapacitated, as he appears to be in the 4th HM, there has to be someone in charge of the SGC . . . . Don't all laugh at me at once now, I am very sensitive that way.
                  Sorry for the shortening, but I had problems with quotes today.

No reason to laugh at you. This is a wonderful, great idea that I would enjoy seeing happening very much. Actually, it really is an excellent thought.
                  And they could easily explain why Sam would still be a member of SG-1 as 2IC of the SGC because well, they need her experience as a soldier and scientist. As many of you said, Mitchell simply does not have the experience with going off-world and all the procedures involved. But he does, obviously, have combat experience and is probably a great soldier. So, this would just be a perfect solution to all the unanswered questions. Sam would not have to take orders from him even though he would technically be in command of SG-1. So it would kinda be a "joint command" thingy, but not really, since we will know that Sam is after all 2IC of the SGC...Sorry, got carried away here for a moment.
                  I just don't know if that would be possible/allowed in the real AF world and/or if the AF advisor would approve of it. What the rest of you think?
                  Anyways, you certainly deserve a lot of green for such a great idea.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

The only problem I have with Sam being second in command of the SGC is that she wouldn't be going out on missions in the field anymore. And plus, being 2IC of the SGC would be a mainly administrative job - not really something I would want Carter doing.

Comment

I don't agree. Jack was 2IC of the SGC for the first seven years and he went out on missions and if Jack could handle the administrative side of the job, I'm sure Sam could. Though I'd hate to see her give up on her Scientific side in order to take on a position as 2IC of SGC. I'm probably the odd ball out, but really like seeing Astrogeek!Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        The only problem I have with Sam being second in command of the SGC is that she wouldn't be going out on missions in the field anymore. And plus, being 2IC of the SGC would be a mainly administrative job - not really something I would want Carter doing.
                        Wasn't Jack the base's 2IC? I didn't think Sam was the base 2IC in Season Eight, but I did wonder who was. Perhaps he (not she, mind you) is still the 2IC this season anyway? :shrugs:

ON EDIT: As always, Forever beat me to it!
                        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 31 August 2005, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Just in case you don't know yet, here's the remaining line-up for the first half of the season.

09/02 Stargate Marathon
                          • 2000 Lost City I
                          • 2100 Lost City II
                          • 2200 Window of Opportunity
                          • 2300 A Matter of Time
                          • 2400 1969
                          • 0100 2010
                          09/06 Season 9 Marathon
                          • 1900 Avalon I
                          • 2000 Avalon II
                          • 2100 Origin
                          • 2200 The Ties That Bind
                          • 2300 The Powers That Be
                          • 2400 Beachhead
                          • 0100 Ex Deus Machina
                          09/09 Babylon
                          09/16 Prototype/Fourth Horsemen I
                          • Episodes 9 and 10 will be played back to back.
                          No more new episodes until January!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            I think having a Sam clone AND and Janet clone would give me heart failure...
                            Me too ... but I'd die happy. Wouldn't you?

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

If this were the only picture I'd ever seen of Amanda, I'd still be immediately subjugated. Guh!
                              As for these obscure TV appearances in Fast Forward (never heard of it before) and whatnot, there really must be a Department of Tapping Studies founded someplace to further enlighten us. Maybe up in Vancouver at Janet Fraiser University ... er, I mean Simon Fraser University (aka Tollana).

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                I don't agree. Jack was 2IC of the SGC for the first seven years and he went out on missions and if Jack could handle the administrative side of the job, I'm sure Sam could. Though I'd hate to see her give up on her Scientific side in order to take on a position as 2IC of SGC. I'm probably the odd ball out, but really like seeing Astrogeek!Sam.
                                But was it ever actually said in the show (ie canon) or is it simply something that is accepted as fanon? Because I can't remember them ever saying it. And it doesn't really make sense that the 2IC of the base is going out into the field every day - he would be staying back helping to run the actual base itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X