No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my question is.....since we grew up being told "no" does that mean there is something wrong with us??
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
      So my question is.....since we grew up being told "no" does that mean there is something wrong with us??
      No.

Comment

LOL Fives Hedwig
        sigpic

Comment

lol

We also walked away from competitions losers, not 'participants' and seem to have turned out just fine.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ok so are you saying they don't allow them to "lose" a game now? To be fair about the sport participation part; we also didn't have to pay to participate as it was part of the school program. Although I do remember when we went on tour in Australia in 1980; we were amazed they didn't have programs in the schools, the Aussies joined clubs to play. Chelle have they changed the club programs there?
            sigpic

Comment

Um....

I think the emphasis has swung to far the other direction now, I think the 'put downs' that used to happen in our prarents/our school days is very damaging to a child and we shouldn't return to the days of only the brightest matter, less academic kids still have much to contribute and should be praised for doing their best always. However they also need to be sensitively corrected when they are wrong and shown that winning is good but that not everyone will win and that's OK. I do think its important though that no child feels excluded because 'they aren't good enough'

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic
              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

ok so are you saying they don't allow them to "lose" a game now? To be fair about the sport participation part; we also didn't have to pay to participate as it was part of the school program. Although I do remember when we went on tour in Australia in 1980; we were amazed they didn't have programs in the schools, the Aussies joined clubs to play. Chelle have they changed the club programs there?
                Sports is huge in our schools. Always has been since I was a kid. We don't pay for school sports and we are expected to participate - it's like any other part of our education. We do have to pay for sports that aren't included in the schools program - like tennis for example. Or if the kids want extra curricular sports then they join a club eg: footy, netball, athletics, basketball.
                Although a lot of these sports are still integrated in the school sports program's just not to the competition level.
                We have inter school sports too, where we play against other schools. Games like rounders, footy, athletics, newcombe, volleyball etc.
                Sometimes I think our schools emphasises more on sports than the three R's. There's so much crammed into school program's nowadays.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

There is/has been a push towards 'no one goes away empty handed', so say it's a soccer tourney. Every single kid that shows up walks away with a trophy, obviously the winners get bigger ones. Which I can get the 'include everyone' aspect of it. But it can also condone the attitude that all kids need to do is show up and they win. They don't have to do anything, try for anything, work for anything, just walk in the door and you're awarded.

Goes on long enough you end up with a very self-entitled group of folks that join the real world expecting to get a promotion just for showing up to work.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not apposed to participation awards but not on an equal standing as the star player or the person who puts in the most effort etc.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUMSEY!!!
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Happy Birthday Mumsy
                      Ain't ya glad we're just honorary kids and you didn't have to raise all of us?

sigpic

Comment

!!!!!!YadhtriB yppaH ysmuM
                        sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

Happy Birthday Mumsey!!!
                          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Amanda is winging her way (probably landed by now) to the Bay Area

On the plane. On my way to @EvoExpo2014. See you soon! Xo
                            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                              I'm not apposed to participation awards but not on an equal standing as the star player or the person who puts in the most effort etc.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUMSEY!!!
                              Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Happy Birthday Mumsy
                              Ain't ya glad we're just honorary kids and you didn't have to raise all of us?
                              Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
                              !!!!!!YadhtriB yppaH ysmuM
                              Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                              Happy Birthday Mumsey!!!
                              Thanks everyone! Had a great day with my kids (the ones I gave birth to!) with a super lunch. Then surprised my big sis who gave me an early birthday on Thursday (she doesn't travel these days.)

Lots of lovely messages from my world-wide brood. (And yes, I'm glad I didn't have to raise you all - two was quite enough for me!)

((((Mega Huggles to you all))))

Mumsey x
                              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

LOL Fives Hedwig
                                suse tried to five Jan. Fails. Bring the hand lower!!!
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X