Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

So far the season isn't bad. I mean if it were a new spinoff show I would probably be truly enjoying it; however, I don't know how to explain it. It just leaves me feeling empty. It's like I've just spent an hour watching and waiting for something to happen but it never does. I keep waiting for it to all click together and suddenly seem like the show I have been watching for the past eight years. I'm not putting down the actors/writers, I really think they have done a fair job so far trying to deal with so many new characters and storylines... I just really miss my old team. I miss Jack. I miss Sam. I'm even really starting to miss Hammond and Janet. It's like I didn't realize how good we used to have it until so much of it is gone.

I think the best part of the episode for me personally was seeing Teal'c away from the SGC. I'm really hoping we get some time with Sam/Teal'c this season where Teal'c opens up a bit about what he is trying to deal with on Dakara. He just seems so isolated and alone to me. Poor Teal'c.
    I think you said it correctly ForeverSG1. I think if it was a spinoff I would probably like the show better, because I wouldn't be expecting more. However, they left it as Stargate SG-1 and I tune in each week (okay the last two episodes) expecting SG-1, not a revamp of the series that wasn't broken to begin with. I too miss the old show and old team!

I also feel bad for Teal'c. He is like the only grown-up at the kids table.

Comment

28 DAYS TILL SAM RETURNS!!!

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

same with me. if they'd have just been allowed to make it a whole new show then i think it would be easier to handle.

i'm watching this and i'm expecting a season opener...not a pilot. i'm expecting developed characters and steady plots....not a deliberate placing of the pieces on the board....that they're drawing as they're putting the pieces out.

i'm expecting something familiar and much liked...not something new that's been put in front of me as a consolation prize

and as much as they're touting 'it's classic stargate', um no sorry boys. It ain't gonna be classic stargate until i get a certain character back on the show. cause classic stargate had a nice strong admirable female character in it.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          same with me. if they'd have just been allowed to make it a whole new show then i think it would be easier to handle.

i'm watching this and i'm expecting a season opener...not a pilot. i'm expecting developed characters and steady plots....not a deliberate placing of the pieces on the board....that they're drawing as they're putting the pieces out.

i'm expecting something familiar and much liked...not something new that's been put in front of me as a consolation prize

and as much as they're touting 'it's classic stargate', um no sorry boys. It ain't gonna be classic stargate until i get a certain character back on the show. cause classic stargate had a nice strong admirable female character in it.

If this were a new show and I just tuned in for the first time, I would not tune back in because it does not grab me in the least. I found myself getting really bored through most of it (and that shocked me because I love this show). I couldn't keep up with Daniel, and I don't think Daniel and Vala can really hold the show. Who I really like is Teal'c---but the poor guy has not much to do, and I'm afraid that I will get bored with the Jaffa nation stuff---but CJ is doing a great job.

This is the first night that I like SGA better than SG1 without a question, and this is really disappointing to me (although I'm glad I liked SGA). I cared about the SGA characters, but I didn't really care what was happening to the characters in SG1, maybe because there wasn't much of a rhythm there yet, like Foreversg1 mentioned.

I have the same kind of empty feeling, and I really hate that I do. I am going to keep watching, but looking forward to sam coming back. I didn't realize how good we had it with the old team!

Comment

Round 35 of the Fave Episodes Tournament has begun. Birthright was eliminated in Round 34.

Help keep the Sam-centrip eps from being eliminated! You can make a difference!. Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...&page=81&pp=20

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              Citizens of Samanda:
              There is good news tonight for those of us who are convention-attendance challenged.
              GW's new Briefing Room ( http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...ewseason.shtml )
              includes two photo albums from two fans who were at Comic Con.
              One is our own friend tsaxlady!
              I enjoyed viewing the photos. I think you will too. You’ll find them posted at:

http://xfkirsten.smugmug.com/gallery/664483

http://spaces.msn.com/members/tsaxla...onalSpace.aspx

There are some great pictures of our Queen. Enjoy!

Okay I just have to say it was a surprise to see the link to my Con pictures posted in the Gateworld news section. Cool but a total surprise.
              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

YES!

(((sam amanda)))

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

ya know what happened to me last week? we made plans to go to kansas city last friday night. took me a week to realize that i was going to miss the premieres.
                  and i realized then that i didn't care. i felt no need to just HAVE to watch them live.

i knew that atlantis would survive the siege, i knew that bsg was going to move really slowly and i really had no interest in meeting cam.

this is the first time since season 3 that i haven't cared.

that in itself speaks volumes

do i enjoy cam? yes. and i think that hank and lam will be ok. vala....she's kinda like shanks beard. it grows on you after a while but you find yourself looking forward to when it's shaved off.

like i said, they keep touting it as classic stargate. but, to me, classic stargate had excitement laced wiht it. there's no excitement in these eps thus far.

just a methodical tellilng of a story. i have yet to be surprised by anything they've done...and it's not cause i've read spoilers because i've avoided the explicit ones.

atlantis rocks, and it shows brad's magic touch. rob may be able to do a decent job...but i just can't connect with his image of the show.

maybe sam's return will fire things up for me
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think Sky summed up Avalon 2 nicely in her first post when she said it was an episode to set up other plot lines. I enjoyed Avalon 1 more than this, mainly because we got to meet some of the new characters, and it was like a new toy, all bright and shiny. But this epi felt like we're in a holding pattern. It's like we're still waiting for the real season to start, and I don't mean just because Sam isn't there yet. Is it just me, or does it seem like a very slow buildup to meeting the really bad guys?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      This is the first night that I like SGA better than SG1 without a question, and this is really disappointing to me (although I'm glad I liked SGA). I cared about the SGA characters, but I didn't really care what was happening to the characters in SG1, maybe because there wasn't much of a rhythm there yet, like Foreversg1 mentioned.
                      Yes! I felt exactly the same way. Half way through Atlantis I thought, wow, this is so much better than SG-1. And it made me very sad.

Speaking of Atlantis, where was Novak (?), the geeky female engineer who sneezes all the time? She was in last week's ep, and I really, really like her character. I was hoping to see her again this week.

I have a terrible confession to make, but I find myself liking Vala more and more every episode. In fact, I think she's my favorite part of the show right now. Cam is just doing nothing for me.
                      Spoiler:
                      When I found myself cheering for the knight, I realized that this was probably a good indication that I'm not very fond of him at this point. And what a pathetic sword fight!

Other people have pointed out that Teal'c seems to be shoved off by himself a lot, and I totally agree. His character is being wasted.

The doc didn't appear to be too bothered by Vala's death (which bothered me), and she called it awfully quickly, it seemed to me. I didn't feel the drama in what should have been a very dramatic scene.

But I'm really hoping things will pick up next week.

Hugs,
                      Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                        Where can I find some of these other reports from Comic con? I loved the ones that tsaxlady posted!! Interested to hear what others said. I'm glad AT is getting positive feedback.

Spoiler:
                        yes ... someone else was mentioning that Sam and Mitchell were very rarely together on missions. One was on Earth while the other was leading SG-1 off world. hence the spoilers today. Sam is leading SG-1 while Mitchell remains on Earth.
                        Hmmm.....if they're not all four
                        Spoiler:
                        together much.....maybe that could create a shooting schedule that wouldn't require everyone to be there as much.....and give the actors some down time even during shooting season.
                        That would be a job perk, and might prevent actor exits!
                        Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                        I’m a bit preoccupied with RL stuff at the moment. Well, it’s either that, or TPTB are messing about with my character too…
                        Great one, 1speed! ROTFLOL!!!
                        Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Overall I'd say that the so far the season isn't really bad. I mean if it were a new spinoff show I would probably be truly enjoying it; however, I don't know how to explain it. It just leaves me feeling empty. It's like I've just spent an hour watching and waiting for something to happen but it never does. I keep waiting for it to all click together and suddenly seem like the show I have been watching for the past eight years. I'm not putting down the actors/writers, I really think they have done a fair job so far trying to deal with so many new characters and plotlines... it's just that I just really miss my old team. I miss Jack. I miss Sam. I'm even really starting to miss Hammond and Janet. It's like I didn't realize how good we used to have it until so much of it is gone.
                        I feel much as you do, ForeverSg1. I liked tonight better than last Friday, and I agree that if it was a new spinoff show, I'd probably really be enjoying it too. But it still seems a little flat to me. And the more I think about how Moebius could have been used to facilitate
                        Spoiler:
                        Janet's return, the more I wish they had done that. Just think how amazing it would have been to have her at the SGC at the start of S9, just like nothing had ever happened! What a surprise and treat for the longtime fans! It might have helped soften the blow of losing RDA too. After all, if there are fish in Jack's pond, other things could have changed.....

I think I gave Avalon 1 a 3.5-4. I give Avalon 2 a 5-5.5. I agree with most of the rest of you. SGA is a lot more entertaining right now. I'd give each of the new eps a 10!

Specifically,
                        Spoiler:
                        the interactions at the SGC still seem forced and unreal to me. I've always liked Beau Bridges in everything he has been in, even that awful 10.5 TV disaster movie, but so far, I'm not embracing Landry. I also didn't like the sword fight with the HOLOGRAM!!!!! But hubby reminded me that people could get killed in simulations on the holodeck in ST:NG. So.....I guess SG-1 is now like ST: NG!

What I liked a lot were
                        Spoiler:
                        the parts where Daniel and Vala were interacting with the people in the Orii-controlled village. I thought those scenes were excellent, and really gave us a good glimpse of our new enemy. I'm actually looking forward to finding out more about them next week!
                        But what I'm looking forward to is seeing Jack again and getting the rest of the scoop on him! And next week will bring us closer to Sam's return! That's definitely a good thing!
                        Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 22 July 2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                          I think Sky summed up Avalon 2 nicely in her first post when she said it was an episode to set up other plot lines. I enjoyed Avalon 1 more than this, mainly because we got to meet some of the new characters, and it was like a new toy, all bright and shiny. But this epi felt like we're in a holding pattern. It's like we're still waiting for the real season to start, and I don't mean just because Sam isn't there yet. Is it just me, or does it seem like a very slow buildup to meeting the really bad guys?

NC

It's a really slow build up for me too, maybe that's why I'm bored with it. The other thing I realized is that I don't like the religious overtones, but that is just me. oh well. Vala was better in this one, but I'm tired of the main storylines already.

This is definitely not "the best yet" IMO! And I'm fine with change, by the way, but this isn't working. SGA has more of the old "team feel" of SG1 tonight.

Comment

The best part of Avalon 2 was the last 10 mins. and the best thing about that was Joel's music. I loved the vocal samples he used for the first time on an episode of SG1 tonight.

As for the episode itself well I found it to be on the slow side. It would also be really nice if they would slow MS down when he talks, at times tonight I had a really hard time understanding what he was saying because he was talking so fast.

I really thought things would speed up this week and it did at times but then it slowed right back down. Hopefully next weeks conclusion will be better.

Tonight I enjoyed Atlantis much more than SG1. Which is the first time that has been the case.

I did like Avalon 1 and I'm not giving up on the new season. I was just a little disappointed in the pacing of Avalon 1 & 2 when put together. But Origin could pull them all together into a good three episode arc. Time will tell.
                            Last edited by tsaxlady; 23 July 2005, 06:53 PM.
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

i watched this ep (without ff through it), and....

i'm in a rather melancholy mood now. i feel like the sg1 that i know and love is gone.

for me, a show is more than it's plots and storylines. it's *always* been about the characters. while i like these new ppl, i found myself missing *my* sg1. there really wasn't anything wrong with tonight's ep, it's just... i want to see sam carter, jack o'neill, teal'c, and daniel jackson travel through the stargate together. half the team i love was gone. my two fave characters were missing.

i'm sure things will pick up for me when sam/amanda returns , but... i'm really having a hard time with my sad mood.

sally
                              Last edited by majorsal; 22 July 2005, 09:17 PM.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                i watched this ep (without ff through it), and....

i'm in a rather melancholy mood now. i feel like the sg1 that i know and love is gone.

for me, a show is more than it's plots and storylines. it's *always* been about the characters. while i like these new ppl, i found myself missing *my* sg1. there really wasn't anything wrong with tonight's ep, it's just... i want to see sam carter, jack o'neill, teal'c, and daniel jackson travel through the stargate together. half the team i love was gone. my two fave characters were missing.

i'm sure things will pick up for me when sam/amanda returns , but... i'm really having a hard time with my sad mood.

sally
                                I agree with so much that’s been said tonight about Avalon 2. Majorsal, you used a word that really described how I felt – melancholy. Until the last 10 or so minutes my main feeling was boredom and that was such a bummer when I realized that’s how I felt. Lam’s coldness was certainly surprising. I know it’s not fair to compare her to Janet (at least not yet), but I couldn’t help but think Janet would have showed so much more compassion for her patients.

I came away from it feeling, well, I’ve done my duty – I watched it. I never felt that way about *our* team in 8 years! Yes, Sally, you’re right, it about the characters.

I hate to say this, but it’s Sam’s return that will keep me as a viewer and that time won’t come soon enough!

Beach Head countdown, US west coast time...

Comment

Working...
                                X