Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Pavor refers to Pavor Nocturnus, a Sanctuary episode.
    Ahhh... thanks for clearing that up! That was a great ep.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
      Beneath her? I don't agree. The character was well-developed, if a little crazy, and she had enough depth that it felt like a real person. I'm trying to think of an example of a role that may fall into the category of "beneath her", but for the life of me I can't think of one. Even in the cheesy, campy sci fi movies on cable, where the characters are all so laughable, when I imagine her in one of the roles there, I imagine she'd bring an instant gravitas to it. Even if it was zany, crazy, unrealistic part, I think the way she'd approach it would give it credence.

If that makes any sense. And I love that she'd didn't shy away from the gritty stuff in Stuck. I mean, how often do we see actors and actresses who always seem to play the same character? Even when they're trying to break out of that by doing something completely out there, in many cases it's like they're their usual characters trying to be the character they're supposed to be in the random movie. But with AT, I don't ever see that.
      Well said. Look at Sanctuary for example, she really utilized her talent in the series, both as an actress and a director, and it's the little things she does in the episodes that really show off what she can do. It shows she focuses on the little stuff, as well as the big stuff. And look at Monsoon, I think it was to show off another side of Helen, and give fans in that group another reason to relate to her.

Pavor refers to Pavor Nocturnus, a Sanctuary episode

In the Void, she did have a body double. The movie's producers insisted that it had to have nudity in it. AT is strict about not doing nudity, so she got to 'cast' her 'boob double'. SHe tells a con story about shooting stargate and going out side to look at polariods of boobs and bums and getting to choose the body parts that would double as hers....years later she found out that she knew the actress that was her boob double.
      Also, well said. I've read comments on twitter that creep me out a little, saying they hope she does stuff like Stuck in this new movie. I guess it's because of what the info about the movie said, saying it had part of the feel of "Lie With Me" in there or something. But like you said, and from what we've seen her say and do in the past, I don't think we'll see nudity from her in this new movie, The Void and Pavor are good examples of how she feels about that, and other things she's said and done.

Comment

As we've heard Amanda say many times, the best thing for an actor to do is to occasionally "scare the crap out of yourself" and push the envelope to keep the acting skills sharp. Things like "stuck" (which she mainly did because of JR, I believe), "that" scene in Pavor, and "the kiss" in Monsoon are just a few examples of that.

It seems that with Space Milkshake, she'll get to sharpen her comedic skills (on camera, anyway. she seems like a wonderful comedian off screen). And With Random Acts, it seems that she'll get to sharpen her "stuck-up ice queen" acting skills.
        sigpic

Comment

What I loved about Stuck was the message it sent out...we tend to stereotype what a drug addict/dealer is when in reality it could be any one of us for whatever reason it is...not that I'm condoning drug use but I think the old saying, you can't judge a book by its cover fits in well.
          I'd love to see Amanda in more gritty roles...and lots more humourous roles too.
          As for the nudity...I'm glad she stuck by her guns & doesn't get naked for any role...that's her choice and I love it.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I thought AT went nude for Stargate, where she played RepliCarter coming out of the wall? I think she mentioned something about that in an interview, about being there on set with all those familiar people, feeling very cold and being covered in some jello-like substance...
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
              What I loved about Stuck was the message it sent out...we tend to stereotype what a drug addict/dealer is when in reality it could be any one of us for whatever reason it is...not that I'm condoning drug use but I think the old saying, you can't judge a book by its cover fits in well.
              I'd love to see Amanda in more gritty roles...and lots more humourous roles too.
              As for the nudity...I'm glad she stuck by her guns & doesn't get naked for any role...that's her choice and I love it.
              Well said Chelle and i so agree with you,i as well love the message that comes across in Stuck and a movie like this reminds us we shouldnt judge someone just by what we see everyone has there own story as to how why they are the way they are and what brought them to that moment and like you said Dont Judge A Book By Its Cover.

Originally posted by fems View Post
              I thought AT went nude for Stargate, where she played RepliCarter coming out of the wall? I think she mentioned something about that in an interview, about being there on set with all those familiar people, feeling very cold and being covered in some jello-like substance...
              At GTTS con that i atteneded at the cocktail party we were talking about that very scene and Amanda came over and she told us that for that scene in New Order P2 that she wore a skin colored bikini that was then coverd in the slimy stuff .
              sigpic
              (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

There's a huge difference between 'faking' nude and really being nude.

I found when i watch Void, it was so clumsily edited that you knew the 'naughty bits' had been cut in. But, unfortunately, some studios and directors believe that a work needs to have nudity to be 'real' or 'gritty' or maybe it's just for the titillation factor.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You know what's weird? I'd totally forgotten about the accidental moment in "Stuck". Is that some people were all like "that's beneath her"? I was talking about the acting job and the characterization and all that...

But you know, even now that I remember... it was still awesome. Maybe because when I first watched it I was expecting something preachy or artist-elitist, like some indie flicks are, but what I got from it was so much more than that. I was very much impressed with the whole thing.

Comment

You know what's weird? I'd totally forgotten about the accidental moment in "Stuck". Is that some people were all like "that's beneath her"?
                    Not having seen this movie, I'm wondering what this "accidental" moment is. Or is it something not to be spoken of?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Not having seen this movie, I'm wondering what this "accidental" moment is. Or is it something not to be spoken of?
                      If I recall correctly, there was momentary instance of brief nudity on AT's part. I mean, there's some also less savory moments of drug use and sex in an elevator with people in there with them, watching... but I think the part that has everyone up in arms is the nudity.

Comment

It was probably along the line of 'oops' and she didn't even realize something popped out and the budget of the production (as in none) meant that going back to reshoot it wasn't practical.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

There's a huge difference between 'faking' nude and really being nude.

I found when i watch Void, it was so clumsily edited that you knew the 'naughty bits' had been cut in. But, unfortunately, some studios and directors believe that a work needs to have nudity to be 'real' or 'gritty' or maybe it's just for the titillation factor.
                          I don't understand why she has a problem with nudity - Kate Winslet won the Oscar for "The Reader"! If the nudity serves a purpose and it's not just there for nudity's sake, I'm all for Amanda performing a role with full frontal nudity...

Comment

You know what's weird? I'd totally forgotten about the accidental moment in "Stuck". Is that some people were all like "that's beneath her"? I was talking about the acting job and the characterization and all that...

But you know, even now that I remember... it was still awesome. Maybe because when I first watched it I was expecting something preachy or artist-elitist, like some indie flicks are, but what I got from it was so much more than that. I was very much impressed with the whole thing.
                            I've said "Stuck" is beneath her as it's clear the director was a hack if he missed the nip-slip!

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                              As we've heard Amanda say many times, the best thing for an actor to do is to occasionally "scare the crap out of yourself" and push the envelope to keep the acting skills sharp. Things like "stuck" (which she mainly did because of JR, I believe), "that" scene in Pavor, and "the kiss" in Monsoon are just a few examples of that.

It seems that with Space Milkshake, she'll get to sharpen her comedic skills (on camera, anyway. she seems like a wonderful comedian off screen). And With Random Acts, it seems that she'll get to sharpen her "stuck-up ice queen" acting skills.
                              Well said. I remember when Amanda answered a question (my question ) about the scene from Pavor, and she said she's not sure she'd want to be that scared again. Poor thing. But yeah, the kiss in Monsoon I think really stretched her skills, and showed us a new side to her and Helen.

Space Milkshake seems to be all comedy, and RaoR seems to be a comedy-romance. Like what's been said, so far, I don't think we'll see anything "major" in the movie.

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                              I wish I could green you. It's just the things I've read on twitter, with people asking her to do "certain" things in the movie, which I find a little creppy , but like you said, Chelle, and others have said here, she doesn't do stuff like that, and The Void and Pavor are good examples of that. Oh, and how she stood up to the SG-1 ptb, and told them she didn't want to wear those "bimbo" clothes for Carter.

I just wish people would tone down those creepy comments on twitter, and stop asking for her to do "certain" things in the movie. She likely won't, but still. Oy, people, man.

Originally posted by helenmagnus23 View Post
                              Well said Chelle and i so agree with you,i as well love the message that comes across in Stuck and a movie like this reminds us we shouldnt judge someone just by what we see everyone has there own story as to how why they are the way they are and what brought them to that moment and like you said Dont Judge A Book By Its Cover.

At GTTS con that i atteneded at the cocktail party we were talking about that very scene and Amanda came over and she told us that for that scene in New Order P2 that she wore a skin colored bikini that was then coverd in the slimy stuff .
                              Oh, really, I had no idea about that scene in NO Pt.2, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                                I've said "Stuck" is beneath her as it's clear the director was a hack if he missed the nip-slip!
                                From what I understand (and could be wrong), the director/producer was J.R. Bourne's brother, and AT was doing the movie as a favor to both of them.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                It was probably along the line of 'oops' and she didn't even realize something popped out and the budget of the production (as in none) meant that going back to reshoot it wasn't practical.
                                Sort of a "wardrobe malfunction"?

Comment

Working...
                                X