Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
    "body of evidence" - uh, a Madonna movie?! (not that I've watched it. )

I'd love to see Amanda in a comedy. She's never had much of a chance to be funny on screen (not with Sam, and only a little with Magnus). In all of the AT stuff I've seen (which isn't a whole lot) she's had serious roles (or been dead!). However, her off screen interviews & behind-the-scenes stuff is always so funny.
    She was able to be comedic when she portrayed geeky Sam in Moebius Part 1 & 2. That was one of the things she said she enjoyed about it... she and Michael Shanks had a great time playing their bumbling counterparts.

Comment

so the scene towards the end of 'summit', where sam wakes up to find major mansfield(?) and the tok'ra female dead, and elliot now has lantesh inside him... i *loved* that entire scene, b/c of the way it was filmed (martin wood) and amanda's awesome acting! i played it twice, and a couple of the scenes over a few times. she just played it with care (as an actress and to the poor dead and injured ppl around her)

[/fangirl]
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        so the scene towards the end of 'summit', where sam wakes up to find major mansfield(?) and the tok'ra female dead, and elliot now has lantesh inside him... i *loved* that entire scene, b/c of the way it was filmed (martin wood) and amanda's awesome acting! i played it twice, and a couple of the scenes over a few times. she just played it with care (as an actress and to the poor dead and injured ppl around her)

[/fangirl]
        It was kind of a classic "Soldier Sam" moment where she checks to see if the people around her are dead, and then after deciding Mansfield was dead, she takes his dog tags to bring back with her, in true soldier fashion. I also like the fact that she didn't hesitate in taking the crystal with the formula for the poison from Ren'al after she died. It really shows her heart vs scientist vs soldier conflict.
        sigpic

Comment

This is from Moebius. I remembered Geeky Carter using the reproductive organs line and had to grab it. She is standing in Dr. Hershfield's office...

Geeky Carter: This is totally unbelievable! Y-you are a small and pathetic man. Those were my theories on spinwave technology and the effects of antigravity on electromagnetism and you know it! *stares down the empty chair behind the desk* A-a-and just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't- gah, that's horrible! Who would ever say that?

Dr. Hershfield: *opens door* Carter. *looks around room* Who are you talking to?

Geeky Carter: (slightly defensive) No one.

Dr. Hershfield: Are you talking to yourself?

Geeky Carter: (a little more defensive) No.

Dr. Hershfield: Have you proofread my review of the solid fuel rockets yet?

Geeky Carter: I-I'm almost done. *forcing a smile and giving him a tightly held double thumbs up* Good job!
          Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
          Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
            This is from Moebius. I remembered Geeky Carter using the reproductive organs line and had to grab it. She is standing in Dr. Hershfield's office...

Geeky Carter: This is totally unbelievable! Y-you are a small and pathetic man. Those were my theories on spinwave technology and the effects of antigravity on electromagnetism and you know it! *stares down the empty chair behind the desk* A-a-and just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't- gah, that's horrible! Who would ever say that?

Dr. Hershfield: *opens door* Carter. *looks around room* Who are you talking to?

Geeky Carter: I-I'm almost done. *forcing a smile and giving him a tightly held double thumbs up* Good job!
            wonderful amanda acting moment!
            sally

sigpic

Comment

AT was looking great in Sanctuary tonight. Love Magnus' wardrobe.

And I'll remember to watch again on Monday. Magnus Monday!

Comment

she could be!!

really, i could easily see amanda in that new ... guh, my memory. k, try to follow... one of rda's ex girlfriends is now in a medical show, where she handles dead bodies and tries to... 'body of evidence'!! and it's dana delaney. there, i helped myself remember.

but i could sooooo see amanda tackle this role! or the lead in V (though the series is alright).

to me (and LOTS of her fans), amanda's grade A acting material!
                Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                "Body of Proof" - great show, and not just Dana, but Jeri Ryan as well!

Yes, sadly Amanda is really not a household name outside the sci-fi world. I had absolutely no idea who she was until I started watching SG-1.
                Jeri has made the cross over to "regular" tv. Amanda could too.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                It's Body of Proof, not Body of Evidence I'm enjoying it and I think I will keep watching, but it's a bit over written at times. Like the surprisingly insightful forensic pathologist piping up to painfully explain the not so subtle metaphor of the episode, banging it over the viewers' heads even more. Hoping that it's just a hiccup for the first few eps as they find their feet and introduce their characters. and that they learn to trust their viewers a bit more.
                My hope as well, I'm liking the characters so far.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                I'm watching it too and enjoy it. I do agree, sometimes Dana's character is a bit OTT, but still watchable. I've heard that, as the show goes on, the supporting characters step up more and more, which dilutes her a bit
                Good to hear.

i haven't watched an ep of it yet, but i see the commercials!

i like dana (and loved on 'china beach').

~'china beach', another role amanda could have nailed easily!~
                LOVED China Beach. Sure wish it would come out on DVD. Of course, they need to finish the sets that they're started and not finished first. grrrrrrrr

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post

That's what we say to each other at work now.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

Wasn't that a song? Magnus Monday?
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                  Wasn't that a song? Magnus Monday?
                  If it wasn't before, it will be soon. I say they just increased the value of Monday several fold.
                  Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                  Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

~i like the comedy series 'community'. only comedy i watch. i could *so* see her playing some wacky character there! ~
                    Heh, Community is so self-referential, she could even appear as herself. Plus one of the characters said he was a Stargate fan.

Though I think AT seems satisfied staying in Vancouver, I'm not sure if she'd even be interested in trying for some of the bigger broadcast shows.

woohoo, three months in a row. i'm stoked

http://www.livejournal.com/poll/?id=1733178
                    Congrats!

I've noticed that AT was often able to convey Sam's concern in those situations for those hurt or dead around her, despite the obvious need to move on with the plot. I especially liked the bit in the beginning of the Other Side, where you can see how much Sam's bothered by those people dying in their attempts to signal the SGC.

sigpic

Comment

Amanda Tapping film, The Void, is on Netflix Instant Watch now.

Here is a trailer for the movie.

Comment

I'm watching it too and enjoy it. I do agree, sometimes Dana's character is a bit OTT, but still watchable. I've heard that, as the show goes on, the supporting characters step up more and more, which dilutes her a bit
                        I agree. About the OTT. Kind of like the show The Closer. That southern accent is way over the top. I have a friend from the south who can't stand it. I guess it is pretty popular as it has been on for some time. But I like the way Amanda kind of under plays her roles. She's much more subtle and therefore more realistic. She shows at the conventions that she has fun being "over the top" at times and is a great comic. And maybe some of her not being well known is partly her choice. She loves her family life in Vancouver and stays out of the "hollywood" action. I know she is more talented than many of the actors I see on TV. She's great at what she does and I'm sure there are lots of things she could do if she really wanted too.

Comment

Like yours the best but they won't let me in to vote--very odd. (and I don't like that dark red one.)

Comment

I'm not having a problem with the talk about Sanctuary's change and the "dislike" of SyFy coz it's all part and parcel of what Amanda does and who she is so I kinda figure it's all related and relevant. Just saying.
                            If I'm not posting much its because of this blasted head cold that isn't improving and the tiredness that comes with said head cold...and I'm spending Easter by myself as the family remain up in Alexandra camping by the river with the lovely campfire...on the upside, it's certainly quieter here and I only have to cook for one and I'm in my pj's as soon as I get home from work so I kinda get to chillax a bit too.
                            Just now waiting to get my Easter Sanctuary fix...twice this week!!! Cool!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

You are on a roll!

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                              She was able to be comedic when she portrayed geeky Sam in Moebius Part 1 & 2. That was one of the things she said she enjoyed about it... she and Michael Shanks had a great time playing their bumbling counterparts.
                              AT also did some comedy on Canadian shows before Stargate came along. Newsroom is the show that immediately comes to mind.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

Ditto. I don't think it spoils anything to mention this. You notice how in this and other episodes Magnus will call out for Will or henry or Kate but never the big guy. I don't recall her ever calling him anything. Do you think Helen has a special name for him or is the only one who knows his actual name?

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                              Heh, Community is so self-referential, she could even appear as herself. Plus one of the characters said he was a Stargate fan.

Though I think AT seems satisfied staying in Vancouver, I'm not sure if she'd even be interested in trying for some of the bigger broadcast shows.
                              Congrats!

I've noticed that AT was often able to convey Sam's concern in those situations for those hurt or dead around her, despite the obvious need to move on with the plot. I especially liked the bit in the beginning of the Other Side, where you can see how much Sam's bothered by those people dying in their attempts to signal the SGC.

There is often talk in here about AT doing a mainstream network show or a big movie. Personally, I am happy for things to remain the way they are. I think she has the perfect amount of success. She can make a good living, have millions of adoring fans yet still live a normal life away from the insanity that many celebrities have to endure. Also, because we live next to such a large entertainment industry in the US, many of our actors feel they have to go to the US to work. I think it is wonderful that AT can work and live in Canada and, selfishly, would like to see it stay that way.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                Ditto. I don't think it spoils anything to mention this. You notice how in this and other episodes Magnus will call out for Will or henry or Kate but never the big guy. I don't recall her ever calling him anything. Do you think Helen has a special name for him or is the only one who knows his actual name?
                                She's called him "old friend" at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X