Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Yeah, I was really optimistic for a while, but I'm starting to think you may be right. I can probably swallow it as long as the writers do a good job of selling it. If they do go with Mitchell in charge, though, I wish they'd have made him of higher rank to avoid the debate. I'd take the "sir's" from Sam over this controversy and what could (currently) be perceived as a demotion (losing command of SG-1) to someone of equal rank.
    Well, they did say that SG-1 didn't exist anymore, so he's not stealing her command. And if she's reluctant to come back to SCG (and I don't think the weapon that Landry wants her to use is the reason), than she might not mind someone else taking the job. And honestly. Would you want Sam to go with the 'Sir' again ? Wonder what's the reason for her leaving the SGC and for SG-1 dismentling.

Only 48 hours left for you folks in the states.
    sigpic
    There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
    If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
    If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
    If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      *snorts*

That was freaking hilarious! What ep was that from?!
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 May 2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Thanks Historian! I'd do whatever's needed, because I've been trying to remember what my current title is, and I think I'm REALLY slacking on the job in that department...
        What's your title again ? Sorry, I'm having trouble remembering everyone here

Yep. If they really wanted it to be "no contest," they could have put him in a Full Colonel position, but they knew that'd wig many of us out. If they wanted him to be in a position where it was OBVIOUS that Sam would be CO once more, they would have put him in a Major position.
        I agree with you

But let's face it: Ben Browder is not Major material. I can't imagine him as anything else but an LC, and I like the idea of him being an LC. I just wish there weren't so many sociological implications involved.
        Ah! There, I have absolutely no idea. I never watched Farscape. Never was attracted to it by the glimpses I could see. And I don't know BB at all.

Anyway, I guess I'm beating this issue to death. You're probably right, Historian. He'll be the leader, even if it's not officially stated at the end of Beach Head. Or better yet, they'll make it REALLY graceful by having the ending scene go something like this:

Mitchell: (In the doorframe of Carter's lab) Nice work out there.

Carter: Thanks. You too, Cameron.

Mitchell: Sam...

Carter: Yeah?

Mitchell: You know, I'd understand if you wanted command of SG-1 back. I mean, it's your team after all -

Carter: Nah. Don't worry about it. It looks like you've done pretty well so far.

Mitchell: Really?

Carter: Yeah... Really. Plus, I think you handled Daniel and Vala's antics better than I would have.

Mitchell: You think so?

Carter: Mmhmm. And I assume you had absolutely nothing to say about Daniel's beard.

Mitchell: I'm assuming you do?

Carter: Ohhh yeah.

Something - *cough* LAME! *cough* - like that.

No, seriously. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how these two interact, and I'm sure TPTB will come up with a nice compromise that will serve both characters well. JM said they get along, so that's good to hear.
        Cool, though I don't want Sam to be like "Ok, you can keep it, I'll be a nice little woman and I'll shut up". I'd rather it be a "No, I don't want it anymore, you can have it" WITH a very plausible reason. Nah !
        sigpic
        If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
        If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
        If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
          And honestly. Would you want Sam to go with the 'Sir' again ?
          Actually, that's a very interesting question. Off-hand, I'm not sure. I don't enjoy the controversy, even knowing that it will all be resolved in time...

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are an integral part of the military, so if Mitchell outranked her, it would be perfectly appropriate, and it might serve (one would hope) to discourage any thoughts of shipping the two together. And you can get some really interesting stories from the chain-of-command aspect when Sam gets ordered to do something she knows is wrong/stupid. On the other hand, I think I could enjoy a more equal relationship between her and Mitchell. It could loosen her up her personality in the field a bit, I suppose.

So... honestly, I think it wouldn't really matter to me, assuming that the writers handled either scenario in an interesting and appropriate fashion that didn't demean Carter somehow.

My LJ

Comment

Another intersting response I saw on the JM thread was:

Originally posted by JMallozzi
            Originally posted by Brianamarie
            I'm sitting here, watching Moebius (fun ep!), and I'm curious. You guys had to have figured out some of the backstory of the AU SG1, right? Now, we can guess Teal'c is different because there was no SG1 to save him, and Catherine didn't rescue Daniel from the humiliation of academia. But what were the major backstory changes in Carter and O'Neill?
            That's a (back)story for another AU episode.
            Return of the Geek!Sam perhaps?

Comment

Whew! The Royal Reporter is happy to sign in for duty in the Kingdom. It pleases me to tell the Citizens of Samanda that new photos of our Queen (and also of her co-stars) have been posted to GW.

This news will be of special delight to those who are not in the States: the photos are from the Inside Sci-Fi special that aired Monday night! There are some especially good ones of AT. You can view them at:

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...july2005.shtml

Duty done for now. I'm catching up on your posts. Will be back to chat a little later!

Comment

*snorts*

That was freaking hilarious! What ep was that from?!
                My guess is Bane...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are an integral part of the military, so if Mitchell outranked her, it would be perfectly appropriate,
                  I know, but after she was the leader of a team, to start again with being that much subordinate to someone in her own team. But I'm sure the "Sir" and "Ma'am" will get use

and it might serve (one would hope) to discourage any thoughts of shipping the two together.
                  Absolutely no way!, Out of the question! Niet! Hors de question! Enough shipping is enough. I certainly they'll stop making her into a "girouette" (that thing on top of barns that indicate the wind, sorry, can't remember the name in English and don't want to look for it). It's Jack. NAH !

So... honestly, I think it wouldn't really matter to me, assuming that the writers handled either scenario in an interesting and appropriate fashion that didn't demean Carter somehow.
                  Ah Nice !
                  sigpic

Comment

the pic is from bane, right after jack steps in the bug doo and sam says ' i think they may have a bit of a pigeon problem...sir'
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I'm also in the YAY column...I have to see what's going on.

And no matter how much I whine and complain about no RDA and NO AT for the first 5, I am hopelessly addicted to the series (for now)...

That's me too. And I do like Ben Browder, so I'm hoping for the best. But the *real* season will start with the return of AT!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                        Put me in the Yay column. I figure I've got to watch the non-Sam episodes to find out what she's stepping into. (and you can interpret that any way you want ) I'm interested in seeing how Teal'c reacts to Vala, and how the new general reacts to Daniel and Teal'c, and vice versa. It sounds like these episodes will lay the foundation for a lot of episodes to come (I hope), and I don't want to be out of the loop when Sam comes back.

NC

Yah. same for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          the pic is from bane, right after jack steps in the bug doo and sam says ' i think they may have a bit of a pigeon problem...sir'
                          Sky, you and Uber beat me to it.

NC

Comment

Dancer of Spaz, what an eloquent defense of Sam's leadership abilities!!!! I think we should adopt you into the security force. Obviously, you are doing a spectacular job of defending Sam's six.
                            Great idea. It is a tough job fighting against the impenetrable hide of a certain opinionated poster over on that thread. Thank God for Samanda. Hic Comitas Regit!

I had a wonderful Stargate experience at my conference this weekend. As I was setting up my committee room prior to the meeting, I introduced myself to my committee chair, a 7-foot giant by the name of Jerome. I tried for a little small talk, but this is not something I'm very skilled at (perhaps the understatement of the century), and obviously neither was Jerome because he seemed to be even more monosyllabic than me. So, I was thinking, oh my god this is going to be a long week while I hooked up my computer to the projector and booted it up. As my wallpaper flashed on the screen, Jerome set down his papers.

"Great shot of Amanda," he said.

I thought, did he just say what I think he said? I looked up (and up and up) at him. "Yeah, isn't it?"

"Love Stargate," he said.

I fought the urge to pump my fist in the air and shout, "YES!!!!!" Instead, I grinned and said, "Me too." And we proceeded to bond over AT, Sam, and Stargate... it was great, and it made for a much more pleasant meeting.

Hugs to you all,
                            Strix
                            Great story!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Caption: What did they replace my blue jello with?

Comment

you know, i'm gonna watch. I think that ben will do ok. he seems to have a good handle on the show. and the right mix of talent and humility to make it work. he, like corin, (my opinion) is gonna try to fit in, not storm the gates with a 'i'm the star!!!!'.

landry seemed ok. beau himself didnt impress me, but i think landry will be a good character. Gerak, the new jaffa, will be good. i think the only other 'older male african-american' actor they could have cast that i would have liked more would have been danny glover.

vala....the jury's still out on her. she may be appealing to a taste and sense of humor that just isn't mine

LIke someone said, i can't make an informed critique of the episodes unless i see them. time will tell if i find them worth a re-watch or if i just rewind the tape and tape over it
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X