No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've wondered how AT has viewed the civil take-over of the series this season.

She's been on the show for going on nine years straight and the show's pretty much been her life. Then, she takes off a mere five episodes for one of the best reasons anyone can come up with, and the entire series is revamped without her - with her standing somewhat in the balance between being compared to Mitchell and being compared to Vala - two newbies who are great actors, great characters, but newbies nonetheless.

I'm not saying that AT would be territorial or anything (because that's clearly not the kind of person she is), but I think that such a drastic change would make anyone question their standing and value to some extent. I mean, she's only human. We all get filled with some kind of doubt from time to time.

That's why I think this gift that you guys have come up with will do well in allaying any concerns she may have - especially when she sees how dedicated the "hardcore" SG-1 fans are to seeing her succeed in life.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

The wonderful discussion on 'What Would Sam Carter Think About Religion and God' was another of the series of posts on this thread that amazed me.
      A discussion I totally missed out on! Could some kindly disposed Samandan please direct me to the approximate post area where this historic event transpired?
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        A discussion I totally missed out on! Could some kindly disposed Samandan please direct me to the approximate post area where this historic event transpired?
        It began with this post from Skydiver.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=10743

It was a wonderful discussion and Astro was right, no flames were involved and no war began. A true proof that Hic Comitas Regit
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

i happen to know that amanda's birthday is aug 28th

how about we work on a birthday book for her?

something to be done by the 15th or so so that it can be mailed to her in time for her birthday
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            i happen to know that amanda's birthday is aug 28th

how about we work on a birthday book for her?

something to be done by the 15th or so so that it can be mailed to her in time for her birthday
            Sounds like a plan. How should we start and do you have any ideas on content? I do like the idea of utilizing the phtographic-art work that the very talented citizens of Samanda have been doing, as Astro already suggested.
            On fighting:
            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
              Well said ChopinGal. In view of Astro's service, which was above and beyond the call of duty, I would like to propose the initiation of a medal, to be given to Samandan's who perform acts that go beyond the usual and demonstrate the highest goals of our beloved Samanda. Does anyone have a suggestion for the title of such a medal? And of course, we'll need one designed.
              One of the Majors (Sam or Sal, I can't remember which ) started on one a while back (orange and blue ribbon, big round shiny medal). Maybe one of our Royal Artists could pick it up and run with it?

Just don't ask me when it was, or where it might be found in the annals of Samanda...

Edit:

FOUND IT!!!

It was MajorSam, starting at post #8486 and editing it at post #8516.

If I was any good at this stuff, I could probably post a linky wotsit, but I'm not, so I can't. Sorry...
              Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 12 July 2005, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Thanks Samfan! Great pic I'm with you on that Bev!

----------

Thanks to everyone for their kind words regarding how the SaGC Collection turned out - I think it looks very nice - so many folks have put so much work into what they've posted on this thread, that it combines for a wonderful collection of comments and photos and artwork. My only regret is that I couldn't include more of the posts and comments - especially some of the wonderful comments and photo-graphic artwork that has been posted since I sent the Collection off to be bound a few weeks ago.

The wonderful discussion on 'What Would Sam Carter Think About Religion and God' was another of the series of posts on this thread that amazed me. When Sky presented the question, my first reaction was 'Uh, oh... dangerous, dangerous, incendiary topic...ooooo....,'.... But then I was so amazed at the wonderfully considerate and thoughtful and balanced responses and posts... folks really answered the question as to how Sam, a scientist who's seen all that SG-1 has seen, might see religion... and no religious wars were started. All I can say is - thanks! Thanks for all of the wonderful posts and interesting and stimulating reading. Thanks for the fun, too - I love everyone's humor

And thanks to everyone who has offered to contribute monetarily, but I've got it covered for the SaGC Collection (Chopingal and Coley and 1speed have already chipped in).

So... what's next? Uber (and Kat, I think) had a great idea of getting together a small collection of photo-graphic artwork and/or poetry and such and sending that to AT from the thread... That would make a wonderful gift... Kat's new banner... and Uber's new banner... (both posted after I was finished printing the Collection) immediately come to mind...

I will leave the orchestration of this project to others more artistic than I
                I was the doof who said several weeks ago that this was getting to be too big, it might seem like freaky fan obsession...yadda yadda...

But like General Hammond said to Bregman at the end of Heroes 2: "I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong. I'm glad you stuck with it."

That's how I feel. Except for the being a man part.

I never expected this kind of professional binding and presentation. Well done!

I am of course banned from greening you at the moment...CURSE YOU KEEPERS OF GREEN FOR YOUR STINGINESS!!!!!

I can only give you a feast of Jello...both BLUE and GREEN:

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                  Here are a few more pics of Amanda from Monday night's Sci-Fi Inside show.

Sci-FI Inside
                  Thanks for posting the pictures. It was really great seeing AT in so much of the special. I really liked the bit with the Saturn Award. We got to see her in one of the new sets built for this season, in both blue and black BDU's, plus in civilian clothes. It got me more excited about going to Comic Con this weekend. They are showing the first new episodes of SG1, Atlantis and BSG Friday night on large screens and then on Saturday the SG1 is now including AT, Ben B, Beau B, and CJ. The MGM both will also have one of the Stargates at their booth. Dan Shea was telling us this weekend that when he was at the studio last week they were packing up one of the Stargates so they could have it at the booth in San Deigo.
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

((((((((((((astro)))))))))))) You did an amazing work on the SaGC Collection, I'm sure Amanda will love it. Thanks a lot for taking on your time to create the book, and thanks a lot to all those who contributed, you guys are incredible, you're the best !

By the way, where is the "kitty" ? I'd like to contribute

Comment

Sorry if this is kinda off-topic, but I'm kinda proud of myself, and I wanted to make a big deal of it here because I knew some of you would understand where I'm coming from...

IT'S MY 1000th POST!!!!!!!!

WHOO HOO!

OK. That is all. Thank you for indulging me there.

But I have to ask... What happens now?

Comment

As a member of the Royal Court of Samanda, I believe it is my duty to point out when a Samandan ventures into dangerous territory and defends our fair queen to the likes of an absolute <fill in euphamism of your choice> who for some reason does not see her majesty in the same way we do...(of course, he/she has a right to his/her completely ridiculous opinion...)

So now, straight from the Browder's character should OUTRANK Carter thread, I give you THE SPAZMEISTER!!!!!

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        Originally posted by Lightsabre
                        Carter is not unfit for command. She's just bad at it.(Please do not flame this,. IF you disagree fine, but DON'T attack me over it).
                        ALmost without fail, when she is in the leadership position, she fails to assert herself, makes BAD judgement calls, hesitates and basically balls it all up.
                        Blame the writing if you must, she's just not command material. Put her in a lab and she's fine, but in the field, she's more of a follower.
                        THat's NOT an insult. Not everyone is a leader. and really, this world needs followers as well. Teal'c is a leader, Daniel is not. Neither observation is an insult to either char.
                        *Back from a long absence. Can't wait to see how Friday goes down in this thread and in others.*

Hey, Lightsabre? Could you bring some examples into that little statement, please? You know... just to make it more credible. No need to take this as an attack... I just want to understand where you're coming from. Think of this as a discussion. For adults.

Just a warning... I'm nothing if not thorough.

First, let's look at Spirits. This was Sam's first command after Jack was hit by a trinium arrow and was hospitalized. The mission? To find the lost SG-11 and gain some ground on some important trinium ore. Not only did Sam find SG-11 (despite the fact that Tonane asks them to talk to animals), but she got them home safely so they could ask Hammond about what to do about Tonane's people and the trinium situation. However, it's Hammond's attitude (he wanted to take it once they migrated) that got the SGC into trouble when the powerful aliens who had stowed away overheard the conversation. If I'm not mistaken, Daniel AND Sam were opposed to the idea.

Now, Sam was beamed away like several other SGC members, which allowed Jack to suddenly make a miraculous recovery and save the day. Whoot.

Going back a bit, let's look at Season One's Hathor. It's by no means an average fan's favorite, but it touches on that bit about biology that Sam mentioned in COTG. Sam wasn't officially given command, but she was the next obvious choice seeing as how the men were... otherwise occupied. In this case, Sam, Janet, Teal'c, and the few other women around the base ended up saving the men from being Jaffa-fied and the planet from being overrun by the Goddess of Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll.

Bumping up to Season Three's Foothold, Sam's (and essentially Teal'c's) own curse ended up being the only thing that kept the aliens from assuming the identity of everyone in the SGC and taking over the world. Again, Sam wasn't given official command, but desperate times... In this case, she followed her gut and got a hold of Maybourne, followed her gut again in not trusting the alien versions of Jack and Daniel, and followed her scientific gut in finding a way to reverse the effects the aliens have. Another catastrophe averted because Sam managed to stay on her toes.

We pretty much don't see anything else until Season Six's Nightwalkers. Again, many fans would agree that it could have been better, but hey so could have "Shades of Grey." Anyway... Sam was officially leading the team. They found out what's going on in the small town. They figured out how to stop it, Sam was mini-Goa'ulded, but managed to kill it with the chemical they'd found, and played Goa'uld up until the end - which is where she eliminated everyone involved and was able to provide a great deal of damage control in the small town.

Paradise Lost shows Sam in command. Her treatment of Dr. Lee was harsh, but her expectations for that team weren't any higher than what she'd placed for herself - no matter who it was being found.

Season Seven's Evolution Part II had Sam officially leading the mission, although Jacob and Bra'tac were definitely in charge. Nevertheless, Sam had her moments, and she and Teal'c could both say that they delayed Anubis' little Super Soldier factory for the time being. And, as they were quick to point out, they all made it out alive.

The Lost City, also known as the best episode of season seven , was a bit crazy. A lot of stuff happened. Jack didn't relinquish command until right before he stopped talking altogether. What did Sam do wrong in this episode?

New Order Part I. I suppose it all went to pot when Sam was beamed up into Fifth's ship because of her actions from a year before - actions that involved her following a direct order. A direct order given by Jack. An understandable and logical order given by Jack, but a direct order, nonetheless. Still don't see what Sam did wrong here, but maybe you could tell me.

Season Eight's Zero Hour showed Sam in command for approximately 30 seconds, but it was clear that Sam did nothing wrong in her attempt to get the team back to the Gate. They had no knowledge of what had been going on while they were underground. They'd found Anubis' secret base (mission objective), but were unable to get out again - as is usual when dealing with SG-1. The only reason why the SGC was so easily deceived was because Ba'al's people intercepted radio chatter - and THAT was most likely SG-3's, considering SG-1 was incommunicado. What did Sam do wrong here? Well, I suppose she failed to predict the future. That can be pretty annoying sometimes.

Icon showed Sam in command for slightly longer than 30 seconds. I'd say at least five or ten minutes. Now, it should be noted that Sam led SGs 3, 6 and 12 to successfully find Daniel and new allies, and infiltrate the secret facility that held the lovely cult leader.

In Affinity, Sam and Daniel (and Pete) helped clear Teal'c for murder and kidnapping. They find out about The Trust. Sam does nothing in this episode that jeopardizes the lives of other people.

Covenant got Sam some national air time while she helped deceive the world WITHOUT really deceiving it about the existence of aliens. Her quick delivery on live television publicly discredited the big-mouth billionnaire, and she ended up convincing the brilliant (albeit naive) scientist to join the SGC's side.

Gemini. Sam got too close to the situation and let her emotions get in the way (compare this to Jack's behavior in "Red Sky" or "The Other Side"). She didn't go against Jack's orders, and Jack's own desire to trust Sam and get the information clouded his initial judgment as well.

It's Good To Be King: Her leadership was interrupted by a rather welcome implementation of Jack, but her handling of the situation up to that point was spot on. She probably should have shot Maybourne just for GP, though.

The Reckonings. I'm lost here. We all know how that panned out. So, can you tell me what she did that "balled up" that mission? Was it before or after she and Jacob deciphered the weapon on Dakara and wiped out the Replicators?

Hmmm... Now that I look at all of these instances, I think I see what you're saying here... Sam is definitely bad at any sort of command.
                        For you SPAZ, first, a round of applause from the audience...

...and then a heaping bunch of blue jello!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all give it up for THE DANCER OF SPAZ!!!

I encourage all like-minded Samandans to go and show your appreciation for this brilliant post (that is of course if your green keepers are in a giving mood today).

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Uber; 12 July 2005, 03:43 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          As a member of the Royal Court of Samanda, I believe it is my duty to point out when a Samandan ventures into dangerous territory and defends our fair queen to the likes of an absolute <fill in euphamism of your choice> who for some reason does not see her majesty in the same way we do...(of course, he/she has a right to his/her completely ridiculous opinion...)

So now, straight from the Browder's character should OUTRANK Carter thread, I give you THE SPAZMEISTER!!!!!

For you SPAZ, first, a round of applause from the audience...

...and then a heaping bunch of blue jello!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all give it up for THE DANCER OF SPAZ!!!

I encourage all like-minded Samandans to go and show your appreciation for this brilliant post (that is of course if your green keepers are in a giving mood today).

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

Let it be known that the Dancer of Spaz has been awarded the Royal Command and Control (of the situation) Medal for her intrepid defense of the Queen's honor and for her very own 1,000th Post!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rolBadgeAF.jpg

Splendid work in the field!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Kudos and heartfelt thanks to our Keeper of the Flame, Astrogeologist, for a stupendously superb job!

This was a labor of love from the beginning ... what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful actress.

Years from now, when little Olivia (and her brothers and sisters?!) asks: "what did you do when you went to work, mommy?" Amanda can pull this tome off the shelf and sit and look and laugh and share with her family.

I am so proud to be connected with this project and with all of you, my wonderful fellow Samandans. Our feelings for AT have been translated into a book of memories. I would love to see her reaction as she opens and slowly realizes that this bound book is her story, Sam's story! I don't think we could have presented a finer gift!

Hic comitas regit!

Gosh, I'm feeling happy! Astro, how can we ever thank you enough?!
                            i feel the same way about this, chopingal. when i first saw it, all together, i gasped and almost cried. all the time and LOVE put into this... i wish i could see amanda's face when she sees this masterpiece.

thank you, astro, from the bottom of my heart.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Samandans ... if you want to meet Amanda in person, here's the rescheduling info on GABIT!

It will now be held the weekend of October 28-30 at the Renaissance Hotel near Heathrow airport, London.

Please go directly to the GABIT website for full details:

www.gabitevents.co.uk
                              .... i suppose if i start walking *now*, i'll make it by then... and seeing as i live in california, i better start learning to hold my breath a loooong time for when i cross the ocean....

where's a stargate when you need one!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for voting in the Favorite Episodes Tournament! But your support is still needed. The game is in Round 28 now. Grace is already gone, and I hate to see any more Sam-centric eps voted out.

Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...?t=12889&page=1
                                Bloodlines was eliminated in Round 27.

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thanks, Samanda!

Comment

Working...
                                X