Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lida
    Snarky? Our Royal Pharmacist snarky???? Never, I just will NEVER believe it. Surely you are just feeling the combined "antsy-ness" of the entire Forum, as the night of the Premiere's draws ever closer.
    And add to that that I have to wait waaaaayyyy longer than you for the Premiere.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
      Has anyone seen the new Stargate Primer on GW ? It is for the new fans, the ones that don't know what happened for the last 8 seasons. There is a bio for all the principal characters, and the seasons, and all and all.

To see about Sam, http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...hapter08.shtml

The "brains" of SG-1 is Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping. Carter is a brilliant astrophysicist, an accomplished Air Force pilot, and the world's leading authority on the Stargate. She is sensitive to personal and moral issues, but committed to her duty and the chain of command.
      After flying missions in Operation Desert Storm, Carter worked for two years at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., trying to make the Stargate program a reality. When Daniel Jackson opened the gate and interstellar travel possible, Sam joined the S.G.C. as a member of its flagship unit -- SG-1.

Sam's father Jacob Carter was a retired U.S. Air Force General, who blended with a Tok'ra (a member of a group of rebel Goa'uld who have allied with Earth against the Goa'uld) named Selmak in order to save his life from cancer. Jacob served as a liaison between Earth and the Tok'ra for six years, helping SG-1 in countless vital missions before his recent death. His symbiote died of old age, and Jacob's commitment to holding on to his friend and saving the galaxy one last time resulted in his own death, as well.

Colonel Carter is the one to turn to when questions arise about the Stargate and its functions, wormhole physics, cosmology, and more. She is also a passionate woman, who is fiercely loyal to her team and immensely capable of doing her job.

SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
      Spoiler:
      She shares personal feelings with Jack O'Neill, but the two have reached an understanding that they cannot act on their feelings so long as they serve in the military together.

After a string of romantic interests who met a grizzly end (Jonas Hansen, Martouf, Orlin, Joe Faxon, Narim), Carter found a steady boyfriend -- a detective from Colorado named Pete Shanahan (David DeLuise). The two were even engaged, but Sam recently broke off their relationship. It is likely that her muted relationship with Jack O'Neill will continue, with the General's new position in Homeworld Security still being over Sam in the chain of command -- though recently they appear to have reached an understanding that they won't be happy with anyone else.

Seems like they don't intend to develop the ship between Sam and Jack, keep maintaining the status quo. Funny. There's no mention of the ship on Jack's bio. Why do ships always end-up on the female side ?
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Thought you all might be interested in seeing the actual gauge on Sam's motorcycle........

On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
          Sorry if I offended you. I'm guilty of beeing in snarky mode tonight.
          And I didn't notice anything like that in Death Knell, The First Ones or Enemy Mine. In fact I enjoyed them.
          You didn't offend me! I'm just royally confused! It happens from time to time and then it gradually passes. Some time tonight, I'll be minding my own business and watching the Inside SciFi Friday special when BAM... it'll come to me. No doubt my friend/roommate will think of yet ANOTHER thing to add to her list of "Spaz's Idiosyncracies."

No seriously... Got any examples of when one chews the scenery?

And is Hic Comitas Regit latin or something? Hmmm...

Comment

PS - Rogue... Your little picture, dude almost gave me a heart attack!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              You didn't offend me! I'm just royally confused! It happens from time to time and then it gradually passes. Some time tonight, I'll be minding my own business and watching the Inside SciFi Friday special when BAM... it'll come to me. No doubt my friend/roommate will think of yet ANOTHER thing to add to her list of "Spaz's Idiosyncracies."

Yes, Hic Comitas Regit is Latin...and my once very quick mind, now dulled by years of over use (deep sigh), can't remember who came up with the original idea.....someone, a little help for the aged and infirm, please?

Edit: I've just spent the last 10 minutes going back through this thread, looking for the person who originally came up with the idea for the motto, and I can't find it! We sure do POST ALOT!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by Lida; 11 July 2005, 03:17 PM.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                Yes, Hic Comitas Regit is Latin...and my once very quick mind, now dulled by years of over use (deep sigh), can't remember who came up with the original idea.....someone, a little help for the aged and infirm, please?

Edit: I've just spent the last 10 minutes going back through this thread, looking for the person who originally came up with the idea for the motto, and I can't find it! We sure do POST ALOT!!!!!!!!!!
                Lida and Dancer of Spaz, this marvelous motto came from ChopinGal. There's lots of discussion back around page 529 (approx.) and the final blessing on page 530. Here's ChopinGal's post...

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Thanks, everyone, for approving the motto. It actually gets even better than I thought ... I just spent some web time on various Latin translation sites to make sure that we are saying what we want to ... and here's what I found:

"comitas" can be translated as not just kindness, but also courtesy, friendliness, and civility or good will

"regit" can be translated as not just reigns, but rules, directs, and guides

So, I'm LOL because I don't think that we've found the motto of Samanda at all ... I think the motto found us! All these words seem to apply!

Let's keep with the original though as it reflects our Queen's own philosophy:

HIC COMITAS REGIT ... KINDNESS REIGNS HERE

Kat, a lovely new postcard of the kingdom and its official motto! Now, Samandans, find some flag designs and share here so we can finalize the flag and apply the motto!
                Last edited by SamFan31; 11 July 2005, 03:40 PM.

Comment

PS - Rogue... Your little picture, dude almost gave me a heart attack!
                  Sorry, I just thought it was a approprate reply for the Historians post. It really pisses me off when Sam is treated that way.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
                    Has anyone seen the new Stargate Primer on GW ? It is for the new fans, the ones that don't know what happened for the last 8 seasons. There is a bio for all the principal characters, and the seasons, and all and all.

To see about Sam, http://www.gateworld.net/articles/f...chapter08.shtml

The "brains" of SG-1 is Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping. Carter is a brilliant astrophysicist, an accomplished Air Force pilot, and the world's leading authority on the Stargate. She is sensitive to personal and moral issues, but committed to her duty and the chain of command.
                    After flying missions in Operation Desert Storm, Carter worked for two years at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., trying to make the Stargate program a reality. When Daniel Jackson opened the gate and interstellar travel possible, Sam joined the S.G.C. as a member of its flagship unit -- SG-1.

Sam's father Jacob Carter was a retired U.S. Air Force General, who blended with a Tok'ra (a member of a group of rebel Goa'uld who have allied with Earth against the Goa'uld) named Selmak in order to save his life from cancer. Jacob served as a liaison between Earth and the Tok'ra for six years, helping SG-1 in countless vital missions before his recent death. His symbiote died of old age, and Jacob's commitment to holding on to his friend and saving the galaxy one last time resulted in his own death, as well.

Colonel Carter is the one to turn to when questions arise about the Stargate and its functions, wormhole physics, cosmology, and more. She is also a passionate woman, who is fiercely loyal to her team and immensely capable of doing her job.

SPOILERS (Highlight below to read)POILERS (Highlight below to read):
                    She shares personal feelings with Jack O'Neill, but the two have reached an understanding that they cannot act on their feelings so long as they serve in the military together.

After a string of romantic interests who met a grizzly end (Jonas Hansen, Martouf, Orlin, Joe Faxon, Narim), Carter found a steady boyfriend -- a detective from Colorado named Pete Shanahan (David DeLuise). The two were even engaged, but Sam recently broke off their relationship. It is likely that her muted relationship with Jack O'Neill will continue, with the General's new position in Homeworld Security still being over Sam in the chain of command -- though recently they appear to have reached an understanding that they won't be happy with anyone else.

Seems like they don't intend to develop the ship between Sam and Jack, keep maintaining the status quo. Funny. There's no mention of the ship on Jack's bio. Why do ships always end-up on the female side ?
                    Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    First of all, if the writer can't differentiate between a bear hug and a gruesome end, s/he's already lost credibility in my book!

Secondly, the inclusion of "relationship material" for one of the involved parties (Sam) but not for the other (Jack) really ticks me off. It takes two to tango, folks! After eight seasons of Sam taking the heat for her "emotions and UST re: Jack", let's at least have the guts to write copy that infers he also is interested in Sam!! His relationships with women have had their ups and downs too (why aren't these gals named like Sam's entourage?!).

Let's suppose, from the few hinted (somewhat canonical) moments in Threads and Moebius 2, that O'Neill is finally coming to his senses and admitting his devotion to Carter. Since TPTB aren't going to take a risk (which would be applauded by mature independent women and half the fanbase) by relieving Jack of command over his former 2IC, then at least acknowledge that Carter and O'Neill have come to some kind of mature and honorable arrangement about their present status (regs) and future possibilities (retirement or re-assignment). Holy Hannah! Can this semi-canon be inserted into both Stargate biographies?

Balance and fairness, folks! That's all I'm asking!

And, Spaz, yes those cloying lines of "sensitivity to personal and moral issues" and "immensely capable of doing her job" somehow aren't ringing true to me either.
                    I agree. If you acknowledge a relationship in one character's bio, it ought to be acknowledged in the other. Those phrases seem designed to placate women.....like Moebius 2 was supposed to be a "victory for the shippers." Neither one hits the mark. Both strike me as patronizing. Equity in bios!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      I will tape the special tomorrow about "SciFi Friday", but I think I'll wait to watch it til after Friday--I don't want spoilers. What are the rest of you going to do?
                      I'm absolutely going to watch for the behind the scenes stuff. But I don't really think they're going to give any spoilers away.
                      Originally posted by jckfan55
                      There is some nice stuff about AT in the thread asking questions of Nathan the guy who won last year's "Get in the gate" contest.
                      Could you post the link to that thread?
                      Originally posted by dmovies
                      Well, her Dad did die there. Then she broke off her engagement to Pete, only to have Jack take a posting in Washington with nary a word of goodbye to her. Any woman would feel like an idiot after that!!
                      Oh, there was lots of talk and plenty of "good-bye" between Sam and Jack over that D.C. posting. It just wasn't televised!
                      Originally posted by majorsal
                      i am *totally* glad we spent some time in sam's psyche. she went through a 'am i alone? i don't want to be alone. i want to know what love is' crisis. and now she's come to terms with things.

NOW, i want to see some serious sam in command of her professional life too! but let's not ignore the progress of 'threads'

sally
                      As usual, you crystallize the discussion perfectly!

Comment

Hello!? Am I here alone this early in the evening? Because there was about 20 minutes between the first two posts I made above.

Where is everyone? Am I stuck alone on the Promethesus? My head hurts! Jack? Is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          I agree. If you acknowledge a relationship in one character's bio, it ought to be acknowledged in the other. Those phrases seem designed to placate women.....like Moebius 2 was supposed to be a "victory for the shippers." Neither one hits the mark. Both strike me as patronizing. Equity in bios!

Who is in charge of The Stargate Primer? Is this Darren and David? Can we ask them to make the information more balanced between Sam and Jack? Either have the info about their feelings in both character info guides, or don't mention it. It just feeds the fire that Sam has feelings for him, but Jack (the guy) ---well who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            Yeah i was abit :| at reading that too. Coming from a non-shipper POV, its kinda annoying to read something like that (which has pretty much been played subjectively all the way through the series) written as fact

Comment

MS does chew the scenery more than the rest of the cast. Think of some of the scenes when Daniel get's really passionate--usually when he's telling Jack they just have to stay to "save these people!"

Comment

Thanks to dipsofjazz, for posting the link to Amanda's interview in SFX and to AstroG for putting it on this thread. It was a really good interview. It reaffirms once again my appreciation for AT---she has mentioned missing RDA in several interviews, including TV Guide, and in this one mentions how it felt to be back with MS and CJ. She also talked positively about the new energy on the show. She is a class act. She balances the old with the new. I appreciate this. I think Sam will do the same on her return---balance out the exciting new part with the familar and comforting old SG-1, at least for me.

Foreversg1--your picture of AT and Emerson's quote are perfect together.

I am bummed about the shortening of the credits! I love the opening theme---I can't believe we won't be hearing that in season 9. It seems to me to be a slap to the three long-time regulars. Once RDA is gone, Scifi figures they can cut the opening credits, and that affects the actors' name recognition.

I also read at another place that a fan asked MS about the credits. He said BB would be first ---and, although not completely clear, it would then be MS and Beau Bridges would get the "and" at the end. If this is true, it pisses me off. Nothing against BB at all, but I cannot see why he should go ahead of the original three. And If this is true, where is AT in all this? I guess if a woman decides to go on maternity leave to return full-time (even after giving 8 years to the show), she gets penalized. So goes the ways of the male dominated workplace. Those pesky women--they actually have to give birth---that doesn't fit into our schedule. Note--this ordering of the credits may not be true, but if it is, it's going to bug me---ALOT.

Comment

Working...
                                X