Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Okay, it was a lot easier trying to come up with something that didn't have Sam in it, and I did it in PaintShop Pro this time, with which I am much more familiar.

So here's another try, and I like this one a lot better.

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samflag.gif
    Great flag Strix ! I like it.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      OK !

My attempt to a Samandan flag. Please be kind, I'm not a great artist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag.jpg
      Yowza! This is definitely a contender - the motto, the colors, the Queen, the SGC symbol ... merci beaucoup! C'est magnifique!

Would it be possible to write the entire motto just across the lower orange stripe? It may be more fluid that way and not break up the design ... what do you think? Can you give us a second sample like that to compare? And, maybe, insert a tiny blue jello where the "Hic" and "regit" used to be?!

Keep playing with this!

Comment

A variation on a similar theme... but I think I'm done for the day. I'll never be a graphic artist.

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samflag1.gif

My LJ

Comment

A variation on a similar theme... but I think I'm done for the day. I'll never be a graphic artist.

Wow - you guys are amazing! More orange on this one, please, but, overall, another strong idea/contender!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Yowza! This is definitely a contender - the motto, the colors, the Queen, the SGC symbol ... merci beaucoup! C'est magnifique!

Would it be possible to write the entire motto just across the lower orange stripe? It may be more fluid that way and not break up the design ... what do you think? Can you give us a second sample like that to compare? And, maybe, insert a tiny blue jello where the "Hic" and "regit" used to be?!

Keep playing with this!
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag1.jpg

Thanks ChopinGal ! Here's the one with the motto on the orange strip. I'm going to try one with some blue jello now, if Astro agrees that I borrow hers of course !

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              For me, it would be out of character for Carter to leave the military. Although she is a scientist first, the military is as much a part of her, IMO. I would hate to see her leave her AF career---it isn't easy for a woman to get promoted to Lt. Col, and her military/piloting skills are also integral to her character and add to what makes her tick. And for me I like having two military and two non-military on the team.
              Well stated chocdoc!
              I agree with all of you ... and, to use a well-worn cliche, "one picture is worth a thousand words". The whole look of Sam Carter in the new group promo photo shows confidence, competence, and such presence!

"Don't tread on me" ... let's hope that the real Sam Carter will be stepping through that Stargate with all the spunk and spark we've been missing in the latter seasons! AT looks like she is definitely ready to rock and roll!
              I agree - I like the look on Sam/AT's face in that group pic (with Landry in the center). The whole team looks competent and ready to take on what comes... and just generally pretty bad-a$$ in those cool black BDUs and gear.
              Thanks, everyone, for approving the motto. It actually gets even better than I thought ... I just spent some web time on various Latin translation sites to make sure that we are saying what we want to ... and here's what I found:

"comitas" can be translated as not just kindness, but also courtesy, friendliness, and civility or good will

"regit" can be translated as not just reigns, but rules, directs, and guides

So, I'm LOL because I don't think that we've found the motto of Samanda at all ... I think the motto found us! All these words seem to apply!

Let's keep with the original though as it reflects our Queen's own philosophy:

HIC COMITAS REGIT ... KINDNESS REIGNS HERE

Kat, a lovely new postcard of the kingdom and its official motto! Now, Samandans, find some flag designs and share here so we can finalize the flag and apply the motto!
              Wonderful Chopingal!

Originally posted by smurf
              J'aime Sam, aussi.
              I thought I'd try and follow the current language theme of this thread (badly).

Hello.
              I have a question/request, and I'd thought I'd post here because who else would know the delightful Sam best.
              I'm stewing a fic at the moment which is Sam centric, but I want to see if what I'm thinking is right or very far off centre character wise. So what I'd like is a little help finishing this sentence from Sam's POV:

Life would be so much easier if....

Obvious example being, "there weren't these dang regs". It can be silly or serious, but preferably a bit more away from the 'ship issue.

Also, has she ever lost anyone when she has been in command (not inc. Daniel ) like members of other teams.
              I'm thinking no, but I just want to check.
              Welcome aboard, Smurf! Looking forward to your Samfic when you post it - please post a link to it on this thread
              Love the question that you posed... am mulling around for a good answer...
              And LOL at 'Imagine pretty picture here ->'

Comment

For ChopinGal, another flag with the blue jello :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag2.jpg

Comment

one thing against sam leaving the military. if she did, then cam would definitely out rank her because, since the sgc is a military facility, a military officer ranks a civilian
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Now, Samandans, find some flag designs and share here so we can finalize the flag and apply the motto!
                    I'm not a herald, and this was my first attempt at using Photoshop, but perhaps it will spur some other people to come up with better ideas:

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samandaflag.jpg
                    Good job, Strix! Although, with a motto like "Kindness reigns here", do you think we may want to show AT in less battle-ready attire?!

That's something we may have to address ... I love her "Don't tread on me" image though ... hmmm ...

Feedback from the citizens? Should Sam Carter's image appear on the royal flag and how should she look?

Keep those flags and ideas comin', folks!
                    How about Pilot/Astronaut Sam? Sam in a flightsuit? When Sam's flying I get the feeling of exploration and adventure that I so love in her character - and in scifi in general. The image of the Earth from space helps show both that exploration of space - as well as the wonder of it all - as well as an appreciation for the Earth and how magical it all is.
                    Originally posted by Lys
                    OK !

My attempt to a Samandan flag. Please be kind, I'm not a great artist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag.jpg
                    Love the image of Sam superimposed on the Earth. And I think that's the shot of Sam that someone commented in an earlier post (weeks ago) about how intelligent she looks. Great smile too.
                    Okay, it was a lot easier trying to come up with something that didn't have Sam in it, and I did it in PaintShop Pro this time, with which I am much more familiar.

So here's another try, and I like this one a lot better.

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samflag.gif
                    Very cool, Strix... but I think it needs more of a Sam-feel to it (even if it doesn't have a pic of Sam)... perhaps a glass of blue jello?

This one has more of a Sam-feel to it
                    Originally posted by Lys
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag1.jpg

Thanks ChopinGal ! Here's the one with the motto on the orange strip. I'm going to try one with some blue jello now, if Astro agrees that I borrow hers of course !
                    Great job - and I agree with Chopin about having all three words on the same line. And you may use any of the blue jello pics that I have - my photogallery is here. Blue Jello pics are mostly on pages 2, 3 and 9 (I think).
                    Originally posted by Lys

Nice!

Comment

Here's a pic of the Stargate that I took from the DVD box (If anyone wants to use it in any photographics, be my guest).

Comment

LOL Yippee ... another Samandan who may take the plunge and fly to London for GABIT! I just heard from one of the GABIT organizers who says that they are busy "behind the scenes" corresponding with AT and deciding on exactly when her schedule will allow for the event to be rescheduled (for the third, and I certainly hope, the last time)! Will keep you all posted if I hear anything specific.

Perhaps Coley and 1speed4Sam can use their mountain bikes and cycle in to London for the event too! (Hint, hint!)

Tara and her hubby are coming; my daughter and I should be still registered. And, depending on the target date, we will either be able to recommit and maybe Sky and Sue C., her fanfic friend, will be able to come too.

We can book a table for Samanda if all goes well!
                        That’s spooky, CG - the Royal Accountant and I were talking about GABIT only yesterday. Anyone would think you had inside knowledge…

Anyway, subject to dates and ticket availability, I believe we'd both be up for it, although we’d probably choose a slightly less contentious mode of transport to get there - I‘m sure you wouldn‘t want to spend the whole event listening to us bickering about… sorry, *debating* the relative merits of our chosen steeds.

And great motto - I approve whole-heartedly.

1s4S
                        Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 03 July 2005, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

Er, Lys - I presume you've OK'd the Blue/White/Orange bar design with the nice people at VISA?

Just checking...

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                            Er, Lys - I presume you've OK'd the Blue/White/Orange bar design with the nice people at VISA?

Just checking...

1s4S
                            Nope ! I borrowed Sam's one ! You know the one Orlin used to pay for "everything you need to build a mini stargate"

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              Nope ! I borrowed Sam's one ! You know the one Orlin used to pay for "everything you need to build a mini stargate"
                              Ah, well, um, that's OK then. I hadn't realised the full significance, as I've only watched Season 1 as far as "Tin Man" so far. Please accept my humble apologies.

Guess I need to speed up my education a bit...

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                                Guess I need to speed up my education a bit...

1s4S
                                That will be easy since you "speed for Sam"

Comment

Working...
                                X