Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=binkpmmc]
    Originally posted by jckfan55

I saw that question but it seems to me that they are the same rank so they can call each ther by their names, or however they want to address each other, and they did that to show parity between the two. Just like they made Janet a Major after Carter was promoted so they could continue to call each other by thier first names and just like Jack called some of his friends and colleagues of equal rank by their first names. In addition, articles, interviews, plus on the AJM boards, etc., they have addressed Carter as either Lt. Colonel or Colonel Carter - I have absolutely no doubt she is still in the military. mitchell and Carter are the same rank so they call each other by first names regardless of who is in charge - IF, and I stress that in my mind it is a very big IF at this point, mitchell is in charge there is no way Carter would ever call him Sir and the fans would never accept that and likewise, with a guy of bb's "stature" they would never bring him on and have him address Carter as Sir or Ma'am because it would not fit so they are equal rank.

The only question left, IMO, is who is in charge upon Carter's return and the "resume her duties" has just about sealed it for me. The mallozzi answer by citing Beach Head is just him being "coy" again even though he knows Carter has been referred to as Lt. Colonel in articles, interviews, by other PTB and by himself, in past comments. He, as well as others, love to jerk the fans and this is how they do it. IMO, it is also his rather annoying little way of trying to get people to watch. I find it rather tiresome that they answer the same question a dozen times and each time they answer it differently. It is one of the reasons I have lost faith in TPTB.

I think you are right that they didn't want Carter saying "sir" to the new guy (some of my friends said the same thing---they would be pissed if she had to do this with the new character), and I think having Mitchell saying Ma'am or sir to Carter might not seem right either.

I don't think they will have Carter out of the military either, at least I hope not. I think they would want to have at least two military on the team. I am trying to think of a good reason why she would leave the military now after being Lt. Colonel, and I can't come up with a believable one for the character at this time. I am hoping for mutual respect between Mitchell and Carter, and I think that is what we will get.

I do have a friend that was in the military and she said that when you are the same rank, you can address each other by first name (like Janet and Sam).

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      In regards to sky's friendly little challenge, isn't AT a long-distance runner? I'm trying to remember when and where I heard that, but I distinctly remember AT saying it's "a lonely sport" or something along those lines... Hmmm...

*Raises eyebrows in Daniel-like fashion*
      Ah, anyway so I guess Sam's a runner. She runs to relax, runs to burn off some steam when she knows not to take on Teal'c.

While I agree that she probably thought Jake Weber to be QUITE handsome, I'd like to think that she has a secret stash of Carol Burnett DVDs somewhere where the guys can't find them, heh heh...
      Let me join in the fun ... AT has a personal trainer and was prepping for a possible go at the New York marathon but then got pregnant. She laughingly implied that this got her off the hook and she didn't have to fret about the competition. Can't remember which mag interview but it was vintage AT humor. And, yes, Carol Burnett is one of her favorite comediennes/actors.

So, I like Sam running as a hobby and stashing her CB tapes and watching them late at night and LOL. (CB = Carol Burnett, not the hussy in the shrink-wrap SGC jacket!)

But Sam has a real passion for one television series: JAG ... and has written fan letters to TPTB asking them how they could tease their fan base for years with all that UST between Harm and Mac ... Sam finds it hard to believe that two adults in the military could act like lovesick teenagers and not finally do something about it (cough) ....

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        But Sam has a real passion for one television series: JAG ... and has written fan letters to TPTB asking them how they could tease their fan base for years with all that UST between Harm and Mac ... Sam finds it hard to believe that two adults in the military could act like lovesick teenagers and not finally do something about it (cough) ....
        Haha, you forgot one thing - JAG is Navy, and the Air-Force and the Navy have always been rivals

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Haha, you forgot one thing - JAG is Navy, and the Air-Force and the Navy have always been rivals
          How true ... oh Royal Head of Security ... in love and war ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../GraceKiss.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/JAGKiss.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ellComfort.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...JAGComfort.jpg

but duty and honor prevail!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/SJDress.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/JAGDress.jpg
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 29 June 2005, 04:47 AM.

Comment

i doubt sam or jack have been promoted. it's too soon
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
              As Teal'c would say - Indeed

To help you out how about Caption This

*With acknowledgements to dispofjazz and her ROFLMAO-mungous "Jaffa opera" caption*

*sigh* Why does Teal'c have to play his Mariah Carey CD so loud?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                i doubt sam or jack have been promoted. it's too soon
                The picture of Jack and Daniel from "Origin" shows something.
                sigpic

Comment

Whee.. look at that extra star... and here ends my futile pondering on how Jack could be head of homeworld security while Landry outranked him...
                  sigpic

Comment

Dedicated to All Our Milestone Posters Tonight! Congrats!

Twenty Questions

Will Sam be in charge again
                    Or stand aside for Big Bad Ben?
                    Will Sam kick butt?
                    And come out of her emotional rut?

Will Sam get promoted?
                    And where is it noted
                    That Area 51 is Sam's domain
                    While Cam and Vala inflict some pain?

Will Sam's ship finally come in?
                    Or will Sam bear and grin
                    The loss of Jack her best CO?
                    Now out of sight, alas, oh woe

Just what's our Sam gonna spout
                    And find to tech talk all about
                    When her feet hit the floor
                    And she, at last, walks through that door?

Will Sam wear boots?
                    Will she wear leather?
                    Deal with how and whether
                    SG1 will be together?

What's her take
                    On her new crew?
                    And will her jello
                    Still be blue?

Will Sam go hand-in-hand
                    And beat some dude?
                    Or will Sam be diplomatic first
                    Rather than snarky, rude?

How will Sam handle loss?
                    Will she make a tough and able boss?
                    Will Sam be ready to meet any test?
                    Right now it's just our best guess ...

How much of Sam will get to shine
                    As Carter rolls in for Season Nine?
                    Will she once more grace the Gate?

What we know, without debate,
                    Is that Samantha Carter
                    Is worth the wait!
                    Oh oh, this is good Chopingal. Real good
                    sigpic
                    There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                    If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                    If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                    If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Dedicated to All Our Milestone Posters Tonight! Congrats!

Twenty Questions

Will Sam be in charge again
                      Or stand aside for Big Bad Ben?
                      Will Sam kick butt?
                      And come out of her emotional rut?

Will Sam get promoted?
                      And where is it noted
                      That Area 51 is Sam's domain
                      While Cam and Vala inflict some pain?

Will Sam's ship finally come in?
                      Or will Sam bear and grin
                      The loss of Jack her best CO?
                      Now out of sight, alas, oh woe

Just what's our Sam gonna spout
                      And find to tech talk all about
                      When her feet hit the floor
                      And she, at last, walks through that door?

Will Sam wear boots?
                      Will she wear leather?
                      Deal with how and whether
                      SG1 will be together?

What's her take
                      On her new crew?
                      And will her jello
                      Still be blue?

Will Sam go hand-in-hand
                      And beat some dude?
                      Or will Sam be diplomatic first
                      Rather than snarky, rude?

How will Sam handle loss?
                      Will she make a tough and able boss?
                      Will Sam be ready to meet any test?
                      Right now it's just our best guess ...

How much of Sam will get to shine
                      As Carter rolls in for Season Nine?
                      Will she once more grace the Gate?

What we know, without debate,
                      Is that Samantha Carter
                      Is worth the wait!
                      Wonderful, Chopingal!

Comment

[QUOTE=tara3583]
                        Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

I really like that idea, also i remember reading an interview from Amanda a while ago that she said about Sam, she says that Sam was motivated by science it was the driving force of this woman so if tptb use this to move Sam along the road so to speak that what be fantastic!
                        Remember in COTG just how much like a kid in a candy store Sam looked like, i would love to see that combined with all what she has seen and done over the years.

As for the shipper in me, i'm waiting with bated breath to see where the next part of Sam and Jacks journey
                        OK, I'll come out of the closet (long enough to type this), I'm a shipper and my name is Atteria. Hi!

I wish I could believe that something IS going to happen (on or off screen) with Sam and Jack, but a recent response from the Great and Mighty Joe, made it pretty plain that ALL the writers are pretty "ambivalent" about the Sam/Jack ship. Doesn't bode well to me.

As for Sam being a scientist first and a soldier second. I think she's torn between her love of physics and her love of adventure. I really believe, that while she would be happy remaining in a lab, puttering, a large part of her would long for the action of exploring and being a part of the team. She is too much a "doer" to just sit and answer questions about the mysteries of the universe.

Just my opinion, and hey, I'm just a baker. Back to the kitchen!

Comment

[QUOTE=Atteria]
                          Originally posted by tara3583

OK, I'll come out of the closet (long enough to type this), I'm a shipper and my name is Atteria. Hi!

I wish I could believe that something IS going to happen (on or off screen) with Sam and Jack, but a recent response from the Great and Mighty Joe, made it pretty plain that ALL the writers are pretty "ambivalent" about the Sam/Jack ship. Doesn't bode well to me.

As for Sam being a scientist first and a soldier second. I think she's torn between her love of physics and her love of adventure. I really believe, that while she would be happy remaining in a lab, puttering, a large part of her would long for the action of exploring and being a part of the team. She is too much a "doer" to just sit and answer questions about the mysteries of the universe.

Just my opinion, and hey, I'm just a baker. Back to the kitchen!

LOL!!! i have this wonderful picture in my head of "The great and mighty Joe!"

But on with Sam, oh and spoilers for season nine so don't look if you don't want to be spoiled!
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          "
                          I really do hope that they use the science Sam and the action Sam in s9 as a really big part of why she is (if the spoilers are right) at area 51, i don't want to hear her babble on but i would love to see that bright eyed look that she had in COTG when she looks at somthing that is going to really rock the science world.

Grabing Atteria before she dives back into the closet, gives her a nice big hug, hi there fellow shipper!
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Hey all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. I did want to profusely thank all of you who provided lovely comments about my latest story.

I hate to clutter the list with a lot of thank you messages, so I hope you'll forgive the blanket message, but I want you to know that I do really, really appreciate the feedback.

Many, many hugs,
                            Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              Hey all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. I did want to profusely thank all of you who provided lovely comments about my latest story.

I hate to clutter the list with a lot of thank you messages, so I hope you'll forgive the blanket message, but I want you to know that I do really, really appreciate the feedback.

Many, many hugs,
                              Strix
                              Hopefully you've been gone b/c you're busy writing part 2!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                That's another thing, I'd rather Sam have command (or joint command) of SG-1 than not be on the team anymore. That'd be pretty sad.

Although, I'm sure that if AT were to leave the series after the ninth or tenth season or if the series were to end, it'd provide the perfect opportunity for Sam to go back to her first passion: Science. AT said somewhere (I'm sorry, I can't remember where) that she basically looks at Sam as a soldier, but mostly as a scientist. If all Ori and Goau'ld threats were eliminated, Sam was promoted to full colonel, and was then given full authority over Area 51 or the Alpha Site, I can totally see her jumping at the chance to do it.

Plus, you know... Everybody wins...
                                The problem with getting promoted is that it takes you out of the field (and I would think probably out of the lab) and into more administrative roles. So Lt. Colonel may be a good slot for Sam for a while. Of course knowing Sam, even if she were put in charge of Area 51, she'd still be doing a lot of the science herself. It will be interesting to see how she settles in with the new general.

BTW, I thought they handled Sam's promotion badly--a bunch of anti Sam types have said it looked like O'Neill did it on his own authority. I don't think it works that way. My interpretation was that she was due and Jack may have pushed for the paperwork to be expedited so he could make the announcement. When he said "I get to do cool stuff like this" I took it to mean make the announcement. What do others think?

Comment

Working...
                                X