Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memorable AT moment

in one of the showtime specials when she explained how jay acavone (kawalsky) gave her a concussion. she's walking or standing by a trailer and someone asks about it and she tells them and then goes 'so when you see sam slumping down all pathetic it's really amanda that's all pathetic there on the floor' and the way she accents her name is really funny

it's like a MAN daaaa
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

a MAN daaaa? heh heh... That's hilarious. I'm trying to hear it in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        'Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out'.. and that's what I don't understand about the spoilers leaked for Season 9... why would TPTB want to set up a situation where they have two polarized camps amongst their fanbase - one side that will be pissed if Carter doesn't get command, and another that will be pissed if Mitchell doesn't retain command when Carter returns. I don't understand setting up a situation that creates antagonism amongst the fans.

Either way someone's going to lose out - either Sam is Mitchell's 2IC, or he's hers.

Like you, Uber, I don't understand why a Stargate fan would want the newbie to take command over a long standing character.

I also want to see a woman portrayed as competently in command. With strong men under her command - men that respect her leadership - and show that respect appropriately and professionally. Amanda Tapping could be so wonderfully successful in such a role in Season 9.
        I feel like they didn't learn their lessons after the huge fight between Daniel and Jonas fans.
        Basically, they dismissed the idea of Jonas staying on the team when Daniel came back because they had similar roles. (Not my opinion, but that's for another thread. )
        And now, they bring us a new character Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell. Did they forget that Sam was promoted to the same rank ?
        Once Sam is back, there's obviously one of them who's going to lose on the leadership part. And if Sam and Cam have similar roles, why do they keep them on the same team ?
        And what's going to be the result ? Another war between fans ? I don't think the fandom needs it, so I'm not going to begin it. But like Uber and Astro said, I'd really be disappointed if Sam's role was reduced to Mitchell's 2IC.
        I'm not an expert on military matters, but is it possible that Sam becomes the ranking officer because of seniority in the grade ? If so, I really hope that's what the TPTB have in mind.

I want to see Sam in charge, I want to see her more confident with her new responsability, I want to see her struggle with hard decisions, I want to see that being in command also allows her to show her soft side, I want to see that it didn't destroy her friendship with the rest of the team and I want to see her build a strong friendship with Mitchell, one built upon respect and trust.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

You know you're a Stargate fan when.....

.....no matter what problem someone relates to you, the analogy that pops into your head is how something similar happened on Stargate: SG1.

My favorite on-set Amanda moment:

Has to be the Classic McGyver Rant, so brilliantly voiced by our own Amanda. No matter how often I hear it, I laugh out loud again!

Originally posted by Skydiver
          LOL

yes, i do have a bit of an attitude

this thread is my home. i think i post here more than any other list or even any other forum i may play in.

I recognize what they're doing. see it, acknowledge it. But once i know/feel that i'm being manipulated all that tends to do is make me run the other direction.

personally, the more they pimp ben and the 'better sg1' the more skeptical i am about it all. the more they promote it the more i'm thinking 'yeah, right' because in past years they haven't promoted and spun stuff as hard

I've watched them play the fans before. I've watched them word spoilers to set one group against another. i've watched them take one episode and turn it into the 'pivotal' episode. (they did that with threads last year. we saw the build up for 100 days or D&C)

in the past, it's been ship vs anti-ship for the most part. Now it seems to be Scapers vs Gaters

and, just like clockwork, things start to happen about a month before the new shows premiere. I can see the pattern and because of that i'm even more cynical about things that i see and read.
          I appreciate those insights learned from years of watching from the fandom perspective. I'm sure our other "newer" members (like me) do too. It's one thing to watch the show and love it. It's quite another to discover GW and start reading everything that goes on here. It's a whole new level of interest.

Welcome, caroline!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
            You know you're a Stargate fan when.....

.....no matter what problem someone relates to you, the analogy that pops into your head is how something similar happened on Stargate: SG1.

My favorite on-set Amanda moment:

Has to be the Classic McGyver Rant, so brilliantly voiced by our own Amanda. No matter how often I hear it, I laugh out loud again!
            Same for me on both points.

Comment

I know I'm repeating myself, but it's all about The Leading Man. They had to have a competent, witty, good-looking, strong male leader who was also in the military. Rather than make this as non-combative as possible and have him be a major, they had to make him a Lieutenant Colonel, so he could lead the team in Sam's absence.

If it wasn't for Leading Man Syndrome, this wouldn't even be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Interesting new argument on that thread I mentioned earlier...

Having Sam lead SG-1 would make her too perfect...what role would anyone else fill?

Here's my response if you'd like to see:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=576

LS has posted that statement several times before (that Sam would be too perfect if she were in command) and many folks posted counter-arguements and comments (myself included), but LS doesn't seem to want to hear any of it. Read your post, Uber - very balanced.
                Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                There once were two Colonels named Sam and Cam.
                Neither were chickens and neither were hams.
                When one Colonel went to places unknown,
                One Colonel stepped in for the sake of the show.
                When Colonel Sam came back to help save the day,
                Colonel Cam simply smiled and sang, "Hip Hip Hooray!"
                And Daniel and Teal'c joined in on the fun,
                So everyone found their own place in the sun.
                In place of brave Jack, we miss him sorely still,
                Came a man named Landry, a man of strong will.
                Then September came and left tears in its wake,
                Alas our poor Stargate went on a bit of a break.
                No need to fear, January comes in a breeze.
                Unless you're in the UK (spoil freely, please!).
                With Vala, and Landry, and Siler, and Lam,
                And Daniel, and Teal'c, and Colonels Sam and Cam.
                Relax fellow Gate fans, everything will be fine.
                Merry July to all and here's to Season Nine.
                <<< APPLAUSE >>>
                Great poem, Spaz!
                Originally posted by SamFan31
                NEWS FLASH!! This bulletin just in…

Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter (United States Air force, SGC) has completed her Cartercopter assignment. Thanks to Sam’s exceptional technical knowledge, creative thinking, and piloting skills the copter’s performance surpassed everyone’s highest expectations. It was an extremely rewarding experience, even though she put in long hours and missed her friends. Now, it’s time to come home.

Much to her surprise, a welcoming committee greeted her upon her return and we were lucky enough to have a photographer on the scene. There were even a few guests who became momentarily sidetracked by the promise of refreshments.

Welcome Home (medium size 800x600)
                Welcome Home (large size 1024x768)

After the welcome home activities, the commander-in-chief told Sam she had earned some down time after all her dedicated work. She was reluctant, but then she found the idea of a motorcycle odyssey quite appealing. Perhaps Cassie might like to join her. He suggested leaving her cell phone behind, but assured Sam if he or the SGC needed her while she is away he would find her, one way or another.
                Wow, Samfan, this is a wonderful pic! Jack is relaxed and casual, as he would be And I love the little blue jello dessert glasses...cake for Jack... -and my favorite - 'the little yellow ones' which are Thor's favorites! Wonderful detail, Samfan!
                Originally posted by caroline
                Hi everybody I'm new on this forum. I'm a french fan of stargate and above all of the talentuous Amanda Tapping.
                I'm looking forward season 9 because of the new team I hope there will be new discoveries a lot of off world episodes and interactions between the members ( especially Daniel/Sam I love those 2). But I'm afraid Sam will have less influence in the team that the writers put BB as the number 1. I hope there'll be equality of treatment about the characters
                Sorry if you don't understand what I say even if I use my Harraps
                Welcome aboard, caroline!

There is an Index Post on the top of thread page 442 where you will find links to posts with lots of screen caps, audio clips, interview quotes, etc.
                Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                You know you are a Stargate fan when:

Your four year old daughter walks into the room and asks if you will play a game with her and when you agree; she hands you a set of headphones w/ mic while placing one onto her own head and shouts:

"Digger 1. This is Digger 2, can you hear me??? Over!!"
                LOL!
                Originally posted by Lys
                I feel like they didn't learn their lessons after the huge fight between Daniel and Jonas fans.
                Basically, they dismissed the idea of Jonas staying on the team when Daniel came back because they had similar roles. (Not my opinion, but that's for another thread. )
                And now, they bring us a new character Lieutenant Colonel Mitchell. Did they forget that Sam was promoted to the same rank ?
                Once Sam is back, there's obviously one of them who's going to lose on the leadership part. And if Sam and Cam have similar roles, why do they keep them on the same team ?
                And what's going to be the result ? Another war between fans ? I don't think the fandom needs it, so I'm not going to begin it. But like Uber and Astro said, I'd really be disappointed if Sam's role was reduced to Mitchell's 2IC.
                I'm not an expert on military matters, but is it possible that Sam becomes the ranking officer because of seniority in the grade ? If so, I really hope that's what the TPTB have in mind.

I want to see Sam in charge, I want to see her more confident with her new responsability, I want to see her struggle with hard decisions, I want to see that being in command also allows her to show her soft side, I want to see that it didn't destroy her friendship with the rest of the team and I want to see her build a strong friendship with Mitchell, one built upon respect and trust.
                Great post, Lys!
                I know I'm repeating myself, but it's all about The Leading Man. They had to have a competent, witty, good-looking, strong male leader who was also in the military. Rather than make this as non-combative as possible and have him be a major, they had to make him a Lieutenant Colonel, so he could lead the team in Sam's absence.

Thanks for saying it, dancer! There are, and have been, women in the main role of dramatic, adventurous TV and movie shows, but they are the exceptions to the rule. Even more rare is to have the lead women *not* be a sexy alien female.

I have been rooting for the character of Sam Carter because she's one of the very rare female scifi heroines who is simply an exceptional, brilliant and beautiful person. She's exceptional, she's smart, she's been Jolinarized, she's special, she's valiant and heroic and yet compassionate, she's a competent officer in a very tough 'man's world' (the military) and yet she can be a woman on her own time and in her own space. She can be brilliant and smart and enjoy spending countless hours on a scientific puzzle... and yet she can enjoy riding a motorcycle or flying a jet.

It would have been so cool, and *so right* if Season 8 had been written as Seasons 1 and 2 - but with Carter in command of SG-1, that team of adventurous explorers gating to a new world each episode. Carter in command, with no special fanfare, just a solid heroic competence and Carter/AT is the commander, who just happens to be a woman. It would have been cool to have had Carter as the Leading Heroic Female - and to have had stories and episodes that were so cool and engrossing that the viewers loved the team and the stories without needing the top dog to be a Leading Man.
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 21 June 2005, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Jolinarized ?
                  I immediatly vote to add this word into the dictionnary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

What I'm hoping is after the threat of the replicators and Gou'ald were eliminated at the end of season eight that both Sam and Jack were given promotions for their role in fight. I figure that due to the fact that the replicators actually attacked the SGC, on US soil, it would be considered an act of war and as such they would both be given promotions accordingly. Thus when season nine airs, Jack will be a higher ranking General in charge of Homeworld Security and Sam will have been promoted to a full bird Colonel, thus outranking Mitchell, and in charge of R&D at Area51.

To me this would give some added depth to Sam being stationed at Area 51 as I believe Maybourne was a Full Colonel when he was in charge of Area 51. It would also explain all the hush hush until Sam returns because it adds to the drama as to who will be in charge when Sam returns. However, I've been very wrong before but it doesn't hurt to dream a little, right?

Kat
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 21 June 2005, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                      Jolinarized ?
                      I immediatly vote to add this word into the dictionnary.
                      i second that!
                      sigpic
                      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

LOL

yes, i do have a bit of an attitude

this thread is my home. i think i post here more than any other list or even any other forum i may play in.

I recognize what they're doing. see it, acknowledge it. But once i know/feel that i'm being manipulated all that tends to do is make me run the other direction.

personally, the more they pimp ben and the 'better sg1' the more skeptical i am about it all. the more they promote it the more i'm thinking 'yeah, right' because in past years they haven't promoted and spun stuff as hard

I've watched them play the fans before. I've watched them word spoilers to set one group against another. i've watched them take one episode and turn it into the 'pivotal' episode. (they did that with threads last year. we saw the build up for 100 days or D&C)

in the past, it's been ship vs anti-ship for the most part. Now it seems to be Scapers vs Gaters

and, just like clockwork, things start to happen about a month before the new shows premiere. I can see the pattern and because of that i'm even more cynical about things that i see and read.
                        See...but there's a flaw in TPTB's logic then...as I am both a Scaper and a Gater...more of a Gater though and more of a Sam fan than a Crichton fan.

So I'm personally torn by what I want to happen next season and had to make some firm stances in order to maintain what's left of my withering sanity....

...which actually goes a long way in explaining why I so vehemently push for Sam in Command next season...THIS is one of those points that I had to cement in my mind in order to enjoy adding the Farscape cast to the show otherwise I might resent them and I don't want to be placed in that position as a fan.

Thanks...that actually helped clear up for me why I'm so rabid about the whole "who's in command" debate...

P.S...we luv your 'tude, Denise...and heck you certainly you put up with ours...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Yeah, for some reason the man has to have top billing, but in many cases, he isn't always the one who is really 'in charge'.

For example... Remington Steele, Moonlighting and Who's the Boss? All these shows had a leading man in the show, but each show had a woman who was his boss. So, if they need to hire Ben Browder to fill that leading man position on the show ... let them do so, but Sam can still be Cameron's CO.

Hmm but then again, in each of these shows the girl and guy hooked up by the end of the show too. Hmm on second thought.. scratch that... not so great an example!! rofl

Comment

i feel like mgm or scifi are deliberatly playing it up. i feel manipulated wehn i read ben, ben, ben, ben, ben, claudia, beau, ben, ben, ben adn nary a word about amanda even though she's been back long enough for there to be some spoilers. even her two friends seem to deliberately ignore her to suck up to the new guys.

i feel like scifi is messing with/catering to the scapers in a way. which does make sense, tehy want to draw those fans into stargate and ben and claudia is the way to do it (i'm not dissing either of their abilities, however i personally feel that their fan following is precisely why they were cast. talent was a secondary consideration)

however this pimping to the scapers and ignoring of us 'regular' fans does set wrong with me. i feel like 'eh, you're a gater we know you'll watch regardless. we need to suck up to this group so go play in the corner'

what'll be funny is if this blows up in thier faces. the scapers are a most passionate group of fans. skiffy and mgm are literally playing with fire

Are you nuts?

Last time I yelled(to that sort of extent) about the incoming Scapers only being interested in Ben and Claudia and possibly having a disproprtionate influence on S9...I got rapped on the knuckles by a mod!
                            Last edited by Matt G; 21 June 2005, 12:56 PM.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              i felt the same way. i first grimaced and then said, 'but then i'd have to watch that show!'.

but, like you, i'd watch it and quit sg1. i've lost so much with sg1 as it is that the ONLY thing keeping me is sam/amanda. (and a hope for ship) but if sam went to atlantis, i'd follow.

sally
                              I really don't see Sam going to Atlantis, but I'd follow my queen.
                              Maybe her announcement will be that they've come out with a (General?) Sam Carter doll.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                                Are you nuts?

Last time I yelled(to that sort of extent) about the incoming Scapers only being interested in Ben and Claudia and possibly having a disproprtionate influence on S9...I got rapped on the knuckles by a mod!
                                LOL

well my sanity definitely has come under question a time or ten

i'm not a farscape fan so i can't know the motives/preferences of every one of them, but i do know that i've seen more than one anticipating cam and vala interaction and hoping for a reprise of john/aeryn

the pairing and actors are so popular that it's inevitable that they not be compared to their previous roles
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X