Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    First the snow survey...hehe. Can't believe we're talking about the weather here.

I'd say where I live, last winter we were about a 4 bordering on a 5 at some points. On average the last few winters have been getting worse and worse in terms of snowfall and we had many white out days when it was/near blizzard conditions. Winter totally lasted forever too. Even though the calendar was saying it was officially spring, it sure didnt feel like it. We had snow all the way up to April which kinda sucked. I love winter, but when it's time for warmer weather to come in, I'm usually more than ready for it by this time.

Spoilers for SGA Season 5 Search and Rescue
    Spoiler:
    Just finished watching the premiere of Season 5 of SGA. I'm not the biggest fan of this series and mostly just watched to see Sam in command. This ep was supposed to be BIG and I couldnt resist watching to see how she would be written out of the series. I had *hoped* it would be good, but I could have cried in frustration at how it was done. *shakes head*

I think Sam was pretty much surprised by this change of events given the shocked/surprised look on her face when she was told by Woosley. The IOA simply felt her command of Atlantis was not up to par and felt somebody better was suited to command. Basically, she was returning to earth for a review by said organization and even before she got out of the gateroom, she was told the news. TPTB totally disappointed me as I had hoped Sam's stepping down would have been voluntary first and foremost and because something better was in the works for her. Not this nor this way. They didnt give her 11 year career justice and imo they totally disrespected her and the fact of all she has done.
    Yeah
    Spoiler:
    it was disappointing... I think they took the easy route! That's why I am hoping they didn't write that badly and more next week will show that TPTB didn't just do something that crazy!! Come on TPTB tell me you thought this through! tell me my first post http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=92580 is correct
    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 11 July 2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

i do tend to agree

s&r
      Spoiler:

they set it up for the IOA to join the cast of villians for s5.

if we're lucky, woolsey faces conflict between his idiot bosses and the real heros doing hte work.

if we're not lucky, the team spends a whole season playing Hawkeye and BJ to woolsey's frank burns
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Re Search and Rescue and Sam:
        Spoiler:
        This wasn't a *bad* ep. Not great, not up to their best work, but not bad.

<sigh> I have a really hard time with Sam losing 2 commands. One for reasons better left on the Anti-S10 thread and the other for (I'm assuming) political reasons. I agree with Amanda - Sam and Woolsey need to have a 'chat' about why Sam lost her command.

What makes it even more offensive? Sam will again be under Cambo because the movie was filmed before the need for Amanda to leave SGA wasn't known so the lineline is screwed.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

re Search and Rescue
          Spoiler:
          I totally agree with the others who posted about the ending. Like Ann SGCfan, I hope that they'll address it next week, and give a better explanation than "the IOA wants someone with a different skill set." Another sour point for me: how unprofessional it was to tell her that she's relieved of command while they're standing in the middle of the gate room with other people present. Ouch!

I'm bummed.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
            Spoiler:
            I disagree. The best way to respect Sam, given what they had, was to have her coldly discarded by the IOA (who everyone already hates) and leave us (and Atlantis) feeling the loss. Had she gone voluntarily, only us Sam fans would have felt anything. But seeing the loss and hurt on Sam's face? Only violent Sam haters could not feel for her then! And we've seen how well she's done, how hard she's tried, how much respect she's earned and received, so the only disrespect is coming from the IOA, who disrespect everyone.

900th post...woot!
            Good point Merry.
            Spoiler:
            I agree about the IOA. But as a Sam fan, the way it was set up stinks.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
              If you go to Gateworlds homepage you will find a new video clip with Amanda in the Gateworld Play Video Player - title Phenomenon: Amanda Tapping
              i watched it. i saved it.

that bit at the beginning, when amanda's talking about 'beneath the surface' the s/j; i've read her saying this before. could this be an olderish interview that we've read, but are just now 'seeing'?

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                i do tend to agree

s&r
                Spoiler:

they set it up for the IOA to join the cast of villians for s5.

if we're lucky, woolsey faces conflict between his idiot bosses and the real heros doing hte work.

if we're not lucky, the team spends a whole season playing Hawkeye and BJ to woolsey's frank burns
                Nice point Sky.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  I disagree. The best way to respect Sam, given what they had, was to have her coldly discarded by the IOA (who everyone already hates) and leave us (and Atlantis) feeling the loss. Had she gone voluntarily, only us Sam fans would have felt anything. But seeing the loss and hurt on Sam's face? Only violent Sam haters could not feel for her then! And we've seen how well she's done, how hard she's tried, how much respect she's earned and received, so the only disrespect is coming from the IOA, who disrespect everyone.

900th post...woot!
                  Search and Rescue

Spoiler:
                  Well said. I don't have a problem with this ending for Sam at this moment. As you say, this is the IOA and this is how they do things. Clearly the team respects her so much, and I think I read in Gero's interview that Sam will be mentioned in other episodes. It's realistic to me that it could come down like this. The leadership issue of season 9 is totally different to me. It was just incredibly wrong for Sam to have not been the sole leader of SG-1. No excuse for it. But here, Atlantis is not Sam's territory -- I like the political dynamics, particularly if they touch on it in upcoming episodes. If Sam does come back in the finale because AT is available, I can't wait to see how Sam and Woolsey interact.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                    If you go to Gateworlds homepage you will find a new video clip with Amanda in the Gateworld Play Video Player - title Phenomenon: Amanda Tapping
                    Articulate and lovely as always. I hate her. Whatever. Anyway, who cares about that, faaar more importantly, my gawky little Helen Magnus sketch is in there! Co-starring, if you will.

What?

All right, fine. She can have first billing in the credits.

See Ambermoon? Don't you feel better about bidding on the other one now? And you thought it'd never be worth nuthin'!! Oh wait, no, that was me... d'oh.

As you were.
                    (sigh)
                    Last edited by minigeek; 11 July 2008, 08:23 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

S & R

Spoiler:
                      Well, I hope they play Sam's departure politically, or turn it into a better storyline. I don't really like it, but I will see how they continue. I hope that they don't just drop it and never mention it again.

Sam's shock and sadness was very well played by AT. Also as for being shafted in her career by the higher ups...it seems sad that after 11 years thats what happens.
                      I guess it happens in real life too. But it is sad.

Also some lingering Sam questions; how did she get back to earth through the gate? and does she get to go back to get her stuff?
                      and non-Sam questions; Did Micheal steal the jumper? If so how does he have the gene to fly it? and isn't Teyla's father called Tagan and not Torren?
                      Crosses fingers that they don't just put sam back on Sg1 cuz that is basically a demotion IMO. But it appears that the IOA is not happy with her, and not the military so maybe that will help...I hope.

And to weigh in on snow I'd say a solid 1

Comment

The ending for Carter on Atlantis was weak. Sadly its par for the course for the franchise these days and I find it hard to care. As far as I am concerned Carters in charge of SG-1 as would make sense. O'Neal is still doing his best Hammond impression and Hammond is having a great time in Washington. And Thor drops by from time to time giving Jacob a ride.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Conn8d View Post
                          S & R

Spoiler:
                          Well, I hope they play Sam's departure politically, or turn it into a better storyline. I don't really like it, but I will see how they continue. I hope that they don't just drop it and never mention it again.

Sam's shock and sadness was very well played by AT. Also as for being shafted in her career by the higher ups...it seems sad that after 11 years thats what happens.

Also some lingering Sam questions; how did she get back to earth through the gate? and does she get to go back to get her stuff?
                          and non-Sam questions; Did Micheal steal the jumper? If so how does he have the gene to fly it? and isn't Teyla's father called Tagan and not Torren?
                          Crosses fingers that they don't just put sam back on Sg1 cuz that is basically a demotion IMO. But it appears that the IOA is not happy with her, and not the military so maybe that will help...I hope.

Hey GREAT questions Conn8d. This is not the J/S shipper in me talking ... but
                          Spoiler:
                          Wouldn't Jack have something to say about the IOA dismissing her from duty? Isn't he still over SGC and Atlantis and the IOA is the advisory board or am I not getting all my memos... which could be true my fax is broke
                          Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 11 July 2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

S&R

Spoiler:
                            Although most of the episode was good, showing Sam as a great commander, the ending did suck To me it shows little respect for the character. Well I wasn't that attached to the show anyway, so I may not keep watching it.

Originally posted by Conn8d View Post
                            S & R

Spoiler:

Also some lingering Sam questions; how did she get back to earth through the gate? and does she get to go back to get her stuff? and non-Sam questions; Did Micheal steal the jumper? If so how does he have the gene to fly it? and isn't Teyla's father called Tagan and not Torren?

Spoiler:
                            Hmmm, maybe Woolsey will be raiding her closet, and trying on her leather outfit
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              First the snow survey...hehe. Can't believe we're talking about the weather here.

Spoilers for SGA Season 5 Search and Rescue
                              Spoiler:
                              Just finished watching the premiere of Season 5 of SGA. I'm not the biggest fan of this series and mostly just watched to see Sam in command. This ep was supposed to be BIG and I couldnt resist watching to see how she would be written out of the series. I had *hoped* it would be good, but I could have cried in frustration at how it was done. *shakes head*

I think Sam was pretty much surprised by this change of events given the shocked/surprised look on her face when she was told by Woosley. The IOA simply felt her command of Atlantis was not up to par and felt somebody better was suited to command. Basically, she was returning to earth for a review by said organization and even before she got out of the gateroom, she was told the news. TPTB totally disappointed me as I had hoped Sam's stepping down would have been voluntary first and foremost and because something better was in the works for her. Not this nor this way. They didnt give her 11 year career justice and imo they totally disrespected her and the fact of all she has done.
                              My reply to you-

Spoiler:
                              I agree 110% TPTB totally disappointed me too! I was really hurt when I heard Amanda was leaving, but I got over it, and what helped me feel better was thinking/hoping Sam would leave in a good way and one that makes sense. You're right, in 11 years after everything she's done, and what Amanda's done for the show, this is how they repay her? You're right, this isn't justice and they did disrespected her. I can't wait to hear the commentary for the episode or some feature on the DVD where they try to explain why they did what they did and why they did it like that. I haven't even seen the episode yet, and I already don't like it .

But do you guys have any idea how super shocked, hurt and devastated I was? I was like "No, how could they do this to her, why would they do this to her? Words can not emphasis how bad I felt. And my God, after reading posts elsewhere, and then seeing the look on her face from pics from those posts-- that was the crushing blow. Just look at her, she looks like she's been betrayed.
                              Spoiler:

Poor Sam.

It hurts me to see her like that. I mean she probably helps save the world in Continuum, and she comes back to find out they've done this to her? Of anything they should be giving her some congrats. Also not too long ago Amanda said in an interview that she was happy with the script she read and with how Sam was written out, now I'm really confused. Here's the page it's talked on, read it and you'll see what I mean- http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=85332

look at these 2 Youtube vids, they're both the S5 intros, one has Sam/Amanda still in the opening credits. The other has Woolsey

Right - Stargate Atlantis Opening Season 5 Sam
                              Wrong - Stargate Atlantis: Alternate Season Five Opening Woolsey
                              Here's one with the SG-1 theme, it's right to because Sam's in it- Stargate Atlantis Opening Season 5 (Stargate SG1 Theme)

I enjoy these vids, but they kinda hurt me bacause they just remind me Sam/Amanda isn't there anymore, and she's not the leader. That's why I wanted this sig made, to honor her-

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I don't think I'll enjoy S5 that much either. But I want to hear at least a couple of times John, Rodney or Teyla say something nice about Sam. Like how they liked working with her, how they miss her. The 2 things I'd like to hear is someone campare her to Woolsey, like saying "But Colonel Carter always let me do this" or even Rodney say something sweet about her. I just want to hear something.

The IOA simply felt her command of Atlantis was not up to par and felt somebody better was suited to command. Basically, she was returning to earth for a review by said organization and even before she got out of the gateroom, she was told the news.
                              As Jack would say: "Are they on crack?" Now let me tell you how I feel, and why Sam is not only a great leader, but a great character. BTW, this is an old post of mine.

When a group of people work together for quite some time in a team, they begin to know one another, that leads friendship, that leads to trust, and after a while a sorta bond forms. And the most important member of that team is the leader, and a great leader must always put their, (or in this case "herself") people ahead of everything, especially herself. Carter is a great leader, because she'll try to befriend you, defend you, and we'll give you a chance to shine. That being said, I just don't think Woolsey's there yet. I mean even though TLM wasn't a Sam-centered episode, this episode was a really great way to portray her character at her very finest, just like she did in Seer, and BAMSR. She showed friendship, courage, leadership, heroism and a great sense of honor and duty. She gave up her own life, just so another galaxy could be saved, I don't care if it'll all be reset, and it would never have hapened, she sacrificed herself for the greater good. I'm also sooooo very proud of her! She did what was right again, and she didn't even think of her own life, or well-being. She decided she's going to risk her life, and probably die, just so the bad guys could be stop. Now that's a hero!

Her actions in this ep, showed us once again the person we've all known and loved these past 11 years, a freind, an astrophysicist, a fighter, a leader, a role-model, and a hero. If anyone who still had any doubts of Sam's leadership, I'm sure a lot of them now see her for the good-hearted, brave and selfless she is. Amanda leaving, and Sam's death has made me realize that this really is the end of the great and long Sam saga . And as far as Sam's replacement-- no one in either galaxy could ever replace Samantha Carter.

Oh man guys, after I read these posts (all of these I have here) I got so sad, and couldn't stop thinking about Sam/Amanda *Getting sadder * Oh boy, I'm about to get Personal. I just want to say to you guys, and everyone else that, as Phenomenally sad as I am that Sam is leaving , but that's nothing, I'll miss her way more . But the thing is the people, characters move on. RDA and MS did it, so I guess it's Sam/Amanda's turn. I'm not looking forward to her last episode, that's definitely going to be the hardest; I don't know how I'm going to let her go. I really don't know how I can watch new episodes of SGA, and know she's gone Right now I feel just like so many fans on Samanda, and here, I just want to hold on to Sam tight, hug her and never let her go and tell her I love her

But I'll have to, as will we all. All I can say I hope to God, that Sam Carter comes back soon, and that they'll be a 3rd movie one day. I wouldn't trade a second of Sam of anything, and even after 11 years, that's still to little Carter. I hope from the bottom of my heart that Amanda is very happy, and successful and I wish all the best things in the world for her.

Comment

I think tonight's sadder than the end of SG-1. No more TV Sam.
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X