Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
    I saw her relationship with Pete a little differently, but I do agree is it one of her so called failures? yeah probably, because relationships weren't her strong suit, despite best intentions.

In the beginning I think she genuinely liked and cared for him. I think it was fun, new and exciting for her. She had set out to get a life outside the SGC and her brother's best buddy showed up at the right time and their backgrounds allowed them to have more in common than most. She was allowed to shake off those military boots for high heels and just be a woman instead of a save the day solider. I think the start of their relationship worked. I think when they were dancing and kissing she was there with him, enjoying his company and that normal life he offered. I don't think she was imagining anyone else.

I think where the failure comes in is when he proposed (that was way too early) and she accepted it eventually. By now the writers have shown the audience his character flaws, therefore, we know it's not going to work out, but Sam is determined to make it work. So she over looks his flaws, doesn't see the problems they are having. Her every day job requires that she bend the laws of Physics (ignores them) to find the solution. I think she tried the same tactic with the relationship. But she does redeem herself when ultimately she realizes she cares for him, but it's not love and it's not for a lifetime.
    I agree her failure was not in dating Pete but accepting the proposal knowing she still had feelings for Jack, or for the non-shippers she just didn't love in the same way as he loved her plus he didn't really know her just the aspects she allowed him to see which would never be enough. I just think she originally just wanted to go out no strings attached have some fun and being just Sam for awhile unfortunately Sam is also part of Carter and Pete and Carter just don't work add in the fact that is hard not to start caring about someone and you have recipe for disaster.

No one has mentioned Red Sky as one of her failures so I will even though she came up with a solution in the end it was sabotaged so it ended up being a failure although not exactly her fault I think she blamed herself for it. She originally set up the dialing protocols that bypassed some of the saftely mechanisms in order to get a lock on the planet.

I would also bring up that Sam viewed Jolinar as one of her failures because she failed to save her and she ended up having to sacrefice her life for Sam. Although good things came out of it, her depression stemmed from the idea that she felt like she killed Jolinar.

Another instance that could be considered a failure is Gemini. when Sam believed Replicarter and then she outsmarted Sam and rendered the weapon useless. She blamed herself for trusting her.

Sam is very hard on herself and does not accept failure easily that is why it is so compellling to watch.

Amanda has these perfect expressions of oh no what have I done or in the case of Jolinar it was the lack of expression that told the story. In Gemini it was the overconfidence in the beginning combined with her excellent acting as Replicarter being the complete opposite and delivering those great lines while slowing realizing what she did and the awe but revulsion of what she may be capable of. Evil Carter is very scary.

With Pete I did notice some fake smiles especially when Jacob was around in Threads even during the proposal she didn't seem very happy. The first dates yes after that she was faking it well. It seemed when she was around Jack she didn't want to be reminded of Pete --had almost a wistful expression at times other times angry don't mention Pete, please.
    sigpic
    Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

Originally posted by kir_fect View Post
      I sent an email off to the production company of Dancing Trees telling them about the huge following of fans Amanda Tapping had. I asked them about when this movie would be airing and when it would be out on DVD. This is the message I got.

Good afternoon, Dion here from Dancing Trees Productions. Dancing Trees is currently airing on Super Channel in Canada and will come out on DVD soon. If you check back with me in about 6-8 weeks I can give you a better date.

Thanks,
      Dion

I will let you all know when I get more information.

link isn't working for me on SF either can someone maybe post another link sendspace or something?

Thanks,
      read the interview but I love her voice as well.

:: salutes::
      sweet thanks for the infor.
      Last edited by atfan; 30 May 2008, 12:11 PM. Reason: addding comment
      sigpic
      Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
        Thanks for sharing your pics Julia. I so looooove our little group pic Brings back all memories too *sigh*
        Great picture! Would love to know who is who here

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
          I'm on the right (and was feeling like crying at the time lol, you would be surprised how emotional things get at such a weekend). As for the rest, I guess it's up to them if they want you (and the rest of the world) to know.

Here's another one, a second later lol ... and I was paying attention just a little too late.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
            I don't often watch much tv at all anymore...except of course for SG...that's because I'm either in here or playing elsewhere but...I don't mind L&O: SVU...I'm not sure if the detectives would question the whole "radar telemetry" cover story...but it would be cool to see Sam crossover to SVU to help solve a crime involving a scientist from either Area 51 or Cheyenne mountain who had worked with Sam...maybe even have Sam next on the hit list...but then I'd also love to see the rest of her team play along side her...I mean really...if she were to be involved in something like a murder or what not, then I can't imagine her not having her guys by her side...but that's just my thinking!!!
            Good ideas.

...now where have I heard that before???...can you imagine if when you ring the information line for a phone number and you heard Amanda's voice...that line would be constantly busy I reckon...I'd never use a phone book again...and my phone bills would be astronomical!!!!

Comment

Here's another one, a second later lol ... and I was paying attention just a little too late.
              lol such a fun pic!!!!!

WOOHOO My 1200 Post *grins*
              *goes to get cake*

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post

Oh guys the SanctuaryFans interview with Amanda is working now, its a fantastic interview!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                Great. I had read the transcript but its so much more fun to hear the interview.

Thanks for everyone's posts on my L&O question.

Thanks to kir_fect for inquiring about Dancing Trees. Good to hear it should at least be on DVD. I wonder if we should lobby Lifetime to buy it too.

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                  Wow...not asking for much are we???
                  Where to start...Sam and failures....hmmm....

1. Her hesitation in taking down Jonas Hansen when she had the chance...although I understand that its not something to be proud of by shooting someone but she had the chance to end it earlier than it otherwise did...
                  Special acting skills by Amanda...she's so darn special...must we need to pint out the obvious??? ...I think that look on her face when Jonas took the gun from her was just awesome...she just as well may have shouted out that she couldn't kill/shoot him...or rather that she wouldn't do it...you could almost see the thought processes going on in her mind about what she should do...too bad Jonas gained the upper hand.
                  Good point. This is a case where I think 2 years later in the same circumstances she would have shot him.

2. Pete...I think she wanted to have something real and outside of work but I don't think it worked quite like she planned...but whether that's a failure is another thing though...I'm kinda in two minds about that one...
                  Special acting skills by Amanda...My shippyness aside...I think when I watch her together with Pete, I'm never convinced that it would work...when she kisses him and goes dancing with him, her mind seems to be elsewhere...I get the feeling that she;s always analyzing the relationship and looking for the flaws and the good stuff to determine whether to keep going with it or not...that's just what I see when I watch her with Pete...I don[t get the impression that she's confident in their relationship...[QUOTE]
                  My impression in the dancing scene (particularly when she puts her head on his shoulder) is that Sam was making up her mind to just take the chance with him.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pics Julia. I so looooove our little group pic Brings back all memories too *sigh*
                    That is my favourite picture from the weekend...apart from my picture with Amanda, though it is a very close run thing I loved our little group.

I'm next to Lies, in the hat.

I'm on the right (and was feeling like crying at the time lol, you would be surprised how emotional things get at such a weekend). As for the rest, I guess it's up to them if they want you (and the rest of the world) to know.

you snooze...you get bunny ears... unfortunately my arm wasn't quite long enough to reach Julia's head as well as yours else I've have got the double ears double whammy.

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                    lol such a fun pic!!!!!

WOOHOO My 1200 Post *grins*
                    *goes to get cake*
                    Congratulations and YAY CAKE!!
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                    My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I'm in the middle, the one with the wheels And with no bunny ears LOL.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                        I'm in the middle, the one with the wheels And with no bunny ears LOL.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        not for lack of trying
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          Attn Canadian Fans (you know who you are )

Amanda's ep of Street Legal (The Harley) is airing at 6AM and Noon Eastern Time on May 30 on the Canadian Bravo station. Anyone want to record and share with their US neighbors? At least Amanda's scene?
                          I taped the episode but don't have the technology to share (not unless you all come to my house to watch the VCR). You didn't miss much. Just a few seconds as a TV reporter. Didn't see her up close, just on a TV in a room.

Interesting thing is that Rachel Luttrell was also a guest star on that episode.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                            I taped the episode but don't have the technology to share (not unless you all come to my house to watch the VCR). You didn't miss much. Just a few seconds as a TV reporter. Didn't see her up close, just on a TV in a room.

Interesting thing is that Rachel Luttrell was also a guest star on that episode.
                            Hopefully somebody else got it and can post the clip. Is Canada safe in June?
                            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                            Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                              Hopefully somebody else got it and can post the clip. Is Canada safe in June?
                              Well that's when we get the really big blizzards, and the roads are impassable and we have to use our snow shoes to get around
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Well that's when we get the really big blizzards, and the roads are impassable and we have to use our snow shoes to get around
                                buahahaha. Yes, and even our pet polar bears have to come in out of the cold

P.S. I love Amanda...
                                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Working...
                                X