Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
    Actually mine is a dell. I was told I didn't have an option I had to use Vista they didn't provide XP anymore. On the flip side the unit I have was on sale (because they produced too many - which is probably why the vista only comment) and was for small businesses. I want XP back ... but at this point it might be just as much of a headache to change it all over.

Oh and I don't have nice flying floaty stuff anymore either... the crash did away with that (now it looks like XP)... and it will not keep my changes to the desktop (i.e. the color scheme, fonts, etc.) That is the most frustrating... well that and the fact it forgets my password and won't let me on the dang thang and it deletes stuff without asking!

You know someone once said the computers will take over the world... well I'm convinced my computer has a mind of it's own, and I must have ticked it off at some point

This is how the replicators started wasn't it lol Sam!!
    sounds to me like you got a seriously messed up puter. rebuilding it is probably the best option.

if other companies offered XP, i'd look into them. but i think dell is hte only one. I'll pay a bit more, but if i buy a cheaper one it'll cost me a couple hundred to track down a copy of XP (if microsoft hasn't recalled them all to try and force people to thier new OS, i hate when they do that) and then spend a few hours wiping one out to install another. so i feel the extra money is worth it to not have to mess with it in the first place.

I used vista once at a meeting that i babysat. people there were logging into thier work e-mail and if they didn't pay attention and told it to remember passwords, i would remember thier work passwords into their work servers....MASSIVE security issues.

It took the HP guys that were sponsoring the booth a day to figure out h ow to wipe out those passwords. microsoft 'hid' how to do that.

that's when i was convinced that i never wanted the POS that vista is.

It's like the OS for the ADHD amongst us (no offense meant towards anyone). Lose the flash, gimme substance. office 2007 is all flash and no substance. I didn't like that stupid 1.5 line default that it is and it took me 2 hours and a call to tech support to figure out how to make it remember what i was telling it to do.

i shouldn't have to fight an OS. and that's what i feel i have to do with vista, fight it to do what I want, not what it thinks i should do
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone,

I'm back, I had fun today. I was catching up with the posts, about the computer chat, I have a Dell with Vista on it, its about 6 months old and I really like it I've had no problems with it so far (touch wood) but then maybe I don't do some of the technical stuff some of you guys do.

I'm thinking of getting a lappy though, just for surfing, playing vids and music. I was thinking about a Mac, what do you all think? Are they good for that sort of thing?

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        I'm thinking of getting a lappy though, just for surfing, playing vids and music. I was thinking about a Mac, what do you all think? Are they good for that sort of thing?

Julia(samcarterrules)
        Sky was just saying that she didn't like Mac's for surfing, but I swear by my trusty (if long in the tooth) iBook G4 running Firefox.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone,

I'm back, I had fun today. I was catching up with the posts, about the computer chat, I have a Dell with Vista on it, its about 6 months old and I really like it I've had no problems with it so far (touch wood) but then maybe I don't do some of the technical stuff some of you guys do.

Julia(samcarterrules)
          Try out a friend's Mac first. The OS is..different. Some say more user friendly. Not so much imo if you are used to PCs. Certainly it's supposed to be much more generating-graphics friendly, but it doesn't seem like you want it for that. And they are more pricey. But much less likely to get a virus.

Donamac?

suse
          Last edited by suse; 23 February 2008, 01:31 PM.
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Honestly I think Dell is a good computer. My last puter was a Dell and it lasted a long time. It's Vista that is the problem. They think it was an update that caused the problems I am having now.
            Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 23 February 2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
              Sky was just saying that she didn't like Mac's for surfing, but I swear by my trusty (if long in the tooth) iBook G4 running Firefox.

FF
              Originally posted by suse View Post
              Try out a friend's Mac first. The OS is..different. Some say more user friendly. Not so much imo if you are used to PCs. Certainly it's supposed to be much more generating-graphics friendly, but it doesn't seem like you want it for that. And they are more pricey.

Donamac?

suse
              Thanks guys, I did notice Macs are more expensive, suse that's a good idea about trying it first, I don't know anyone with a Mac but maybe someone going to AT3 will have one with them that I could look at? (bats eyelashes sweetly at Samanda's AT3 attendees) then I can think about what lappy to buy when I get home.

Julia(samcarterrules)
              Last edited by samcarterrules; 23 February 2008, 01:43 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I did notice Macs are more expensive, suse that's a good idea about trying it first, I don't know anyone with a Mac but maybe someone going to AT3 will have one with them that I could look at, then I can think about what lappy to buy when I get home.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                I'll probably take mine to AT 3 and well my lappy is a MacBookPro and I wouldn't mind you using it for a bit, just know my lappy is my baby...as in my precioouuuuus

yeah I am *that* addicted to it

Comment

Thanks guys, I did notice Macs are more expensive, suse that's a good idea about trying it first, I don't know anyone with a Mac but maybe someone going to AT3 will have one with them that I could look at, then I can think about what lappy to buy when I get home.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                  I've used almost exclusively Macs for years; my sad little iBook finally exploded a couple of weeks ago, after many years' service. So I had to get a new MacBook (got to have Mac to be compatible with work). They are indeed much more expensive -- my new one has an 80GB hard disk and a 2GB processor, but it is fabulous, great for surfing, watching DVDs etc. Cost me £799, so a PC is cheaper to buy. Macs don't tend to be vulnerable to viruses though, so that's huge, and are easier to fix yourself -- unless of course they explode completely!

Good luck deciding!
                  "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Didn't Amanda look gorgeous last night? She was luminous. Great makeup, but the skin underneath was incredible.
                    I thought so too! I wanted to say something to the person with whom I was watching the episode, but I don't think he would've cared.
                    i feel, with midway and kindred, they FINALLY got around to writing Sam as the commander of the city.

she was very much in charge and in command
                    My thoughts exactly. The only other episode in which they wrote her as the commander of the city was in The Seer. In Kindred, we saw her in a mission briefings and making a significant decision regarding Teyla. I really like how Teyla gave her respect as a commander, and that whole scene in general, what with Sam saying, "Call me Sam." I only wish they had that scene earlier in the season!

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                      I'll probably take mine to AT 3 and well my lappy is a MacBookPro and I wouldn't mind you using it for a bit, just know my lappy is my baby...as in my precioouuuuus

Thanks Eve *hugs* and I promise I'll be very gentle with the baby

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Izzy View Post
                        I thought so too! I wanted to say something to the person with whom I was watching the episode, but I don't think he would've cared.

My thoughts exactly. The only other episode in which they wrote her as the commander of the city was in The Seer. In Kindred, we saw her in a mission briefings and making a significant decision regarding Teyla. I really like how Teyla gave her respect as a commander, and that whole scene in general, what with Sam saying, "Call me Sam." I only wish they had that scene earlier in the season!
                        I thought so too! It was a good Sam in command episode much like Seer. Another thought too... if the season ends with Strong Sam and in Command Sam and good Team episodes including the supporting cast then the season will end on a high note for me! I know she will be back in at least 2 episodes next year as long as they are done well! I will be a happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                          Macs are really pretty, but I'm not sure how practical it would be to have one.

I need to buy a new lappy soon (my current one is falling apart, as Antoa knows). I have bits of the screen frame thing chipped away, wires poking out, there are cracks and splits all over, the f key keeps falling apart.....

I'm looking at Dell at the moment. I used to have a Dell like the one Sam has in the first few seasons. It was so sturdy and took a fair few knocks. I had it about five years when the harddrive bit the dust. My parents gave me some money to buy a new laptop, so I got this one which was an own-brand. This one is falling apart after two years, whilst my old Dell is my mum's favourite toy - she had the harddrive replaced and she uses it for everything!
                          I have missing keys But they still work, I just have to press them differently. At least it isn't letters that are missing. Just the Delete, > and ^ arrows.

But all my keys are real fluffy underneath. Darn those cats who like to sit on my keyboard.
                          Just get a Mac, it makes life so much more Zen.

FF
                          My ma likes Macs. I don't particularly like them though. Even her mac is too flashy for me. I like my good ol' laptop with XP. I could use some more RAM at times, but it's pretty good.

I don't like that there are so many programmes that aren't compatible with macs.
                          Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                          I feel like I'm the only one who has Vista working without a problem.

I have my (Dell) laptop for about a year now, and have no problems. I don't have much programms on it, but IE, Photoshop, a couple of media players all work fine.
                          I have also lots of files on my desktop, and they've been there for that whole year without a problem.

Just saying
                          My brother has vista. It doesn't ave any problems, but he doesn't like it much. He still prefers XP. But it's a good computer

I'm watching Kindred and I like it. I love Sam's hair.
                          sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                          "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                          My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                            I thought so too! It was a good Sam in command episode much like Seer. Another thought too... if the season ends with Strong Sam and in Command Sam and good Team episodes including the supporting cast then the season will end on a high note for me! I know she will be back in at least 2 episodes next year as long as they are done well! I will be a happy camper.
                            I'll be happier too if the season ends on a strong note. It's sad that we're finally seeing Sam as a strong commander and we only get to see that two more times (in theory!).

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post

Oh, my baby iBook and I are attached at the hip! We go everywhere together.

Originally posted by wibbling View Post
                              I've used almost exclusively Macs for years; my sad little iBook finally exploded a couple of weeks ago, after many years' service. So I had to get a new MacBook (got to have Mac to be compatible with work). They are indeed much more expensive -- my new one has an 80GB hard disk and a 2GB processor, but it is fabulous, great for surfing, watching DVDs etc. Cost me £799, so a PC is cheaper to buy. Macs don't tend to be vulnerable to viruses though, so that's huge, and are easier to fix yourself -- unless of course they explode completely!

Good luck deciding!
                              I am a computer imbecile and only went over to the Mac side of the force as my fannish friends, who are my tech support, are all Mac geeks, but I find it pretty fool proof.

This is the Plokta cabal with our beautiful Macs, on which we produce our Hugo award winning fanzine, Plokta (http://www.plokta.com/plokta/). I'm the second on the right, if you were wondering. Edit to add, the little boy on his dad's knee also has an Apple in the picture, it's black so you can barely see it, the only member of the Cabal who has not succumbed is the photographer, Giulia, who has to use a Microsoft laptop for work. Wuss.

FF
                              Last edited by Frostfox; 23 February 2008, 03:29 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh, my baby iBook and I are attached at the hip! We go everywhere together.

I am a computer imbecile and only went over to the Mac side of the force as my fannish friends, who are my tech support, are all Mac geeks, but I find it pretty fool proof.

This is the Plokta cabal with our beautiful Macs, on which we produce our Hugo award winning fanzine, Plokta (http://www.plokta.com/plokta/). I'm the second on the right, if you were wondering.

FF
                                I think the fact that my initial reaction to that pic has nothing to do with appreciating the technology, or seeing the actual people behind a Hugo-winning fanzine, but was "ooh, look at all the shiney!" says something about me, doesn't it? Not that you didn't know that already FF especially, as you had to experience my flakiness firsthand, poor soul
                                sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Working...
                                X