Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodnight everyone(waves) i'm of to bed, i got work see y'all tomorow
    sigpic
    (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

nighty
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        ok, topic of the day

Let's say that Sam had been put in charge of throwing a birthday party for someone at the sgc (equality my tush, trust me, it's the women that end up doing this social stuff)

what would she do???
        Hmmm...interesting. I think it'd be a rather low key thing. I couldn't imagine her throwing a party like Vala did for Daniel in Unending. With Sam I imagine she would probably just take the person out for a meal and a with some family and friends. Maybe make it a surprise party but, again, not in the OTT outrageous way that Vala did for Daniel.

Funnily enough...Saturday night I attended my cousins surprise 40th birthday party at a little bar. It didn't have hats and party poppers or things like that. It was just a gathering of family and friends and there were some helium-filled balloons on the tables, cake (of course ), and a buffet. That's the kind of thing I imagine Sam would do.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

ok, topic of the day

Let's say that Sam had been put in charge of throwing a birthday party for someone at the sgc (equality my tush, trust me, it's the women that end up doing this social stuff)

what would she do???
          Everything would be perfectly planned to within an inch of it's life. But it would be very special. Favourite foods and the like. She'd go out of her way to find out everything she possibly could to make sure it was a good party.
          sigpic-
          +I thought I was a fool for no one
          but oh baby I'm a fool for you

Comment

ok, topic of the day

what would she do???
            It depends who the party was for. I can see her having a "what the...?!?!" reaction to it all. One of those, "Put me in a room with 30 Jaffa, let me get tortured multiple times by Ba'al, blow me up and sic a supersolider on me.... but please, NOT the party hostess!"

Although, I think it would also depend on what season. Early on in SG1, Sam was portrayed as being quite socially inept (for lack of a better phrase). I don't think she'd know what people would enjoy as a relaxing night out. Her way of relaxing was quite introspective, so I don't think she'd find it easy to think outside of that box in order to organise for someone else.

Around season 4ish, I can see her being a little more relaxed with the idea. I think you'd see her plan a relaxed meal out at the steak house, or a relaxed barbecue, perhaps beers and a pizza, depending on who it was and the occasion. Nothing huge, fairly informal.

Towards the end of SG1, you can see that Sam is far more outgoing, she has personal relationships outside the SGC and I think she'd be more adventurous in terms of party planning as well. She'd be less about the casual, and more about suiting the individual. For example, if asked to plan a party for Vala, I think she WOULD pull out all the stops with balloons and poppers and hats, because that's obviously what Vala expects from a Tau'ri party.

Anyway, on the subject of birthdays....

Happy Birthday Becky!
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
              It depends who the party was for. I can see her having a "what the...?!?!" reaction to it all. One of those, "Put me in a room with 30 Jaffa, let me get tortured multiple times by Ba'al, blow me up and sic a supersolider on me.... but please, NOT the party hostess!"

Although, I think it would also depend on what season. Early on in SG1, Sam was portrayed as being quite socially inept (for lack of a better phrase). I don't think she'd know what people would enjoy as a relaxing night out. Her way of relaxing was quite introspective, so I don't think she'd find it easy to think outside of that box in order to organise for someone else.

Around season 4ish, I can see her being a little more relaxed with the idea. I think you'd see her plan a relaxed meal out at the steak house, or a relaxed barbecue, perhaps beers and a pizza, depending on who it was and the occasion. Nothing huge, fairly informal.

Towards the end of SG1, you can see that Sam is far more outgoing, she has personal relationships outside the SGC and I think she'd be more adventurous in terms of party planning as well. She'd be less about the casual, and more about suiting the individual. For example, if asked to plan a party for Vala, I think she WOULD pull out all the stops with balloons and poppers and hats, because that's obviously what Vala expects from a Tau'ri party.

Anyway, on the subject of birthdays....

Happy Birthday Becky!
              Yeah, I always had the impression that in the early days Sam didn't socialize much because she'd always been so focused on her work. She had friends but probably had to be dragged out to do things with them because she'd be so preoccupied with school and work.

By the later seasons she was secure in her career & had faced death so many times she was better able to put things in perspective.

Comment

I always thought both young and experienced Sam would be fun to hang out with. Just because you are serious at work doesn't mean you are serious all the time. There are lots of instances where we see Sam teasing others and joking around.

I would suspect Sam would ascribe to the 'Work hard. Play hard. Sleep hard.' theory. If any of the three was lacking with Sam, I would say it is 'sleep hard'.

For birthdays, I could see Sam playing tricks and pranks on very close friends and giving others the type of party they seemed to want. IMO, she's shown an astuteness toward her staff's personality types on Atlantis. She treats them each differently, depending on who they are.

Case in point: Rodney, who's abrasive, she treats more firmly, but she treats Zelenka, who's more timid, more gently. I could see Rodney's party being over the top and making fun of him, while Zelenka's would be a calmer affair.

Comment

Exactly... eighty! [/QUOTE]

LOL!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    Exactly... eighty!
                    LOL![/QUOTE]

LOL

I kept getting hung up on pronouncing 'eht' as in yes and asking myself 'what does eating have to do with anything'.

Now I know!

Comment

Younger Sam would've thrown the bigger party, to over-compensate, perhaps, because she didn't know what else to do.

Ten years later and it's a quieter affair, depending on the person.
                      sigpic-
                      +I thought I was a fool for no one
                      but oh baby I'm a fool for you

Comment

ok, this is slightly off topic, but have you SEEN this?? I think I'm going to vomit!!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...lantisi_.shtml
                        sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                        Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

ok, topic of the day

what would she do???
                          Great question Sky
                          Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                          I always thought both young and experienced Sam would be fun to hang out with. Just because you are serious at work doesn't mean you are serious all the time. There are lots of instances where we see Sam teasing others and joking around.

I would suspect Sam would ascribe to the 'Work hard. Play hard. Sleep hard.' theory. If any of the three was lacking with Sam, I would say it is 'sleep hard'.

For birthdays, I could see Sam playing tricks and pranks on very close friends and giving others the type of party they seemed to want. IMO, she's shown an astuteness toward her staff's personality types on Atlantis. She treats them each differently, depending on who they are.

Case in point: Rodney, who's abrasive, she treats more firmly, but she treats Zelenka, who's more timid, more gently. I could see Rodney's party being over the top and making fun of him, while Zelenka's would be a calmer affair.
                          I agree with hisg1fans I think Sam has a wicked sense of humour, I can imagine Sam organising a few surprise parties for her friends over the years but I don't see her ever taking any credit for them.

Oh BTW, does anyone in the UK know when Skyone will rerun tonight's SGA? I'm off to the theatre tonight so wont be home to watch. Thanks

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                            ok, this is slightly off topic, but have you SEEN this?? I think I'm going to vomit!!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...lantisi_.shtml
                            My reaction wasn't quite that strong but I'm not a fan of Woolsey being the leader of Atlantis. Like the actor but not the character. I live in hope that they will write a proper sendoff for Sam.

In the good news category, Movie Central in Canada has confirmed it will be showing Sanctuary. I guess I'll keep that upgraded cable subscription to watch it and Carter's several guest appearances on Atlantis.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

She's made a decision that's the best for her and her career and her future. And i wish her nothing but the best. Me missing sam???

I'll get over it.

and i have years of dvd's and megs of fanfic.
                              Speaking of fanfic...I have spent a few sick days recently reading lots and lots of fanfic over at the Stargate Fan Awards website. There aren't a ton of Sam stories, but there are more than enough to keep you busy for many hours. It's worth checking out.

Shiaw Mei Mei calls fanfic "a magnificent obsession." I'd have to agree with her assessment. Sky probably would too.
                              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                My reaction wasn't quite that strong but I'm not a fan of Woolsey being the leader of Atlantis. Like the actor but not the character. I live in hope that they will write a proper sendoff for Sam.
                                It's almost like making Kinsey the head of the SGC. I mean Woolsey's pretty much an jerk--and that's his job on the show, to be an antagonist-- (though he does have redeeming moments), I'm not sure how this is going to work. Will they have Shep running around doing his own thing and poor Richard fuming?
                                I'm a bit concerned about what this bodes for Sam as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X