Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Like you both I also don't want Sam to lose a position of command but unfortunately TPTB have disappointed me once before and that was at the start of Season 9 when she lost command of SG-1 to Mitchell. In spite of the fact that Sam had been in command of SG-1 for a year before and on various missions before that when Jack was absent and had 9-years worth of experience off-world.

There was absolutely no reason in the world why TPTB couldn't have have given the character of Mitchell a rank lower than Lieutenant Colonel and had him just cover the command of SG-1 until Sam returned. But no. Instead TPTB tried to cover themselves by saying that Sam and Mitchell had joint command. Something I never felt to be reflected on screen and from what I've heard about Stargate: The Ark of Truth this will still be the case. Mitchell leads. I'm still quite bitter at TPTB over this.

I just hope that when Sam leaves Atlantis during Season 5 it won't be a case of history repeating itself. She's a full-bird Colonel now and deserves to be a leader. She's proved her mettle. She's a 2IC to no one any more. I want a scene where Sam tells John Sheppard why she's leaving and what's in store for her (which will hopefully be a command post). After 11-years, Sam deserves more than just walking off into the Stargate and leaving us fans scratching our heads about what's going to happen to her. But I honestly can't see TPTB doing that with her. They've more sense than that...haven't they?
    I hope...and I agree.
    Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
    WBut the Odyssey has the Asgard database- it's the primo ship. And who better to run it than Sam?
    When you put it like that... That's a huge undertaking-that ship is invaluable. Just like Atlantis holds so much of what the Ancients were, the Odyssey does the same for the Asgard.

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
      In my mind yes, but technically probably not, since she is still be a Colonel.

Why Carter is no longer a commander -

Spoiler:

I prefer that she does something really heroic and gets injured in Search & Rescue. I don't want her to be relieved of command, because that would have negative impact on her future appearances in Atlantis and the movies.

Spoiler:
      I don't want her to be relieved of command, as in 'you aren't doing your job/you can't handle this', but given an equal or better command. Heroic, whumped Sam...that has possibilities... But...what about when she gets better? She wouldn't get her post back(because AT's not a regular anymore), so I'd rather them go ahead and put her somewhere else. Or...they can whump her, then give her another cool command.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        well, i'd suggest, those that want sam's writingout to be what you term 'worthy' of her character, head over to joe's blog and NICELY suggest that they please write her out nicely and well

I thought that episode was already written.

Comment

Of course, my hope was that she'd do more next year, but I don't blame her for wanting to move on given the situation. Who wouldn't want their own sci-fi series.?
          ooh, i love the way that sounds!!

I also hope that she will be in the third Stargate movie, if they make one (crosses fingers Jonas-style). I'm kind of encouraged by what Joe had to say in terms of Sam not really "leaving" the world of Stargate. That's good.
          at first, i thought it said the third stargate *show*. wouldn't it be neat if sam popped up over there too? (especially if she's got her own ship)

As for the next commander
          Spoiler:
          I wish it were Colonel Dixon! I'd tune in just to watch him chew up McKay and spit him out. But it'll probably be Ellis or Caldwell. If it's Daniel that will spell the end of SGA, it'll be like Weir all over again only worse. And I love Daniel, but he can't possibly command a quasi-military expedition.
          Spoiler:
          i don't *know* some of these characters very well, but i'll go with:

woolsey
          caldwell
          ellis
          new person
          thor! ('continuum' might erase the asgard death? maybe?)

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
            I thought that episode was already written.
            episode one is written, yes. but not likely written as sam leaving since the eps was 'done' a bit ago but her leaving was just official a few days ago.

i'm betting there's some tweaking going on...and anything can change right up until the tapes roll
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
              Spoiler:
              I don't want her to be relieved of command, as in 'you aren't doing your job/you can't handle this', but given an equal or better command. Heroic, whumped Sam...that has possibilities... But...what about when she gets better? She wouldn't get her post back(because AT's not a regular anymore), so I'd rather them go ahead and put her somewhere else. Or...they can whump her, then give her another cool command.
              Spoiler:

I like your idea - whump her and then give her command over some starship, so that she can come over to Atlantis.

Comment

episode one is written, yes. but not likely written as sam leaving since the eps was 'done' a bit ago but her leaving was just official a few days ago.

i'm betting there's some tweaking going on...and anything can change right up until the tapes roll
                Do you have the link to Joe's blog? Do I have to create a new account and so on and so forth? Have never posted on a blog before, so any tip would be helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                  'Ruined' is a strong word, but I totally understand what you mean. i'm really looking forward to trio, but only because she's figured prominently in the episode (finally!) so when she's not on, i'm kinda blah about watching the show, whereas before, i liked it more. though not near as much as sg-1
                  a bit ago (before i stopped reading to take a bath), i saw someone's sigpic from 'continuum', showing the whole sg1 team... and i had an instant knee-jerk reaction to it. man...

i became so disappointed and... i don't know, heart broken maybe, in what happened to sg1 in s9. and it's not just the command issue, but how the entire show was retooled. but in the retooling, sam was pushed into some corner. teal'c's always been in the corner . so when it was announced that sam was going over to atlantis -and as commander! - it was like taking everything i didn't like about stargate anymore and transplanting it into something original and decent and well done. atlantis might have it's weaknesses, but it's still twice as good as stargate sg1 9/10. at least for me.

so that's another reason why i'm going to miss sam *on atlantis*. i'd take 15 minutes of commander sam on atlantis over 45 minutes of sam on sg1 9/10. again, for me.

i hope she's not reading right now, cuz i don't want to make her feel bad! i just like the character so much that she kinda overshadows everything else for me.
                  me too.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

we could have the 'adventures of Sam Carter' in her own city and own part of hte universe

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

we could have the 'adventures of Sam Carter' in her own city and own part of hte universe
                      Yeah-- we could call it... wait for it....SANCTUARY!! oh, wait. That's taken, isn't it?

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

btw, would becoming a ship commander be a step backwards in her career? maybe it would depend 'why' she went from one command to the other???

sally
                      It would certainly give her more mobility to pop up wherever she was needed. I actually really like this idea. And it would explain why she's only a guest once in a while-- like Caldwell is right now.

I'm with you, Sally, 100%.
                      The reason why I think commanding a ship isn't a step down is that SGA makes Atlantis seem like a big deal. What if it was a TV show called Stargate Odyssey? (With Sam as commander- yay!). Those ships are incredible- the city- well, it's a city. A base. In RL might it not be more prestigious to command an aircraft carrier rather than a base? We have a skewed perspective because of the show. But the Odyssey has the Asgard database- it's the primo ship. And who better to run it than Sam? Although running the SGC would be better, she's not a general yet. The ship has been in drydock for a year, hasn't it? Waiting for a commander.
                      I like your reasoning, and I agree with you. "Stargate Odyssey" sounds a little too close to Star Trek Enterprise or Voyager, though. Maybe something a little different? Anyone have any suggestions on what they could call a show based on Sam in command of they Odyssey?
                      sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                      Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

THE GIANTS WON THE SUPERBOWL!

Ok, got that out. Whew.

On topic: I don't want Sam to do a Weir redux either, that is, invalided out of sight and swooped into quasi-death and limbo. As suggested (and prayed, I think) Sam should be doing her job like the Sam Carter we've known for 10.5 years. Maybe all the restrictions she's had as commander can come off and she'll break bad on some baddies, save the day, then go off to command either the SGC as general or the newly Asgard-fitted Odyssey (my fave choice).

I agree, Alan that whatever goes down goes down onscreen, esp. a face to face with Sheppard, Rodney, Teyla and Ronon (Lorne, too). All the people that matter should be there when she departs with head up, shoulders back and solid steps.

Just sayin', Colonel Sam Carter should exit like she came, in command mode. Just weighin' in.

Oh, and see below -
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

a bit ago (before i stopped reading to take a bath), i saw someone's sigpic from 'continuum', showing the whole sg1 team... and i had an instant knee-jerk reaction to it. man...

i became so disappointed and... i don't know, heart broken maybe, in what happened to sg1 in s9. and it's not just the command issue, but how the entire show was retooled. but in the retooling, sam was pushed into some corner. teal'c's always been in the corner . so when it was announced that sam was going over to atlantis -and as commander! - it was like taking everything i didn't like about stargate anymore and transplanting it into something original and decent and well done. atlantis might have it's weaknesses, but it's still twice as good as stargate sg1 9/10. at least for me.

so that's another reason why i'm going to miss sam *on atlantis*. i'd take 15 minutes of commander sam on atlantis over 45 minutes of sam on sg1 9/10. again, for me.

me too.

sally

Same sentiment here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                            Yeah-- we could call it... wait for it....SANCTUARY!! oh, wait. That's taken, isn't it?

It would certainly give her more mobility to pop up wherever she was needed. I actually really like this idea. And it would explain why she's only a guest once in a while-- like Caldwell is right now.

I like your reasoning, and I agree with you. "Stargate Odyssey" sounds a little too close to Star Trek Enterprise or Voyager, though. Maybe something a little different? Anyone have any suggestions on what they could call a show based on Sam in command of they Odyssey?

ReganX and SionnachOghma have a fic called Stargate: Athena which is along these lines and is a pretty cool story
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                              ReganX and SionnachOghma have a fic called Stargate: Athena which is along these lines and is a pretty cool story
                              Thanks for the link! I may have to write one of these, too! The possibilites are endless!
                              sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                              Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

me too.

sally
                                AHHH so know what u mean.
                                Spoiler:
                                I Mean "Line in the sand" was suposed to be a Sam Ep (as it said in the Commentary) and it ended up being changed to a Vala/Tomin ep, Sam was just pushed to the side. But I do love the sam wumping
                                sigpic

Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X