Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie
    oh....now I get it! *laughs at her own incredible dumbness and wanders off to PM deepspace* thanks bubs!
    deepspace did not get PM

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

If we must archive the thread in order to save it from potential destruction in crashes, then I'd say we should. But I really like the idea that there be a way to link back to the original for those newcomers (or we oldtimers who may get nostalgic) to survey the earlier messages. The idea of perhaps starting off the new thread with a few of the original messages also sounds good to me. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Whew! I was working on this post last night when the Forum went down for maintenance... so glad that it's back up now
        Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
        ! A thread that actually LOVES Carter...where have I been 394 pages ago???

Love the Samantha/Sam Carter character to the molecules. Even with the spots of laxity by the writers or PTB at times, Carter has remained a strong and appealing persona. She's missed already and s9 hasn't even aired.

I give her a lot of kudos. She travels through the known and unknown with three of the most virile men in the universe but doesn't lose herself among them. Well she did fall for the alpha male, that'd be Jack. And he of course returned those feelings for the female who was more than his match.

Best of's on my List:
        - Emancipation (ok, kind of corny but she was def in hand-to-hand!)
        - Solitudes: she took on that ice! And her tech determination didn't quit.
        - Grace
        - Space Race
        - Icon (her mission, her success)
        - Gemini: AT worked that dual role!

Just naming a few.

Anyway, Amanda Tapping has pulled off a real honors-worthy performance and I for one will be squatting in my most comfortable chair when s9 begins this summer!

"Geez, blow up one sun and everyone expects you to walk on water."

GREAT THREAD, thanks!
        Great post Traveler Enroute1 - Welcome Aboard this Sam-friendly thread. I downloaded your wonderful post into the SaGC Collection. (for more information on that please see the end of this post)
        Originally posted by binkpmmc
        why do I care so much about this darn TV show and what they do to this character - I have never cared about a TV show or a character and never even went on line before this show . . . .
        Originally posted by foreversg-1
        Same reason I care, because Sam is different. Simple as that. She's special and regardless of all the things you detest about the show and the reasons you have to dislike what they have done to her, Amanda's portrayal of Sam is spectacular each and every time. She brings an energy to Sam that exceeds anything the writers can make her do or say. So you feel compelled to come back and continue to root for her in hopes that some day they [the writers] might actually get it right.

At least, that's why I keep coming back.
        Kat
        Originally posted by chocdoc
        As to why you care so much about this TV show and what they do the Sam character---I have no idea, but I'm the same way. I also have never cared about a particular character in a TV show, and never even knew fandom existed until recently. I just like Sam alot---I feel protective of her, because I think she is a really good role model for girls and women, and boys and men!! I don't feel as strongly as you do about the way Sam has been written in the last two seasons---I still find her a wonderful, interesting, and competent character, but I do think there is a bit of an imbalance, and we need the Sam who is consistently brilliant and competent in Season nine. But I am with you--I have no idea why I care---Sam is just a tv character!!! But I think reading about AT and learning that she is such a great person herself and she also cares about Sam Carter, adds to my desire to be protective of the character she plays.
        Originally posted by chopingal
        As to the Amanda mystique ... somehow, this lovely woman named Amanda Tapping has come into our lives and has charmed all of us. How do we love her? Let us count the ways ... and we have, in many of the posts on this ever-expanding thread.

I, like both of you, have never gotten hooked on a television show or personality quite this way. My adult kids are totally amused at mom's sudden enthusiasm for scifi and a Canadian actress they have never even heard of! In their eyes, I'm about one fry short of that happy meal! I can't explain and don't fully understand myself. I should be dating online not writing Samfic!

If I had to try to rationalize the whole Samanda experience, I guess I'd have to name the naturalness of AT - she seems to be the real thing. And she's the complete package: brains, beauty, wit ... what's not to love? But the underlying factor may be a sense of goodness - there is something good about Amanda which draws people in. I don't mean to make her a saint or put her on a pedestal. We live in a very hostile and negative world, surrounded by a lot of ugliness and meanness. Amanda just bursts forth and shines ... everything about her is alive. You can see it in her eyes and face. How refreshing is that? To be taken away, for a brief time, from all the craziness and pettiness and gravitate to the light that is Amanda! Think about the people in your own lives ... there aren't many persons who have the gift to enrich others by such a lively presence. Amanda has and does!
        Bink posted a great question - and I have downloaded it - and these wonderful replies - into the SaGC Collection.
        Originally posted by LadyJeep
        Hi all! I'm so happy I found this thread. I am a major Sam/Jack shipper, but an even bigger Sam fan. I think Sam is a wonderful role model for girls everywhere and Amanda seems such a delight. I went to the Vancouver Con in April hoping that just maybe we might get to see Amanda. I'm definitely going next year for the same reason. I really, really would love to meet her.

I've read some of the fanfic and they're great and the vids, too. I know I'm going to love it here.
        You can forward your pictures with your real and screen names to my hotmail address - missmarybethhouse at hotmail.com...

we could even include in the presentation book for AT
        Uber, just send me the pic(s) when you have them ready, and I'll put them into the book

Originally posted by majorsal
        welcome!

you've found THE home of love and support for sam and amanda. bask in the glow, and newbies have to buy the vice president (ME) a margarita.

sally
        Hmmm... I didn't catch the last part of Sally's post until I re-read it... mmmhmmm... we must keep an eye on our VP....

To all of the recent new arrivals to our thread:
        Welcome Aboard.
        This is a Sam-Friendly Zone.

Here is a link to an 'Index Post' (Thread page 360, post 7181) that has links to pages and posts with great Sam/AT screen caps and information about various fun aspects of the thread (like the SaGC Collection and the Court of Samanda and such).
        And here is some
        'Welcome to the Neighborhood'
        Royal Blue Jello

And a round for everyone for all of the wonderful posts!
        ---------

As for starting a new thread - I vote for whatever makes for the most fun for everyone. Perhaps we should revisit this question at the 500 post level?

Comment

Caption

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

heya everyone sorry I've dropped off the face of the planet I just wanted to thank you all for athe lovley birthdya messages at the risk of sounding muchy and emotional it's really nice to feel wanted here again(at GW i mean) and in general thanks guys!!

Comment

actually, we don't HAVE to archive it. we can leave it open.
              and archiving might be a deceptive word. all i'll do is close the old thread and let it sink and start a new one....that can be merged with the original. so folks can still reference back to or edit thier old posts if they want to

and, again, we don't have to do anything. since someone is saving the pages onto cd on thier own, well we have our own archive of a sort so we don't necessary have to worry about it being lost
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                Caption

'He calls, the whole way from Earth, just to tell me that she gets the NEC monitor because she's Not Exactly Carter, and I get the MAG because I'm the Mega Astrophysics Genius? What has General O'Neill been putting on his Fruit Loops?'
                ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Caption

Sam: I bet she never has to dye her roots or reapply her make-up. I guess there are some advantages to being a human replicator.
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 23 May 2005, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                    heya everyone sorry I've dropped off the face of the planet I just wanted to thank you all for athe lovley birthdya messages at the risk of sounding muchy and emotional it's really nice to feel wanted here again(at GW i mean) and in general thanks guys!!
                    Good to see you again Sam Fan, hope to see you around more often.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      welcome!

you've found THE home of love and support for sam and amanda. bask in the glow, and newbies have to buy the vice president (ME) a margarita.

sally

What flavor? Be warned: electronic margaritas are high voltage!

Thanks for the welcome! (**Raises strawberry margarita in salud**)

And for my humble percentage, I like the thread from origin to current. We newbies love to peruse and maybe pick up ideas voiced before, and of course we want to credit/quote correctly. I know little of the mechanics regarding a thread's longevity, but I've seen BBs with THOUSANDS of posts, still intact. This one's obviously a keeper; let's keep it.

Besides, we're Sam Carter devotees: WE'LL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT!
                      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                      sigpic
                      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1

And for my humble percentage, I like the thread from origin to current. We newbies love to peruse and maybe pick up ideas voiced before, and of course we want to credit/quote correctly. I know little of the mechanics regarding a thread's longevity, but I've seen BBs with THOUSANDS of posts, still intact. This one's obviously a keeper; let's keep it.

Besides, we're Sam Carter devotees: WE'LL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT!
                        Welcome Traveler Enroute1!!

I like the thread from origin to current as well -- and I like the fact that this is the largest character appreciation thread. I agree with AstroG and ChopinGal that it presents a good message that Sam/AT are highly appreciated and that many fans would like to see Sam written consistently well in Season 9. But I will leave this decision up to the leadership of Samanda .

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Ah, Madam Vice President, I did not see that anywhere in your job description!

Jester
                          oh, it's there! (i wrote it, seeing as i don't actually do anything being a vice president )

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            Welcome Traveler Enroute1!!

I like the thread from origin to current as well -- and I like the fact that this is the largest character appreciation thread. I agree with AstroG and ChopinGal that it presents a good message that Sam/AT are highly appreciated and that many fans would like to see Sam written consistently well in Season 9. But I will leave this decision up to the leadership of Samanda .

Appreciate the welcome, Chocdoc.

I'm hoping for consistency with Sam's character, too, in s9. Not to the point of boring or predictable of course. Just that bright flame of a warrior-scientist we got in the early days. There will be more challenges, conflicts and whatever coming up (hopefully) regarding the new personnel. I want to see her hold her own and use her brain more (Jack: "You're one of, if not THE national treasures.")
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

New show on The Scifi Channel!

Stargate: Doublemint Twins

Starring Amanda Tapping as Colonel Sam Carter, scientist and military extraordinaire, AND Replicarter, mild-mannered back stabber.

(brought to you by Wrigleys Spearmint Gum)

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Woo post# 800 for me...

I didn't really have anything else to say so I thought I'd post this Sam collage I made the other day. It's a bit shippy, but you can construe it however and with whomever you choose.

Comment

Working...
                                X