Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I'll support whatever the leadership of Samanda decides.

But as the Royal Photographer, I must insist that we gather for a photoshoot before the big event...

GREAT idea! Where? Hawaii is nice this time of year, but Vancouver is also a possiblity.....are they still filming????? It was beautiful in April, it must be really nice there now. (still has her luggage out)

On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Hi All:

Looking for a little help here - Sally asked a good question of Mallozzi on the AJM thread: "Originally Posted by majorsal -- hi, joe, besides being an s/j shipper, i'm also a sam carter fan. any tid-bits you could share to get me excited about the new season regarding this wonderful character? sally"

Mallozzi answered "
      Spoiler:
      Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter makes her return in Beach Head to help Stargate Command deal with a galactic threat. Check out the big mid-season two-parter, The Fourth Horseman, in which a certain someone from her past drops in to lend a hand - with poignant consequences.

Can someone help me because this does not get me excited about what they have in store for Carter's character - it's bland sounding and is just repetitive of what we already know (all he had to say was we have great, heroic things planned for Carter or something like that and I would have felt better than I do reading this old stuff) - I am very disheartened that he has nothing new to say; coupled with the fact that Mallozzi said Carter was "far, far away" during her absence and said it was for professional reasons and then Cooper (who I have almost zero respect for so I am not sure whether to take what he says with any truth at all) comes in and says that basically her return is no big deal and she just "walks in the door" from Area 51 where she has been taking care of things and also a personal committment.

Well this is all, so far, IMO, very disappointing if true (perhaps he is yanking us, like they always do, to make it sound less than it is), but in my heart of hearts after the way they have, IMO, just totally disrespected this character in so many ways over the past 2 seasons, this sounds like something they would do and have her off doing nothing really important and have it also be for personal reasons thus continuing, IMO, the dragdown of this character when they had the potential to do sooooo much with her absence and her return. If it has somethig to do with Cassie it may make things a little better (however, we can almost be sure we won't be seeing Cassie so that part of th story won't amount to much) and I still think they could have really taken this character to the next level with the absence being explained in a very heroic and amazing story (which of course, they would not have had to spend 2 seconds worth of screen time on since it all could have happened off-screen the way TPTB tell us to buy so much of what supposedly happens in the show anyway (like the way they all are supposed to "know" Mitchell because he's been around for years - yeah TPTB sometimes really irk me with their duplicty and hypocrisy in dealing with the stories and the fans).

Mallozzi could really have provided some new stuff for Carter fans "to get excited" about but it's just rehash and sounds not very compelling to me. Can someone help me get out of this "bad" place TPTB have taken me to because nothing I am hearing about the show or the characters, especially Carter, is helping me (my other question is this - why do I care so much about this darn TV show and what they do to this character - I have never cared about a TV show or a character and never even went on line before this show . . . .)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        so what do you guys say? do you want me to archive this one at page 400 and start a new thread?

the new one would start over at page 1 of course, then when we get to 400 on it i'm pretty sure i can merge it with the archived version of this one, so the page count would tally up, it'd just do it in a bunch rather than a little at a time

i'll do whatever the majority wants, but you do need to decide soon. i figure we'll hit page 400 monday or tuesday
        Whatever the membership decides is fine with me.....just so I know where to go to find you guys!

Comment

one thing to consider, joe and rob can only say what the studio or such tells them to say. In other words, they decide how much is spoiled, and since it's possible that sam's return will be a big draw, they probably don't want to spill too much of it

remember threads? how cagey they were about all that happened? Sure, there were parts taht we knew were coming, but there were other parts that was a complete and total surprise

back when brad was running the show, it's my understanding, whenever joe was going to do a chat, he'd write out what he was going to spoil, then let brad read it and get brad's blessing on his spoilers

considering that s9 premieres in a month or so, they're being massively cagey, have been for a year or so
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Hi All:

Looking for a little help here - Sally asked a good question of Mallozzi on the AJM thread: "Originally Posted by majorsal -- hi, joe, besides being an s/j shipper, i'm also a sam carter fan. any tid-bits you could share to get me excited about the new season regarding this wonderful character? sally"

Mallozzi answered "
            Spoiler:
            Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter makes her return in Beach Head to help Stargate Command deal with a galactic threat. Check out the big mid-season two-parter, The Fourth Horseman, in which a certain someone from her past drops in to lend a hand - with poignant consequences.

Can someone help me because this does not get me excited about what they have in store for Carter's character - it's bland sounding and is just repetitive of what we already know (all he had to say was we have great, heroic things planned for Carter or something like that and I would have felt better than I do reading this old stuff) - I am very disheartened that he has nothing new to say; coupled with the fact that Mallozzi said Carter was "far, far away" during her absence and said it was for professional reasons and then Cooper (who I have almost zero respect for so I am not sure whether to take what he says with any truth at all) comes in and says that basically her return is no big deal and she just "walks in the door" from Area 51 where she has been taking care of things and also a personal committment.

Well this is all, so far, IMO, very disappointing if true (perhaps he is yanking us, like they always do, to make it sound less than it is), but in my heart of hearts after the way they have, IMO, just totally disrespected this character in so many ways over the past 2 seasons, this sounds like something they would do and have her off doing nothing really important and have it also be for personal reasons thus continuing, IMO, the dragdown of this character when they had the potential to do sooooo much with her absence and her return. If it has somethig to do with Cassie it may make things a little better (however, we can almost be sure we won't be seeing Cassie so that part of th story won't amount to much) and I still think they could have really taken this character to the next level with the absence being explained in a very heroic and amazing story (which of course, they would not have had to spend 2 seconds worth of screen time on since it all could have happened off-screen the way TPTB tell us to buy so much of what supposedly happens in the show anyway (like the way they all are supposed to "know" Mitchell because he's been around for years - yeah TPTB sometimes really irk me with their duplicty and hypocrisy in dealing with the stories and the fans).

Mallozzi could really have provided some new stuff for Carter fans "to get excited" about but it's just rehash and sounds not very compelling to me. Can someone help me get out of this "bad" place TPTB have taken me to because nothing I am hearing about the show or the characters, especially Carter, is helping me (my other question is this - why do I care so much about this darn TV show and what they do to this character - I have never cared about a TV show or a character and never even went on line before this show . . . .)

Same reason I care, because Sam is different. Simple as that. She's special and regardless of all the things you detest about the show and the reasons you have to dislike what they have done to her, Amanda's portrayal of Sam is spectacular each and every time. She brings an energy to Sam that exceeds anything the writers can make her do or say. So you feel compelled to come back and continue to root for her in hopes that some day they [the writers] might actually get it right.

At least, that's why I keep coming back.
            Kat
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 May 2005, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              so what do you guys say? do you want me to archive this one at page 400 and start a new thread?

the new one would start over at page 1 of course, then when we get to 400 on it i'm pretty sure i can merge it with the archived version of this one, so the page count would tally up, it'd just do it in a bunch rather than a little at a time

i'll do whatever the majority wants, but you do need to decide soon. i figure we'll hit page 400 monday or tuesday
              Hi Sky et al

Astro is away for weekend but should be back on thread soon ... I know she's busy using the thread for her project. Will taking it offline interfere with her ability to search for certain posts for the Samanda scrapbook? I actually have to find a couple more posts myself but not tonight. I don't want to jeopardize that.

Now, one of the successes of SaGC was keeping Sam Carter as a positive and high profile on the main forum page/listing whatever. It's neat to look there and see so many hits (rivaling some of the, ahem, other popular threads) ... and I know Astro (and I) feel good about that.

Why haven't some of the other larger threads been recycled and started over?

If we do this, will we still see that there has been almost 8000 posts? I think the number of posts sends a positive message to the general fandom: we're here and we're here to stay and Sam's a great character! So, if you could guarantee that a) we can easily access the back/archived thread and b) our full number of previous posts would still show in the main window, then I guess I'd be open to switching gears.

Still confused by the need to do this when other threads haven't ... can you explain a little more please?

PS Welcome Traveler ... great post ... please stay with us either here or in our AU which may happen this week!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                Hi All:

Mallozzi answered "
                Spoiler:

Hi Binkpmmc---I can try.

The spoilers don't sound that exciting for Sam, but to tell you the truth, the spoilers for Daniel and Teal'c don't sound exciting either. In fact, there is very little about Teal'c, and what there is sounds kind of boring. Daniel's spoilers revolve around Vala. This could be good for some of the fanbase, but for others like me, I am not excited about this storyline. The only really "exciting" spoilers involve Mitchell right now.

I just don't think we have enough detail about Carter's return in Beachhead.
                I am disappointed about where she has been (I think the writers could have come up with something much more interesting), but maybe, just maybe, Sam gets to play competent Sam in Beachhead, because obviously they are asking for her help in an urgent situation and she is needed. So it could be good. I also agree with you that if Sam's little personal commitment involves Cassie, I would like this even though we won't see it on screen. I like Sam's display of compassion and caregiving toward Cassie. It is very believable.

It seems to me that JM and RCC continue to not give much away, and perhaps as you have said before, they want to keep the Sam fans wondering so that we will (or most of us) will watch to see how they have written Sam's return, and see what she actually has been doing and what she actually does in these episodes.

As far as the other spoiler, I like this character, so I am looking forward to his return. It could be that Sam plays a key role in this two-parter where she is integral to a good sci-fi story and hopefully once again is her truly competent compassionate self.

So, it could very well be that in the two episodes mentioned, Sam helps save the day!! Also, I think there is a good possibility that Sam will have a more central role again in the second half of season nine, giving AT time to adjust to being back at work.

As to why you care so much about this TV show and what they do the Sam character---I have no idea, but I'm the same way. I also have never cared about a particular character in a TV show, and never even knew fandom existed until recently. I just like Sam alot---I feel protective of her, because I think she is a really good role model for girls and women, and boys and men!! I don't feel as strongly as you do about the way Sam has been written in the last two seasons---I still find her a wonderful, interesting, and competent character, but I do think there is a bit of an imbalance, and we need the Sam who is consistently brilliant and competent in Season nine. But I am with you--I have no idea why I care---Sam is just a tv character!!! But I think reading about AT and learning that she is such a great person herself and she also cares about Sam Carter, adds to my desire to be protective of the character she plays.

Comment

Dear Royal Photographer

How mayest we submit our personal photos for you to compile for your grand photoshoot? Is there a way that the loyal citizens can indeed, somehow privately, manage to reveal themselves for the Scrapbook?

Let us cogitate that a bit .... I'll show you mine if you show me yours. But how?

An intriguing idea, RP!

Jester PS Your rotating Romance Sig is just the best ever!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Dear Royal Photographer

How mayest we submit our personal photos for you to compile for your grand photoshoot? Is there a way that the loyal citizens can indeed, somehow privately, manage to reveal themselves for the Scrapbook?

Let us cogitate that a bit .... I'll show you mine if you show me yours. But how?

An intriguing idea, RP!

Jester PS Your rotating Romance Sig is just the best ever!
                    You can forward your pictures with your real and screen names to my hotmail address - missmarybethhouse at hotmail.com...

we could even include in the presentation book for AT... (of course I'm still working on my little addition)...

And thanks about the sig pic...I loved doing it and I still enjoy watching it...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      Hi Binkpmmc---I can try.

The spoilers don't sound that exciting for Sam, but to tell you the truth, the spoilers for Daniel and Teal'c don't sound exciting either. In fact, there is very little about Teal'c, and what there is sounds kind of boring. Daniel's spoilers revolve around Vala. This could be good for some of the fanbase, but for others like me, I am not excited about this storyline. The only really "exciting" spoilers involve Mitchell right now.

I just don't think we have enough detail about Carter's return in Beachhead.
                      I am disappointed about where she has been (I think the writers could have come up with something much more interesting), but maybe, just maybe, Sam gets to play competent Sam in Beachhead, because obviously they are asking for her help in an urgent situation and she is needed. So it could be good. I also agree with you that if Sam's little personal commitment involves Cassie, I would like this even though we won't see it on screen. I like Sam's display of compassion and caregiving toward Cassie. It is very believable.

It seems to me that JM and RCC continue to not give much away, and perhaps as you have said before, they want to keep the Sam fans wondering so that we will (or most of us) will watch to see how they have written Sam's return, and see what she actually has been doing and what she actually does in these episodes.

As far as the other spoiler, I like this character, so I am looking forward to his return. It could be that Sam plays a key role in this two-parter where she is integral to a good sci-fi story and hopefully once again is her truly competent compassionate self.

So, it could very well be that in the two episodes mentioned, Sam helps save the day!! Also, I think there is a good possibility that Sam will have a more central role again in the second half of season nine, giving AT time to adjust to being back at work.

As to why you care so much about this TV show and what they do the Sam character---I have no idea, but I'm the same way. I also have never cared about a particular character in a TV show, and never even knew fandom existed until recently. I just like Sam alot---I feel protective of her, because I think she is a really good role model for girls and women, and boys and men!! I don't feel as strongly as you do about the way Sam has been written in the last two seasons---I still find her a wonderful, interesting, and competent character, but I do think there is a bit of an imbalance, and we need the Sam who is consistently brilliant and competent in Season nine. But I am with you--I have no idea why I care---Sam is just a tv character!!! But I think reading about AT and learning that she is such a great person herself and she also cares about Sam Carter, adds to my desire to be protective of the character she plays.

Great response to bink, chocdoc! We are all feeling angsty and impatient and somewhat confused at this point in time. And we just have to be patient a little longer. AT is probably still learning to juggle her dual roles of actor and mom now and she, alone, knows just what she will be capable of. There probably were behind-the-scenes meetings with TPTB and the writers to find a win/win solution for both sides. While we're not too excited about what's being "leaked" so far, I think we should just take it with a grain of salt and withhold judgment 'til we get to view the first half of S9.

As to the Amanda mystique ... somehow, this lovely woman named Amanda Tapping has come into our lives and has charmed all of us. How do we love her? Let us count the ways ... and we have, in many of the posts on this ever-expanding thread.

I, like both of you, have never gotten hooked on a television show or personality quite this way. My adult kids are totally amused at mom's sudden enthusiasm for scifi and a Canadian actress they have never even heard of! In their eyes, I'm about one fry short of that happy meal! I can't explain and don't fully understand myself. I should be dating online not writing Samfic!

If I had to try to rationalize the whole Samanda experience, I guess I'd have to name the naturalness of AT - she seems to be the real thing. And she's the complete package: brains, beauty, wit ... what's not to love? But the underlying factor may be a sense of goodness - there is something good about Amanda which draws people in. I don't mean to make her a saint or put her on a pedestal. We live in a very hostile and negative world, surrounded by a lot of ugliness and meanness. Amanda just bursts forth and shines ... everything about her is alive. You can see it in her eyes and face. How refreshing is that? To be taken away, for a brief time, from all the craziness and pettiness and gravitate to the light that is Amanda! Think about the people in your own lives ... there aren't many persons who have the gift to enrich others by such a lively presence. Amanda has and does!
                      Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 May 2005, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Ok, time for some more captions

Last edited by Agent_Dark; 22 May 2005, 10:17 PM. Reason: Fixed photo

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

You can forward your pictures with your real and screen names to my hotmail address - missmarybethhouse at hotmail.com...

We could even include in the presentation book for AT... (of course I'm still working on my little addition)...
                          Royal Citizens of Samanda

Please follow the above instructions and email a photo of your royal self to the Court Photographer. Thereupon, a group photo shall be cleverly compiled and stored in Keeper's Samandan Scrapbook for the Queen.

I think we can keep this photo private for Court use offline. Unless the good citizens will vote to have it revealed here on the thread. Let us weigh the merits of both sides before deciding.

What say, oh yea?

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Ok, time for some more captions

"Do you want 'tough'? I'll show you 'tough' ... my name at the top of the credits, or I walk. It's non-negotiable!"

Comment

Evening All!

I found a link in another thread to more of the Cult Times article with Robert Cooper. - the article is on Stargate SG- Solutions site -http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ip....php?p=295&c=1

Here is a little quote:
                              At the time of our visit, the gang is mid-way through the season opener, but asked which episodes we should be antici¬pating most, Cooper exclaims, “All of them! They’re that good.” Pushed for a little more detail, the man relents, “I wrote the opening three-parter. As usual I didn’t set out to write a three-parter, I set out to write a two-parter and I am so darned long-winded that I got a third of the way through the first script and went, ‘I got a three-parter here’. So I ended up writing the first three episodes that kind of set everything up. Then Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie [promoted to executive producers themselves this year] wrote a wonderful romp - an amusing trip through Vala’s [Claudia Black] backstory - for the fourth episode. The fifth episode was written by Martin Gero, one of our writers on Atlantis, called The Powers That Be. It’s very funny and ultimately very poignant and furthers the introduction of our new baddies, one of whom is played by Julian Sands. He’s a wonderful, wonderful, creepy bad guy and he plays it beautifully. Then Brad Wright wrote Beach Head, which is a big Space Opera battle thing with some Goa'uld thrown in there for good measure. So it’s very cool.”

Reading this it sounds like Beach Head will be the 6th episode to air.
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                                Evening All!

I found a link in another thread to more of the Cult Times article with Robert Cooper. - the article is on Stargate SG- Solutions site -http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ip....php?p=295&c=1

Here is a little quote:
                                At the time of our visit, the gang is mid-way through the season opener, but asked which episodes we should be antici¬pating most, Cooper exclaims, “All of them! They’re that good.” Pushed for a little more detail, the man relents, “I wrote the opening three-parter. As usual I didn’t set out to write a three-parter, I set out to write a two-parter and I am so darned long-winded that I got a third of the way through the first script and went, ‘I got a three-parter here’. So I ended up writing the first three episodes that kind of set everything up. Then Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie [promoted to executive producers themselves this year] wrote a wonderful romp - an amusing trip through Vala’s [Claudia Black] backstory - for the fourth episode. The fifth episode was written by Martin Gero, one of our writers on Atlantis, called The Powers That Be. It’s very funny and ultimately very poignant and furthers the introduction of our new baddies, one of whom is played by Julian Sands. He’s a wonderful, wonderful, creepy bad guy and he plays it beautifully. Then Brad Wright wrote Beach Head, which is a big Space Opera battle thing with some Goa'uld thrown in there for good measure. So it’s very cool.”

Reading this it sounds like Beach Head will be the 6th episode to air.
                                Yes, sounds that way to me too! And Beachhead sounds like a pretty cool episode for Sam to come back in, big Space battles...

And actually, Sam's apparent 'Low key' return doesn't sound that bad after all... If she's walking back through the door to help save earth from a Big space battle... Doesn't sound low key to me!

Comment

Working...
                                X