Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia

I'm an INFJ with strong P tendencies. I always joke that I like organized chaos. Okay, so I usually have piles on my desk... but they're very neatly organized piles.

But Daniel is a very easy character for me to understand. Sam, too, because I have so many NT friends and family members (scientists, engineers and computer geeks)...
    ROTLOL Yes, Strix ... I tell my students when they enter my somewhat cluttered office that the piles they see are just "creative chaos"! Ha! Great minds ...

But, as Lida, our resident shrink, has pointed out ... the Myers-Briggs has to be taken with a grain of salt ... there's an interesting theory out there that the way you test in the inventory in your 20s and 30s actually then moves to the opposite traits once you are moving through midlife and your (Jungian) spiritual crisis is in full gear. Bet you didn't even know that was happening!

So, those who have a tendency to be very extroverted, may become more introverted, desire more time alone with their thoughts, live in the world of ideas, in the mind more ... and introverts may start to gravitate more to social activities and find people less threatening and more interesting. Again, just one theory among hundreds regarding the mysteries of the mind and who we are and how we operate.

Lida, I am taking liberties by calling you a "shrink" and do apologize if that's a bit bold. It's the Jester in me making me do it ... the Jester made me do it, Ma! Now you can see why the Royal Court needs a resident psychiatrist!!

Jester loves lying on couches (preferably with a warm body nearby).
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 May 2005, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Wow, T-Gate! What a great story!

Originally posted by T-Gate
      Hi Sally & Fellow Amanda/Sam Fans,

First of all, even though I mostly lurk anyway, I must hang my head in shame and confess that I life & time has not allowed to keep up with this thread as I would have liked. Which is crazy really because I love Amanda, and Sam is my favorite character and the only reason I'll be watching Season 9 at this point.

When SG first began I took an instant liking to the character of Sam and found something appealing about Amanda. It's one thing to like someone superficially though. For me to truly admire a person, I have to believe that the person is nice and has a good heart. After reading some interviews and hearing little stories here & there, I truly came to admire & love (platonically of course) Amanda.

I have a little story which shows the kind of person she is. It was during Gatecon 2001. Amanda was not scheduled to attend because the con happened to fall on the weekend Amanda was celebrating her wedding anniversary. While I was already greatly disappointed by that fact,
      9/11 happened. Although it was only a week & a half after 9/11, I went to the con anyway. Being a New Yorker, I was feeling totally down and devasted. Well, lo and behold! Who do you think made a surprise visit
      to the con on the Saturday morning? YEP! Amanda actually came and spoke on stage for a little while while she was on her way to the airport to celebrate her anniversary! Let's face it. She did not have to do that.
      While being at the con was generally a good thing because it allowed me to forget for a little while, it was Amanda's caring visit which brought real joy and brightness to my dark heart.

I think that was really great of her to do that for her fans, and I will NEVER forget that.

Toni
      Again.....such a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

My gosh, I just watched the re-run of Forever in a Day ... forget Sha'are dying over and over again and Daniel looking angsty over and over again ... what was the most important scene in the whole episode? The moment of impact? The moment that should live in our minds long after Sha'are bites the dust and Daniel reclaims his mojo ...

Are you ready? It's the scene in Daniel's apartment with Jack and Sam ... my Lord, I never realized or noticed before tonight ... but ...

JACK AND SAM ARE BOTH WEARING LEATHER ... SAME SCENE ... WITHIN AN ARM'S REACH OF EACH OTHER ... THEY PROBABLY COULD SMELL THE LEATHER FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE JACKETS ... HOLY HANNAH ... HOW HOT IS THAT?!
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 May 2005, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          This reminds me of something I've been meaning to mention on the thread. There is a moment where you can see that introverted shyness especially well ... in the real Sam:

In end-of-S7, Lost City, when Sam goes to visit Jack and it becomes very awkward very fast for both of them ... I was very aware of her nervous gesture with the hands and sleeves of her denim jacket. After Jack shoots down her questions about Sarah and whatever, she's standing there with egg on her face and deciding that it was a mistake to come over. And, then, watch her hands - she does the "geeky Sam" thing (only this time it's the real Sam) - she nervously pulls on her sleeves, pulls them down and I think then Jack indirectly hints at her staying because of the beer ... honestly ... those two ... will they ever just get it on?!!

The little gesture with the sleeves only became apparent in hindsight after having seen her wonderful use of physical humor in Moebius.
          I SAW IT TOO! (but I never thought to bring it up here...bad Über, BAD!!! )

I just watched Lost City again (I just got Season 7 DVDs) and I noticed that particular mannerism and immediately thought of GeekSam from Moebius. I guess in WHATEVER reality, that's Sam's subconscious way of expressing nervousness...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            Exactly the spot I would have suggested. Reminds me of Wordsworth's "The Daffodils."
            Yes, I think many of us agree ... this is our mind's eye view of the Kingdom of Samanda and I hope, dear Astro, that you can use it in the Samanda Scrapbook!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              I think it would be nice to include that info. Even if we are crazed, we're a *diverse* and educated bunch of whackos.

Good thing we have a psychiatrist on the premises in Lida.
              Yes, nothing to fear
              The Royal Psychiatrist is near

If we must shed a tear
              And cry in our beer

She'll be there to cheer
              Or maybe just sneer

Our Royal Doc is no slouch
              While we're on the couch

She may just be chilling
              But we'll get the billing

Yeah, we may be whacko
              But then so is Jacko

One fry short of a happy meal
              What is fake and what is real

Doc may put us to the test
              Samanda is our cuckoo's nest

She may find, though,
              Before too long,
              That she's become a part
              Of this crazy throng

GATES OF SAMANDA ... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 May 2005, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                Hey everyone! Thanks to all those who wished me a happy birthday! I've been catching up on all the posts and you've all said such beautiful things about AT that I really dont know how I can add to it! Just to say that she's an amazing role model...she has all the qualities I most desire - grace, courage, compassion and humour.
                I guess in a way many of us are obsessed with the show, or with her - I know my parents certainly think I am! But it's not a bad stalkerish, taking over every aspect of your life, cant seperate reality from fiction obsessive...I think that everyone here on this thread has a wonderful respect for Amanda and for what goes into the making of the show (even if we dont always agree with it.) I think that, for me at least, Amanda's main appeal is not only her amazing acting skills, but her humanity. She doesn't pretend to be perfect, and she's very gracious and down to earth - well, from what I know and have heard about her! IT's not like I've met her or anything. But I can imagine her having a bad day, or being tired and fed up or frustrated about something...I love and respect her because she's not the perfect 'hollywood goddess' but a good and talented human being. She's the sort of person I want to be, and if being 'obssessed' with her will help me accomplish that, then okay!
                From our newest little Royal Page ... what a great post and tribute to Amanda ... Astro, can we put this in our collection too?!

Comment

Here's something I've been mulling over for ever since we finished the Ultimate Sam Poll -where the top three episodes were Grace, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know and Singularity.

Now what I think is cool is that Jolinar's Memories/TDYK was chosen as the top episode more often than In The Line of Duty. Why do I think it's cool? - for two reasons. First, as Coley and chocdoc and a few others have commented when trying to choose the best Sam episodes, In The Line Of Duty was actually much more about Jolinar - we only saw a few seconds of Sam at the beginning of the episode and a few quiet minutes of Sam at the end. So ITLOD was a good episode for AT acting - and a great episode for future potential character development for Sam Carter... but the episode itself, was not really about Sam.

Jolinar's Memories/TDYK, on the other hand, was all about Sam... We learn about some of the ramifications of her possession by Jolinar.. we learn some things about Jolinar - but we learn through Sam - Sam has to feel it and relive it. Tokra 1&2 and Seth were also great episodes for showing us wonderful insights into Sam 'after Jolinar'. In Tokra 1&2, we saw more of Jolinar's memories, but the scenes were more about how Sam coped and dealt with Jolinar's legacy. And the scene on the dunes with Martouf! Wow... schizophrenic - just a wonderful scene. In Seth, of course, we got to see Sam use the ribbon device - and her inner turmoil at what she was now capable of.

At any rate, what I'm trying to say is that I find it really cool that the fans recognized Jolinar's Memories as such a great Sam episode. I think that having Sam 'get Goa'ulded' and then have Jolinar die in Sam was much better for the character development of Sam - better than if Jolinar had stayed in Sam and Sam had become a Tokra.

The potential for emotional trauma and angst - and the wonderful plotlines that could come out of Sam having a Goa'uld symbiote die in her! We have tramautized, damaged Sam... somewhat enhanced, perhaps by the ability to perhaps work some Goa'uld tech... but it's Sam working through it all.

So what I'm trying to say is the same thing that so many folks have said in earlier posts - ITLOD was a great episode for the scifi aspects and potential that it gave Sam's character - we're only limited by our imagination!

Unfortunately the overall plotline of Jolinar's legacy was lost in the 'vast tapestry that is Stargate' - but it was still a fantastic development for the character of Sam Carter.

----------

Looking at the episodes that got the most votes for the Ultimate Sam Episode, we have

Grace - whumped-Sam (concussed) works to save the Prometheus while hallucinating... we get to see 'inside Sam' just a bit
                  Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know - Jolinar's legacy - Sam deals with Jolinar's memories... Martouf... and we get to see Sam and her father, Jacob.
                  Singularity - the softer side of Sam. Empathetic and caring. Brave.
                  In The Line Of Duty - sets the stage for fantastic future character development (underutilized in future seasons)
                  Death Knell - Soldier Sam. Survivor Sam. Smart Sam. - oh, and McGyver Sam (always fun)
                  Foothold - all-around kick-ass Sam. Competent Sam. You Go Girl!

What a wonderful collection of great Sam episodes!
                  Last edited by astrogeologist; 18 May 2005, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, nothing to fear
                    The Royal Psychiatrist is near

If we must shed a tear
                    And cry in our beer

She'll be there to cheer
                    Or maybe just sneer

Our Royal Doc is no slouch
                    While we're on the couch

She may just be chilling
                    But we'll get the billing

Yeah, we may be whacko
                    But then so is Jacko

One fry short of a happy meal
                    What is fake and what is real

Doc may put us to the test
                    Samanda is our cuckoo's nest

She may find, though,
                    Before too long,
                    That she's become a part
                    Of this crazy throng

GATES OF SAMANDA ... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
                    Another wonderful and fun poem, Chopin! Thanks so much!

*Special* Stock of Royal Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                      Hey everyone! Thanks to all those who wished me a happy birthday! I've been catching up on all the posts and you've all said such beautiful things about AT that I really dont know how I can add to it! Just to say that she's an amazing role model...she has all the qualities I most desire - grace, courage, compassion and humour.
                      I guess in a way many of us are obsessed with the show, or with her - I know my parents certainly think I am! But it's not a bad stalkerish, taking over every aspect of your life, cant seperate reality from fiction obsessive...I think that everyone here on this thread has a wonderful respect for Amanda and for what goes into the making of the show (even if we dont always agree with it.) I think that, for me at least, Amanda's main appeal is not only her amazing acting skills, but her humanity. She doesn't pretend to be perfect, and she's very gracious and down to earth - well, from what I know and have heard about her! IT's not like I've met her or anything. But I can imagine her having a bad day, or being tired and fed up or frustrated about something...I love and respect her because she's not the perfect 'hollywood goddess' but a good and talented human being. She's the sort of person I want to be, and if being 'obssessed' with her will help me accomplish that, then okay!
                      From our newest little Royal Page ... what a great post and tribute to Amanda ... Astro, can we put this in our collection too?!
                      Done!

Comment

It was before they were really

Spoiler:
                        hot for each other, so they were able to control themselves!

Comment

Okay, this is my very first attempt at this ... stand back, please ... not responsible for exploding monitors or shooting stars ... whatever ... let's see if this works:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...irkChimera.jpg

Captions anyone?
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 May 2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

my theory on geek sam is that both jacob and her mom were killed, so she grew up in foster care/ward of the state. and instead of blossoming within the rules and regs of the military, she sorta introverted, taking refuge in her books, just like our sam did, but never developed the confidence in herself to stand up for herself

as to her dress style, well i think she was trying to cover up herself, and how she looks. she was trying to minimize her looks as a sort of protection
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to mention on the thread. There is a moment where you can see that introverted shyness especially well ... in the real Sam:

In end-of-S7, Lost City, when Sam goes to visit Jack and it becomes very awkward very fast for both of them ... I was very aware of her nervous gesture with the hands and sleeves of her denim jacket. After Jack shoots down her questions about Sarah and whatever, she's standing there with egg on her face and deciding that it was a mistake to come over. And, then, watch her hands - she does the "geeky Sam" thing (only this time it's the real Sam) - she nervously pulls on her sleeves, pulls them down and I think then Jack indirectly hints at her staying because of the beer ... honestly ... those two ... will they ever just get it on?!!

The little gesture with the sleeves only became apparent in hindsight after having seen her wonderful use of physical humor in Moebius.
                              wow, i didn't notice that! i guess i'll have to watch that ep and scene again? (oh, darn ).

i think this adds an even greater level of depth to sam, because i never knew 'our' sam had the same nervous tick. i think that's cool! (and cool of amanda to not only use it on both sams, but to knock it up a few notches with geeky sam)

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Introducing Royal Princess Sophia Mary Rose ...
                                who has come to visit the Queen and play with Olivia ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...end1204101.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X