Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
    Unfortunately, being female doesn't automatically mean that a person is smart or far-seeing, traits that I would not necessarily associate with anybody at Sci-Fi at the moment.
    It doesn't?

Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
      OK, I capitulate. Season 6 it is then...

Another favourite moment:
      http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...0caps/su59.jpg
      I loved the relationship between the two of them. Sam finally had someone on the team that she could not only relate to professionally, but also have a great friendship with. It was so important for her, and something that was sorely missing afterwards.
      I missed Jonas for that very reason. He had a very deep connection and friendship with Sam that she didn't really have with anyone else. She kind of became the big sister. I suspect that Teal'c was meant to do alot of guiding but I think Sam became the better role model (can't think of better word) for him. Season 6 was a really solid season for me, it worked and I think Jonas attributed to that. Sam seemed stronger in this season too!

But then she's always been a strong character so... that really does go without saying... but I've said it anyway.

Wendy
      Hugs
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
        It doesn't?

I know, it's shocking isn't it? You would think being a woman would quite literally mean that. But when you look in the dictionary those things are listed under Woman.

I think, however, women do tend to have the upper hand but then I believe men think the same but in reverse so I could be bias.

Just look at Sam and Amanda... nuff said!

Wendy
        Hugs
        sigpic
        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

It will depend on the background of the exec. Bear in mind what working in male-dominated business and finance can do to a woman's personality (I live in London and City women sometimes have to become what they despise-its a vicious circle). At the moment she obviously thinks that sci-fi's audience is predominantly 14 year old boys. I think the revolution (if I may be permitted to call it that ) will in part come from the women who grew up watching science fiction/fantasy in the nineties and this decade-where the shows did have great female characters, and gradually began to cater for their growing female demographic-we're begun to feel that we can write, conceive and actively get involved in this industry and this particular genre. Unfortunately, when we have more 'wacky' ideas, people aren't so keen. Though, as previously stated, female execs can be so important-their influence on the film industry over the last decade has been crucial.
          And a slightly odd example to stress my above point about female writers. Japan, about 10-15 years ago. A popular girls' comic, called 'Fushigi Yuugi' is being considered to be animated. The first response by the execs was simply this:
          'No shoujo (girls) anime was ever a hit'.
          It was huge. One the really popular anime shows of the nineties. And it helped to get support for some really great fantasy shows either aimed directly at females, or at both genders, such as 'Escaflowne' (and for a animation industry that's usually divided down gender lines when it comes to the teenage audience, thats a big deal).
          sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

I have noticed that the stereotype for science-fiction lovers is young teenage boys and socially enept middle-aged men. When I say I watch science fiction the most I always get strange looks because I'm female. This is clearly because that stereotype has not faded yet at all, and that's clear if a female exec to sci-fi even believes that their main demographic is 14 year old boys.

My Dad always uses my room as the perfect example of the modern-day science fiction fan. It has sci-fi posters and a nice sized DVD collection of mostly science fiction with purple wallpaper and butterfly lights on the ceiling. It's a new era.

I like the idea of the revolution. And hey, I'll be apart of it.

Wendy
            Hugs
            sigpic
            Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
              What do you think Sam craves at night?
              Taco Bell! Wait...that's me...
              Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              mmmhm, hot bread!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm a bread nut. I could live on bread alone i swear. Hot bread adn real butter. my ultimate crave
              *drools*

Sam would crave...gummi bears?

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                I have noticed that the stereotype for science-fiction lovers is young teenage boys and socially enept middle-aged men. When I say I watch science fiction the most I always get strange looks because I'm female. This is clearly because that stereotype has not faded yet at all, and that's clear if a female exec to sci-fi even believes that their main demographic is 14 year old boys.

My Dad always uses my room as the perfect example of the modern-day science fiction fan. It has sci-fi posters and a nice sized DVD collection of mostly science fiction with purple wallpaper and butterfly lights on the ceiling. It's a new era.

Wendy
                Hugs
                Amen We could march. Make banners. Or failing that, rustle up some sigs
                I get plenty of strange looks. Though men are usually pleased to find a young woman who thinks 'Alien' is a milestone in cinema- intelligent guys my age and those who grew up with all the great sci-fi movies in the seventies.
                I also have purple walls. And toys. And huge quantities of sci-fi and anime sit alongside a variety such as 'Some Like it Hot', 'Breakfast at Tiffanys', 'Withnail and I', 'Rocky Horror' Disney and classics British sitcoms. And I'm indicative of most of my friends-admittedly with a disturbing quantity of DVDs, eighties pop music...and shoes The fact that I'm posting on this thread and simultaneously watching French cinema and writing notes on Greek tragedy tells you that those demographs are wide of the mark.
                And strangely, enough, Sam is part of the 'revolution' not just for women, but for guys- they respect her intelligence and like her personality. They understand her. The execs are also insulting the intelligence of young men as well-guys who grew up watching shows like 'Buffy'-which was full of great, well-realised female characters.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                  Taco Bell! Wait...that's me...

*drools*

Sam would crave...gummi bears?
                  Skittles?

I think she'd crave something quick and easy to do, y'know? Like Ice Cream with Blue Jello.

I often crave fried eggs... I have no idea why.

Wendy
                  Hugs
                  sigpic
                  Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Amen We could march. Make banners. Or failing that, rustle up some sigs
                    I get plenty of strange looks. Though men are usually pleased to find a young woman who thinks 'Alien' is a milestone in cinema- intelligent guys my age and those who grew up with all the great sci-fi movies in the seventies.
                    I also have purple walls. And toys. And huge quantities of sci-fi and anime sit alongside a variety such as 'Some Like it Hot', 'Breakfast at Tiffanys', 'Withnail and I', 'Rocky Horror' Disney and classics British sitcoms. And I'm indicative of most of my friends-admittedly with a disturbing quantity of DVDs, eighties pop music...and shoes The fact that I'm posting on this thread and simultaneously watching French cinema and writing notes on Greek tragedy tells you that those demographs are wide of the mark.
                    And strangely, enough, Sam is part of the 'revolution' not just for women, but for guys- they respect her intelligence and like her personality. They understand her. The execs are also insulting the intelligence of young men as well-guys who grew up watching shows like 'Buffy'-which was full of great, well-realised female characters.
                    Amen.

I know people always raise their eyebrows at my DVD collection. There's this huge Stargate section, and then there is this nice little sci-fi bit with some classic series like Lost In Space, Doctor Who and Taken, then you've got Will & Grace, That '70s Show, Law and Order: Criminal Intent and then (cause I'm into theater and music, with me being a singer and all) you've got The Sound of Music, Down With Love, The Wizard Of Oz, What About Bob? Bugsy Malone, Dirty Dancing, Shrek... etc etc etc. People always seem to think that an individual fits into a certain thing perfectly with no deviation and it can sometimes send people into a bit of a confuzzled state when I tell them differently.

I don't fit into a demographic, nope, not me. I'm in a world of my own.

I agree that it's characters like Sam Carter and Buffy Summers, that have helped to set the pace to the revolution (I think that is the best way ) and when all is said and done, it'll be these shows that'll be remembered for doing it that way.

Wendy
                    Hugs

PS, looking up at the post I'm realising that I've just given you like the biggest hints of some of the bigger aspects of my personality. D'oh!
                    sigpic
                    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

Wendy
                      Hugs
                      People think I only like scifi because of my husband's interest in it. The fools! I was cancelling dates in college because of new episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Science fiction is just a great genre. Good scifi makes you think about things in a new way, is open to interpretation, and entertaining. I hate the stereotype, because it keeps many young women from giving the genre a try. I'm so grateful that both my son and my daughter appreciate the entertainment value of science fiction, and I'm grateful for Amanda's portrayal of Sam for making my daughter see that girls can do science.
                      Last edited by Gate gal; 05 February 2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

It will depend on the background of the exec. Bear in mind what working in male-dominated business and finance can do to a woman's personality (I live in London and City women sometimes have to become what they despise-its a vicious circle). At the moment she obviously thinks that sci-fi's audience is predominantly 14 year old boys. I think the revolution (if I may be permitted to call it that ) will in part come from the women who grew up watching science fiction/fantasy in the nineties and this decade-where the shows did have great female characters, and gradually began to cater for their growing female demographic-we're begun to feel that we can write, conceive and actively get involved in this industry and this particular genre. Unfortunately, when we have more 'wacky' ideas, people aren't so keen. Though, as previously stated, female execs can be so important-their influence on the film industry over the last decade has been crucial.
                        And a slightly odd example to stress my above point about female writers. Japan, about 10-15 years ago. A popular girls' comic, called 'Fushigi Yuugi' is being considered to be animated. The first response by the execs was simply this:
                        'No shoujo (girls) anime was ever a hit'.
                        It was huge. One the really popular anime shows of the nineties. And it helped to get support for some really great fantasy shows either aimed directly at females, or at both genders, such as 'Escaflowne' (and for a animation industry that's usually divided down gender lines when it comes to the teenage audience, thats a big deal).
                        I wonder if Sci-Fi execs ever attend sci-fi conventions? If so, I wonder if they've ever noticed that women are represented heavily, and, in some cases, outnumber the men... (Xena cons? 90% female.) Unless there is a huge difference in numbers between the genders of casual viewers and the more rabid fans (which is a possibility, I suppose, although it would surprise me), I think they've pegged their audience wrong. I think it's older and more diverse than they believe. Or maybe they know, but they want to court a different demographic anyway...

My LJ

Comment

OK, I capitulate. Season 6 it is then...

Caped crusaders (OK, trenchcoats...)
                          After their careers at the SGC ended, Sam, Teal'c, and Jonas were invited to join another top secret branch of the government....The Men in Black.

Comment

If my insane melee of a sci-fi show ever gets made, we'll know who inspired me-I'm not sure how'll they will take it, however (in the words of a friend who I 'elected' as co-writer, to a curious mutual friend-"It's insane, this idea of hers. Completely insane. But there are this bits of genius...")

Sam and her boys.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                              People think I only like scifi because of my husband's interest in it. The fools! I was cancelling dates in college because of new episodes of Star Treck: The Next Generation. Science fiction is just a great genre. Good scifi makes you think about things in a new way, is open to interpretation, and entertaining. I hate the stereotype, because it keeps many young women from giving the genre a try. I'm so grateful that both my son and my daughter appreciate the entertainment value of science fiction, and I'm grateful for Amanda's portrayal of Sam for making my daughter see that girls can do science.
                              I know it's always considered 'geeky' and 'male' to be sci-fi, and I always remember my Grandma telling me that I watch Star Trek because my Dad watches it. I also remember telling her that I sometimes watch it without my Dad.

I think Sci-fi is one of the best story telling tools that there is. There are no limits, no boundaries and you can tell any story you want. You can go tell stories from the past, future and the present, you can mix it all up, you can look at what is happening today and stick it somewhere else, that's the way storytelling should be. The Outer Limits does some great stories. Amanda did one of those and I've yet to see it

Sam is actually one of the strongest women I know of in sci-fi, if there any more none of them are coming to mind right now. I certainly consider her a role-model and I've already made the decision that if I ever have any daughters that one of the shows I will watch around them would be SG-1 so that they could at least get the chance to see a woman who is strong, intelligent and human all at the same time.

Wendy
                              Hugs
                              sigpic
                              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                                I found an interesting article titled "Women Working in the Media" that was both disturbing and irritating. I thought I'd share it with those who are interested in exact percentages. I've always wondered about how women played a part behind the scenes, but I could never find the figures.

ETA: Canada's figures seem to be a bit higher.
                                The presence of at least one female executive producer on a program doubled the number of female writers. On programs with no female executive producers, female writers accounted for only 13% of all writers.
                                Hmm, haven't we been saying this for nearly a decade now? That the show needed more female writers? For the first few years, Stargate seemed to follow suit with the industry and then suddenly there were no female writers. I guess what we should have been asking for was more female EP's!

Comment

Working...
                                X