Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    Laira lost me long, long before The Radio Affair. She was creepy, Carter-in-law relation notwithstanding.
    Explain creepy.

Oh, and isn't Sam just a great character?
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      Explain creepy.
      see above

Oh, and isn't Sam just a great character?

Comment

While I agree with you that jealousy is an underlying cause of so much disdain for female characters, I just want to add that Sam/Jack shippers were equally vehement in their disdain of Laira who's only real fault was that she and Jack got to do that which only shipficers have been able to get Sam and Jack to do.

And should I bring up what Pete got to do?
        hey, laira, known among many ardent shippers as 'she who shall not be named' has nothing on poor pete

he's known as Ptui and, in my opinion, has beenunfairly bashed in fic iwth the stalker/wife beater/violent personality

did i like what he did for sam? sure. did i like how she acted aroudn him? not really. in this case the writers wrote pete as themselves and sam as how they'd love theri woman to act - ie it's ok honey, as long as you're all right, all is forgiven

sam was messed with to faciliate the plot and the boys' image of what a 'good' woman should be.

and laira??? i agree that she nearly got tael'c killed, but she didn't know the situatino he was in. and how do we know that she wasn't trying to protect jack? he'd just started to recover from what had to be one hell of a depression being trapped and here was sam's voice, bringing it all back again

I don't like what she did, but i can understand WHY she did it.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr,jackson
          * sneaking in again and looking around *
          Hey, no sneaking required Just pull up a chair, sit down and make yourself comfortable

....ah, no not there..... well I guess Oooober won't mind you sitting on her lap, as long as you join that site and become her friend

lord knows no one else will
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Is Jack so forgettable that you want a character to develop a relationship with him, sleep with him, and then just say, "Oh, Jack, your friends called. Guess you'll be going now. Here's your hat what's your hurry?"
            Ah, you see, if it were that good a relationship, then would she assume that he would just abandon her like that?

Contacting his people is not the same as contacting his people and automatically leaving.

If you love someone, would you even think about deceiving them? Wouldn't you go running to themm knowing how delighted they would be to re-establish contact with colleagues, friends, family, their entire world?

And wouldn't you trust that if your relationship was worth it, it would continue one way or another?

There wasn't an either/or issue. Jack and Laira could have carried on as a couple either way.

Maybe that's what annoyed me. The impartience and drama thing is Teal'c's safety - yes. But what annoyed me was the delay regardless. That she even thought about depriving him of all that bothers me. But she made the right choice, so I wasn't that mad at her.
            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              hey, laira, known among many ardent shippers as 'she who shall not be named' has nothing on poor pete

he's known as Ptui and, in my opinion, has beenunfairly bashed in fic iwth the stalker/wife beater/violent personality
              Pete was great for a while, and then suddenly went very. strange. indeed. And yeah, Sam was written as fantasy-material in that relationship, until she responded to the "very strangeness" in a way which made me breathe a sigh of relief.
              scarimor

Comment

Laira fought her emotions and overcame her obstacles just in time to do the right thing. That makes her more heroic, in my eyes, than if she'd merely jumped up and ran like the wind to Jack to tell him the good news that he could finally leave his new life with her behind.
                How about the good news that she could come back to Earth with him?

If that did not occur to her, me wonders why.
                scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                  How about the good news that she could come back to Earth with him?

If that did not occur to her, me wonders why.
                  Laira and Jack are cut from the same cloth. Both were ultimately married to their obligations. Her place was with her people, Jack's was with his, She knew this. She knew full well that she and Jack were going to end, right then and there, that day. She knew exactly how fragile her hold on Jack was.

Should that have made it any easier for her to let go? I'm glad, from a story viewpoint, that it wasn't. Love is, first and foremost, MINE! YOU CAN'T TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME, selfish and jealous. Then the true foundation of love, nobility and the desire to make your partner happy, even if it tears you apart, shines through, and you do the right thing.

A lot of fans treat Sam the same way for "using" Pete. She wasn't creepy, just clumsy with love, as is true for her character. the thing is, she let it go awfully far before she finally did the right thing and let Pete go.

Good thing nobody's life was at stake, eh?
                  Gracie

Comment

Oooh, trust me, there were reams of the stuff, and not just on this forum.

The most common complaints: she got what Sam couldn't, she was a slut, she got what Sam couldn't, she got Jack drunk, she got what Sam couldn't, she didn't care about Jack; all she wanted was to get laid/pregnant, and, she got what Sam couldn't. And the list grows more surreal, to include, among other things, that she knew Teal'c's situation - somehow - and wanted him to die.

Because I really liked the character, I was likely more aware of the crit than most, though some have PMed me that they were equally bemused over Laira's rough treatment by the fans.
                    Yeah, when I was new to the fandom and had decided I liked S/J ship, that's all I saw. However, after watching the episode, I couldn't quite see why she was so despised. I mean, sure she was a little bland, but beyond that... she wasn't a horrible person.

Comment

I saw your sig, Dancer of Spaz and that reminded me: how's it going? Are lots of folks signing up?
                      Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                        Thank you Sky...when will we get the rest??
                        Yes, Sky. I read the first two... volumes?... a while ago, and I really like how you've delved into this
                        Spoiler:
                        rogue life of theirs, where they have to work for what they get. And, as usual, you've managed to create a gen story, where one could read some S/J ship into it if they wanted to.
                        And with that last bit of info having been revealed, I hope you update post haste!

Spoiler:
                        Though I'm still concerned about that warning... I'd say you've killed enough!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          She knew the stargate was buried, and buried so deeply that Jack's efforts hadn't been able to do much. She knew that Sam was in radio contact and cannot have been unaware of the possibility that somebody would be sent through - who else would Sam have been talking to via radio? She chose not to share this information with Jack, whom she knew to be desperate to return to Earth.
                          She "knew" in her heart and her reasoning that the gate was _gone_ She even told Jack so. She couldn't have known how strong the gate was; even the more knowledgable Gen Hammond at first theorized that the gate must have been destroyed. For Laira, the gate was destroyed, like the village had been, and Jack's fruitless digging must have reinforced her belief.

Sam's idea was revolutionary, even for her tech-savvy Earth peers. No one from Edora could have possibly expected her to come up with such a solution.

Laira had no hope of imagining how or why she was hearing Sam's voice over the mysterious box Jack kept on his jacket. There was absolutely nothing in Sam's short communiques to hint at the idea - absurd as it would be for someone of Laira's background - that someone from another planet was underground and digging his way up. When she thought of Earth, she'd logically look skywards as Sam would have taught her about planets in space, not groundwards.

When she heard the voice, Laira looked, not down at the ground, as though she thought the gate was buried, but around her, as though she expected to see Sam, herself. That was a logical, natural response for someone in her position with no experience whatsoever with technology. (It was also good acting, I thought.)
                          Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            Laira lost me long, long before The Radio Affair. She was creepy, Carter-in-law relation notwithstanding. She was all 'Fresh meat! *drool drool rub hands* Give me babies!' :shudder:
                            <looks at all the DROOL and THUNK threads on GW> Hummm, yes, I see what you mean....
                            Gracie

Comment

for all we knew, laira thought sam & co were coming in a ship and waited for said ship to show up.

then when it didn't she told jack. Jack put 2 and 2 together and knew it had to be the gate

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                Yes, Sky. I read the first two... volumes?... a while ago, and I really like how you've delved into this
                                Spoiler:
                                rogue life of theirs, where they have to work for what they get. And, as usual, you've managed to create a gen story, where one could read some S/J ship into it if they wanted to.
                                And with that last bit of info having been revealed, I hope you update post haste!

Spoiler:
                                Though I'm still concerned about that warning... I'd say you've killed enough!
                                part 2 will go up on ff.net tonight, it's already out on the mailing lists. I'll do a part a day then when it's fully posted, it'll go up on gw and my site

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X