Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    I totally agree, and I feel your pain, rage and frustration.

And yet only Sam was shown feeling sick.
    I dont remember that much of the movie, but werent some of the guys sick the first time they went through? BTW COTG occured those guys had been through at least twice (note that even in these early eps that comming BACK through the stargate didnt have the same frost affect so I think hte recalibration of the gate fits in well with the previously established cannon).
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      I dont remember that much of the movie, but werent some of the guys sick the first time they went through? BTW COTG occured those guys had been through at least twice (note that even in these early eps that comming BACK through the stargate didnt have the same frost affect so I think hte recalibration of the gate fits in well with the previously established cannon).
      That or the ice machine broke down
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I totally agree, and I feel your pain, rage and frustration.
        D'OH! I forgot my Favouritist One of All!
        Spoiler:
        "We didn't do a very good job showing Carter in command, so we'll give that to The New Guy!"

And yet only Sam was shown feeling sick.
        I hear ya, but see AGateFan's reply. That's the same way I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          Oops, one last thing: I'm not sure we've seen that about Cam either. We've seen him be rash in his decision-making, but that's not equivalent to thrill-seeking.
          But thrill-seeking requires a certain degree of rashness, don't you agree?

I just think it shows in his personality that Cam is more of a thrill-seeker than Sam's character is - again - shown to be.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
            Spoiler:
            the hand device thing was horrible. ok, sam's uncomfortable with it, fine. but at least ADDRESS it. it felt extremely like vala was purposefully shoving it in her face, which makes NO sense given the friendship that was supposedly building throughout the rest of the ep.
            guys, i really don't mean that i think any of you don't know what stargate is anymore, or that you have too low standards. i don't. in fact, i'm not sure why i don't see what you do. i really wish i did because i wanted to have fun with this. please don't take it the wrong way
            Sorry if this has already been stated but..
            Spoiler:
            I was under the impression that it was not easy for Sam to use the healing device...that it took a lot for her to get it to work...with Vala it seemed to be an easy task...amybe that's why she uses it more readily...I could be wrong but that's my take on it.

Don't worry about it PR...we still love ya!!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Well in Space Race we did see her in her motorcylce outfit carrying her helmet, unfortuneately, I don't think the PTB allow Amanda to do scenes where she is riding a motor bike
              But Jack did ask her if she was speeding again when she mentioned she was dating a cop...but I don't know if that's what you are looking for
              Nope. Doesn't qualify because it's all tell.

I want to see the cop hand her a ticket. I want to see file footage of a leather-clad female form riding a motorcycle, then cut to Sam getting off a bike in the parking lot. Surely the insurance companies would let her dismount a parked bike! They let her ride a horse in Emancipation(or let us think it was her, anyways. Could have been a stunt double, I suppose.)
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

In WATERGATE she didnt seem to have any issues with the skydiving. I have to watch it again to see if she was very happy about it but I think she was. Teal'c notsomuch.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Nope. Doesn't qualify because it's all tell.

I want to see the cop hand her a ticket. I want to see file footage of a leather-clad female form riding a motorcycle, then cut to Sam getting off a bike in the parking lot. Surely the insurance companies would let her dismount a parked bike! They let her ride a horse in Emancipation(or let us think it was her, anyways. Could have been a stunt double, I suppose.)
                  but that would take time to set up and show these things, which for some reason they didn't do, just because the writers didn't show it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I mean they don't show them going to the bathroom, but I'm sure they do
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

But thrill-seeking requires a certain degree of rashness, don't you agree?
                    That's going in the wrong direction, logically speaking.

I just think it shows in his personality that Cam is more of a thrill-seeker than Sam's character is - again - shown to be.
                    OK, wait, there was that "Bullets bounce" thing, you're right. (I'm just guessing that applies because I don't remember the scene at all. I never made it thru any of the first five eps of S9 in the 3 or more times that I tried.)

I went to look for good caps of Carter diving from the plane in Watergate and flying backward into the event horizon in 2001, but I didn't have any luck. (Kat?) I recall seeing anticipation and exhiliration (in 2001: after she transitioned from worrying about Faxon, natch), but I could be misremembering.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I'll take "Because the Mostly Prim and Proper Air Force Colonel/Theoretical Astrophysicist is a Big Time Adrenaline Junkie" for $600, Alex.
                      Great response, Ooober,
                      Yeah, but, in all fairness, we've seen that in Cam's character, whereas, we've merely been told that about Sam's character.

Challenge:
                      Show us adrenaline junkie Sam. By this I mean she has to be doing something beyond what everyone else is doing, and her enjoyment should show up in the scene.

IMO, the writers tell us Sam is an AJ but don't deliver in the show dept. A prime example is in COTG. She blithely states that she's pulled out of a simulated bombing run at x number of Gs, and yet, when she goes through the gate for the first time, instead of having that wild look of the adrenaline junkie in her eyes, she's sitting on the steps about to be sick. Has anyone else, before or after, felt like they were gonna be sick? No, just the girl... er... the adrenaline junkie. <grrrrr>

As for Space Race, I didn't care for the ep and I, personally didn't see much action, AJ Sam. Flying that ship was like sitting at a desk.

Sam's a good soldier, but an AJ? <shrugs> I don't see it. I wish I could.
                      Now, I could be wrong (and probably am), but didn't the 'nausea and throwing up after-exiting-the-wormhole come from the movie? And in COTG they made it come across as if Sam was the only greenhorn for wormhole travel (although you'd have thought that at least a couple of other team team-members would have been new to going through). To me, they made it come across as if it was something you got used to. But then, like most things in the series, they really didn't mention it much again.

ETA: And reading further posts, I see that DEM has already answered this...
                      Originally posted by DEM
                      I don't recall specifics, but I do know that the first trip in the movie was a bad one for all of them. The writers set about in the pilot doing away with that effect by saying it's something that happens to everyone the first time through and then in a later ep by saying that a recalibration of the 'gate eliminated it altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                        Sorry if this has already been stated but..
                        Spoiler:
                        I was under the impression that it was not easy for Sam to use the healing device...that it took a lot for her to get it to work...with Vala it seemed to be an easy task...amybe that's why she uses it more readily...I could be wrong but that's my take on it.
                        i think it has been, but you're right. i just found the scene pointless since they didn't actually address anything.
                        Originally posted by chelle db
                        Don't worry about it PR...we still love ya!!
                        THAT, on the other hand, was not stated.

i think you're right about the skydiving. do'h! i said it! she's always seemed rather excited to fly as well. but you're right, it's been mostly tell. but i also agree with DEM uh oh, we've never really seen it with mitchell either. yes, he's rash, but while that can lead to AJ, it doesn't IMPLY so. i think they're about equal actually, except for the stereotypical* angles (man/woman, scientist/pilot, etc).

*not trying to imply anyone buys into stereotypes.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Originally posted by DEM
                          OK, wait, there was that "Bullets bounce" thing, you're right. (I'm just guessing that applies because I don't remember the scene at all. I never made it thru any of the first five eps of S9 in the 3 or more times that I tried.)
                          "bullets bounce" was thrill-seaking?

sky, we're still in spoilers for season 9, right? not that that was really a spoiler.
                          sigpic
                          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

i didn't have an issue with sam being sick since wasn't she the only one to have never been through the gate?
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                              Mitchell was told by O'Neill that he could have his pick of assignments. However, there is no canon that says O'Neill made that decision as Mitchell was NOT in the SGC at the time, and therefore it was not O'Neill's call to make. He can't command, transfer, make decisions about an airman in another General's chain of command.

But regardless of if O'Neill was the one with the idea that Cam could 'pick his own assignment' Cam picked being on SG1. He did not pick leading SG1. It was Landry that made that decision, not O'Neill.
                              Great post Deejay...still the question lingers...who is leading SG1? TPTB really need to think about that and resolve it...I hope it's Sam...that would be totally wicked!!

EDIT: Sorry...don't want to start a debate on WSL...don't shoot me...I'm behind on the posts...sorry!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                                Spoiler:
                                "bullets bounce" was thrill-seaking?
                                G-U-E-S-S-I-N-G = I. Don't. Know. Fer Shure.

I said I couldn't quite recall, didn't I?!

Comment

Working...
                                X