Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    It has tanked big time then!!!

I feel sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on the show.

I also feel sorry for BB and CB What they have been given to portray is so substandard. Did CB have to relocate from New Zealand to film the show? And the writers have run it into the ground?
    Claudia never lived in New Zealand (only during filming "City Life" TV series in 1996). She was born and used to live in Sydney, Australia. And recently (before relocating to Vancouver), in London, UK.
    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
      Claudia never lived in New Zealand (only during filming "City Life" TV series in 1996). She was born and used to live in Sydney, Australia. And recently (before relocating to Vancouver), in London, UK.
      Either way, she moved her family overseas to a new place for a gig that's evidently only going to last for another year. I think that's the point of this whole thing...

If they were aiming for longevity, I honestly think they should've gone another route - and I also don't believe that they didn't see the route clearly in front of them. They made the choice to do the things that they did to the show, and now EVERYONE is paying for it.
      Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 20 July 2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Either way, she moved her family overseas to a new place for a gig that's evidently only going to last for another year. I think that's the point of this whole thing... I

f they were aiming for longevity, I honestly think they shoud've gone another route - and I also don't believe that they didn't see the route clearly in front of them. They made the choice to do the things that they did to the show, and now EVERYONE is paying for it.
        WORD, spaz!
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

While I do feel bad for everyone who works so hard on the show (specifically the ones who don't have decision-making power)...
          They certainly seem to have talented & hard working people in the design depts and practical effects area. The daily crew make it happen along with the actors. I think in the Science of Stargate special AT said something 400? people work on the show.

There's only one person from the series who consistently thanks and gives credit to the fans for bringing them past the two-season mark, and we all know who that is. Beyond that, I haven't seen anyone else continue to bring that fact up these days. Fans and viewers have only been held with contempt and disdain for a couple of years now.
          It is really hard for me to hear that BW sees his long serving cast as baggage. Sure if you're trying to do a shiny new show and you're told you've got to keep the main structure of SG1 (which includes the Big 3) your options are somewhat limited. You need to incorporate them & their histories into the new stuff. How confining. Really, how they can not see oodles of story options with the Big 3 as the foundation of these latest seasons is beyond me. Gosh, we "dumb" fans can see many ideas that won't even cost tons of money.
          Yes, it's rather ironic that they've (B@B) forgotten how they got a chance to have a "franchise." And doesn't treating the fans as too dumb to get their "new direction" say something about themselves? Who'd been watching it for 8 seasons? We're "intelligent" fans when we like their work and whiners when we don't. To badly misquote Shakespeare, "Perhaps the fault lies not in our fans, but in ourselves."

To get back on a positive note, as you say dancer, AT is a class act. Not only does she treat fans well, but by all accounts she is *respected* by her fellow actors as well as well liked. I really hope this "thing in the works" that she apparently mentioned at SL means a lead role in a good project.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            that i s the crux of the issue. Stargate has changed from something interesting and unique to cookie cutter scifi. There's little to nothing original about it anymore. it's all bombs, boobs and butts with a healthy dose of sfx of entice those of short attention spans

it's become like any one of a dozen failed shows out there. and what's so sad, if they'd have just kept it unique it could and would have lasted a long longer. people will tune in to watch unique.

but now that it's so ordinary and blase, hey if i miss it i'll just catch something else cause, well it's really got nothing unique about it anymore now does it????
            Love the "3 Bs" of the "new" Stargate. I watched all the S9 episodes once, but whereas in previous years I also watched the reruns. I didn't particularly care one way or the other this time. I thought ep #1 of S10 was an improvement though, so we'll see. The key may be to keep those expectations low. It can't get worse, can it? (crosses fingers)

At shore leave, amanda hinted at her having something coming down the pike and i have no doubt that her talents, skills and connections will take care of her for years to come.

she will quite easily rise above the mediocrity that the show is now

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              To get back on a positive note, as you say dancer, AT is a class act. Not only does she treat fans well, but by all accounts she is *respected* by her fellow actors as well as well liked. I really hope this "thing in the works" that she apparently mentioned at SL means a lead role in a good project.
              And the more I think about it, the more I hope that it isn't Stargate-related. Heck, I'm hoping it's not Sci Fi (network)-related.

I keep thinking back to that pic of her with Hammer (though I know Hammer DID take pics with other people ), and I wonder if there's a connection there. It'll definitely be interesting to see if and how she'll be utilized by Sci Fi or NBCUniversal in the future.

Whatever she does, I'm sure she'll do it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                Thanks for that! She made sacrifices to invest in the show. I'm angry that the creators didn't invest more in a character that fitted in with the series, or at least gently moved it in a different direction. They have let everyone down badly

Comment

yes, they have. the changeover was handled rather clumsily, and everyone - including the show - is suffering for it.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And the more I think about it, the more I hope that it isn't Stargate-related. Heck, I'm hoping it's not Sci Fi (network)-related.

I keep thinking back to that pic of her with Hammer (though I know Hammer DID take pics with other people ), and I wonder if there's a connection there. It'll definitely be interesting to see if and how she'll be utilized by Sci Fi or NBCUniversal in the future.

Whatever she does, I'm sure she'll do it well.
                    I'd love to see AT in a completely different role. When she had mentioned playing a detective in Abby Lord/Engaged to Kill, I was thinking she'd have a big part. Sadly it was not to be. I think she'd make a great private investigator. I'd like a bunch of tv movies if not a series. Of course, she must have the lead. Something like a "3 picture deal" might give her more flexibility to spend time w/ her family. Whatever she does will be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Hmm, those numbers would seem rather high to me if SG-1 only pulled in 1.7 million viewers.

Each rating point is a little over 1.3 million viewers.

1,700,000 \ 1,340,000 = 1.268. I think a 1.3 share would be more accurate.
                      Current Nielsen formula is 1,102,000 = 1% point, so if 1.7 million would be 1.54 would be more accurate.

Both SG-1 and SGA were in the top ten for Tivo season pass recording as wel which Nielsen does not figure into it's rating yet but networks do look at these figures.

Nielsen has a new meter they are currently piloting which will allow them to also account for viewers that wirelessly connect their televisions to gaming systems, or carry their location-free TVs with them throughout the house. The current meters do not collect this data but the new meter which measures the data by an audio signal (Acoustic encoding) that is encoded into shows. To address challenges posed by new advances like digital television, Nielsen is encoding TV programs with audio codes undetectable by the human ear. By identifying programs through these patented audio codes, our Active/Passive (A/P) Meters can determine what was watched and when it was watched — regardless of a program's source or a given television's settings.

I'm sure SciFi is not happy with the 1.5 rating since that is equal to last years low - not a good sign for the priemer week for the new season. Especially when "Eureka" SciFi's newest original show pulled in a 3.2 rating on Tuesday.
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

dang skippy it will be.

between her connections, her good rep amongst the vancouver companies and her skill, she's got a career that will go on and on and on...as long as she wants it to.

not to mention being very popular on the convention circuit

sigpic

Comment

and what they'll ignore is eureka's cross promotion on nbc, which stargate does not have

not a total explanation by a long shot, but surely a contributing factor

sigpic

Comment

Great posts everyone ... even if we're not on the Whingenuts thread. I'm sure Ooober or Astro will arrive soon and start herding us over there.

In meantime, what bothers me from all this is that the movie to be made will now incorporate a far larger cast, a hybrid cast, and that too may bomb!

Didn't anyone over in their ivory towers ever ever stop to think that quality over quantity was the missing ingredient in the recipe? Subtle flavors and seasonings make an entire concoction oh so delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              yes, they have. the changeover was handled rather clumsily, and everyone - including the show - is suffering for it.
                              The strange thing is that the people responsible for the changes at sg1 were so lacking in foresight. We get called for "unitelligent" rants, but they tank one of the longest running sci fi shows.

They wanted to create a different show, but were not allowed to make sweeping changes, but sweeping changes they did make. They sidelined the the big three to all intents and purposes, or changed their characters to fit the new direction. They should have known it wouldn't work.

There was talk of a second spin off. Why couldn't they continue the old SG1 for another 2 seasons. Round it off as it should be done, with all character's dignity intact and Sam in command, I'm sure the ratings would have held a lot better than they have. If so they would still have got their chance at a second spin off and that would have been their opportunity to secure their own jobs and paychecks (cough) for another few years.

As it is they have completley lost it. Do you think that the people who have done this to the show will be offered the chance to create a another spin off? If it were me I'd be asking someone new to take over - if I went for a second spin off.

Anyway as someone has already mentioned. This was only the first show. Ratings (as well as rantings) could improve - especialy if the eps get better and word gets around.

Comment

I also think it was very telling that RDA and AT were not given many scenes with his coming back in new season ... I was so hoping that if they sent Jack to Atlantis on a mission, Sam accompanied him. Not to be.

These two actors are a delight to watch ... they have such good acting chemistry ... their beats/timing with each other are spot on. Again, I'm not talking "ship" here, just two fine actors being in scenes and bringing out the best in each other.

Another faux pas by TPTB.

Comment

Working...
                                X