Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    quick post regarding the ratings - I have seen that same story and thought that 1.7 million viewers would be about a 1.5 or 1.6 - WOW.

HHHHHHHIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - can you hear that hissing noise - it's the air coming out of the valcam balloon and to be really, really snarky it may also be the air coming out of cooper and wright's a$$e$ as they desperately try to remove their heads so they can try to get this show back on track.

As I said just yesterday on this thread "Again, since the ratings for last week are out and available and skiffy has not said a word yet my guess is ratings were below 2.1 (last years premiere #). Hey if I'm wrong I'll retract and eat my hat - if not - I say the writing is on the wall and to be honest I will strut around vindicated for the crapola they are serving up. Hit 'em where it hurts - right in the ol' pocketbook. "

My guess, and I think I posted this somewhere previously, was that they would be lucky to get a 1.8 or 1.9 which was what they got for the final 2 shows of S9 - I really did not believe they would do any better than that since they pimped BB and CB to a fair-thee-well last season and they could not get the numbers then I did not think they would get the numbers now.

The premieres are supposed to be the big ticket items and if this is the premiere number (1.5/1.6 which I do find surprising) they better dammmm well start re-writing the second half of this season if they hope to pull this one out. They are on hiatus until the end of this month - they can rewrite (and hopefully they started the rewrites the minute they saw the overnight ratings on Monday) and start shooting the reall SG-1 with Carter in charge, and the BIG 3 front and center. They can have vala take a back seat with her dopey antics and they can either have mitchell disappear in some heroic firefight (in a 302 where he belongs) or have Landry ship him off to some really important gig and then bring in a reasonable actor who can be the 4th member of SG-1. Let's get down to business and straighten this mess out - a 1.5 or a 1.6 for the premiere -- pppffffttt CONGRATULATIONS cooper, wright, mallozzi, mullie and smith - you have really done yourselves proud. Maybe perhaps now you will listen more to the fans - the longtime loyal fans who count more than you ever wanted to admit before. Unless of course you were trying to tank the show than, it would seem, you did your job well.

Superb!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Wonderful post! You've obviously not been tippling your sloe gin or local brew tonight ... (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Seriously though you've said it truthfully and well. This show has been cosmetically and digitally changed into a "dime a dozen" sci-fi sound-and-light cg series ... too many cooks in the kitchen with too many spicy ingredients. Sad.

Steady as it goes held my interest. I liked the human interest of 3-4 main characters, getting to know them so well if felt like visiting family ... now it's a matter of doing the math: more bodies added to cast = less screentime or lines of script for all.

I think Amanda's future is secure ... she's so talented in so many ways and she'll know when to move in a new direction and grow beyond her wonderful, wonderful portrayal of Sam.
      At least we'll have the card game to remember her finest moments.
      A great post CG. I especially like the sentence highlighted in red!! Hugs to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
        I was just about to post that. Thanks Kat! Someone on another forum did the math and thinks that that translates to a 1.5 rating for the Gate and a 1.7 share for Atlantis.

I was so close with my 1.6!!
        Hmm, those numbers would seem rather high to me if SG-1 only pulled in 1.7 million viewers.

Each rating point is a little over 1.3 million viewers.

1,700,000 \ 1,340,000 = 1.268. I think a 1.3 share would be more accurate.

Comment

When was Brad Wrights interview done? Had he had a chance to see the viewing figures?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            Hmm, those numbers would seem rather high to me if SG-1 only pulled in 1.7 million viewers.

It has tanked big time then!!!

I feel sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on the show.

I also feel sorry for BB and CB What they have been given to portray is so substandard. Did CB have to relocate from New Zealand to film the show? And the writers have run it into the ground?

Not sure SG1 needed 2 new main cast members but either of these 2 could have been incorperated into the show much more sucessfully IMO. Wouldn't it have been great to have CB as the new SG1 military member. 2 lead female, 2 lead males - just about right!!

Comment

LOL!! That's even better!!
              sigpic

Comment

that i s the crux of the issue. Stargate has changed from something interesting and unique to cookie cutter scifi. There's little to nothing original about it anymore. it's all bombs, boobs and butts with a healthy dose of sfx of entice those of short attention spans

it's become like any one of a dozen failed shows out there. and what's so sad, if they'd have just kept it unique it could and would have lasted a long longer. people will tune in to watch unique.

but now that it's so ordinary and blase, hey if i miss it i'll just catch something else cause, well it's really got nothing unique about it anymore now does it????

At shore leave, amanda hinted at her having something coming down the pike and i have no doubt that her talents, skills and connections will take care of her for years to come.

she will quite easily rise above the mediocrity that the show is now
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to say about one bit of your post Bink - even if the do try to change the show back, they will be hard pushed to win back viewers. Once their lost and have got interested in other shows, not all that easy to bring them back on board!!

Comment

I wonder how accurate the figures are? because they are terrifyingly low.

I can see a lot of suits in a panic if they are accurate. Oh and thanks for the link to the article. Such a nice turn of phrase "took a laser hit to the gut".

* bink can ya keep it down to a dull roar *

I had issues with S9 but I always had a sliver of hope that they could turn it around because I love Sam & Jack & Teal'c & Daniel & Janet & Hammond

I guess it's wait and see time huh??
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      At shore leave, amanda hinted at her having something coming down the pike and i have no doubt that her talents, skills and connections will take care of her for years to come.

I agree. I can't wait to see what she has upcoming.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        that i s the crux of the issue. Stargate has changed from something interesting and unique to cookie cutter scifi. There's little to nothing original about it anymore. it's all bombs, boobs and butts with a healthy dose of sfx of entice those of short attention spans
                        it's become like any one of a dozen failed shows out there. and what's so sad, if they'd have just kept it unique it could and would have lasted a long longer. people will tune in to watch unique.

but now that it's so ordinary and blase, hey if i miss it i'll just catch something else cause, well it's really got nothing unique about it anymore now does it????

love the snark!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          I have to say about one bit of your post Bink - even if the do try to change the show back, they will be hard pushed to win back viewers. Once their lost and have got interested in other shows, not all that easy to bring them back on board!!
                          they won't change it back. to do that would be to admit that they made a mistake. and they never admit that they made mistakes
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ok it is true that the show has changed a lot, and I don't like it in season 9. But I think that TPTB now know it and that season 10 will be better. And it is true that once you start loosing vieuwers it is hard to win them back again because they are sceptic about it but I think we just have to give them a fair change. I will keep watching till the end. And will by the dvd's. Just because for me stargate, even with it not being that good, is still one of the better sci-fi shows. Or maybe it was my really first love in the sci-fi genre after X-files.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              It has tanked big time then!!!

I feel sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on the show.

I also feel sorry for BB and CB What they have been given to portray is so substandard. Did CB have to relocate from New Zealand to film the show? And the writers have run it into the ground?

Not sure SG1 needed 2 new main cast members but either of these 2 could have been incorperated into the show much more sucessfully IMO. Wouldn't it have been great to have CB as the new SG1 military member. 2 lead female, 2 lead males - just about right!
                              ... which may be what they're going for now in S10 with adding Vala as a regular. I remember when I first met you that you wrote into a sci-fi mag with this great suggestion of adding another female soldier to the mix of four ... now the addition is just an afterthought to the bungled over-the-top characterization of Vala in S9. Damage control!

I agree about the actors themselves. I never watched Farscape regularly but the couple shows I saw impressed me ... BB and CB have talent and potential. They were hired and served up the soup provided by those many cooks in the kitchen.

I think the fans' lack of attention to last week's premiere seems to be a case of indigestion, eh?!

Comment

"Terrifyingly low..." That's a lovely way of putting it, RoX.

I've gotta say that I have mixed feelings about the ratings, now that they've been released. Tomorrow, if last night's encore did well, I'm sure Sci Fi will release ratings for both nights (haha, just in case they want to ADD the two nights together?).

Anyway, I think it's an interesting irony that the actual Nielsens and the loud online fans are in sync. They don't listen to the people "who can't accept change," but I'm sure the ratings spoke the same message loud and clear on Sunday morning.

While I do feel bad for everyone who works so hard on the show (specifically the ones who don't have decision-making power), I do think this is the only way for them to see what they've done. They may never change course or admit that they screwed up, but the numbers don't lie, and they'll be a permanent reminder of what happens when you forget who brought you to the tenth season.

There's only one person from the series who consistently thanks and gives credit to the fans for bringing them past the two-season mark, and we all know who that is. Beyond that, I haven't seen anyone else continue to bring that fact up these days. Fans and viewers have only been held with contempt and disdain for a couple of years now.

I don't want the show to end on this kind of note (and I hope they're rewriting the last few episodes in preparation of cancellation - no cliffhangers!), but they have no one to blame but themselves.
                                Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 20 July 2006, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X