Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    as to the sparkage....did you expect anything less????? seriously. I'd be shocked if there was none. sparkage is the most obvious cliche thus it is what will happen
    I was hoping that TPTB would be smart enough to *not* do that. Alas, when I saw that CB would be added full time, I knew that they would do it.

*sigh* They should've changed the name.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
      I'm excited about all the Sam spoilers from TV Guide. However, the one thing that I was afraid was going to happen was
      Spoiler:
      where Cam and Vala will have "sparks" at his high school reunion. Ugh!!! If that does happen, it'll be the FarGate that I knew it was going to turn into.
      Spoiler:
      Frankly, I'd take that over the Daniel/Vala show...

Though the Sam/Vala show would clearly be superior to all

Comment

Hi All,

I finally got back home Sunday night (hubby and I took a roadtrip along the northern East Coast after Shore Leave).

And I worked on my pics the whole day yesterday. I know it's late in the game, but you can check out my Amanda pics from Shore Leave here. (Shore Leave is listed on the left-hand side, click on it and then on a pic to get into a gallery. In each gallery you can click on the thumbnails to see bigger pictures.) I also have lots of pictures of Carmen, Corin, Connor, and Jamie, and I will be uploading them throughout the week. So if you are interested in seeing more, check back later in the week. Oh, and before I forget, I have to thank my husband for taking all these pictures, since I was way too excited to hold a camera, much less to actually take a decent picture.

I've also been trying to catch up with everything on the thread (only about 50 pages, LOL) and I think everybody who was there pretty much addressed everything. But if there are more questions, go ahead and ask me and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Here are just some of my personal experiences at the con (and sorry, my post turned out longer than I thought):

I had signed up for a photo op with Amanda. I was sooo nervous waiting in line, but when I finally met Amanda, I was as calm as can be. I introduced myself, told her that I was from Samanda and how much we all appreciate her and everything she has done on Stargate and I said "Hi" from all the Samandans. She gave me a big hug (which was totally unexpected and very cool, I for one would have been too shy to ask for one) and then we "aligned" for the picture. They had put a little mark on the floor where to stand and so Amanda moved me to the right spot. She joked that she would get yelled at otherwise. After they took the pic, she gave me another hug (definitely something I could get used to, LOL) and off I went a totally happy camper.

After that I met up with the other Samandans who had signed up for the group photo op. When we got in, I introduced myself to Carmen and Corin. In the pic I ended up next to Corin who was very nice and way cute.

During Corin's session on Sunday I went out real quick to get Carmen's autograph, because he was about to leave, and when I tried to sneak back in, Corin caught me and said that I was interrupting everything. I was so embarrased but managed to smile at him anyways. Later when I got his autograph on the photo op picture, he remembered me and said that he had only been joking and we chatted for a while and he gave me a hug. He is such a nice guy. I also chatted with Carmen for quite a bit and told him how much I missed Jacob. He is such a sweet and charming man and he also gave me a hug when I left.

Now, Amanda's autograph lines were something quite different. She was the absolute star of the con so you had to wait in line for quite some time. I got in line on Saturday and when it was my turn, she commented on my photo op picture and we chatted for about a minute. On Sunday I got in line again, this time with hubby, who also wanted to get an autograph. I let him go first, and he was absolutely overwhelmed when he finally met her. He also got to take a nice pic of Amanda with her incredible smile. Somehow, Amanda remembered me from the photo op session and when she realized that the guy in front of me was my husband she told me how nice it was that we both share the same interest and came together. I had her sign the group photo op, and she took a moment to read what Carmen and Corin had written, which totally cracked her up. She took my hand again and told me how nice it was to meet me and that she hopes to see me again and whether I was going to Gabit. I told her that I would try. She wished me a safe trip home and I did the same...
        I have to add that both times Amanda had already signed about 600 or more pictures. And yet she was as gracious and sweet as in the beginning and made meeting her special for every fan.

Besides the fact that you could tell from the autograph lines that Amanda was the one everybody wanted to see, it was also quite clear from how crowded the ballroom got when it was her turn for the Q&A. When she came out on Saturday it seemed as if she was quite surprised herself, she even commented on how crowded it was.

I also thought it was quite lovely how Carmen and Corin talked about Amanda. It turned out that Amanda is Corin's favorite "prop" on set that he would have liked to take home with him. And, to see Carmen and Amanda together on Sunday, that was just a wonderful treat.

I have to say, I was very nervous when I left for the Con on Thursday, but it was one of the best experiences I ever had. Amanda is awesome on stage and so much fun to watch. And she is so nice and sweet in person, it was more than I ever expected.

I also have to say that meeting all the GW people was a treat in itself. I had so much fun meeting each and everyone of you and I especially enjoyed our late night get togethers. You guys rock and you made a con addict out of a con virgin, LOL.

I have been entertaining the thought of going to Gabit, but now more than ever am I going to try to make it reality. I have some issues with the timing of Gabit, but hopefully it will work out. The good thing is that before, hubby was not too excited about me wanting to go to London, but now that he's met Amanda, he is actually open to the idea. She definitely impressed him big time and won him over in a heartbeat.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Nice report, Dani. Hope to see you at Gabit now
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            ( contains flesh and blood spoilers)

oh no i honestly don't think (at least in this case) that
            Spoiler:
            the writers are lazy, it took a hell of a lot of thought and effort to make someone so underqualified end up as such a hero. i'd say they would have worked backwards. ok, we need him to save the day, first he needs to be in a 302. now to do this he needs to get one from the hanger bay and get out before the ship is destroyed. now there's gonna be a lot of people trying to get out so it's gonna be very tense. hey! lets make one of the people he pushes past be a chick! if we have some girl on screen, they can't say we're being sexist, right?

ok, cool. so he gets off the ship and into a fighter plane. wait wait, how come nobody else gets off the ship in a 302? we need him to be the only one out there so he gets to save her.

what? oh right, well, c'mon some of them are girls, and they're all russians. if we've proven anything its that russian soldiers die a lot!

right ok. wait, wait, cameron can't save her in a 302, if he opens the canopy, he'll float out into space.

oh right, yeah, well, we'll have the odyssey pick him up. but he'll still look really heroic so it'll be fine. also, we'll have to have him injured. first of all, the battle needs to be totally over and we need to pass some time, so if he looses consciousness it'll work. also, if he rescues her when he's injured it'll make him look even better!

ok, fine. wait, we had the odyssey unable to use its beam tech in the last one, how is he gonna save her from there? ok ok, he'll open the hanger bay on it, and he'll back the ship up so it swallows her. the asgard can use the artificial gravity controls so she doesn't get hurt, it'll be fine.

cameron can fly the odyssey? is their pilot injured or something?

no. its just because he's such a good pilot that he can fly the odyssey better than the person who was hired to do it even in huge battles.

ok. so how come he's on a ground unit instead of flying in battles?

shut up.

and thats how sam gets saved. wow. i love cameron.

see. that kind of writing requires a hell of a lot of effort. how is that lazy? lots of thought went in to it.

(warning: reading the previous spoilers may be damaging to your sanity.)
            You know what - reading your post made me think of... (S10 'Flesh and Blood')
            Spoiler:
            why the deliberate (and plodding) action sequence showing just how Cam got out in the 302 bothered me.
            First and foremost my initial gut reaction was that it was almost like he was abandoning ship. Yes, they needed to move from plot point a to point b, yes, he's not the captain/commander of the ship & has no compunction to 'go down' with it, yes, he needs to survive to still be the male lead, but you could see everyone else doing their best to survive and turn the onslaught around, but here's Cam running off again; seemingly with no given/obvious motivation other than to save his own bottom.

Guess it would have made more sense to me if Cam and a *group* of pilots would have *already* taken the 302's out so they wouldn't be destroyed. Or.... they really didn't need to address it at all. Unlike major story arcs... we didn't need a long *flashback* action sequence to plot out the fine details of how he got there. (But I realize too that this was how they were going to get some more 'things that go boom!' into the episode....)

Hmmmm... now what would've been *really* interesting would have been to have Sam find a 302 floating nearby, float over to it, fix it, and fly it over to save Cam....

All in a days work.

But great post SB. I agree. It was a decent scene, but coulda been waaaaay better.
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              Which is why I recommend that he needs to swear to be nice to Sam if he takes the role of showrunner on her new spin-off.
              Ah guess I'm the only one who actually enjoys the occassional torture scene, because I thoroughly enjoyed Jack in the Abyss, Sam in New Order and Teal'c in Serpent's Venom. I actually really enjoyed the Xena episodes where she got the snot beat out of her and she'd just glare and stand up for more. Don't get me wrong. I'm not really one for watching violence. I don't like gore and blood just for the hell of it, but episodes like the above really get the heart pumping for me. They keep me sitting on the edge of my seat, riveted to the television screen. Perhaps because I wish I had that kind of inner strength and will power. I know it sounds twisted, but it really gets the adrenaline flowing to see my favorite characters taken to their breaking points and hold strong. Lucy and Chris are especially good at these types of scenes. They both have a wonderful glare...that frightening look that screams 'If I still had the strength to stand, I'd rip your heart out and shove it down your throat.' Each time they are beaten down and stand back up I can hear the silent mantra 'You may destroy my body, but you will never destroy my will.'

Even in scenes like New Order and Abyss where we see Sam and Jack both taken so close to the edge - their bodies, minds and spirits are so weakened that see their inner walls start to crumble and deteriorate - I get this queasy feeling in the pit in my stomach and overwhelming joy in my heart to see them try to hold things together. To me it's moments like these that allow us to see even for a brief moment how truly strong these characters are, because I know if I had been in their positions I would have given up long ago and I admire that strength and spirit.

It's one of the reasons I loved the scenes with Replicarter and Daniel in Reckoning II so much. It wasn't the same sort of torturous scene, but it gave me the same adrenaline rush I get with the others. When RC and Daniel are mentally fighting, trying to gain control over the replicators and Daniel's eyes snap open and then RC's open and she gasps and stares at him and he says 'Got ya know'. I literally got this chill down my back. I knew Daniel wasn't going to be able to keep the upper hand for long, but he never gave up. He fought until the bitter end. I do feel that often the writers go overboard as is the case with Teal'c being tortured. In my opinion when the storylines are well written, the torture scenes add strength to the episode; however, in cases like Stronghold the torture scenes did nothing for me. They just felt as if they were added in just for the hell of it with no real reason. Hmm, so what will we do with Teal'c in this episode? He's been taken prisoner so that Mitchell can rescue him. Oh hey! Let's just torture him. That will be cool. Like I said, violence for the sake of showing violence I can do without.

Hmm, I'm starting to ramble now. Sorry for my little soapbox speech on the benefits of a good torture scene. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                I think "It's good to be king"--but I'm sure someone will recognize it if I'm wrong.
                Edit: Count on Über to come to our rescue!
                Yep, and it's the funny Sam takes Jack's gun scene. Hehe. I love that scene and I thoroughly enjoyed Sky's little fic about it.

Edit: Darn, Sky already mentioned this... Laugh. Oh well. GMTA
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 18 July 2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Ah guess I'm the only one who actually enjoys the occassional torture scene,
                  You're not. I think we should have more of them (but not Teal'c now... he's had too many lately and no one else is getting a lookin).

Even in scenes like New Order and Abyss where we see Sam and Jack both taken so close to the edge - their bodies, minds and spirits are so weakened that see their inner walls start to crumble and deteriorate - I get this queasy feeling in the pit in my stomach and overwhelming joy in my heart to see them try to hold things together. To me it's moments like these that allow us to see even for a brief moment how truly strong these characters are, because I know if I had been in their positions I would have given up long ago and I admire that strength and spirit.
                  I feel exactly the same. But to be honest I didn't get that from Jack in The Abyss. RDA can do the pain thing naturalistically (getting shot in the leg in The Devil You Know comes to mind) but I didn't see Jack get there in The Abyss. Sam, on the other hand, gets there and more any chance she's given scope to. I wish she had a few more chances.

In my opinion when the storylines are well written, the torture scenes add strength to the episode; however, in cases like Stronghold the torture scenes did nothing for me. They just felt as if they were added in just for the hell of it with no real reason. Hmm, so what will we do with Teal'c in this episode? He's been taken prisoner so that Mitchell can rescue him. Oh hey! Let's just torture him. That will be cool. Like I said, violence for the sake of showing violence I can do without.
                  Agreed.
                  Spoiler:
                  And the same for Flesh and Blood Tedious

Like I said, if Strix can find a way to mend Sam after she's nailed her up, I'll consider it
                  scarimor

Comment

[snark at no one in particular]
                    SG1 will never be Farscape...period. TPTB could get the entire cast of Farscape on SG1 and it would still not be Farscape. They are TWO completely different shows with different writers, who happen to have different talents.

But...If they do have Cam and Vala become a couple, I'll quit watching the show period. I've seen Ben and Claudia as a couple...I want to see what they can do OUTSIDE that! Sheesh! [/end snark]

Sorry...just had to get that off my chest...please don't flame me or run me out of the kingdom for it. I loves you all but had to say my piece on that topic.

Now...to keep my post on topic. I want to go back to stargatebarbie's musical instrument question. She asked what folks thought Sam would play and I said drums. Why drums? Cause hello, Sam rides a "hog" (motorcycle) right? (not that we've ever seen it...but I believe it's been hinted at) and I think deep down, Sam is a rocker at heart.

Anyone else?
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      Some thoughts on the season 10 opener (and how I woulda dunit....)

Pretty good, The dilemma posed is intelligent and therefore engaging, but I found myself more caught up in Atlantis' story than SG-1's.

Why?

Believable actions/reactions on the part of the Atlantis cast. SG-1 - not so much.

Spoiler:
                      Cam taking over from Emmerson and then from the pilot, his lamely delivered lines about fighting to his last breath or whatever. Taking what should have been a strong, meaningful scene from Teal'c. Letting Bra'tac really show some Jaffa emotion over the fact that his people were about to be slaughtered and how the fight no longer mattered to him, how he only wanted to die with his people. Teal'c, getting a chance to say more than "Indeed," talking him down from that emotional ledge.... Yeah, I woulda changed those scenes.

Cam could have simply backed Emmerson as he dealt with the bad guys, and Cam could have hovered worriedly over the pilot's shoulder and talked to Sam to help put her at ease, and then he could have clapped the pilot's shoulder and thanked him for saving his teammate. He could have actually [I[acted[/i] in those scenes rather than just chew the scenery.

And I woulda whumped Sam good<evil grin>. Despite Cam's assurances and the Asgard's deft touch, Sam would have had a rough touch down. I'd have arranged it so that there would have been less gravity and more velocity in the cargo bay and Sam would have been tossed around like a rag doll, helpless in that space suit, bouncing and skidding painfully all along the floor(And the scene would have been shot in total silence except for the sound of her landings. Can you hear it? ....whump.... whump... whump... ) and hitting the wall and rebounding off it before finally landing in a boneless heap.(obviously it would have been either a CG or a dummy Sam). This would have highlighted how difficult and dangerous a manoeuver they'd undertaken(by "they" I mean Emmerson and the pilot. Cam could have come up with the idea and that would have been okay, but to take over like he did was... not fun to watch.

Oh, well. I did like Vala and Daniel in this one. I couldn't help thinking that Daniel looked mighty fine in that armor
                      Spoiler:

See now that's what I'm talking about... that's what I was sort of hoping for as well. They throw Sam out in space to watch the entire freakin' battle with the Ori. Yes it was cool to see Sam floating in space - completely helpless but I really thought we'd see a bit more reprecussions for her being out there so long. I mean she had to have been nearly out of oxygen. She told Mitchell that the Ori had been gone for over four hours. Sam was working on the gate for some time before the Korelev even showed up and the battle ensued. From what I have read the tanks the astronauts use only hold seven hours of oxygen. She had to have known she was getting seriously close to running out of oxygen, why was she so calm when we first see her? I mean she watches a battle take place right before her eyes. It wasn't even a fair fight. Sam literally watched as the Korolev and Earth's allies be slaughtered by the Ori and then she sits for four hours after the Ori ships leave the vicinity thinking that she is alone. Wondering if anyone left on the ships are alive. If any of her teammates are alive. Noone responds to distress calls. Could you imagine floating there alone for four hours thinking that everyone you knew was dead and noone was going to rescue you? So why were we given nothing in terms of Sam dealing with any of that. Yes she seemed relieved to hear Mitchell's voice, but I guess I just expected more. I mean last year we got a three parter dealing with the escapades of Vala and this year instead of giving us a truly dramatic conclusion to last year's slaughter we got a forty two minute reader's digest version of what happened with little to no consequences or real drama.

Oh well. I guess I'm just expecting a little too much from the Boys at Bridge.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 18 July 2006, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                        I think Sam would be busy shushing the angels whilst trying to work out which freakin dimension/universe/timeframe she'd landed in now
                        Speaking of other dimensions/universes and timeframes...
                        Spoiler:

Does anyone have a clue what episode Amanda is referring to where she said Sam is lost and alone in another universe? I don't recall hearing any spoilers about this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Speaking of other dimensions/universes and timeframes...
                          Spoiler:

Does anyone have a clue what episode Amanda is referring to where she said Sam is lost and alone in another universe? I don't recall hearing any spoilers about this episode.
                          That sounds like a cool ep. Her own little version of
                          Spoiler:
                          Point of view (I think is the name. The one Daniel goes to an alternate universe) or Riple effect! Maybe Janet again lol

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                            You're not. I think we should have more of them (but not Teal'c now... he's had too many lately and no one else is getting a lookin).

I feel exactly the same. But to be honest I didn't get that from Jack in The Abyss. RDA can do the pain thing naturalistically (getting shot in the leg in The Devil You Know comes to mind) but I didn't see Jack get there in The Abyss. Sam, on the other hand, gets there and more any chance she's given scope to. I wish she had a few more chances.

Agreed.
                            Spoiler:
                            And the same for Flesh and Blood Tedious

Like I said, if Strix can find a way to mend Sam after she's nailed her up, I'll consider it
                            Wow, I totally disagree. I thought RDA was amazing in this episode. It wasn't really the torture scenes themselves that got me, it was the fact that Jack seemed to truly come close to a breaking point mentally. There are times in the past when it was obvious to me that RDA didn't feel comfortable doing a particular scene, but I thought MS and RDA were brilliant together in this episode. I've watched this episode a dozen times and this particular scene at least a hundred times and it just as heart-wrenching as the first.

Jack: "Daniel...you have to end this."
                            Daniel: "Jack, you just have to hang in there a little while longer..."
                            Jack: "No...I can't go back in there. If I go back, I swear to God, I'll give Ba'al what he wants, I'll tell him."
                            Daniel: "What?"
                            Jack: "That he loved her."
                            Daniel: "Kanan?"
                            Jack: "He came back for her. He wanted to save her."
                            Daniel: "Ba'al doesn't know this..."
                            Jack: "If he finds out, he'll do to her what he's doing to me. Daniel, if you don't end this...I'll tell him."
                            Daniel: "You won't have to...it's almost over Jack."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              Wonderful quotes, Suzotchka! Those are great Carter spoilers (perhaps the best I've heard in over a year! Woot!

Also - love your sig pic

And your quote:
                              'Real Girls Love Math'

Glad you like the sig pic, Astro. I actually wasn't that happy with it when I did it and wanted to do another for Suze instead, but she loved it too It actually came about because I did the picture below and she asked if she could have a similar one about leadership....

I keep considering changing back to this sig, because I really like it, but I'm happy with my little rotations at the moment.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                Glad you like the sig pic, Astro. I actually wasn't that happy with it when I did it and wanted to do another for Suze instead, but she loved it too It actually came about because I did the picture below and she asked if she could have a similar one about leadership....

I keep considering changing back to this sig, because I really like it, but I'm happy with my little rotations at the moment.
                                You did such a fabulous job with my sig! I absolutely LOVE IT!

And I really do like that Torri/Amanda sig of yours. It's beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                                X