Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate gal
    I actually am feeling positive about the episode. It sounds better than last year's premiere.
    True!
    Spoiler:
    At least we get Sam in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
      I actually am feeling positive about the episode. It sounds better than last year's premiere.
      Same here...except for one tiny little niggling thing...which I'll reserve judgment on until I see how it plays out.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Same here...except for one tiny little niggling thing...which I'll reserve judgment on until I see how it plays out.
        what thing???

put it in spoilers if you have to.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

I won't see it until Sky show it, so if it's awful, could somebody warn me?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            I won't see it until Sky show it, so if it's awful, could somebody warn me?
            That's what family is for!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              what thing???

put it in spoilers if you have to.

sally
              The
              Spoiler:
              Mitchy having to be the one to rescue Sam
              thing.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The
                Spoiler:
                Mitchy having to be the one to rescue Sam
                thing.
                oh, 'that' one!

i have so many issues now that i have to categorize them.

and i like his new name.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

The whole
                  Spoiler:
                  Mitchell in command thing is still bothering me. And the possibility that Mitchell will get promoted... wasn't there talk about a cabin scene with Landry where Mitchell makes a comment about the makeup of SG-1 being such that there aren't (or weren't) military subordinates for him to order around... something about Daniel being a civilian and Teal'c being a Jaffa...? If Mitchell got promoted then Sam would have to call him 'Sir'... gack!

When asked if the leadership issue was going to be resolved in Season 10, didn't AT respond 'yes, there will be a scene with Landry and Mitchell' (or something along those lines)? So if the leadership issue is going to be resolved, and Carter isn't even in the scene...
                  That's what I'm not looking forward to. Season 9 left me expecting much less than the best. I feel like I'm watching a car wreck on the freeway. Someone might pull their steering wheel over and stomp on the brakes and everyone might be fine... but it sure doesn't look like that's what's going to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    The whole
                    Spoiler:
                    Mitchell in command thing is still bothering me. And the possibility that Mitchell will get promoted... wasn't there talk about a cabin scene with Landry where Mitchell makes a comment about the makeup of SG-1 being such that there aren't (or weren't) military subordinates for him to order around... something about Daniel being a civilian and Teal'c being a Jaffa...? If Mitchell got promoted then Sam would have to call him 'Sir'... gack!

When asked if the leadership issue was going to be resolved in Season 10, didn't AT respond 'yes, there will be a scene with Landry and Mitchell' (or something along those lines)? So if the leadership issue is going to be resolved, and Carter isn't even in the scene...
                    That's what I'm not looking forward to. Season 9 left me expecting much less than the best. I feel like I'm watching a car wreck on the freeway. Someone might pull their steering wheel over and stomp on the brakes and everyone might be fine... but it sure doesn't look like that's what's going to happen...
                    Spoiler:
                    Mitchell CANNOT get promoted. He's needs to be promoted like I need a nail in my eye. He doesn't deserve it. TPTB cannot do that to Sam. If they do, I think I'll actually write them. That's just not something I can tolerate. I just can't. In fact, I should have already been writing them.

Comment

The whole
                      Spoiler:

i'll never get over the command issue either. and it only makes it sting more when the person that has her command is so not deserving/worthy of it.

how the hayhoo did we survive season 9??

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

The whole
                        Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                        Based on Mitchell's date of birth and year of graduation, he thankfully cannot be promoted to full colonel until around 2011-2012, although that may not be enough to thwart TPTB.

The cabin scene has me worried too. It isn't going to improve my opinion of Mitchell - he's a zero, so very little ever could - but it could definitely lower my opinion of Landry.

First of all, if Landry thinks that there is a problem with the team dynamics on SG-1, he needs to talk to all of them, not just Mitchell. He should speak to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c individually to get their thoughts on the situation and their honest opinion of how well (or, in this case, badly) Mitchell is doing. Maybe Mitchell feels that they don't follow his lead, but maybe they don't follow his lead because they aren't confident in his abilities to make rational choices and don't feel comfortable entrusting their lives to somebody who has proven himself so reckless.

Landry needs to ask these questions before he even thinks about making any decisions. He needs to have the sense to speak to them privately, so that they don't feel pressured to downplay their problems as they might if Mitchell was present. If necessary, he should ask Jack or Hammond to speak to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c if he thinks that they might be holding back rather than criticize the man he placed in charge.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if three people make a great team and work really well together but when a fourth person joins the team, they no longer work as well, then the fourth person is more than likely the problem.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c don't need Mitchell to lead them. They know far more about what they are doing than he does and as a team they've grown beyond the need for the kind of leadership Jack provided in the early seasons. Sam as a first among equals is really all that is needed.

The three of them are a team by themselves. Mitchell has been lucky enough to be allowed to accompany the team but the fact is that they can do without him.

Landry needs to understand this, to be prepared to change the structure of the team and to make sure that Mitchell knows this.

If I had my way, Landry would explain to Mitchell that the only reason that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are still around is because they are badly needed in the fight against the Ori and that the SGC is not prepared to lose any of them if it can possibly be avoided. If he can't work with SG-1 and they can't work with him, he will be the one transferred.

Maybe we should all try writing our own versions of the cabin scene, see who's is furthest from what we end up seeing.
                        Last edited by ReganX; 03 July 2006, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if three people make a great and work really well together but when a fourth person joins the team, they no longer work as well, then the fourth person is more than likely the problem.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                            Spoiler:
                            Mitchell CANNOT get promoted. He's needs to be promoted like I need a nail in my eye. He doesn't deserve it. TPTB cannot do that to Sam. If they do, I think I'll actually write them. That's just not something I can tolerate. I just can't. In fact, I should have already been writing them.
                            Spoiler:
                            We all should have. The command issue is a huge one for me, in no small part because I am so disappointed that TPTB could ever do something so disgustingly sexist.

Hypothetically speaking, if Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Carter had been edged out of his command in favour of Lieutenant Colonel Carmen Mitchell because the higher-ups thought that it would be more PC and better as far as public relations went to have a woman in command of the flagship team when the program went public, I have no doubt that it would be made clear that Samuel Carter had been wronged and that Carmen would bow to his greater experience at all times, abdicating command in all but name early on and formally relinquishing command as soon as possible.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Based on Mitchell's date of birth and year of graduation, he thankfully cannot be promoted to full colonel until around 2011-2012, although that may not be enough to thwart TPTB.

The cabin scene has me worried too. It isn't going to improve my opinion of Mitchell - he's a zero, so very little ever could - but it could definitely lower my opinion of Landry.

First of all, if Landry thinks that there is a problem with the team dynamics on SG-1, he needs to talk to all of them, not just Mitchell. He should speak to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c individually to get their thoughts on the situation and their honest opinion of how well (or, in this case, badly) Mitchell is doing. Maybe Mitchell feels that they don't follow his lead, but maybe they don't follow his lead because they aren't confident in his abilities to make rational choices and don't feel comfortable entrusting their lives to somebody who has proven himself so reckless.

Landry needs to ask these questions before he even thinks about making any decisions. He needs to have the sense to speak to them privately, so that they don't feel pressured to downplay their problems as they might if Mitchell was present. If necessary, he should ask Jack or Hammond to speak to Sam, Daniel and Teal'c if he thinks that they might be holding back rather than criticize the man he placed in charge.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if three people make a great and work really well together but when a fourth person joins the team, they no longer work as well, then the fourth person is more than likely the problem.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c don't need Mitchell to lead them. They know far more about what they are doing than he does and as a team they've grown beyond the need for the kind of leadership Jack provided in the early seasons. Sam as a first among equals is really all that is needed.

The three of them are a team by themselves. Mitchell has been lucky enough to be allowed to accompany the team but the fact is that they can do without him.

Landry needs to understand this, to be prepared to change the structure of the team and to make sure that Mitchell knows this.

If I had my way, Landry would explain to Mitchell that the only reason that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are still around is because they are badly needed in the fight against the Ori and that the SGC is not prepared to lose any of them if it can possibly be avoided. If he can't work with SG-1 and they can't work with him, he will be the one transferred.

Maybe we should all try writing our own versions of the cabin scene, see who's is furthest from what we end up seeing.
                              My guess is
                              Spoiler:
                              that Carter is going to 'moved to the side' somehow - they'll write something that puts her in a 'different' position than simply a member of SG-1. Then, whether he gets promoted or not, Mitchell will be in command of SG-1. Landry will point out to Mitchell that he is now in clear command of SG-1 and Mitchell will shrug it off with the comment that Daniel is a civilian and Teal'c is a Jaffa... don't know if he'll mention Vala, but she's not Air Force either.

I think the scene will establish Mitchell as the official CO of SG-1, but it will be tempered a bit by Mitchell acting like it's no big deal, not something he was after, and not something that means much anyway.

What they are going to do with Carter... I haven't got a clue!

Comment

Spoiler:
                                We all should have. The command issue is a huge one for me, in no small part because I am so disappointed that TPTB could ever do something so disgustingly sexist.

Hypothetically speaking, if Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Carter had been edged out of his command in favour of Lieutenant Colonel Carmen Mitchell because the higher-ups thought that it would be more PC and better as far as public relations went to have a woman in command of the flagship team when the program went public, I have no doubt that it would be made clear that Samuel Carter had been wronged and that Carmen would bow to his greater experience at all times, abdicating command in all but name early on and formally relinquishing command as soon as possible.
                                Spoiler:
                                You're probably right.

SG-1 never needed a new leader-ever. TPTB just wanted to bring in a new leading man because they thought they needed one. What's wrong with a leading woman? They needed a new team member-someone who would benefit the existing team, not an inexperienced, hot-head guy who just gets them into trouble.

I don't know. Maybe we Samandans should write TPTB. We've got some pretty deep people around here(you know who you are!). We all feel essentially the same way about it. Maybe it's too late for season 10, but if there's more in store, we need to protect SC/AT's place on the team. TPTB need to know what they're doing is NOT acceptable. The whole situation just makes me upset and TPTB act like they have no clue what they are doing in regards to Sam's character.
                                Last edited by L.A. Doyle; 03 July 2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X