Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by scarimor

    [edit] Oh! waitaminute! is it the "but it's good" line after the dark and tones line? Because I took that as a "Man, but it's good" type of comment; but I can see how it might be read as "but despite being dark with J/S tones, this fic is good" comment instead.

    If it's not that, I'm still totally lost.
    Nope. You got it. That's what she was talking about. And really I think a lot of it depends on your perspective. Still I read it the way MG did the first time through, as an apology, rather than a "you should read it anyway because it's good".
    sigpic

    Comment


      Originally posted by majorsal


      and that stud just happened to look like rda.... *sighs and drools and does other stuff*


      just a quick side note. would anyone mind lending me, say, 5000 US dollars so i can go to the amanda-rda con? i can pay you back in, say, 50 years....





      sally
      *Reaches into pocket and pulls out a looney*

      Well I can lend you a Canadian dollar, its almost worth an American dollar
      sigpic

      my fanfic

      Comment


        Originally posted by KatG
        Nope. You got it. That's what she was talking about. And really I think a lot of it depends on your perspective. Still I read it the way MG did the first time through, as an apology, rather than a "you should read it anyway because it's good".
        Seems to me then, this is an internal insecurity being projected onto other people. It's a stretch to see that wording as an apology in the first place; and if it were an "apology", it could just as much be an apology for the fic being dark.
        scarimor

        Comment


          Originally posted by Strix varia
          This one is amazingly powerful. S/J, AUs collide, don't read it Sal!

          Fleeting by Sharim
          http://sharim.livejournal.com/412398.html

          That was a wonderful story. Thanks for the rec.

          Bucky

          Comment


            Originally posted by scarimor
            Seems to me then, this is an internal insecurity being projected onto other people. It's a stretch to see that wording as an apology in the first place; and if it were an "apology", it could just as much be an apology for the fic being dark.
            True. And as I said I think a lot of it comes from the perspective you(general) have. A lot of shippers remember the ship/slash wars a little too well I think, (and those that don't remember have heard about it) and it possibly clouds how we feel. Still we do feel it at times.

            It's not going to stop me from posting a good fic though, regardless of whether it's S/J or not.
            sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by KatG
              Okay. So that you're not the only one sticking your neck out, I'm one of the one's who greened rep you for it.

              For instance, the other day when I recommended Annerb's "Exodus" here, I actually hesitated and thought about whether I should. Then I thought, there are shippers here so I should recommend it. Then I had to sit and think about how to recommend it, because I didn't want anyone to get upset about a ship fic, but then it was so good that the shippiness factor didn't really affect anything about it. And then finally I just posted it with a warning and let it be.

              But it was a tough decision.
              And see, that's a shame, because I would have recommended it without hesitation.

              It seems to me that a good solution to this issue is for everyone to feel comfortable recommending whatever Sam stories they like (with appropriate qualifiers). The common denominator of importance being that it is a story with a good representation of Sam. So what if it's S/J? Sam/Pete? No problem. Just let us know! The more good Sam fic we're exposed to, the better, to my mind. We want to encourage people writing Sam fic, and there are people with all sorts of preferences on this list, so if it's good, somebody is bound to appreciate the rec. Right? After all, Sam is a great character, and that's what this thread is all about.

              My LJ

              Comment


                Originally posted by KatG
                True. And as I said I think a lot of it comes from the perspective you(general) have. A lot of shippers remember the ship/slash wars a little too well I think, (and those that don't remember have heard about it) and it possibly clouds how we feel. Still we do feel it at times.

                It's not going to stop me from posting a good fic though, regardless of whether it's S/J or not.
                I love any good fic that has Sam as the main character, so post away so I can have a chance to read them
                sigpic

                my fanfic

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Strix varia
                  And see, that's a shame, because I would have recommended it without hesitation.

                  It seems to me that a good solution to this issue is for everyone to feel comfortable recommending whatever Sam stories they like (with appropriate qualifiers). The common denominator of importance being that it is a story with a good representation of Sam. So what if it's S/J? Sam/Pete? No problem. Just let us know! The more good Sam fic we're exposed to, the better, to my mind. We want to encourage people writing Sam fic, and there are people with all sorts of preferences on this list, so if it's good, somebody is bound to appreciate the rec. Right? After all, Sam is a great character, and that's what this thread is all about.

                  I assumed that was what was happening, and I was really surprised to learn otherwise!

                  How about putting qualifiers and warnings inside spoiler tags? Whether it's about a Jack/Sam / Sam/Pete / Sam/Janet or whatever relationship, or something like a death-fic warning. I'm rather averse to reading a story in which Sam ends up dead or minus a limb, for example, but for others any kind of warning is a spoiler.
                  scarimor

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Strix varia
                    This one is amazingly powerful. S/J, AUs collide, don't read it Sal!

                    Fleeting by Sharim
                    http://sharim.livejournal.com/412398.html
                    OMG OMG, that was so beautiful. How do I tell her that was so beautiful?! I don't have an LJ account! What a perfectly real moment. *sigh*

                    Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Strix varia
                      And see, that's a shame, because I would have recommended it without hesitation.

                      It seems to me that a good solution to this issue is for everyone to feel comfortable recommending whatever Sam stories they like (with appropriate qualifiers). The common denominator of importance being that it is a story with a good representation of Sam. So what if it's S/J? Sam/Pete? No problem. Just let us know! The more good Sam fic we're exposed to, the better, to my mind. We want to encourage people writing Sam fic, and there are people with all sorts of preferences on this list, so if it's good, somebody is bound to appreciate the rec. Right? After all, Sam is a great character, and that's what this thread is all about.
                      i say there's the solution right there.

                      to me, it's only being responsible to say that this fic is rated whatever, has the major squicks in it (character death/rape/torture), list the pairings and, when we get into the new season, if it has spoilers

                      give people info and let them make thier own minds

                      if i see AD recommending this 'kick ass sam/janet fic' and he says 'yes, it's slash, but there's no sex' then i don't see him apologizing for the paing and genre, i see him stating a fact about the fic that clarifies for some people whether or not they'll read it

                      i see it as just being responsible.

                      exodus was a kick ass fic. and i do think that it was only being responsble to say 'it does have sam/'jack in it' simply because we have folks here that don't like that angle and i'd rather have people warn for those squicks than hear that so and so will never read a rec in this thread again because the fic had character death in it and she'll never trust that person again.

                      from my pov, there was an author, years ago, that rec'd a fic where daniel dies. she didn't warn that it ws CD, the author didn't say, thus i felt coerced/trapped itno reading something i wouldn't because the author wasn't responsbile enough to properly label her fic.

                      i've never read anythig of hers since.

                      give people the info they need to make an informed choice and let it go.

                      and heck, if you want to, you don't even have to type it up. if the author has a header on her fic, just c/p that in here iwth the link. that should give people the info they need to make an informed decision
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by minigeek
                        OMG OMG, that was so beautiful. How do I tell her that was so beautiful?! I don't have an LJ account! What a perfectly real moment. *sigh*
                        has she disabled anonymous posting? because if she hasn't then you can reply to it and give her some feedback. i know she'd love to hear it
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?


                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by scarimor


                          I want some more Sam/Vala fics (not necessarily slashy - but those too ). I also have a craving for some Sam/RepliCarter fic - lord I love RepliCarter at the minute; I can not put my love for her into words adequately. AT rocks rocks rocks...


                          Spoiler:
                          I totally agree. Amanda was amazing as Replicarter. I just loved the expressions she got on her face.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by KatG
                            Okay. So that you're not the only one sticking your neck out, I'm one of the one's who greened rep you for it.

                            For instance, the other day when I recommended Annerb's "Exodus" here, I actually hesitated and thought about whether I should. Then I thought, there are shippers here so I should recommend it. Then I had to sit and think about how to recommend it, because I didn't want anyone to get upset about a ship fic, but then it was so good that the shippiness factor didn't really affect anything about it. And then finally I just posted it with a warning and let it be.

                            But it was a tough decision.
                            I guess more than anything it has to do with each personal's personal insecurities. Honestly I have no issues posting a fic that I consider to be really good regardless if it has a bit of ship in it...if ship isn't the entire premise of the story. I personally enjoyed Annerb's Exodus story, but to be honest, it wasn't a Sam story at all. It was a story about Jack with S/J relationship. So if you like Jack stories or if you were a shipper you probably enjoyed this story, but I could seriously understand why someone who wasn't a huge shipper wouldn't be interested in the story.

                            Please don't get me wrong I for one enjoyed the fic, but I guess one has to ask themselves if the only part Sam truly has in a story is the relationship she has with the main character of the story should it really be rec'd as a Sam fic on this thread?? I think it should if Sam is shown in a positive light, but I also think this is why we have the tags to identify a fic as a shippy fic or great Sam story with ship undertones so that those of us who would prefer to not read that particular kind of Sam fic can easily pass it by, but it still allows everyone else to the choice to read it.

                            Let's face it, there really isn't a huge amount of generic fics out there written specifically about Sam, so we are pretty limited in what types of fic we will find and the chances are pretty high that any good fics we do find involving Sam will more than likely involve one ship or another so I guess it comes down to do we stop posting Sam fics altogether? Or do we put up with everyone's personal ship preferences and just learn to deal with it as best we can? Personally, I vote for the latter.
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 13 May 2006, 03:44 PM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by SamFan31
                              Not quite on the subject of medals and fics, but I was thinking about all the comments from several days ago that discussed the friendship between Sam and Teal’c.

                              So, in the spirit of friendship here are a few pics about that special relationship.

                              Trust.
                              Your friend watches over you and sometimes you don’t even know it.
                              Your friend always covers your six.
                              You have concerns about your friend’s occasional drinking habits.
                              You enjoy a delicious meal, dining with your friend at your side.
                              A good friend knows when to be still and when to listen.
                              And when to comfort.
                              There are moments when you both have problems concealing your feelings.
                              You help your friend through his nightmares.
                              And your friend returns the favor.
                              Your friend’s words guide you through the dark days.
                              You love it when your friend says he is in your debt.
                              Your friend checks up on you when you are feeling down and out.
                              A friend is someone with whom you dare to be yourself.
                              Friends, indeed.
                              Wonderful post, Samfan!
                              Originally posted by SG1Poz
                              Thanks D

                              I've been reading the different and great ideas of Sam commanding her own ship and I think it's a very deserving idea.
                              I enjoyed Voyager which of course had Commander Janeway at the helm.
                              I can very easily see Sam in her place as she has the intelligence, experience and fortitude to command.

                              Scenerio: We see Sam sitting at the helm giving the order to begin the dialing sequence to open the Super Gate that they successfully won in battle from the Ori.
                              Ok there's where my little muse stops but the vision is there
                              They wouldn't necessarily have to remain space bound. My version compares to Atlantis and FireFly, which I really enjoyed, where they visit other planets and galaxies via both ship and super gate.
                              Wonderful, Poz!
                              Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I like the idea of sending AT some sort of ribbon thing re: what Sam should be wearing not as an angry "how dare they not get it right!" thing, but more of a "Sam is heroic and we think she's earned all these decorations" kind of thing. Another way to show AT support from Samanda.
                              Great thoughts, Jckfan!

                              So, what ribbons should Sam have that she doesn't?
                              --For a start, could we just look at Jack's and Cam's
                              and see which ones that they have that Sam could have too?)
                              --and then what other ribbons should Sam have
                              based on what she's done?

                              And, then... for the creatively inclined...

                              What ribbons could we create 'on our own'?
                              e.g., a Level 10 Blue Jello Citation
                              Originally posted by Strix varia
                              And geek, the respect and feeling of friendship is mutual. But, then, I like EVERYONE on this thread. Well, with some exceptions, like Astro and Ooober, who I simply cannot stand.
                              Strrrrri-i-i-ickkksssss.....mmmhmmmm.... and you probably thought I wasn't reading... or wasn't going to catch that!
                              Originally posted by Mandysg1
                              What I love about this thread is the people on it I love that we can talk about Amanda and Sam and show what we like/dislike about what's going on. We have had so many wonderful posts about AT/SC, what a wonderful person she is, and how she plays the character so well. But I also like coming here to talk with everyone here, to joke with them, to cry with them to congratulate them, its like a surrogate family and when I think of a specific person I think about that person not whether they are a shipper/non-shipper, because that part doesn't really matter to me, the friendships do.

                              So if someone feels uncomfortable about something on the thread, I'd like to know about it, incase I did something to contribute to the problem so I can stop doing it or to just let everyone know that its going on and we can all try to stop making others feel uncomfortable.

                              I for one would hate it if anyone left the thread, I'd miss you
                              Originally posted by minigeek
                              Now, on with the Carter!

                              Comment


                                Well Sam would have to get a medal for all the stupid questions she's had to answer. Usually in Jackspeak (monosyllabic) but these days, Landry and Mitchell seem to be glazed over just as bad.

                                But I mean...she's a genius after all and heck she was able to explain the extremely complex concept of wormhole physics with an apple.

                                That ALONE is worth a couple of ribbons on her chest.


                                ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X