Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    when you get right down to it, the protein marker/naqahdah thing is a plot device...and sometimes they forget what they did before and contradict themselves

my interpretaion

sam had naqahdah and will always have naqahdah. evidence cassandra who, decades later, still had hers.

jack likely has naqahdah too as does teal'c to a certain extent, although i think most of his was based in junior, and now that junior is gone, he's likely got only trace amounts (plus i can't see the snakes allowing the jaffa to have the power to use thier toys)

theoretically, jack can use goauld stuff...but a lot of it is based on your mental power and will...and i doubt that jack has the willingness to use it.

as to the protein injected into them in legacy, i'm willing to bet that it soon left thier system. thiers was based in their blood, so as the body recycled the blood, it'd shed itself of the protein

sam, however, has a large portion of her body that's contaminated for lack of a better word by jols' remains (see ther's a plot hole. how the heck did her body absorbe several ounces of alien flesh without an infection????) therefore sam will always have the protein marker since she has the source of it embedded into her body
    this will sound infantile, but i don't want jack to have those powers like sam... i wanted sam to be the only person that was special this way.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RetaGamai
      Ooooo, nice twist! That would an interesting connecting point.
      Hi, thanks for the welcome skydiver and also thanks ForeverSg1, glad to meet you at the con! That last was my first post I believe. I really haven't been lurking I'm more of a 'check out some of the back pages then post' kinda girl I always loved Carter and AT, but have trouble keeping up with highposting boards Plus someone at the con recommended this thread so here I am(thanks LadyJeep), nice to meet y'all!!!
      Dara, great seeing you here! Isn't this a great place
      In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
      so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
      Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
      Hic Comitas Regit
      Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
      Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        and darn fine fic it is

the current one is gonna be great

i'm off plumbing with teal'c. I think i'm gonna wrench his monkey
        Hey we could all use our pipes cleaned sometimes, with the help of Teal'c of course
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Indeed
          Thanks for SIG to KIDWIZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
            That is SOOO cool.

Do we get T-Shirts?!?!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Hey we could all use our pipes cleaned sometimes, with the help of Teal'c of course
              I don't know.... do you think Sam would be available to help me with mine?
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Finally the internet has returned .
                They've been doing work on the cable in the area for days now, and just now this afternoon it came back online.
                It's good to be back here again!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Welcome back little page! do you have the jitters from Samanda withdrawal?

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    I don't know.... do you think Sam would be available to help me with mine?
                    Only if she borrows Silers "Wrench"
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      Originally Posted by Lys
                      I think you're correct. At first, you'll find high levels of the protein marquer and then when time passes, the levels decrease. If we assume the protein marker and the naquadah left by Jolinar in Sam's blood work this way, it could be the reason why she couldn't make the healing device work on Daniel almost 4 years after Jolinar and why she could make it work on Cronus only 1 year after Jolinar.
                      If this is the explanation and if for once there's consistent writing, we should expect Vala's abilities to use Goa'uld technology to also wear off sometime in the future.

But remember Kendra from Thor's Hammer? She'd been free of her Goa'uld for several years and yet was still quite able to use the healing devices.
                      Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already but Joe Mallozzi mentioned that the reason Sam couldn't use the gou'ald devices well was because she only had traces of naquadah in her blood due to only carrying a symbiote for a short period of time. So supposedly the longer someone is host to a symbiote the more naquadah in the blood and the more likely they are at being able to successfully use the Gou'ald devices.

Sam will always have the ability but because she didn't carry Jolinar for long she doesn't have control over the devices the way Vala probably does and always will.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already but Joe Mallozzi mentioned that the reason Sam couldn't use the gou'ald devices well was because she only had traces of naquadah in her blood due to only carrying a symbiote for a short period of time. So supposedly the longer someone is host to a symbiote the more naquadah in the blood and the more likely they are at being able to successfully use the Gou'ald devices.

Sam will always have the ability but because she didn't carry Jolinar for long she doesn't have control over the devices the way Vala probably does and always will.
                        It really doesn't matter how long she carried Jolinar, since Jolinar died inside of her, releasing the naquada (bad plot hole)
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Guess that makes sense. An increased exposure would likely lead to a greater build-up of naquadah. I kinda like how Sam is so unsure of herself when it comes to operating Gou'ald stuff. Her scene in "Meridian" when she attempted to heal Daniel was so touching and sad.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

i thought when they died that was the protein marker that was released, is that the naquadah too?
                            Thanks for SIG to KIDWIZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              Then Jack should be able to use Goa'uld tech. The goa'uld's voluntary or involuntary exit from the host shouldn't matter if naquadah in the host's blood is not related to absorbtion of the symbiote itself, right?
                              You'll probably find that the amount of naquadah that is absorbed in the body is very small but accumulates over time; however, larger traces of naquadah are probably absorbed into the body when a symbiote actually dies inside it's host. So in Sam's case although she was only a host for a short amount of time, her symbiote died inside her thus she recieved a larger dose of naquadah in her body; whereas in Jack's case he was not host to Kanan for very long nor did the symbiote actually die within him so he may not show enough traces of naquadah to actually activate a Gou'ald device. And in Vala's case, her symbiote may not have died within her, so she may not have the protein marker, but because she may have been a host to Qetesh for years she may have absorbed much more naquadah in her blood over time than Sam.

This is just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

sam thinking --

'let's see.... 8 tablespoons of magnesium hydroxide... no, it was 10 tablespoons... i think cameron will luuv my little gift to him.... oh, yeah'

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X