Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    It shouldn't be too hard to do. Just switch Claudia Black with Amanda Tapping, subtract four years, and add all of the variables that have contributed to season nine:

1.) Say Farscape had lasted a looooong time - nine years, in fact

2.) Say Claudia Black went on maternity leave just before the production of the ninth season

3.) Say Ben Browder, after years and years of working in the biz, decided to retire and spend time with his family

4.) Say Aeryn and the rest of the Farscape folks were all downsized for...

a.) Michael Shanks, as Sir Hottie Pants, who had superb chemistry with Rygel
    and
    b.) Amanda Tapping, as Blondie McPerfection, who found herself infringing a tad on Aeryn's territory...

5.) Say that, once Claudia Black made it back to the set, the show was already transformed into something completely different - both internally and externally
    see, i've done this with just ben browder/chryton (sp?).

what if at the beginning of one of their seasons, ben's wife had a baby and ben took paternity leave. he missed the first five eps to be with his wife and child. while he was gone, the ptb hired another actor to take chryton's place. i don't know if there's a real leader per se, but let's say that this new character was leading the group. and then ben returned, but the new character (and leader of group)... kept being the leader. and ben's chryton is now second to being in charge. now how would ben browder/chryton fans feel?

i don't know how to spell chryton/cryton/chritan/crytan/???, so no offense.

sally
    Last edited by majorsal; 29 March 2006, 10:22 PM. Reason: because i can't seem to type tonight! :o
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
      Have you read the quote from Claud's interview in my sig? She said that Vala HAS A MORAL COMPASS...

Take into consideration that this particular newcomer was quite heavily pregnant during filming this episode, feeling maybe not very well, so I guess Rob just wanted to be nice towards her and this was the reason for talking to her first. I agree though that everybody should have received contract at the same time.
      formerhost, is there a 'vala's a great character' thread somewhere on gateworld? if not, you could make one and we could continue this convo over there?

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        oh the character would have existed. They would have just cast somene else, like the re-cast orlin and cassie and have made other casting changes during the years

FOr you and for other claudia fans, the show is a goldmine. she is obviously adored and the gem of tptb's eyes. Doesn't stop her character from being seriously flawed and definitely not a character that - prior to s9 - anyone would expect to be a part of the show, at least not on a regular and in the forefront of the show basis

However, if a random actress was playing vala, the same 'bad girl with a heart of gold' cliche that she is now...would she still be as interesting and preferred...or would she fall the way of the other cliches they've tried over the years?

i keep thinking about when mgm made bridge write in a sexy female (sexy as in barely clothed), and we got anise/freya in season 4. bridge supposedly didn't want a character like this, and when she didn't take off, they were more than happy to write her out. now, it comes off as bridge wanting *all* the characters to be like anise/freya. (and remember how tame freya/anise really was? the only 'out there' thing with her was her clothes)

can you imagine how the ptb would have reacted to vala? i can't, because back in that day, they wouldn't have written a character like vala.

sexy and brassy can be fun. if done with class. (to me)

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Suse does have a point. It seems that Samanda is becoming Valanda. How about the vala discussion continue in the Vala thread or we start another one to debate the character?

We - including me - need to keep things more Samified in here.

How about...If you could alter the ending of any show, season 1-8, what would it be and why?
          the first thing that sprang to mind wasn't altering an ending, but a beginning. i'd change season 8's 'new order' totally and completely. 'lost city' was great and powerful, so i would have continued in *that* vain... i'm not a fan of 'new order' really, even though i've got it on tape. and the only reason for that is the sam-fifth scenes (amanda was awesome!).

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            on the change the ending of one episode topic, i think i can tell you what amandas would probably be.

she said in the red sky commentary that she wished the planet hadn't been saved in that one.

and i'd say she'd change the ending of affinity, but i'd change the whole episode
            okay, you've reminded me. i'd change the ending of chimera. sam would have been mad at pete for spying/following/checking up on her. whether she kept him around or not after that is not the point right now; it's sam acting like she's always acted and responding to being treated with disrespect. so i'd have her get pissed at him for treating her that way.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              No, I was there with you and she did share the sad story ... that she was about eight weeks along and then lost the baby shortly after end of that season. I give her credit for sharing that part of her life with her fans. Olivia is her "miracle baby" I believe she also said at one time. She and Alan must be the doting parents.
              Hmm, I seem to recall Amanda talking about Olivia this past weekend.
              Someone mentioned Olivia celebrating her 1st birthday last week and Amanda jokingly said something about kids coming with a one year return policy. You had one year to decide if you really liked them or not or you could return them and then went on to say that she really liked Olivia and had decided to keep her.

You'll have to forgive me for not remembering more of what she said but unfortunately my fever seems to have my mind a bit clouded as I can only recall bits and pieces of what she said. Hopefully, my comments will spark someone elses memory and they will be able to recall the conversation a bit more thoroughly.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by starprops
                I'd change the end of Desperate Measures - It always bothered me that Jack handed Sam a gun and sent her out to look for the missing gould, whenhe had know idea what she'd gone through, we know she'd been drugged to the gills for most of the 4 or 5 days she'd been theresoooooo Anyway I would have had Sam be the one who encountered the gould and was shot - how Jack, Daniel, Tealc and Janet woud react could have been a couple of episodes, a scene here or there...
                argh, yes, another one!

here sam went through hell and it was 'jack' that was getting comfort and concern at the end. i never understood that. okay, jack got shot, that's bad, but sam was kidnapped, drugged, experiemented on, and almost murdered... the focus should have stayed on *her*. blasted writers

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  hey i'm not that bad. its not like i'm sally

and i meant out of consideration of the fact that the newbies might not like the ship.
                  hey!

shush, don't tell ppl my secret... whichever secret it is... this week

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Which explains why the are so protective of her. And i would be too. especially given some of the reports of the more...unique fans that were at the vancouver con

I'd be protective too.

Mama Bear syndrome
                    Yeah there were some interesting people at the con this year. It has been a couple of years since I heard/saw some such interesting people up at the mic at a con. But even as interesting as a few were they are nothing like some of the folks I have heard at Star Trek cons.

I have posted a few more pictures here and will continue to post pictures as I get my 35mm film developed.

On con news I should say that I will be going to GABIT. When I arrived at work on Tuesday the fall schedule was in my box and the weekend of Gabit is the only weekend I have off in Novemeber and I have decided to go.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

isn't it priceless???

and doesn't he have the skinniest legs????

hey, watch it! that's richarddeansexgodanderson you're talking about woman!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Token
                        Since you have enjoyed the picture, how about a GIF(t) ????

uh, i don't know what your purpose was for posting this gif, but i just had an o****m, so thanks.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                          I actually had jello shooters for the FIRST time ever a couple of weeks ago... I agree with the rum and Diet Coke, but I can see her having fun with the jello.
                          Ooh I've never had jello shooters. They sound good though. Of course with Sam, it would have to be blue jello I agree about the rum and Diet Coke too. Rum and Coke is good and we know from Upgrades that Sam prefers Diet Coke anyway.

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Hmm, I seem to recall Amanda talking about Olivia this past weekend.
                          Someone mentioned Olivia celebrating her 1st birthday last week and Amanda jokingly said something about kids coming with a one year return policy. You had one year to decide if you really liked them or not or you could return them and then went on to say that she really liked Olivia and had decided to keep her.

You'll have to forgive me for not remembering more of what she said but unfortunately my fever seems to have my mind a bit clouded as I can only recall bits and pieces of what she said. Hopefully, my comments will spark someone elses memory and they will be able to recall the conversation a bit more thoroughly.

Kat
                          That's all I can remember about it too, but I just have a bad memory I felt like Amanda said that in a joking tone, but you can tell she really loves Olivia. She was also talking about possibly adopting, but hasn't decided if it's something she is going to do. When she said that, she joked that you don't have to worry about naming the kid. I like Amanda's sense of humour, rather sarcastic

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          Yeah there were some interesting people at the con this year. It has been a couple of years since I heard/saw some such interesting people up at the mic at a con. But even as interesting as a few were they are nothing like some of the folks I have heard at Star Trek cons.
                          This was my 2nd con and I didn't think anyone could ask questions that were stranger than ones asked at my last con, but I was wrong I haven't been to a Star Trek con, but there are some interesting Stargate fans
                          Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                          Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Carson's girl
                            Ooh I've never had jello shooters. They sound good though. Of course with Sam, it would have to be blue jello I agree about the rum and Diet Coke too. Rum and Coke is good and we know from Upgrades that Sam prefers Diet Coke anyway.

That's all I can remember about it too, but I just have a bad memory I felt like Amanda said that in a joking tone, but you can tell she really loves Olivia. She was also talking about possibly adopting, but hasn't decided if it's something she is going to do. When she said that, she joked that you don't have to worry about naming the kid. I like Amanda's sense of humour, rather sarcastic

This was my 2nd con and I didn't think anyone could ask questions that were stranger than ones asked at my last con, but I was wrong I haven't been to a Star Trek con, but there are some interesting Stargate fans

Oh that's right someone asked her if she had picked out names for any future children. I remember her saying there was a boy's name she really liked. I'm thinking it was Nicholas, but that's probably wrong. Then she said there was always Jack, Daniel, Teal'c... and APOPHIS! rofl The woman is a hoot. Someone really needs to put her on SNL or Comedy Central.
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 30 March 2006, 05:47 AM.

Comment

ROFL.... Teal'c stop pulling your sister's hair, Apophis turn the play station off now!!!

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Oh that's right someone asked her if she had picked out names for any future children. I remember her saying she there was a boy's name she really liked. I'm thinking it was Nicholas, but that's probably wrong. Then she said there was always Jack, Daniel, Teal'c... and APOPHIS! rofl The woman is a hoot. Someone really needs to put her on SNL or Comedy Central.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                We've already cleared that up, Kat. She was pregnant during Resurrection. She had a miscarriage just after. Probably due to the stresses of filming and directing and everything else.

Ah, probably not due to that. About one in four human pregnancies results in a miscarriage anyway. It's very common. Most happen so early that the woman doesn't even know she was pregnant, but still a heck of a lot happen somewhere within the first 12 weeks for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with what the woman's doing at the time. It is very sad and not something women should feel guilty about because of work commitments etc. (I know you weren't doing a blame thing, Tracy Jane, I just felt I needed to say it, even as someone who is lucky enough never to have suffered it.)
                                Last edited by scarimor; 30 March 2006, 12:47 AM.
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X