Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Hmm, has anyone else read the newest GW story about the new season beginning this week? Most of it was information that we have all heard already, but there was one line that sort of stood out to me...

Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and Beau Bridges return for another 20 episodes -- though Shanks and Tapping are expected to sit out a few, as well as make crossover appearances on SG-1's sister show.

Obviously, someone has heard more information than the rest of us. I thought Amanda had signed for 20 episodes? I know we had heard that she may do some cross overs, but she's going to be sitting out a few episodes as well? Or were they just implying MS would be sitting out a few and both Amanda and MS would be on Atlantis?

I saw this too! As far as I am concerned all JM's efforts to contradict the rumors we have heard early on just went out the window. Are they going to continue to push Carter to the back of the room with Teal'c? I think they will just so they can showcase their leading man. THey have already taken many of her plot devices away.
    Spoiler:
    No more Goa'uld, No Tok'ra, CAssie is no where to be seen, Her dad's gone, she doesn't ever use any Goa'uld technology anymore(not even the healing device), they took command away, Janet (her best friend) is gone, JAck is gone (yes I'm a shipper ), etc.
    Me personally I think there are a lot of stories left to tell for CArter, but I fear the writers will diminish AT, MS, and CJ even more than they already have. I know MS is taking time off to be with his daughter, which I think is great for him. I see them giving his stoylines to Cam or Vala. AT took time off to have a daughter and she got kicked to the curb in the process.

Also since I seem to be ranting today (okay I have been doing that a lot lately hence the reason I am trying to stay away . Sorry ) I don't really trust any of the writers/directors, etc. I like Martin Wood, but at this point I don't really want to see the last two episodes of this seasons based on the spoilers. I want to support AT, but in doing so I also support what TPTB are writing. Dilemma dilemma... Now I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me or ban the show or anything like that. I think there are some that are tolerating the show for various reasons and some that may even enjoy the show. I truly think that is great. Now I will say there have been a few good episodes in the last couple of weeks, with great Carter moments and even a few dare I say it team moments (although too far and few between for my taste).

Okay I guess that's it for me for now.
    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 22 February 2006, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      As I said, Kat, it was a personal thing, and I eventually said, well, she deserves it after saving the planet. Plus Sam Carter was always meant to be a high flyer on the fast track, you know?
      D'oh, ForeverSg1 beat me to the punch! I've been meaning to ask about the criticism of Carter's promotion to Lt Col, because I have never understood it. My reckoning has been the same as ForeverSg1's: That Carter could have been promoted anytime from the start of S6 (minimum TiG) onward. Indeed, the promotion in 2004 made Carter just about average, and certainly not above average.

Tracy Jane, if I may, I still don't understand your iss-ewe with it. Would you say more? I'd like to hear from someone like you who didn't dislike the promotion simply because it was Carter who got it.
      Last edited by DEM; 22 February 2006, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
        I saw this too! As far as I am concerned all JM's efforts to contradict the rumors we have heard early on just went out the window...
        I don't know about that. To be honest, and no offense is meant to whoever wrote that piece, it wasn't exactly clear. For one, this is the first that there has been any hint of MS doing crossovers to SGA. With the way spoilers fly, if it were true that he was, wouldn't that have come out before?

I think that's because he isn't, and that sentance was just very poorly structured. I don't think anything has changed from what we already know. MS is taking 4 episodes off for family stuff, and AT is doing 2-3 eps of SGA instead of SG1 next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          I don't know about that. To be honest, and no offense is meant to whoever wrote that piece, it wasn't exactly clear. For one, this is the first that there has been any hint of MS doing crossovers to SGA. With the way spoilers fly, if it were true that he was, wouldn't that have come out before?

I think that's because he isn't, and that sentance was just very poorly structured. I don't think anything has changed from what we already know. MS is taking 4 episodes off for family stuff, and AT is doing 2-3 eps of SGA instead of SG1 next season.
          I agree with you; I think it's just not very clearly written. (I have to admit that I was a bit concerned the first time I read it) Amanda said that she signed up for 20 episodes like every year before, just that it was unclear how many would be on SGA. Unless something happened and they actually changed the contract, I think it's very unlikely that Amanda is sitting out any episodes.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

I'm right there with you. I read the news item and immediately cringed when I came to that sentence. I suppose it is possible that Gateworld has learned exclusive spoilers that further elucidate the jumbled cast structure for season 10 episodes. I suppose that could be the case. But I, like Deejay435, think that it's just a poorly written sentence that adds further confusion and needless worry to an already touchy situation. A little more care when writing "news" could go a long way.

Anyway, I still say it's too early in the production season for them to know exactly what they're going to do in the back half of season 10. I think it's definite that MS will miss some episodes. Aside from that, I don't think anything is set in stone. If SG-1 does end next year, then I'm not sure if AT crossing over will become more or less likely.

Comment

Tracy Jane, if I may, I still don't understand your iss-ewe with it. Would you say more? I'd like to hear from someone like you who didn't dislike the promotion simply because it was Carter who got it.
              I don't understand it myself. It's just one of those things that never sat right for me. I love Sam, as you know, and I realise that she deserves the promotion after all she's done for the world, but it seemed very quick.

There again, these things do seem very quick for me. I was watching a show that I thought aired for the first time last year, and it turned out to be dated 2002. I think it's probably just a time distortion thing. It seems to have shot past so it seems like Carter received promotion too quickly.

I guess, as well, that I'm judging it by the fact that O'Neill only got one promotion (though he's had two now too). Having said that, you have to take O'Neill's disregard for the regs and troublemaking into account.

It's just a personal feeling. It doesn't quite sit right with me. I'm starting to get used to it, and we have to acknowledge (As proved by certain references in Ripple Effect) that we don't actually know how much time has passed in the Stargate universe. It could be weeks, months, even, between the missions we see on TV. For every mission on screen, there has got to be about 20 "boring" ones (but whoever decided P3X 595 wasn't screenworthy needs shooting )

But although I now feel comfortable with Lt Colonel Carter, a full bird would be too much to swallow.

Teej

((Why on Earth do I open my stupid big mouth?))
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                Though she is hot as hell in those pics ...Why is she wrapped in the American flag if she's Canadian?
                I actually have one of her in front of a Canadian flag. She's naked: it's a pretty good quality fake but obviously can't be posted here.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Geeky, ala Moebius.

Hey, what can I say? I like glasses and sweaters.

Comment

Ah, so it's just a quirk! Seriously, thanks for explaining.

(Speaking of time distortion: I went through all 8 years of the series in about 2 months. My first episode of SG-1 was 6th Sep 2005!)

I guess, as well, that I'm judging it by the fact that O'Neill only got one promotion (though he's had two now too). Having said that, you have to take O'Neill's disregard for the regs and troublemaking into account.
                    Don't forget the retirements! For O'Neill, though, I really think this was a matter of keeping him on the team. You can't very well have a Brigadier General going through the gate on a weekly basis, I don't think. Plus, promotion to General is different than Regular Officer promotions, in that they're much harder to obtain.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      You know, I think that the writers are in the exact same place. Well, I think that they were in the same place a few months ago. I think that the writers too want to make things more bearable overall. At the very least I believe they realize that the current situation is a problem for many people for many different reasons.

The sad part, for me, is that in an effort to ameliorate the problem they were/are considering removing Carter from the show. Carter's experience and competence is a problem for Mitchell and a problem for the current course of the show. Period. To remove that obstacle they are obviously willing to chuck Carter to Atlantis for as big a stint as they could have/can get away with. I know a lot of people here aren't opposed to the idea of Carter going to Atlantis. But I am. I think it's a cheap, insulting way to get around the command issues. I think it's a crappy way to treat AT. I think that TPTB hope that fans don't get too angry, that they can maybe convince enough people that Carter is still a vital part of the Stargate universe, all the while making sure that she doesn't become too vital a part of SG-1 and that she doesn't undermine Mitchell's supposed command and Vala's new presence. And, yes, part of my opinion is colored by the fact that I find Atlantis to be a vastly inferior show. But the larger part of my opinion is colored by AT's own reluctance to quietly consent to this course of action. She's clearly made an effort to express her dissatisfaction with the idea, and she's made it clear that she does not want to leave SG-1. I guess we'll all just wait and see how amendable TPTB really were/are regarding this issue as I don't think fans, in general, could express themselves any louder or more effectively than they did when this splitting time idea was first floated.

As for command in season nine, I don't think they could skirt the issue any better if they tried.
                      Spoiler:
                      There's been some Scourge discussion here over the past few days about why Carter was left in the cave while Mitchell went out on recon. And, while I'd like to believe it's because they wanted Carter to protect the delegates, the cyincal part of me (which is just about my entire being) realizes that it was simply another way to keep Carter and Mitchell separate but equal. Near as I can tell, they're planning on a similar course of action next week in Arthur's Mantle. The writers have gone to great lengths to keep them apart in Ex Deus Machina, Babylon, The Fourth Horseman, Stronghold, and Ethon. Given their apparent reticence to commit one way or the other, I see no reason why this pattern won't continue in season 10. And contrary to what Joe Mallozzi has teased, I'll believe that they'll clarify the command structure when I see it on screen.

Apologies for the cynical outlook, but, despite all other appearances, that is who I am.
                      This is just a fantastic post Golfbooy and I feel exactly the same

I am so offended by the situation that i really don't want to watch the show any more. It is a matter of principal. Whoever has made these knee jerk decisions has failed on so many counts to honour the fantastic sucess of the show over the last 8 years and the hard work of everyone involved in it.

The current offering seems to have less to do with conveying the importace of loyaly, truth, honour and respect as vital human qualities and more to do with spin and sex. Now you can hook some of the young and inexperienced with a plate full of dressed up piffle, but not the older and wiser.

The way the 3 long term actors have been treated has been appalling. And no one dare say to me "well that's how it is in show business". It is only like that as long as disgraceful individuals are prepared to act in this manner.

In particular I'm totally disgusted at the way Amanda has been treated especially not being told what was happening regarding the renewal of her contract. It was just a totally disgraceful way to behave.

Amanda has invested so much in the show, she must take a lot of the credit for making Carter such a wonderful and interesting character. And I think a lot of the show's sucess is down to the sucess of this character. If the writers feel like they are done with Carter - well I'm the viewer - not them - I demand new writers clear and simple. The writers are getting just a little bit too big for their boots and low on creative thinking if you ask me.

And lastly I have to mention it again. Having Vala in the limelight whilst a fantastic female role model like Sam Carter is brushed aside it a total insult to me as a hard working prefesional female. The Vala's of this world just make it harder for women to be taken serioulsy and treated as equals. It has nothing to do with CB, nothing at all. I just cringe at the thought of young women thinking Vala is cool. Sam is cool, Vala is a male fantasy. I see lines of young women queing to give back the vote, well and truly suckered!

AND IF ANY OF TPTB ARE WATCHING I HAVEN'T BEEN BOTHERED TO WATCH 3 EPS I HAVE WAITING - EVEN THOUGH AMANDA IS IN THEM!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                        I agree with you; I think it's just not very clearly written. (I have to admit that I was a bit concerned the first time I read it) Amanda said that she signed up for 20 episodes like every year before, just that it was unclear how many would be on SGA. Unless something happened and they actually changed the contract, I think it's very unlikely that Amanda is sitting out any episodes.
                        Though didn't she say in the latest interview that she would be doing at least up to the 200th ep and then after that who knows. Is that when they will be expecting CB to return from maternity leave.?

I suspect the worst as all my suspicions over the last year have ALLL come true!!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          That's it, exactly. That's so true. If only they'd written Mitchell differently, he could have been far more believeable. But he came in as an inexperienced, inept, bumbling loud-mouth, hot-shot. With nothing to back that up. No extensive experience, no special training, nothing. He's just a guy who talks loud and looks good in leather - so hey, lets make him the leader! *sigh*
                          Does this mean they based the character on PDL

And then there's Sam - whom the writing team says they're "finished exploring, as of season eight". What? How is that possible? Stick a fork in her, she's done? No more character development? How can we have a character continue to exist who has nothing further to gain, no further growth to attain? It's simply not possible.
                          Lets hope they change their minds, because there is soooo much more to Sam than just being able to pronounce the big words

If not... I just don't see the viewership holding out another two years. It isn't strong enough anymore, and all they've got left to save themselves is the strength of their writing team, coupled with their ability to leverage their assets a whole lot better (and by assets, I mean actors like Amanda, who somehow manage to make every scene they're a part of turn into a tour de force).

minigeek
                          You know if they continue to sc**w with the fans, there won't be enough to care about the show when they want to make movies. Then they'll be wondering what happened to all the fans

coupled with their ability to leverage their assets a whole lot better
                          You know if you want to get their attention you have change the words to cleavage and asses
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Well it seems as if we have come full circle. We began the season with Avalon I & II and we have three episodes left... Arthur's Mantle, Crusade and Camelot.

Let's just hope the remaining three episodes delve into the Arthurian mythos a bit better than the first two episodes did. I've always been intrigued with the story of King Arthur, Merlin and the Knights of the Round table so I have to admit I was quite disappointed with the story arc. Hopefully, the season finale will give us more than holographic knights and wizards.

Despite all the backstepping the writers have done with the character of Sam, having thrown her back into the exposition girl position, I think Amanda has done an amazing job with the limited scenes has been given. There have been very few scenes with Sam this season that I havent enjoyed, I for one just wish we had had more.

Whether I decide to watch season ten or not will depend heavily on how this season ends and how the main three characters are written. If they are all in the background and treated as wallpaper, then more than likely I won't be back; but I'm glad that I have the opportunity to thank Amanda, as well as CJ and MS, in person for all the wonderful years of entertainment they have given me. They have done an amazing job and because of the show and their wonderful performances, I have had the opportunity to meet some truly wonderful people on this forum; and for that I will be eternally grateful.
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 February 2006, 11:31 AM.

Comment

On a much lighter note Sam is still leading in the who should lead polls at 70.65% - though only just shy of 300 have voted.

The dancerofspaz is bravely doing battle with Lightsabre

Most of the "for sam carter's" don't see Mitchell as command material at all.

Now either the writers are really just blind to what type of character would make an acceptable leader on SG1 OR they are ticked off with being told what direction to travel in and are nailing the show to the wall.

I really can't think of any other explanation. Unless the idea is to have Vala lead by the end of season 10?!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                I want to contribute something useful to the discussion, but as usual "I got nothin".

I don't see Sam as a full bird. I'm sorry, but as much as I love the character, I did find two promotions in such quick succession a little hard to swallow. I eventually washed it down with the She-Saved-The-Universe-Again line.

As for plotholes etc and writing skills, and what Sky was saying about the whole family in chain of command thing. I honestly think that they finally tied up the Air Force Advisor and locked him in a cupboard. I swear, if Jack O'Neill were still around this season, they'd be making out in the infirmary. It's that ridiculous these days.

Amanda on Atlantis.... I'd really like to see Sam interact with Weir. Two very strong female characters. Actually, I'd quite like to see her interact with lots of different members of the Atlantis team, not just Rodney all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam/Rodney interaction, always makes me laugh, but I think we need to see more than just that.

And today's headline news? Well, I took it to mean that both Shanks and Tapping are taking time off SG1, and both will be making appearances on Atlantis. I don't think it means Amanda is taking time off, just that she's not in all 20 eps of SG1, which we already knew.

Sorry. I'll go back to lurking, as I have been for the past few days. There's nothing really to contribute.
                                Errr - you did contribute and very finely!!

Comment

Working...
                                X