No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8...tapping2jb.png (162k)
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome - it's so great to see this thread still going strong.
      While the server appears to be working, I'll weigh in on a couple of topics that I saw in the last few pages of posts:

On the topic of Sam In Command: I'm still pissed (*really* angry) that Carter isn't in command of SG-1. Taking command away from Carter and giving it to someone else was a nasty move. Of all of the things that I've seen on TV and in the movies, this is one of the most disgusting. I won't say anymore here, because it will just bring in the black clouds and such.

On the 'lighter' topic of Pete: I really liked KatG's idea: Now that's how I see Sam!
      Hey Astro it is so good to see you back.

I totally agree with you on the Sam in Command issue. She has been groomed for command over the last 8 years - it is where she should be. We all know why she isn't there and it just makes TPTB look very pathetic.

I finally took the plunge and have now watched up to the end of episode 9 in season 9 and here are my thoughts.

1) Though I tried very hard to keep an open opinion regarding Vala, by the end of episode 5 she was really getting on my nerves. I was relieved when she went and I'm not looking forward to her return. However having said that, there were flashes of Vala I liked - albeit too brief. Vala's character and backstory and CB's strong presence are a wonderful gift which has been totally blighted (IMO) by a) constant cleavage display, b) incessant sexual innuendo, c) a play to make us "feel" for someone we would abhore if we knew in reality (especially if we were one of her victims) d) Too much childish whining, moaning and pouting.
      I'm afraid this isn't SG1 for me. However what potential. If the writers changed the above !! There were glimpses of a great character and a character which would complement Sam - again in my opinion. She could still have the snarky lines - she could be the one who says what Sam can't because she holds back due to her military position. We could have 2 great female characters. But we haven't got this - we have something that I'm afraid I just cringe at. Is this how men want to see and portray women? However if they change Vala to the extent I would wish, then the people who love Vala would be very disappointed - as she would be a very different character. Problems eh!!

2) Oh dear - the Mitchel command issue is just a disaster. I really feel for Ben on this. He was totally out of the frame whilst CB was around, now the writers are struggling to make him command material. Given that Sam should really have been in command I would have thought that it would be important to establish Cameron as a really strong credible force. I think the writers got diverted on the Vala issue which is a shame. At the moment he is just too flip for me and there are too many one liners. Some of him is funny and again he has great potential - but for me the writers just haven't got it quite right yet. You really need strong leadership in a team of 4 at the top of the tree - Cameron's leadership seemed to be very poor - he just doesn't know enough. On the upside he's brave, loyal, and some of his one liners are great. I really enjoyed the ep centered around him. I would just like the writers to make him more assertive and confident and less flip than he is - for me it is just too much. He lacks something at the moment but I really don't think Ben has been given much opportunity to develop the character. I'm hopeful this will come in the second half of the season.

3) The Ori are getting on my nerves. The Goauld were brilliant and colourful baddies. All we see of the Ori are the very dull plodding Priors. Glad that Baal made an appearance (he's a bit of a dish). The annubis clone ep was interesting too - and a great team ep as all the team members were involved. I question whether the Ori have the staying power of the Goaul'd - I think not.

4) I actually like Landry, though I still prefer Hammond, Landry is a good alternative I love the way he's being played.

5) Daniel is much better without Vala. Paired with Vala he is just something for her to play off. On his own he gets chance to shine on his own. I've always loved the character and always thought he would be a better match for Sam than O'Neill (ducks as things are thrown in my direction from the shippers).

6) Teal'c - he has had more to say than I thought he would and this has pleased me. I still wish they would make more of this character. Chris is a great actor. On the down side there have been a couple of instances where he has shown Cameron little respect. I don't think this is Teal'c - Teal'c is always respectful. I hope for more Teal'c in the second half of the season within the team - not off with the Jaffa.

7) Sam - just great to see her back. Amanda looks fantastic. She seems to be more in the background and having less of an impact. I hope she is brought more to the fore where she should rightly be – though I don’t mean this in terms of taking time away from the other characters. I just want her time to be the quality Carter which existed in previous seasons. We got to see Sam in Battle which was great and Sam being eyed up again by Barret - poor chap - I think him sexy too!
      I really did like how Vala figured out how to stop the supa stargate from Sam's analysis. This is the Vala I want to see. If we got these two working together. Just drop the whole childish sexual innuendo cleavage revealing alien thing - it would just be brilliant - though they would totally outshine the rest of the male cast!!

So I'm still sat on the fence awaiting what the rest of the season brings and hoping that the writers change Vala totally not just tone her down. She is obviously too brave and intelligent to be the whining moaning type. The writers have her as 2 different people at the moment. She still could be the reason for me to stop watching Stargate depending on how she is written in season 10. If Sam is pushed to the background to give Vala airtime then I'm outta the show!!

Comment

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Happy New Year to everyone!!!
          Looks at time - your about 157 hours late Coley lol j/k

Happy New year to you aswell
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Hey Astro it is so good to see you back.

I totally agree with you on the Sam in Command issue. She has been groomed for command over the last 8 years - it is where she should be. We all know why she isn't there and it just makes TPTB look very pathetic.

I finally took the plunge and have now watched up to the end of episode 9 in season 9 and here are my thoughts.

1) Though I tried very hard to keep an open opinion regarding Vala, by the end of episode 5 she was really getting on my nerves. I was relieved when she went and I'm not looking forward to her return. However having said that, there were flashes of Vala I liked - albeit too brief. Vala's character and backstory and CB's strong presence are a wonderful gift which has been totally blighted (IMO) by a) constant cleavage display, b) incessant sexual innuendo, c) a play to make us "feel" for someone we would abhore if we knew in reality (especially if we were one of her victims) d) Too much childish whining, moaning and pouting.
            I'm afraid this isn't SG1 for me. However what potential. If the writers changed the above !! There were glimpses of a great character and a character which would complement Sam - again in my opinion. She could still have the snarky lines - she could be the one who says what Sam can't because she holds back due to her military position. We could have 2 great female characters. But we haven't got this - we have something that I'm afraid I just cringe at. Is this how men want to see and portray women? However if they change Vala to the extent I would wish, then the people who love Vala would be very disappointed - as she would be a very different character. Problems eh!!

2) Oh dear - the Mitchel command issue is just a disaster. I really feel for Ben on this. He was totally out of the frame whilst CB was around, now the writers are struggling to make him command material. Given that Sam should really have been in command I would have thought that it would be important to establish Cameron as a really strong credible force. I think the writers got diverted on the Vala issue which is a shame. At the moment he is just too flip for me and there are too many one liners. Some of him is funny and again he has great potential - but for me the writers just haven't got it quite right yet. You really need strong leadership in a team of 4 at the top of the tree - Cameron's leadership seemed to be very poor - he just doesn't know enough. On the upside he's brave, loyal, and some of his one liners are great. I really enjoyed the ep centered around him. I would just like the writers to make him more assertive and confident and less flip than he is - for me it is just too much. He lacks something at the moment but I really don't think Ben has been given much opportunity to develop the character. I'm hopeful this will come in the second half of the season.

3) The Ori are getting on my nerves. The Goauld were brilliant and colourful baddies. All we see of the Ori are the very dull plodding Priors. Glad that Baal made an appearance (he's a bit of a dish). The annubis clone ep was interesting too - and a great team ep as all the team members were involved. I question whether the Ori have the staying power of the Goaul'd - I think not.

4) I actually like Landry, though I still prefer Hammond, Landry is a good alternative I love the way he's being played.

5) Daniel is much better without Vala. Paired with Vala he is just something for her to play off. On his own he gets chance to shine on his own. I've always loved the character and always thought he would be a better match for Sam than O'Neill (ducks as things are thrown in my direction from the shippers).

6) Teal'c - he has had more to say than I thought he would and this has pleased me. I still wish they would make more of this character. Chris is a great actor. On the down side there have been a couple of instances where he has shown Cameron little respect. I don't think this is Teal'c - Teal'c is always respectful. I hope for more Teal'c in the second half of the season within the team - not off with the Jaffa.

7) Sam - just great to see her back. Amanda looks fantastic. She seems to be more in the background and having less of an impact. I hope she is brought more to the fore where she should rightly be – though I don’t mean this in terms of taking time away from the other characters. I just want her time to be the quality Carter which existed in previous seasons. We got to see Sam in Battle which was great and Sam being eyed up again by Barret - poor chap - I think him sexy too!
            I really did like how Vala figured out how to stop the supa stargate from Sam's analysis. This is the Vala I want to see. If we got these two working together. Just drop the whole childish sexual innuendo cleavage revealing alien thing - it would just be brilliant - though they would totally outshine the rest of the male cast!!

So I'm still sat on the fence awaiting what the rest of the season brings and hoping that the writers change Vala totally not just tone her down. She is obviously too brave and intelligent to be the whining moaning type. The writers have her as 2 different people at the moment. She still could be the reason for me to stop watching Stargate depending on how she is written in season 10. If Sam is pushed to the background to give Vala airtime then I'm outta the show!!
            Wowza!! The Royal Accountant is so on task! I couldn't green you for this one but your honesty and insight deserve a medal!

You've made some very valid points and, if the writers take the higher road for S10 and follow some of your suggestions, we could have a winning season!

Vala as teasing flirt and Ben's oober flippancy could well do with some course adjustments ... I'm not too endeared of Landry yet. And, last night on Horseman 2, why oh why could they not let Hammond mention Jack and what he was doing as homage to RDA and also something for loyal fans who've watched through the years?! Jack is supposed to be in charge of homeworld security, right? Sorry, I'm drifting.

The Priors are dull and boring and remind me of some insurance salesmen and funeral directors I've met in real life. Give me the passion of a Goa'uld any day!

To sum it all up, I think Coley (and Astro) have spoken for me on a lot of the issues. Thanks, guys!
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 January 2006, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Wowza!! The Royal Accountant is so on task! I couldn't green you for this one but your honesty and insight deserve a medal!

You've made some very valid points and, if the writers take the higher road for S10 and follow some of your suggestions, we could have a winning season!

Vala as teasing flirt and Ben's oober flippancy could well do with some course adjustments ... I'm not too endeared of Landry yet. And, last night on Horseman 2, why oh why could they not let Hammond mention Jack and what he was doing as homage to RDA and also something for loyal fans who've watched through the years?! Jack is supposed to be in charge of homeworld security, right? Sorry, I'm drifting.

The Priors are dull and boring and remind me of some insurance salesmen and funeral directors I've met in real life. Give me the passion of a Goa'uld any day!

To sum it all up, I think Coley (and Astro) have spoken for me on a lot of the issues. Thanks, guys!
              Coley and CG, you're right about the Priors. I suggest they send them to the Ashen homeworld. Those guys would kill each other by induced boredom.
              No offence meant to our RA who is nothing like the residents of the "Accountants Planet"
              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                No offence meant to our RA who is nothing like the residents of the "Accountants Planet"
                *Thread accountants sharpen thier knives*
                love Torri

Comment

Sam - just great to see her back. Amanda looks fantastic. She seems to be more in the background and having less of an impact. I hope she is brought more to the fore where she should rightly be – though I don’t mean this in terms of taking time away from the other characters. I just want her time to be the quality Carter which existed in previous seasons. We got to see Sam in Battle which was great and Sam being eyed up again by Barret - poor chap - I think him sexy too!
                  I agree wit so many of your points, Coley!

It is true that Amanda/Sam is more in the background at this point of season 9, but I can't help but think that this is because of her schedule and maybe they were trying to give her a break. In every interview she comments on how difficult it has been to juggle everything, and how exhausted she feels. I'm disappointed in seeing less of Sam than compared to the first eight seasons, but I think this is expected, given her life situation as a new mom. Now maybe in some of the future episodes, we'll see more of her as usual (say Ripple Effect and Grace Under Pressure). And hopefully, please oh please, when we ever do see a team episode dare I say off-world, she will be right there.

Season 10 is a whole other issue. You make great points about how season 10 COULD be good---I hope the writers do this. Also, I would expect Sam to get her usual air time similar to season 1-8 because I think AT"s schedule may be smoother and she would be less exhausted in season 10 production. The sleep factor (i.e, lack of sleep!) should change by the time production starts again.

Let's hope TPTB do what you suggest! there is great potential here. Also, maybe they'll actually face the leadership issue head on in season 10. JM indicated that this is a possibility. Maybe they'll actually clarify the co-leadership situation. Who knows.

Comment

love Torri

Comment

Nice pic, Qasim. Here's my current fave, sexy, sophisticated, brilliant Sam.

Congratulations on your post count milestone, any second now.
                      sigpic
                      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        I agree wit so many of your points, Coley!

It is true that Amanda/Sam is more in the background at this point of season 9, but I can't help but think that this is because of her schedule and maybe they were trying to give her a break. In every interview she comments on how difficult it has been to juggle everything, and how exhausted she feels. I'm disappointed in seeing less of Sam than compared to the first eight seasons, but I think this is expected, given her life situation as a new mom. Now maybe in some of the future episodes, we'll see more of her as usual (say Ripple Effect and Grace Under Pressure). And hopefully, please oh please, when we ever do see a team episode dare I say off-world, she will be right there.

Season 10 is a whole other issue. You make great points about how season 10 COULD be good---I hope the writers do this. Also, I would expect Sam to get her usual air time similar to season 1-8 because I think AT"s schedule may be smoother and she would be less exhausted in season 10 production. The sleep factor (i.e, lack of sleep!) should change by the time production starts again.

Let's hope TPTB do what you suggest! there is great potential here. Also, maybe they'll actually face the leadership issue head on in season 10. JM indicated that this is a possibility. Maybe they'll actually clarify the co-leadership situation. Who knows.
                        Maybe we should consider season 9 as a transition season. There were so many things the writers had to face in terms of schedules, new cast, new storyline.
                        I agree that Sam has beeing more in the background lately, but if it's a way to accomodate AT's schedule, who's going to complain ?
                        Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't JM speak of more Sam/Vala interraction in season 10 ? I'm not addicted to his blog like some of you, so it could be a product of my crazy mind. But if it's true, maybe Coley's dream for season 10 could come true. I'm willing to hope for good storylines next year and more Sam and more team, especially more team.
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Errrm, to be fair, RDA earned that spot by having the lead in MacGuyver, just like Scott Baluka or whatever his name is got the lead in Enterprise because of having the lead in Quantum Leap and Ben Browder now has the spot cos he was the lead in Farscape. He's a bigger name than Tapping, apparently, he'll draw in the fans. Grumble, mutter, grumble.
                          Oh come on, he got the lead cause he's male.

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                            Oh come on, he got the lead cause he's male.
                            Yes, I'm sure that's the only reason. Must be why RDA got the lead when the show started, and why MS didn't get the lead this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                              Yes, I'm sure that's the only reason. Must be why RDA got the lead when the show started, and why MS didn't get the lead this season.
                              Oooooh. That was a little bit *****y, I think!

Anyhooo.... doing a little backcheck through a couple of pages (since I went to bed at 8.40 this morning)

Congrats Qasim on 9000. Puts my 2000 to shame, really.

AD, I'm sure we can share. What if we get Janet and Lam involved and have a four way rotation?

Chopin, your Over the Rainbow parody was spot on. Let's just hope for proper integration and development of all main characters.

Pics and stuff... the dirty Sam pic always goes down well in my book. I'm a big fan of GUP pics at the moment. Both fully clothed and not. And that AT wallpaper.... had to pick myself off the floor.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                Maybe we should consider season 9 as a transition season. There were so many things the writers had to face in terms of schedules, new cast, new storyline.
                                I agree that Sam has been more in the background lately, but if it's a way to accomodate AT's schedule, who's going to complain ?
                                Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't JM speak of more Sam/Vala interraction in season 10 ? I'm not addicted to his blog like some of you, so it could be a product of my crazy mind. But if it's true, maybe Coley's dream for season 10 could come true. I'm willing to hope for good storylines next year and more Sam and more team, especially more team.
                                Hi Lys ... "addicted" ... who's addicted?! hehehehe And just why aren't you?!

Yes, I think we all have to cut Sam some slack for the S9 re-entry to the show, but it won't prohibit me from doing my Judy Garland imitation .... I think those of us who have been watching Sam's evolution from the very first seasons through the somewhat bumpy terrain of S7-8 expected more from the writers/producers re: the handling of her MLA and subsequent return. Many of us are feeling let down. Television needs more, not less, of strong female role models. Sam Carter, as portrayed by Amanda, has been one of the best examples for years.

Juggling motherhood and a fulltime career is not an easy matter ... hats off to Amanda for even taking on such a daunting task! She laughingly speaks of sleep deprivation and moments of self-doubt but, in her last interview, I sensed a more balanced and good-to-go AT who had readjusted to the demands of both worlds and was thrilled that she had the opportunity to do both because Olivia can be on set with her. As Olivia grows a little older, the immediate physical demands may lessen and I think Amanda will be ready for taking on more and more around her character's further development. I was very pleased to read that AT feels strongly about advocating for Sam should the need arise. So S10 should bring more screen time and, hopefully, fuller re-integration of Sam to the world of SGC.

But, truth be told ... Sam in S9 is hurting ... she's not yet come into her own. Will she by end of season? That remains to be seen. I'm hoping that we will be treated to some classic and memorable Sam moments before it all wraps up. She's such a joy to watch!

Here's to the future of one of the best scifi characters ever created ... the writers may have drawn her up but it was Amanda who gave her life and longevity!

Comment

Working...
                                X