Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I loved Sam in season 2 (part II) :

How can you not love someone who explains black holes with a doghnut ?

What's better than base 8 math ?

Let's not forget that without Sam, Teal'c would have cut Jack's hair.

I loved Sam in 1969 because she wore cool clothes and was obsessed by a certain grandfather. Paradoxal, isn't it ?
    pics courtesy of Stargatecaps.com
    Last edited by Lys; 31 October 2005, 02:58 AM.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Just de-lurking.
      I know it's been a loooooong time since I last posted here, but I want to add my support for Amanda in whatever she does. She's a classy lady, and, actually, I hope she takes one of her other offers and gets the opportunity to really stretch her (undeniable) acting talents.

Comment

ooh, 180 posts to go, i mean 179

think we can do it samandans? can we rack up 20,000 posts so that the lucky gabiteers can tell amanda so?
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was going to write something like this in recognition of our 1000 pages, but it seems even more appropriate now, in light of the news from GABIT. I’ve said a lot of this before on this thread, as have others, but what the heck, what’s a celebration without some old relative droning on with stories you’ve heard before?

I’ve been an avid reader for all my life, and was drawn to science fiction in my teens, because at the time, it was virtually the only genre where women were allowed to be strong, or independent, or fighters, or leaders. Sad, isn’t it? The only way that women could be taken out of their “traditional” roles, even in fiction, was usually on other planets or in the distant future.

So I’ve been reading and watching science fiction on tv and in the movies since the sixties. If a science fiction show was on network television, chances are I watched it. In most of those shows, there were female characters, but most were not the leads. If they were featured in an episode, it usually had to do with romance in some way, because apparently, that’s what the writers think women want. There were exceptions to this, Captain Janeway, Kira Nerys, Susan Ivanovich, etc., and I certainly enjoyed those characters, and at the time, thought they were the best I could hope for. But they were still in the distant future and/or in a distant galaxy.

Then I found Stargate SG1. And Sam Carter. A woman in the here and now, who was strong, independent, a fighter, and if not a leader yet, certainly a woman who held the respect and admiration of her colleagues. Wow, I thought, finally, somebody got it right.

They’ve written a woman who is not there just because she’s a)married/engaged/dating the lead; or b) the token female who’s usually a scientist or doctor, “acceptable” roles for women

They’ve written a woman who’s on screen as much as the rest of the team.

They've written a woman who actually gets to fight with the rest of the team.

They’ve written a woman who doesn’t have to dress in a skin tight, cleavage exposing costume.

They’ve written a woman who is more concerned with her job and her teammates than with her social life(at least most of the time)

I’ve been waiting a long time for a character like Sam Carter. I think she resonates with so many of us because she could be us. Sure, much smarter and much better looking, and getting to do much more exciting things regularly, but it’s fiction after all. It wouldn’t be entertainment if she were dumb, ugly and led a boring life.

My very favorite shows are the ones which have a character that I can identify with in some way. I can’t put myself in the shoes of most characters who get to do really cool things on tv, for the simple fact that they’re male. So with Sam Carter, I got someone I could identify with, who actually got to do things like blow up a sun, go to other planets, shoot the bad guys, get hurt and actually bleed; not just sprain an ankle running in high heels from the bad guys and have to be saved by the male lead. In short, I got a female hero, an entity that’s been sorely lacking in television.

Here’s to Sam Carter and to Amanda Tapping, who’s made Sam real to us, and fought to keep her true.

NC

Comment

Thanks to CG & Kat for the GABIT report. I have to tell you, I just about teared up with pride over the fact that the flowers & the book were so appreciated by Amanda. I had only a small part--just being a member of Samanda--and give all the credit to the organizers--but just being a part of this all makes me feel good. It makes me think that the bunch of us sending letters of support to AT--we love her and back her however TPTB treat her, and whatever she decides--would not be unwelcome.

It would be great for her to have her own show--the detective show mentioned sounds cool. (the only down side is it being a Canadian show, so I wouldn't get to see it.) Part of me would love for her to tell RCC to shove it & watch the show go the rest of the way down the tubes. The fact that she hasn't signed her contract yet for S10 may mean she's waiting until they tell her what they have planned.

I wouldn't be surprised that TPTB "reasoning" (I use the term loosely) is:
            1. we love CB and Vala and the "hip" aspect she brings--& we can't afford both actresses
            *forgetting the great vibe the two of them together could add to the show

2. Amanda is "old reliable" & a "team player"--we can count on her to do what's "good for the franchise."
            *Yeesh!
            I was listening to the commentary for Reckoning & DeLuise commented on how Amanda really was good in one scene & Gary Jones said "When is she not?!" DeLuise: Never. Yep, they just take her for granted.

One has to wonder if Brad Wright were showrunner for SG1 this wouldn't have happened. Maybe Brad requested AT? I also wonder about the loss of RDA and Michael Greenburg as producers. Maybe they were more important to the integrity of the show than many of us realized?
            I'm skeptical about how Sam would fit on Atlantis. But I guess we'll see what happens.
            AT remains a great actress and a great person whatever the vagaries of the cutthroat world of show business.

Comment

Oh--and as for her not getting the book until recently. Maybe her assistant had to screen it (it is pretty big) to make sure it wasn't from wackos. And she/he found it was--but *good wackos.*

Comment

I have never posted on this thread but with the present news I just wanted to say how offended I feel on behalf of Amanda Tapping. I also feel that things have definitely changed since Brad Wright started working on SGA. I think that he had a real feeling for all of the characters and their storylines. I also believe that RDA had more influence on the overall running of the show than people give him credit for. Without him, Michael Greenburg and Brad Wright it seems that the show has taken a new direction. One that apparantly doesn't include Sam.

Comment

((((Samandans))))
                  I just downloaded the book. Whew, 385 pages!!! I've only read the intro and I am soooo impressed. You are an outstanding group of Samandans who conceived, developed and produced this magnificent book. Now I understand why Amanda expressed her appreciation and sought to personally thank the Samandans present at Gabit. Samandans Rock!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    What we've known all along: Amanda is Canada's hidden treasure and a class act all the way! Let's hope nothing but the best for her in months to come! She could not have had a personal convention at a better time - a roomful of people showing their support and love!
                    The name Amanda means 'worthy of love' (I know cos it's my name too ) and truly there was never a person more deserving.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                      I have never posted on this thread but with the present news I just wanted to say how offended I feel on behalf of Amanda Tapping. I also feel that things have definitely changed since Brad Wright started working on SGA. I think that he had a real feeling for all of the characters and their storylines. I also believe that RDA had more influence on the overall running of the show than people give him credit for. Without him, Michael Greenburg and Brad Wright it seems that the show has taken a new direction. One that apparantly doesn't include Sam.
                      i agree.

btw, i'm doing all my griping in the shipper thread. even non shipper sam fans might want to come over and comment on some of it. i'm trying not to do my griping here (don't really feel comfortable to), so that's why i'm inviting ppl over there to join the discussion. (you can just comment on the crap *i* said)

sally
                      Last edited by majorsal; 30 October 2005, 09:44 AM.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Amanda . if you read that ..please go away ..Do not return to SG1 and don't go to SGA either ...Go and do your other show where they will all treat you with more respect ...I will follow you there

Caty

Comment

I would like to say welcome and thanks to those first time visitors adding their comments and support and to those delurking and returning after absences - I am sure AT would be appreciative of the support.

Because there are so many new people coming by I will mention again for anyone interested to please visit the Mallozzi blog and add your comments of support there so that the dim bulbs making these decisions can see the reaction and the support for AT and the character of Sam Carter. The vast majority of the posts are resepctful but still get the point across that people are angry at TPTB, ALL of TPTB, for their compelte and utter mishandling of this situation. The more people show support (in a respectful manner) for both AT and Carter at a place where TPTB actually spend time the more maybe they will realize what a truly ludicrous move this is.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                            Amanda . if you read that ..please go away ..Do not return to SG1 and don't go to SGA either ...Go and do your other show where they will all treat you with more respect ...I will follow you there

Caty
                            I have to second this - please just make sure there is a way for us here in the US to get copies of the Canadian show she is going to do. I really do hope she takes the new opportunity after this shoddy treatment after 9 years of hard work and loyalty - for what . . . geesh what a bunch!!

Comment

Ludicrous, insane, disrespectful, short sighted, dim witted, absurd, preposterous, thankless…here begins the thesaurus entry for TPTB

Oh, how sharper than a serpent’s tooth is a thankless producer…

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                I have to second this - please just make sure there is a way for us here in the US to get copies of the Canadian show she is going to do. I really do hope she takes the new opportunity after this shoddy treatment after 9 years of hard work and loyalty - for what . . . geesh what a bunch!!

I third this. I would gladly pay anyone who would tape AT's new venture for the cost of tape and shipping. It would kinda be like TWoP user to user tape exchange.

It's almost 24 hrs. later and I still can't believe what their doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X