Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux
    I don't have just one question for Amanda, I have 10! These are the questions that James Lipton askes every guest he has on his show "Inside the Actor's Studio".

The first nine questions are really hard. I'll have to think about those, but the answer to number 10 jumped into my head immediately.
    10- IF Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Enter, my child.

Comment

Ok, I've had enough in the battlefield already. I don't know how you all last so long there!

Back to the safe and cosy kingdom I come.

Gee, thanks for the welcome backs from NC and Quas and Chop and anyone else.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Same with me, ChopinGal. I also would not have continued to watch Stargate without Sam Carter--she is the glue for me too. We'll have to see on the scripts for the future, but I have to say that what AT has been given thus far, she has taken it to its fullest.

I guess I'm seeing the glass half full tonight. Maybe because of reading Coley's report on AT's interview where things seem to be going really well, and she believes that she and Ben Browder are working well together. I wondered if she would comment on their working relationship, and I'm not surprised that it is going well because BB seems to be a nice guy and a good actor.

And maybe I am one of the few here---but I think Sam was coming into her own in Prototype and The Fourth Horseman. Sam's entrance into the fold seemed rough at first--which made sense given AT's own experiences getting back to work and Sam leaving Area 51---but I see Sam as very relaxed, competent, confident, and focused in the last two episodes, and she just did what she wanted to do and felt needed to be done. Because I thought that in the last two episodes, I am hopeful for the second half. AT sounded more comfortable when interviewed during filming of second half episodes.

I'm glad she is doing so many interviews!
        From your lips [finger tips] to the writers ears [eyes]. Let's hope you are correct in your viewpoint. I really, really, REALLY hope you are correct.

You'll have to forgive my negativity as of late. I deeply regret bringing down the spirit of the thread. I have a feeling the whole idea of getting on an airplane in three weeks is starting to sink in and my anxiety levels are on the rise. I may have to stay clear of the forum completely soon. Hopefully my family doesn't lock me away until my trip. Laugh.

Comment

ixnay on the torrentsbay

(in other words, no mention of alternative methods of viewing the episodes please. don't make me go moderator on you )

Personally, i do have a homemade dvd of threads from last year and boy am i glad that i have it. I also have a region free player but haven't gotten my discs yet that have that episode on it to know if region 2 has the long version or not

as to why scifi/mgm would mess with us....do you expect anything else??????

They seem to have caught onto the fact that many region 1 folks don't like to wait until they're allowed to buy the dvd's and buy region free ones, so they're futzing with the specials to 'punish' us and try to get us to buy a second or third set to get all the specials (either that or they're just flaming incompetant)

All they're doing is ticking me off. I'm fortunate enough to have the abilty to make my own personal dvd's of the episodes and the way they're acting (and the way the show's going downhill) those are more than enough for me at teh time. so they have bugs on them and messed up credits.....at least i'm only out a few dollars each instead of tons of money to still not get all the specials and the such

Now, region free players, they're increasingly common, and, sometiems, easy to make yourself. theoretically, all dvd players are region free, they are programmed for the market they're intended for. so, equally theoretically, they can be deprogrammed. there are sites out there that list the hacks (just punch 'region free dvd player' into google and see what pops up)

i got a personal dvd player for christmas and figured out how to hack it for region free.

one rub can be that the region 2 dvd's are made in PAL format - 25 frames per second - and the region 1 ones are NTSC - 29.97 frames per second - and sometimes arenot compatible with a tv, so that might be another issue. but a pal/ntsc converter fixes that....and it may not even apply to some lcd tv's

Up until this season, i used to buy the region 2 discs because i just didn't like waiting for a year to get the episodes (and the region 2 discs navigate better and have better specials too), but now that my interest in teh show is waning - and skiffy screwed us with a lack of commentaries - i doubt i'll do that anymore. if i buy the season 8 and 9 dvd's i'll jsut wait until the boxed sets come out and wait until they show up previewed here.

mgm is ticking me off enough that i'll wait a year to avoid giving them anymore money than possible...and for the s9 eps, like i said, i have my own homemade dvd's to tide me over
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            From your lips [finger tips] to the writers ears [eyes]. Let's hope you are correct in your viewpoint. I really, really, REALLY hope you are correct.

You'll have to forgive my negativity as of late. I deeply regret bringing down the spirit of the thread. I have a feeling the whole idea of getting on an airplane in three weeks is starting to sink in and my anxiety levels are on the rise. I may have to stay clear of the forum completely soon. Hopefully my family doesn't lock me away until my trip. Laugh.

Hey, ForeverSg1, don't worry about your "negativity" as of late---I know I've felt the same way and have expressed it here. And you didn't bring down the spirit of the thread at all--- you provided some really good points, as usual! It can be disheartening reading some negative comments as we all know, but it is just simply going to happen. When someone is popular, he/she is also a target as well for a few.

I'm glad you are going to Gabit---it sounds like it is going to be a blast all around!! I can't wait to hear how you all enjoyed it and what transpired!

Comment

i too am very glad that amanda did some interviews. i think part of it was in a response to 'where the heck is she' that we all felt...but i also hope that the interest helps to convince her and boost her self confidence that, yes, she is important to the show to us and yes, she was missed
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76

... Great poem, CG, and I think it applies to all Samandans.
                Absolutely, but I just wanted to put the spotlight on some of the newcomers too!

Funny, I spent about a half-hour last night scrolling through the early, early pages of this thread and, wow, what memories of the people and the discussions we had! At times, SaGC just took on a life of its own with a great rhythm. I'm so sad that Astrogeologist hasn't been able to return as she often provided such an energy and unifying force. We miss you, Keeper!

If you haven't yet caught on to this, the new upgrade allows you to scroll back much more quickly through past pages ... they now jump in increments as you start to go back ... try it, you'll see. That's why I ended up "rewinding" and reminiscing. We can be proud of what we've started here ... it is a good thread with a fine history of intelligent and witty discussions and a showcase of fans' talent too. I think we've provided a safe haven for Sam lovers. Thanks, MajorSal for starting it all in motion!

And, yes, there is still a flow and it's good to see so many of the oldies still with us and the newbies too!

Peace, Jester

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Yep, you're the only one ... I could be wrong ... Qasim and 1speed will have to speak for themselves.
                  Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                  Well, now you come to mention it...

I am going to ask Joe more about AT's audition
                  Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  b) One were to purchase a Region 4 Disc player
                  Most DVD players can be set to multiregion if you know the codes - if anyone is interested pm me the make and model of your dvd player and I will check if it can be done with yours
                  Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  And there's always Mr. Torrent as well
                  Mans best friend
                  Originally posted by deepspace
                  Quas
                  I think I will have to remove the U button from your keyboard
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Hey, ForeverSg1, don't worry about your "negativity" as of late---I know I've felt the same way and have expressed it here. And you didn't bring down the spirit of the thread at all--- you provided some really good points, as usual! It can be disheartening reading some negative comments as we all know, but it is just simply going to happen. When someone is popular, he/she is also a target as well for a few.

I'm glad you are going to Gabit---it sounds like it is going to be a blast all around!! I can't wait to hear how you all enjoyed it and what transpired!
                    Chocdoc, you took the words right out of my mouth on how I feel about ForeverSg1's posts. I tried to green rep both of you, and also Qasim for offering to help with DVDs, the sweetie that he is, but you know how it is. Walks away ranting to herself on lack of green jello and the sexist world we live in, especially the dumb PTB of Stargate.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                      Qasim for offering to help with DVDs, the sweetie that he is[/COLOR]
                      Mmmmm...sweeties for everyone
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

I finally had time to thoroughly read all your posts from last night.

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                        i think joe and paul can write very well for female characters. so can brad wright. deluise isn't too shabby either. i don't think that TPTB are sexist, they're just men, and write from a mans perspective. sometimes men don't realise that they don't necessarily have to write differently depending on a characters gender. i think amanda does a great job of helping them out on sg-1 in that regard. she and TPTB pretty much saved the show, when she told them that "women don't talk like this".
                        you need to consider here that sam's been a great character for years now because they've had good writers.
                        I totally agree with that. I think the writers do deserve credit for their work and the way they have written Sam in the last 9 years. Granted, there were episodes where I thought, why the h... did they do that? That's just so not Sam. But I think part of the problem is that there is not only one writer coming up with the stories and developing the characters. All of them have different life experiences and all of them have different perspectives. Considering this, it is actually amazing, that the characters did develop the way they did.

Another thing that needs to be considered when it comes to TV shows is that you only have so much time to tell your story. Two-parters are okay from time to time, but I noticed it with the first 3 episodes this year, it doesn't work when it drags on for too long. As a result, they have to fit the story in a very tight timeframe, often to the detriment of story telling and character development. More than once did I hear that (a) scene(s) had to be cut out, which would have explained in more detail why a character did what he or she ended up doing.

However, it is true that writing the "soft" or "girly" side of Sam, whatever you want to call it, is really not the strongest point of the writers. Somebody said it's because they write Sam how they would like a woman to be or react in a certain situation, and I believe that is true. The strongest evidence on this point is Chimera. At first I was thrilled to get to know that side of Sam, but I was quickly disappointed, because it just did not fit the character. Dressing up, okay, that's one thing (wonder whose fantasy woman that was ), but Sam would have never acted that way. Same with the scene where Sam accepts Pete's proposal and later, when Sam dumps him. No way would Sam have done this.
                        I have to say, I was happy and relieved when I read that Amanda had her problems with those scenes herself. And it's simple to explain, no woman would have reacted that way.

sam carter is the strongest female character in sci fi, and still very feminine, because thats how the actress portrays her. all the writers have to do is write a storyline and let AT do her thang.
                        So true. The writers come up with great stories, but they really should leave the feminine part of Sam to Amanda. Clearly, Amanda knows what she wants and where she wants to go with Sam. No matter who writes the stories, Amanda is the one who knows Sam the best and who has made Sam the soldier, scientist, and woman she is today.

For me it is clear: the reason why so many women admire Sam and can identify with her, is Amanda's hard work and dedication. When I read how much thought and love Amanda puts into this character, I am often overwhelmed. I never heard another actress or actor talk about their character the way Amanda does. Not only does she take the time to understand all the technobabble, but she also makes the effort of talking with TPTB to improve the character.
                        If TPTB would have gone on with the character the way it was written in COTG, we would not have the Sam today, we all have come to love.

Long story short: I think the writers do deserve credit for Sam and the stories, but Amanda has taken those stories and has made Sam the strong, intelligent, capable, and inspiring woman we see today. And for that I am ever grateful to her.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76However, it is true that writing the "soft" or "girly" side of Sam, whatever you want to call it, is really not the strongest point of the writers. Somebody said it's because they write Sam how they would like a woman to be or react in a certain situation, and I believe that is true. The strongest evidence on this point is [I
                          Chimera. [/I]At first I was thrilled to get to know that side of Sam, but I was quickly disappointed, because it just did not fit the character. Dressing up, okay, that's one thing (wonder whose fantasy woman that was ), but Sam would have never acted that way. Same with the scene where Sam accepts Pete's proposal and later, when Sam dumps him. No way would Sam have done this.
                          I have to say, I was happy and relieved when I read that Amanda had her problems with those scenes herself. And it's simple to explain, no woman would have reacted that way.

So true. The writers come up with great stories, but they really should leave the feminine part of Sam to Amanda. Clearly, Amanda knows what she wants and where she wants to go with Sam. No matter who writes the stories, Amanda is the one who knows Sam the best and who has made Sam the soldier, scientist, and woman she is today.

For me it is clear: the reason why so many women admire Sam and can identify with her, is Amanda's hard work and dedication. When I read how much thought and love Amanda puts into this character, I am often overwhelmed. I never heard another actress or actor talk about their character the way Amanda does. Not only does she take the time to understand all the technobabble, but she also makes the effort of talking with TPTB to improve the character.
                          If TPTB would have gone on with the character the way it was written in COTG, we would not have the Sam today, we all have come to love.

Long story short: I think the writers do deserve credit for Sam and the stories, but Amanda has taken those stories and has made Sam the strong, intelligent, capable, and inspiring woman we see today. And for that I am ever grateful to her.
                          Good comments. In general the writers have done a good job, with some doing better than others. I have to agree that the way they handled the Pete situation was bad. I was actually liking him (he had a certain appeal)with Sam until that horrible selfish morning after display. When he wouldn't even stop to listen to her & immediately went out to do a background check that was it. I don't think she would have taken him back after that. I'm not even get into the whole engagement thing except to say that Pete was portrayed less and less like anyone Sam would hang out with, much less marry. And the Sam-Jack thing was terrible. (of course, I'm an anti shipper, but still I think it made Sam & Jack both look bad.) It's great to read that AT thinks they're getting back to the "real Sam" now.
                          One of the things that shows what a pro AT is, is that even though she didn't like some of the storylines or the way scenes were written, she still brings us along with Sam. There's no "phoning it in" (even when she did sort of phone in during Avalon.)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            Personally, i do have a homemade dvd of threads from last year and boy am i glad that i have it. I also have a region free player but haven't gotten my discs yet that have that episode on it to know if region 2 has the long version or not

It has - at least I think. It is a total of 60mins long.

However I have not got any audio commentries!!! I bought the single dvd's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              It has - at least I think. It is a total of 60mins long.

However I have not got any audio commentries!!! I bought the single dvd's!!!
                              There are no commentaries for Threads on R2 the box-set either.
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Oh cripes AD - I'd better check that it was volleyball. I couldn't remember exactly what it was.

The lass was really thrilled about being on the winning side.

Do you think she may be a little competitive??!!

Comment

Working...
                                X