Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there no "real" relationships on either show?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andi_b
    I Some normal sexuality does make the show more believable. You can do that in PG too.
    I sometimes start to wonder if these people are entirely well adjusted, if they can't sustain, or start a relationship at that age.

It's very depressing character wise. But mostly I try not to think about.

At least we have fanfiction.
    ----
    There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
    serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

I think there are a lot of fans out there, who don´t want to see a relationship in a sci-fi serie. There was already a discussion about that. Maybe the producers have a similiar opionion like a lot of people. It simply wouldn´t match the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
        I don't know why writers find it so difficult to write a relationship and make it interesting. It doesn't have to take up much of the show at all. Something that could be going on in the background.

I didn't like the Sheridan and Delenn relationship at all. .Thats the problem with putting two main characters together because if you don't think they make couple material it can be really irritating
        I don't think they neccesarily find it difficult, so much as they have more important - in their opinion - issues to deal with, so personal relationships get overlooked. (TPTB did take note of the lack of interpersonal moments in S2 and are, thankfully, revisiting that.)

That's a very good point you make. There's two main ships in SGA: Sheyla and Sparky, and maybe that's why neither is being made canon yet; it's possible that by going with one pairing they would lose viewers. Those who shipped for the other pairing, or didn't see either pairing, would find the new development irrating and grating to watch.

Not saying that applies to all shippers/viewers. Personally, I'll keep watching aslong as they keep putting out good storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
          I don't think they neccesarily find it difficult, so much as they have more important - in their opinion - issues to deal with, so personal relationships get overlooked. (TPTB did take note of the lack of interpersonal moments in S2 and are, thankfully, revisiting that.)

That's a very good point you make. There's two main ships in SGA: Sheyla and Sparky, and maybe that's why neither is being made canon yet; it's possible that by going with one pairing they would lose viewers. Those who shipped for the other pairing, or didn't see either pairing, would find the new development irrating and grating to watch.

Not saying that applies to all shippers/viewers. Personally, I'll keep watching aslong as they keep putting out good storylines.
          As someone who is vehemently against both Sheppard/Teyla and Sheppard/Weir, I wouldn't stop watching the show, but I would probably leave the GateWorld forums and other forms of online fandom, simply to avoid the gloating.

(Besides, who says that if they do ship on the show, that it has to be one of those pairings? There are much simpler, more subtle, less obtrusive pairings that could be done, IMHO)

I feel like in Stargate, any successful ship would have to be background ship. As much as it has great characters (and as much as I live for character development), it has to keep the plot going. Romance would be a great way of causing conflict, but there are better ways out there.

Also, the truth is that real, healthy relationships with a couple of madly in love people get annoying rather quickly. After all, nothing makes you act like a giggling adolescent faster than falling in love, and I would rather see my characters acting like mature, in-control adults. Especially after the disastrous decisions that made up the latter part of Atlantis' second season.
          They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
          Spoiler:
          Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Working...
          X