No announcement yet.

The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDA is an amazing actor, and his portrayal of Jack's denial that Daniel is truly gone is pretty amazing. In the first episode of the sixth season, Hammond is pressuring him to find someone to take Daniel's place and he just won't hear of it. Not one bit. And I love the fact that he is so dedicated to Daniel and his memory.

It also feels like RDA himself was taking it personally that Michael was gone (of course that's just my opinion). Both Shanks and RDA seemed to put a LOT of themselves into their characters, so when they're on stage talking about them, we feel like we're seeing Jack and Daniel, and not just the actors.

Comment

This reminds me of 'Forever in a day'.
      I know it's not the same situation like in 'Meridian' and propably not to compare...

It all happens in Daniel's mind, but in his vision, Jack's reaction about Daniel decision to leave SG1... if it would be in reality, he would react the same, not accepting Daniel's resignation and not accepting anyone as his replacement.

Comment

Not sure if I can do this, but I wanted to link to a Jack/Daniel wallpaper that I made. No photo manipulation, just a dedication to the amazing episode that is Meridian:

http://elisedq.deviantart.com/art/Th...hing-683218537

Comment

Oh that's lovely..and I think that's pretty fine amongst GW guidelines...using caps and actual pics from the episode is fine and the words are lovely ...

Beautiful work.....for a beautiful episode and two beautiful men...

Deeds xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by AlmostAntique View Post
            This reminds me of 'Forever in a day'.
            I know it's not the same situation like in 'Meridian' and propably not to compare...

It all happens in Daniel's mind, but in his vision, Jack's reaction about Daniel decision to leave SG1... if it would be in reality, he would react the same, not accepting Daniel's resignation and not accepting anyone as his replacement.
            That's a fantastic point. It all goes to show how important Jack feels Daniel is, to the team and to him.

Originally posted by nephilimeq View Post
            Not sure if I can do this, but I wanted to link to a Jack/Daniel wallpaper that I made. No photo manipulation, just a dedication to the amazing episode that is Meridian:

http://elisedq.deviantart.com/art/Th...hing-683218537
            That is one lovely wallpaper!

Comment

I just watched Abyss, and all I could see was how Michael and Richard bring out the best acting in the both of them whenever it's just the two of them on a screen together. The dialogue between Jack and Daniel had so many meanings that it just floored me!

For example:

D: “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe you could do it.”

J: “Hey, this is me we’re talkin’ about!”

D: “Yes, it is. Now, please. Just try…to open your mind.”

J: “Oh, stop it, will ya?”

D: “C’mon, Jack! You think the Asgard named a ship after you because they thought it was a cool name? Now’s not the time to play dumb, you’re a lot smarter than that. They saw our potential in you! Because of who you are and what you’ve done. Humanity’s potential! That’s the same thing Oma saw in me.”

J: “I am not you!”

That yell of "I am not you!" is Jack trying to tell Daniel that he doesn't have the same sense of conscience that Daniel does. That he thinks so little of himself, that he doesn't know how anyone could compare him to Daniel in any way because he always thought of Daniel as being better than him. It's heart wrenching and beautifully acted by RDA, and the battle of wills between them is amazing to watch on screen! Daniel has so much confidence in Jack because he's seen Jack be a good man and make the hard decisions in the past, but what Daniel doesn't realize is that the only reason Jack was ever able to make the right decisions was because Daniel was there to be his conscience.

It shows up in the next episode in a series of brief conversations with the very people who tried to frame Daniel for the explosion in their lab, the Kolonans.

SC: “Well, according to their commander, the Kolonan government wants to re-establish trade relations with Earth.”

J: “I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.”

GH: “It’s not that simple, Colonel.”

J: “They tried to frame Daniel!”

--

Kolonan: “I am sure we all regret what happened. But I don’t think anything was said or done to damage relations between us irreparably.”

J: “You accused a member of my team of sabotage to cover up your own incompetence!”

General Hammond then says to Jack later...

GH: “The joint chiefs are meeting in an hour. They’re going to want me to give them a recommendation.”

J: “We can’t do it, sir.”

GH: “You don’t think we should help them defend themselves?”

J: “No, I have nothing against them defending themselves, but…how do we know they’ll stop there?”

GH: “You sound like Dr. Jackson.”

It was because Jack had just seen Daniel that the dark, less than unconscionable side of Jack disappeared for a while, and he was able to use his anger over Daniel's death to keep his conscience intact, and it's just so wonderful to see RDA take his acting to the next level and draw from emotion from a previous episode and pull it throughout the entire story!

He brought home just how important Daniel really was to Jack, and how important their relationship still was, even though Daniel wasn't there. He portrayed how much people are truly affected when people they care about leave them in such an unexpected way. It was an honest portrayal of how one man was dealing with his grief, and it was wonderfully done, in my opinion.

Comment

"It's good to see you."

"Yeah, you, too... It's a shame that you're...a delusion."

"No, I'm here, I'm...really here."

"Sure, you are."

[Jack throws his shoe at him]

"Here in the sense that my consciousness is here, if not here in the full physical flesh and blood sense, which is really neither here nor there; the point is, you're not imagining this."

"I just tossed my shoe through you."

"Yes, you did. That's because I've ascended to another plane of existence."

"Ohh..."

"Remember Oma de Sala, the glowing thing, you helped me out? I couldn't have done that without you, remember that?"

"Yeah..."

The look that Jack gives Daniel at being reminded that he was the one who helped Daniel "ascend"...holy crap. It's so subtle, but so wonderful (I love RDA's acting choices in this episode, btw), it's painfully obvious to me that Jack resents being reminded that he helped his best friend, essentially, die. Ouch. I mean...look at his reaction:

And then a little bit later...

J: "Sooo...not a delusion?"

D: "No."

Jack genuinely thought up until that point that he was hallucinating. Why? Because Daniel was always the one that he turned to for help when it came to that sort of thing, and so he wasn't the least bit surprised when he saw Daniel appear to him. Heck, he acted as if he expected it! So, the instant he realized he wasn't hallucinating, he tried to have Daniel bust him out of prison, and when Daniel wouldn't (holding to his higher moral calling of being Ascended), Jack was resentful.

I think what took Jack most off guard was the fact that Daniel thought that he was worthy enough to be Ascended, just like him. Poor, Jack. He needs someone to believe in him because he can never believe in himself, and Daniel was the only one of the other three who ever seemed to truly believe in that side of Jack.

Comment

Just a little piece dedicated to when Jack sort of lost it the first time he thought Daniel was dead. Nothing fancy, just fun to make:

http://elisedq.deviantart.com/art/Br...=1&ga_recent=1

Comment

These two are pretty awesome friends, in my opinion. I'm in a lot of different fandoms. A lot. And there are a lot of friendships out there that are pretty darn amazing, but Jack and Daniel's has so much trust and respect, which is why I'm sure that it's my favorite one.

Daniel learned how to use a gun, because he eventually understood that Jack was right, that diplomacy and kind words only worked so far, and Jack learned how to become less "shoot first, ask questions later" because of Daniel. They attempted to learn from each other, and that is what made their friendship so strong.

So, this is for their friendship, and all the different layers to it.

Red is for trust, Yellow is for loyalty, and Green is for support. Which is everything that they gave to each other.

Comment

Don't worry being late to the party so was I! I found Stargate through seeing Michael Shanks on Saving Hope the year before that finished!!

Comment

Love both the words and the artwork! Great work for two wonderful men!

Comment

I might just go to a corner and cry quietly...

Both Michael and Rick announced for The Hub's big Stargate celebration in Australia later on in the year..

https://twitter.com/TheHUBBUB/status/872412936194596864

https://twitter.com/TheHUBBUB/status/873411792956923904

Australia is too far away for this fangirl

Hope they get a panel together and that it's a) recorded and b) gets lots of photographs

Deeds xx
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

OOOOHHHH!!!! I just looked into it, and now I am looking at prices for tickets to Australia...

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM AT A COMICON TOGETHER!!!

I'll invest in a really nice camera and use more PTO from work, because this would be TOTALLY worth blowing a couple of grand over. *grins maniacally*

Comment

I am bringing my work friend into the Stargate SG1 fold, but I am trying to mainly hit highlight episodes that she can still get the gist of, while also emphasizing the amazing-ness of the Jack/Daniel friendship.

Any suggestions for Season 1?

Comment

Try Fire and Water for evidence of Jack/Daniel friendship.

Comment

Working...
                                X